96 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was ok.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

(edited)

Rarity acted like an idjit, but it was still a great, classic episode.  One of my top five for a long time until others edged it out.  A great Dash defining episode.  Her heroism was wonderful.  This episode also showed that Rainbow is the most likely of all the characters to project an outward appearance of confidence while secretly feeling insecure, thus establishing the depth these characters have right from the beginning.

Also this:

143482121_MLPCaptions-Fall.thumb.jpg.d71e2e3eecc621966aa63a60e9a9669c.jpg

Edited by Justin_Case001

• 5 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Absolutely love this one. Rarity's wings were very pretty but she seemed to pride herself too much. I really liked seeing RD do the Rainboom and seeing the bullies apologize at the end.

Great episode for many many reasons! Sonic Rainboom, more greek mythology, walking on clouds, seeing weather factory, a worried and heroic rainbow and of course :yay: -moment and many more

Everything here makes me love this episode :) Despite my love of the Fluttershy's YAY I think the moment when RD archives the sonic rainboom is my favourite moment of this episode. And the rainboom introduced in this episodes is used multiple times in the show. So it's one very important episode :wub:

• Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...

This is one of my favorite episodes in the entire series and is part of why Rainbow Dash is my second favorite character B)! With an interesting concept, great worldbuilding, and a wonderfully written story, this episode has so much greatness going for it.

Fluttershy and Rainbow were (and still are) my favorite characters, so I was excited to see those two being featured in the iconic beginning gag :yay:. I became even more interested when it was revealed that Rainbow had signed up for the best young flyers competition to pull off a sonic rainboom. Not only did it introduce a fascinating concept, but it gave us a few laughs by showing a cheering Fluttershy subplot. It'd also nice to see how supportive the rest of the group was also, being willing to go great lengths to see her perform.

Then there was all the amazing worldbuilding we got for Cloudsdale (the best location) and pegasi (my favorite ponies). This was the episode where it was shown that only pegasi are born with the ability to walk on clouds. It also expanded the concept of controlling the weather by introducing the Cloudsdale weather factory. Then there's the city Cloudsdale itself, which gave us a big look at the epic Greek/Roman influenced architecture and the awesome pegasus culture. Plus, before this episode, we had no idea that pegasi had such a grand metropolis in the sky. It's really a shame how underutilized this great place was.

Going back to the actual story of the episode, after the fun tour of Cloudsdale, it was time for the competition. The fact that RD was so nervous before and during the competition really helps to show how deep her character can actually be. Of course she's very competitive, but deep down she can be nervous and she really just wants to prove herself to her friends and others. Seeing this attitude coming from RD was different, but well welcomed. Then when everything came down to it (which included Rarity and the wonderbolts falling to their death) she pulled off the Sonic Rainboom and saved the day in a stunning display! To say the least, it was a very satisfying ending to an amazing episode :wub:.

Funny thing is, I've hardly scratched the surface on all the details that make this such an amazing episode. There are so many great things about it, which is why this is one of my favorite episodes in My Little Pony!

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

So the sonic rainboom is a thing now. I imagine it being an unlock-able skill like, Rainbow Dash has unlocked a new skill: Sonic Rainboom

First thing I want to talk about are the visuals, mostly cause I think that's the best part of the episode. The magic animation, the weather factory, that one move the Wonderbolts did, and of course, the sonic rainboom and gossiper wings. All of them look like a lot of work was put into them and was honestly impressive for season 1 in my opinion. I also think it's interesting to learn how the weather in Equestria works, like snowflakes are made by hoof. Also Rarity blowing the snowflakes away to me is like a metaphor to the butterfly effect, how even a small flap from a butterfly's wings can lead to a big problem.

Then there's background ponies. One of the problems I have with them are that some of them don't have a set species and just revolve from time to time. For instance, in this episode, we see Doctor Whooves and Caramel turn from earth ponies into pegasi. Another is when they appear for odd reasons, such as when Lyra Heartstrings, who is a unicorn, can be seen in the bleachers. There is the possibility that could've used a cloud walking spell like the mane 6, which I find hard to believe since we haven't seen her do magic outside of what average unicorns can do. Or she was there to fill in the spot and was expected not to be caught since the only reason I was able to see her was because I paid unreasonably close attention.

The visuals, the world building, and the things we can learn from this episode is what I enjoy the most about the episode. I know to some people, Rarity is a bit stuck on herself and her wings, but I'd argue that she was just enjoying it because it was something she never once had in her life before, so I wouldn't mind. Same goes for my gripes since they are small compared to what I like about the episode. A good MLP episode all around, I must say.

• Brohoof 1

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Really enjoyed it, which was surprising since I only remember liking this one a little.

Once again, the animation really had a lot of room to shine. The visuals were just amazing overall, which I guess was because of all the rainbows, but it seriously impresses me whenever I watch this episode.

The story itself was solid. Rainbow Dash's characterisation was done very well. This was the point where I really started to really like her as a character and that's because of how well she's written. We've mostly seen her being cool and cocky, but seeing her at her lowest really gave her so much more depth. Makes it more fun to watch her succeed too.

Rarity going power hungry was an okay plot thread. It was just kind of there, but I didn't have any issues with it. It was just okay. Of course, let us not forget the Yay meme, which truly is a national treasure.

Great episode and one of the finest from the first season.

I'll give this one a 9/10.

Edited by Cash In
Updated thoughts
  • Brohoof 2

• 5 months later...
(edited)

I love this episode. I am a little sad that for the rest of the show, we didn't get more of magical butterfly wings, elderly pegasi, and Cloudsdale in general.

Edited by Rosy Moonlight
  • Brohoof 1

• 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

This was really a great episode. Rarity’s “power trip” was a little weird, but I can somewhat understand it given her characterization. I really think it expands Rainbow Dash’s character. Also, we get to see Cloudsdale!! Yay!!

• 1 month later...

This is an okay episode saved by my favourite mare. Rainbow Dash saves the episode just by saving Rarity and the Wonderbolts (good job guys, you got got by a falling unicorn in an ugly costume). Seeing Rainbow Dash getting more and more nervous is just too cute but of course, when the time needs it, she pulls off her Sonic Rainboom (hey, that's the title of the episode !). Cloudsdale is great, I wish we could've seen more of it. And the weather factory. And those three pegasi stooges that bullies my little Dashie deserves to be sent straight to Tartarus.

6.5+1/10, Sonic Rainbooms are cool and Rainbow Dash is cool.

• 5 months later...