Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Analyzing and improving Applejack as a character.

Clarity

How would you improve AJ as a character?  

24 users have voted

1. 1. Choose your answer

• Have her flaws stand out more.
    • Give her a special, unique talent.
    • Moar episodes. GOOD episodes with no character stealing the spotlight.
    • A song. A long and epic one.
    • Have her play more of a part in group episodes.

Applejack is underrated. Big deal, I've been saying that, another person has been saying that, everyone's been saying that.

Applejack has zero character development. Again, everyone says that. In any topic about AJ, there's always someone saying that kind of thing.

Applejack is background pony. Here is the common insult that AJ haters love to say, to troll us. Yes, there are insults for other characters, as well, such as neat freak or arrogant jerk. But this comment here is special. Not in a good way, of course. It's unique for Applejack. Unique of her to be part of the mane six, yet also a background pony.

Now here's the thought. Why do people say these kinds of comments so often when talking about Applejack?

Let's see what she has.

- Bucking ability.

- Lasso ability.

- Athletic.

- Farmer working at Sweet Apple Acres.

- Honest friend with a great personality.

I'm going to analyze each of those traits.

Bucking Ability - She's extremely skilled at it because she's been doing this ever since she was a little filly. Applejack can buck apples much better than her relatives in Appleloosa and probably anywhere else. In other words, she's pro at it. She's better at applebucking than everypony else...except for Big Macintosh, Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash, Twilight, and possibly even Rarity.

Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash can fly into the trees as seen in Cider Squeezy. Seeing as even Fluttershy can make all the apples fall off, it's more than likely Rainbow Dash can, too. Twilight harvested an entire quarter of the Acres with her magic. Rarity may be less magical than Twi, but she can levitate things perfectly well, and thus I believe she could harvest at least two at a time. Big Mac can harvest an entire tree with one leg, while AJ needs two.

Lasso Ability - Vital in catching Discorded Rainbow Dash in the Return of Harmony; she's a great shot, even catching RD at high speed. This ability is also shown in Boast Busters and Fall Weather Friends. However, if this was to be AJ's primary ability, it should be shown more often. It has not, and therefore is not her unique ability.

Athleticism - This trait is shared with Rainbow Dash. She appears to be much stronger than RD in her hind legs, but extremely weak in her front legs. Which raises a question. How did RD get her forelegs stronger than AJ's? AJ bucks with her hind legs. She stands on her forelegs. Which means that they should be plenty strong too, and not just Bucky McGillycuddy and Kicks McGee.

Rainbow Dash is almost as strong as AJ, and yet AJ is nowhere as fast as RD. I compare them, because those two are the most athletic.

Farming - The whole Apple family does that.

Honest friend- Perhaps the only thing that makes Applejack stand out as a character is that she's the best supporting friend there is. She always tries to comfort her friends and hates disappointing them, as shown in the Last Roundup.

Is that the type of thing that's going to earn her popularity? No. Some people - only some - don't appreciate what a good friend does nowadays.

That's the end of my analyzation. No bias.

Which part of those traits - ANY of them - make her stand out?

None, right?

Exactly! (I'm answering my own questions, wow. :P )

So that's what I think. I think that (bias included) Hasbro should make her friggin' undeveloped character go developed and stop trying to dump her. I can tell you exactly when her hat disappears because they forgot to include it.

Yes, Hasbro, in my opinion, pretty much forgets about Applejack. Search up the Crystal Fair Song, go to the end, and try to find Applejack. You can't.

So what does she need to stand out? To prove that she isn't just a background pony, a filler of space?

Does she need a special talent?

Twilight - Powerful magic

Rainbow Dash - Fast speed

Pinkie Pie - Pinkie sense

Fluttershy - the Stare

Rarity - Gem findings, best fasion designer

And Applejack has...applebucking. Yay. Woohoo. :huh:

Does she need more character flaws?

Twilight - OCD, know-it-all

Rainbow Dash - Arrogant

Pinkie - Nagging, sometimes

Fluttershy - Shyness and helplessness

Rarity - Drama queen and also somewhat arrogant

Applejack is stubborn. I can also say she's uncouth, bad-tempered, and argumentative, but when have those traits ever been even mentioned or shown in an obvious way?

Does she need a song?

Twilight - Well, every one of her songs stand out.

Pinkie - Smile song

Rainbow Dash - Find a Pet was actually featured, and she has the best part in the Gala song.

Fluttershy - Again, Find a Pet.

Rarity - Becoming Popular

Applejack has no song or a part of a song that stands out.

Does she need a good, quality episode, or something that would make her seem more interesting?

Twilight - Lesson Zero

Pinkie - All

Rainbow Dash - Sonic Rainboom

Fluttershy - Hurricane Fluttershy

Rarity - Sisterhooves Social and A Dog and Pony Show

Applejack has Applebuck Season, which is as plain as socks, and the Last Roundup, which was stolen by Derpy.

Please tell me what you all think, and analyze her character, and think of ways to improve it.

• Brohoof 6

Applejack is underrated. Big deal, I've been saying that, another person has been saying that, everyone's been saying that.

Applejack has zero character development. Again, everyone says that. In any topic about AJ, there's always someone saying that kind of thing.

Applejack is background pony. Here is the common insult that AJ haters love to say, to troll us. Yes, there are insults for other characters, as well, such as neat freak or arrogant jerk. But this comment here is special. Not in a good way, of course. It's unique for Applejack. Unique of her to be part of the mane six, yet also a background pony.

Now here's the thought. Why do people say these kinds of comments so often when talking about Applejack?

Let's see what she has.

- Bucking ability.

- Lasso ability.

- Athletic.

- Farmer working at Sweet Apple Acres.

- Honest friend with a great personality.

I'm going to analyze each of those traits.

Bucking Ability - She's extremely skilled at it because she's been doing this ever since she was a little filly. Applejack can buck apples much better than her relatives in Appleloosa and probably anywhere else. In other words, she's pro at it. She's better at applebucking than everypony else...except for Big Macintosh, Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash, Twilight, and possibly even Rarity.

Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash can fly into the trees as seen in Cider Squeezy. Seeing as even Fluttershy can make all the apples fall off, it's more than likely Rainbow Dash can, too. Twilight harvested an entire quarter of the Acres with her magic. Rarity may be less magical than Twi, but she can levitate things perfectly well, and thus I believe she could harvest at least two at a time. Big Mac can harvest an entire tree with one leg, while AJ needs two.

Lasso Ability - Vital in catching Discorded Rainbow Dash in the Return of Harmony; she's a great shot, even catching RD at high speed. This ability is also shown in Boast Busters and Fall Weather Friends. However, if this was to be AJ's primary ability, it should be shown more often. It has not, and therefore is not her unique ability.

Athleticism - This trait is shared with Rainbow Dash. She appears to be much stronger than RD in her hind legs, but extremely weak in her front legs. Which raises a question. How did RD get her forelegs stronger than AJ's? AJ bucks with her hind legs. She stands on her forelegs. Which means that they should be plenty strong too, and not just Bucky McGillycuddy and Kicks McGee.

Rainbow Dash is almost as strong as AJ, and yet AJ is nowhere as fast as RD. I compare them, because those two are the most athletic.

Farming - The whole Apple family does that.

Honest friend- Perhaps the only thing that makes Applejack stand out as a character is that she's the best supporting friend there is. She always tries to comfort her friends and hates disappointing them, as shown in the Last Roundup.

Is that the type of thing that's going to earn her popularity? No. Some people - only some - don't appreciate what a good friend does nowadays.

That's the end of my analyzation. No bias.

Which part of those traits - ANY of them - make her stand out?

None, right?

Exactly! (I'm answering my own questions, wow. :P )

So that's what I think. I think that (bias included) Hasbro should make her friggin' undeveloped character go developed and stop trying to dump her. I can tell you exactly when her hat disappears because they forgot to include it.

Yes, Hasbro, in my opinion, pretty much forgets about Applejack. Search up the Crystal Fair Song, go to the end, and try to find Applejack. You can't.

So what does she need to stand out? To prove that she isn't just a background pony, a filler of space?

Does she need a special talent?

Twilight - Powerful magic

Rainbow Dash - Fast speed

Pinkie Pie - Pinkie sense

Fluttershy - the Stare

Rarity - Gem findings, best fasion designer

And Applejack has...applebucking. Yay. Woohoo. :huh:

Does she need more character flaws?

Twilight - OCD, know-it-all

Rainbow Dash - Arrogant

Pinkie - Nagging, sometimes

Fluttershy - Shyness and helplessness

Rarity - Drama queen and also somewhat arrogant

Applejack is stubborn. I can also say she's uncouth, bad-tempered, and argumentative, but when have those traits ever been even mentioned or shown in an obvious way?

Does she need a song?

Twilight - Well, every one of her songs stand out.

Pinkie - Smile song

Rainbow Dash - Find a Pet was actually featured, and she has the best part in the Gala song.

Fluttershy - Again, Find a Pet.

Rarity - Becoming Popular

Applejack has no song or a part of a song that stands out.

Does she need a good, quality episode, or something that would make her seem more interesting?

Twilight - Lesson Zero

Pinkie - All

Rainbow Dash - Sonic Rainboom

Fluttershy - Hurricane Fluttershy

Rarity - Sisterhooves Social and A Dog and Pony Show

Applejack has Applebuck Season, which is as plain as socks, and the Last Roundup, which was stolen by Derpy.

Please tell me what you all think, and analyze her character, and think of ways to improve it.

If there's one thing I hate, it's when other people tell this joke. I HATE IT, HATE IT, HATE IT!

Anyways, I just want her to get her own song and a full episode to herself that isn't stolen by random characters. That's all I ask :(

• Brohoof 1

I think Applejack could use a song. In my opinion I think by giving her a song, she'd either be the main character of the episode, or the second most important one in the episode. I sort of like how undeveloped she is. I don't know why, it just makes her character more interesting, because were not tied to a certain aspect of her character.

was stolen by Derpy.

Actually it's only stolen by derpy if you allow it to be. I view the episode more for Applejack, other then Derpy. Also I think it was one of the better episodes. Easily my second favorite.

I feel like a lot of Applejack fans are very paranoid about her "becoming a background pony".

Chillax, bros.

She's a part of the Mane 6 and an Element of Harmony. She's not going anywhere, and plus, more episodes are being made in Season 3. She is going to get plenty more episodes, just be patient.

As far as the "Applejack haters", I haven't ever personally run into them.

I feel like a lot of Applejack fans are very paranoid about her "becoming a background pony".

Chillax, bros.

She's a part of the Mane 6 and an Element of Harmony. She's not going anywhere, and plus, more episodes are being made in Season 3. She is going to get plenty more episodes, just be patient.

As far as the "Applejack haters", I haven't ever personally run into them.

I was being paranoid? I apologize. I was just trying to analyze her character and the reason why she was called a background pony in the first place.

I have run into AJ haters myself, though.

I think Applejack could use a song. In my opinion I think by giving her a song, she'd either be the main character of the episode, or the second most important one in the episode. I sort of like how undeveloped she is. I don't know why, it just makes her character more interesting, because were not tied to a certain aspect of her character.

But the reason she was so uninteresting was because she is undeveloped and nothing stands out about her.

Actually it's only stolen by derpy if you allow it to be. I view the episode more for Applejack, other then Derpy. Also I think it was one of the better episodes. Easily my second favorite.

I have never allowed Derpy's role to take my eyes off Applejack's part in that episode; however, it has made OTHERS...yeah.
  • Brohoof 1

I was being paranoid? I apologize. I was just trying to analyze her character and the reason why she was called a background pony in the first place.

I have run into AJ haters myself, though.

Nonono, i didn't think you personally were being really paranoid.

I'm just seeing a trend recently that a lot of bronies are acting like Applejack "becoming a background pony" is possible/going to happen if they don't do anything about it.

To be Honest, I think AJ's character is fine as it is, she's down to earth, hard working, and she doesn't need a spotlight like the rest of the characters, in my opinion that's what makes her unique from the rest, she stands out for being plain and simple, what's not to like about that? :3

....but a song and another episode for her would be pretty neat, considering that she does deserve a little more appreciation. o3o

• Brohoof 2

Well, it's hard to really develop her character much until we learn more about her. As far as we know, she's perfectly content with her current lifestyle. She has nopony to please (like Twilight), or dream to fulfill (like Dash). At the moment, she's already reached where she wants to be in life. Now I see where you talk about The Last Roundup being an AJ episode and I would agree were it not for the fact that she is missing for half the episode.

What I really would like to happen is for one of two things to be revealed. One is more info about the situation with her parents. If they are, as is a common idea, dead, then that could open a well of character development for her. Two is for more information about her time in Manehattan. How long was she really there for? It seems like it may have been a day or two, but what if it was longer and things actually happened? What if her Aunt and Uncle Orange go somewhere and need her to come and manage their business?

AJ does need more love and for that to happen she needs more development and for that happen I think we need to learn more about what makes her tick.

She is a great source of support for her friends and family so I think this needs to be played out a bit more. The impact she has on others should be more emphasized so the audience is more aware of her contributions to the team. The fact that she doesn't have much development is her biggest strength because that gives that much more room to grow! She just needs the writers to do something with her. A song would be a step in the right direction in her getting the attention she rightfully deserves.

AJ is the normal one of the group. She has no problems or ticks. Everypony else has some sort of issue.

AJ may not wow us with song or some sort of development, with season 3 on the herizon there is no dont

*no doubt that were going to get more out of her character. IBM really looking forward to it. Well that's just my opinion anyway....

• Brohoof 2

Sad but true applejack truly is a underrated character in the show. IMO I don't think they need to change anything about her. I would love to see an episode of her singing or just another episode based on her. I think they could do a good job of giving applejack some attention in season 3. I hope that they do because i enjoy her as a character a lot!

Flaws that could be explored:

Argumentativeness - but then she would be alleviated of one of her most entertaining quirks (when combined with her opinions on practicality vs. stylization)

"Annoying" verbal accent - Petty critique, stop being such a jackass. You don't persecute the Germans, why would you persecute an Ozark Mississipian?

Uncouth - This could be explored in a less formal way, seeing as it's already been used as a joke in several episodes.

Bad-tempered - I do not believe she is. She is strong-willed and driven. In most situations she is very polite, even when she is competitive.

A thing that could be explored is where she gets her mindset from. Is it her parents? Is it her brother? Was it how she was raised in school?Why was she so alienating towards Zecora and so completely different from Apple Bloom in Bridle Gossip?

"Annoying" verbal accent - Petty critique, stop being such a jackass. You don't persecute the Germans, why would you persecute an Ozark Mississipian?

Woah there partner. When have I ever said ANYTHING about her voice?

I love her accent!

On a side note: Can someone please tell me how delete this? People are trying to troll and irritate me because I just wanted to analyze her character.

One could make the argument that Rarity cannot pick apples, or at the most, any faster than Applejack can. Moreover there isn't really a statement on any of their speed of apple-bucking that isn't subject to interpretation. One could equally argue that they all can pick at the same speed, and any illusion otherwise was just the manipulative editing of the hard-work montage in TSSCS6K. Additionally, Twilight picking half the orchard in a single second in Applebuck Season was a plot-convenient gap of story judgment which could be contended against seeing as it was in the Original 4 Pilot episodes. Recall how Applejack could magically levitate a ticket at the end of The Ticket Master.

On a side note: Can someone please tell me how delete this? People are trying to troll and irritate me because I just wanted to analyze her character.

In responses or in Private Messages?

Either way you can report them.

I wouldn't change Applejack one bit. I think she's great, sure you can argue that she doesn't get enough of the spotlight but she's modest and i think that plays to her character.

I wouldn't change her personality either, but people complain that she's too "perfect" and needs more flaws to stand out. So I believe that her character flaws should be more emphasized in her episodes.

A song and a non-western themed episodes based on her is all it would take to save her imo (Prefrebly a episode with herand fluttershy doing something cray). She'll still be my fav pony regardless tho.

Applejack needs a song all to herself, or at least with a duet with Rainbow Dash. Her color scheme may also be bland to some people, but I really love her color scheme! I really like the was she is farmer and I think that really promotes unity among ourselves.

I would find it funny if Applejack got a love interest and Rarity was panicking over an apple farmer being better at relationships, than a fashion designer.

• Brohoof 1

I think Applejack's flaws should stand out more. If you ask me, she's basically the Perfectly-perfect in the show.

All of the other characters in MLP:FiM have specific problems that they try to fix, which is their sole purpose and ambition. For example; Twilight wants to completely learn the elements of harmony and stuff, and learning new spells, etc. Or, The CMC. Their sole ambition is to earn their cutie marks. (Because no one wants to be a blank flank forever!)

I wouldn't change her personality either, but people complain that she's too "perfect" and needs more flaws to stand out. So I believe that her character flaws should be more emphasized in her episodes.

Actually, for example Rarity does not really have a problem that she is trying to fix in her character/life. She's all about drama, if you ask me. One of my least favorite characters. Of course, back to applejack. One might agree that not all of the mane 6 should have flaws.. I mean, this is not communism, there can be inequalities once in a while. Brohoof if you agree.

Anyway, I feel sorry for AJ aswell.. I really am sad that she is growing less and less popular in the show

:'(

-PON-3/Vinyl

Edited by DJ PON-3 Vinyl Scratch