Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Fanfics with "sacrificing"?

Clarity

Lately, I've been thinking about something.

Many fanfics, or actually any story, novel, whatever in particular, have characters who sacrifice themselves for the better world or something, and another character grieves for them, making the scene really sad and all.

I thought it was really brave of whatever the character did that, but then I think it's becoming a common trend, and it didn't have so much of an impact on me anymore.

What do you think about the stories where a character sacrifices themselves to save the world?

It's pretty much in every story that I've read, let alone fan fictions.

Take Harry Potter for example, it happens multiple times. Lily (Harry's mum) sacrifices herself to save her son, Harry.

Many characters do this, such as Sirius Black, Dobby ( :( ) and everyone at the battle for Hogwarts.

So, it's not too surprising when I see that someone has died for somebody else in either a story of a fan fiction.

• Brohoof 1

As someone who's written a story like that, I think it can be a good plot device for a character turn. That said, I believe it generally affects you less when you don't have a good connection to the character.

Heck, it happened in the Gears of War games. Spoilers for anyone who hasn't played Gears 3 yet.

When Dom died I damn near cried about it.

But that was the result of good story telling in which a character was made out to be likable and you never thought they'd die.

Short side: I don't mind character deaths because they can be powerful when written correctly. That said, it's always sad to lose a character you really like.

Lately, I've been thinking about something.

Many fanfics, or actually any story, novel, whatever in particular, have characters who sacrifice themselves for the better world or something, and another character grieves for them, making the scene really sad and all.

I thought it was really brave of whatever the character did that, but then I think it's becoming a common trend, and it didn't have so much of an impact on me anymore.

What do you think about the stories where a character sacrifices themselves to save the world?

overplayed I've long since grown out of it and started playing with amorality in story.

It goes down very well in the mlp universe because it's meant to be morally sound full of goodness and joy. But let's be realistic, there's no such thing.

As such when you explore it with the greyness of morality attitude, you end up with a pony (and headcanon) universe that is in reality pretty fked up.

wonder why grimdark (even the terribly written ones like cupcakes) is so popular. There's your answer.

Sadfics are also popular in this way as that shows a dynamic you will rarely see in the show and yet your mind thinks, stuff like that HAS to happen in Equestria.

Because the sacrifice isn't what matters. What really gets readers is the loss and how easily readers empathise with that.

Readers can't empathise with sacrifice, humans are natural cowards and quite self indulgent.

Sacrifices are always things that, if the mood is well set in, the characters have enough development, and the story is in an important point of the plot, it's always something that gets to the readers. Trend or not, I will agree with one thing Ceresbane said. Since MLP: FIM doesn't have that much of a sacrifice point (or at least not in the VERY serious point of the word, like death), then imagining the point of "What would happen if...?" is always something that can make up for good stories. Also, like Shadow Chaser said (I REALLY need to learn how to mention :mellow: ), you might not get the full feel of the sacrifice if you don't relate to the character who did the sacrifice enough. Since I tend to connect myself deeply with the majority of the stories, the sacrifice thing whenever it comes up always gets to me. I don't know whether it's a trend or not, but if you DO read a lot of stories with the same triat, eventually, unless it's very good and well written, it won't get to you as much as it did before. For example, anyone who reads enough grimdark stories will eventually go "Meh" at the gory parts, unless the story and description of said parts is so good you just CAN'T ignore it. Or if you read enough comedy stories, eventually, many will not make you laugh anymore unless a ) They are good, or b ) they are so random you just can't help but laugh at how ridiculous it is. This is something that can happen to all of us, but I do think some might get tired faster than others and viceversa.

I think it also depends on how the main character is explained in the fic.

If it's a character that isn't explained very well, and you don't know much about him, then it doesn't really have much of an impact.

However, if it's a character that you grown to love and care about throughout the story. Seeing him change and whatnot. Especially if it is put in the right moment and described well, I can see it having a huge impact.