Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Blindsight's art thread (last upd. 12/20)

Blindsight

Soo this is my "official" art thread! Make sure to take a look at newer posts, those are much better than this, for example (in my opinion), at least. In this post, there are only uncolored sketches...

You can also check my deviantArt (link's in my signature - I also take super cheap commissions there)! Soon I'll start a commission thread in here too, so stay tuned!

(Oldest to newest drawings from top to bottom.)

Posted Image

Older OCs, named Smoke Puff and Lotus.

Posted Image

One of my friends asked me to draw her as a pony. No name for this one.

Posted Image

Another OC, named Lovely Bones (after the movie). She collects skulls.

Posted Image

Another OC, or rather a changeling ponysona. She has no name.

Now, some humanized pony fanart!

Posted Image

Sweetest Fluttershy.

Posted Image

Pissed Pinkamena.

Posted Image

...aaand another Fluttershy.

Today I also drew a ponysona, but I have no idea what her name should be. Here she is. (The top drawing is basically a knock-off from SHED.MOV, but whatever. :/ )

Posted Image

Her cutie mark is an all-seeing eye, as you can see and her special talent is intuition and seeing visions. Maybe even ghosts, but I'm not sure about that one.

Edited by Blindsight
  • Brohoof 14

those are very well done, a (maybe in parts close to anime) style you don´t see everyday, I like! :)

I really wish I could draw in this more shady (I don´t know what to call it) style, like not having exact lines, please keep it up

selena guardi/ guardina (gu spoken j) is all I could make up, i don´t really know, something italian seemed more fitting to me ...

Edited by Your Friend
  • Brohoof 2

I think the biggest thing I can nitpick is the style of pony you're drawing in.

Posted Image

^I was going to write a tutorial that would use this visual, but I was having second thoughts about writing it, but I saved this part in case there was gonna be a use for this.

Look at this diagram. Look at how the head generally shrinks in height from base of the jaw to the top of the head. There is a general tendency in art to use smaller head-to-height ratios on baby-ish and cute characters. Larger head ratios on characters are for more ideally beautiful or in the case of Iron Will, make them appear more terrifying as characters who have proportionally small heads are usually because they're huge.

Look at the first pic. Whenever I think of overdone makeup and cigarettes being put together in the same character, I think of them as rather promiscuous persons. I think that clashes a bit with the low head-to-height ratio that's making your first pony look a bit like a baby as her height in heads are about 2.75 heads. To compare, the vectors here used for fillies and mares are roughly 2.66 and 3 respectively. I dunno what people think, but it feels a bit weird seeing a 'filly' smoke and wear overdone makeup.

Ever wondered what that same OC would look if she had a much smaller head for her height? I think there would be less stylistic clash as proportionally larger heads work much much better for cute stuff.

Edited by Pix3M
  • Brohoof 4

Those are really good, that Pinkie Pie is going to give me nightmares. They all seem to have a kind of goth feel to them, well that's if I am using the term goth correctly.

@@Pix3M,

That chart is really nice I need something like that right now sins I am working on my OC though my first drawing is going to be more my style less show accurate. My next drawing will be as show accurate as I can get. The nice thing about that chart is even if you are doing a style the is not like the show it gives you a better sense of what the proportions are.

Edited by Lux Brush
  • Brohoof 4

Wow, I really really adore your style. I've noticed you use pencil in your drawings, have you ever thought of using biro using Bic pens? I'm asking because that last one with flutters looks like it's been done in pen. ^_^

Anyway, I love that changeling one you've done is amazing, draw more changelings! xD

• Brohoof 2

those are very well done, a (maybe in parts close to anime) style you don´t see everyday, I like! :)

I really wish I could draw in this more shady (I don´t know what to call it) style, like not having exact lines, please keep it up

selena guardi/ guardina (gu spoken j) is all I could make up, i don´t really know, something italian seemed more fitting to me ...

Thank you! Yes, I watch a lot of animes, so it's very likely that I also draw ponies that way. :D You mean I should shade more? I'll try to, although usually I'm too lazy to do that...

I think the biggest thing I can nitpick is the style of pony you're drawing in.

Posted Image

^I was going to write a tutorial that would use this visual, but I was having second thoughts about writing it, but I saved this part in case there was gonna be a use for this.

Look at this diagram. Look at how the head generally shrinks in height from base of the jaw to the top of the head. There is a general tendency in art to use smaller head-to-height ratios on baby-ish and cute characters. Larger head ratios on characters are for more ideally beautiful or in the case of Iron Will, make them appear more terrifying as characters who have proportionally small heads are usually because they're huge.

Look at the first pic. Whenever I think of overdone makeup and cigarettes being put together in the same character, I think of them as rather promiscuous persons. I think that clashes a bit with the low head-to-height ratio that's making your first pony look a bit like a baby as her height in heads are about 2.75 heads. To compare, the vectors here used for fillies and mares are roughly 2.66 and 3 respectively. I dunno what people think, but it feels a bit weird seeing a 'filly' smoke and wear overdone makeup.

Ever wondered what that same OC would look if she had a much smaller head for her height? I think there would be less stylistic clash as proportionally larger heads work much much better for cute stuff.

Ooh, thank you! This diagram is really helpful. I know that I make their heads too big, but somehow I don't notice it until I'm almost done, and by then I don't have the patience to redraw either the head or the body. :unsure: I'll use this picture as reference for my future drawings, thanks for the advice. :)

Wow, I really really adore your style. I've noticed you use pencil in your drawings, have you ever thought of using biro using Bic pens? I'm asking because that last one with flutters looks like it's been done in pen. ^_^

Anyway, I love that changeling one you've done is amazing, draw more changelings! xD

Thanks! I haven't ever heard of "Bic" pens. :blink: I drew the last Fluttershy with a simple ballpoint pen during class.

I can draw a changeling for you if you'd like. :)

• Brohoof 3

Ooh, thank you! This diagram is really helpful. I know that I make their heads too big, but somehow I don't notice it until I'm almost done, and by then I don't have the patience to redraw either the head or the body. :unsure: I'll use this picture as reference for my future drawings, thanks for the advice. :)

I can't remember the exact workflow of established mangakas, but one thing you can do to make sure you're drawing figures with appropriate head sizes is to establish the height of the head by marking two lines. Then using that distance as a unit of distance, you draw more lines down with the same length. When you have three equal sections then you should have a framework for deciding more proper proportions.

You can look up human body proportions and see how various diagrams dissect human proportions by using the head as a unit of measurement.

• Brohoof 1

Thanks! I haven't ever heard of "Bic" pens. :blink: I drew the last Fluttershy with a simple ballpoint pen during class.

I can draw a changeling for you if you'd like. :)

*Takes a deep breath* YES ! I'd absolutely love to see more changelings from you! :D

Haha, sorry a 'Bic' pen is just a brand of pen that I prefer. You know those pens with the four different colours in just the one pen? One of those. ^-^

• Brohoof 3

Wow those are some pretty sweet drawings! Quite alot of them to :P, seems you scribble quite alot. Your very good at it to from these pictures!

As for the OC, I think her name should be hmmm.. I'm just gonna start thinking of names and typing them lol.

Blindsight, Blindeye, Brighteye, Futuresight, Foresight, Blindhoove? Um.. sorry if their pretty random and bleh. Just thinking on the spot :P. If it gives you any ideas I'm glad for that!

Again wonderful job with the art!

• Brohoof 2

So, can you help me to give her a name?

In the attempt to procure a name befitting of both your character and the MLP universe, I forged the following:

Sixth Sense

Double Vision

Second Sight

Sophic Vibes

• Brohoof 3

I don't know. I'm not so certain that you should be so quick to change your style. An artist's style is like their fingerprint, and no two artists ever have the same style. Perhaps what works for you and for your drawings is something that others are not so fond of. That's perfectly OK. In fact, that might even be a good sign.

You'll always have critics. If you change your style to suit each one, then it may rob you of a chance to find and fully develop your own personal style, and from what I see here, that would be a tragedy. Your drawings are fantastic and they carry with them a certain distinctive style that I find quite fascinating.

As far as head size goes. I agree that a larger head size is typically used to denote a more "innocent" character. That is what the convention is, but who cares about convention? Half of the fun in art and other creative mediums is doing what people do not expect. There is no true "one true way to do things" in art. There is only the way that things have been done in the past, but rigidly adhering to them does not make good art.

Think about it, if all artists only did what was expected, then what would be the fun of art? Think about something else. Most, if not all, of the great works of art are great because there was something about them that separated them from what was the norm at that time. Then, there is another thing, many times, works of art that are now considered great were not very well liked when they were first published. Why? Because they were different and because they shattered expectations.

Here's my thinking. A distinctive art style is not something that needs to be corrected. It is something that needs to be grown and developed so that it can flourish and become even more distinctive. You will never achieve true greatness in any area of life by conforming to expected standards. Unconventional thought is the foundation of genius.

Now, I'm going to get off of my soapbox and actually talk about the art. :D

To say that I love your style would be an understatement.

The first picture is actually one of my favorites. When I first saw the character, the only thing that I could think of was that she was an interesting take on the femme fatale archetype. The large head size and that particular mane-style actually made me immediately think of a ponified Betty Boop. So, a gritty, ponified, femme fatale with some level of cuteness? I am ok with this. (BTW, smoking is bad, but I think that the inclusion of the cigarette in the first picture actually worked for the portrait and created a very nifty film noir vibe.)

The rest of the drawings were excellent as well! I rather like how your OCs have a tendency towards cuteness while at the same time throwing some curveballs. Lovely Bones? A pony that looks like that... Collecting skulls? I love it! :D A changeling OC that doesn't look outright evil (just somewhat dubious)? I love that too! I am not generally a fan of humanized ponies, but I rather like the way that you have drawn those as well (particularly your Pinkamena).

By the way, I really had to do a double take when I was looking at the last drawing. Geeze, that was a wonderfully subtle use of the shed.mov style. As for the character herself, I think I've suffered from cuteness overload. This is definitely my favorite of all of these drawings.

Sixth Sense

Double Vision

Second Sight

Sophic Vibes

Gosh, these are fantastic. I would like to put in a vote for Second Sight. It not only makes sense for the character, but it is also quite pleasant sounding to the ears.

As a side note, this NeverPony guy... Is pretty awesome. A talented wordsmith with a really quite remarkably distinctive art style that grows on you over time... I find myself contemplating some of his drawings at the weirdest times. They cause my imagination to really get going. I find myself imagining the elements of the pictures in motion and then imagining the world in which they exist.

@, as I was looking at your artwork, you know I had that same feeling? I could literally see each drawing springing to life. Each and every drawing has so much personality in it that I can't help but think about the characters... Their personalities and their worlds. I can imagine imagine that these are going to probably stick in my head just like the work of several other artists on this site. And... That is how I know that I have seen good art.

• Brohoof 7

What. The buck.

Lemme add your drawing style to the list of drawing styles I like best, and lemme note that I should, in the future, ask you to draw my main OC Nightfall.

That is, in plain English, I love you. I mean, your art. This art... Right here. :blush:

• Brohoof 3

I really love the shading you use on your drawings. They all look amazing!

Still...the quality on the changeling mare is simply incredible. *picks jaw up off of floor*

Thanks! Yes, the changeling looks better because I put actual effort into drawing that one.

I can't remember the exact workflow of established mangakas, but one thing you can do to make sure you're drawing figures with appropriate head sizes is to establish the height of the head by marking two lines. Then using that distance as a unit of distance, you draw more lines down with the same length. When you have three equal sections then you should have a framework for deciding more proper proportions.

You can look up human body proportions and see how various diagrams dissect human proportions by using the head as a unit of measurement.

Yes, I know those proportions, but I meant that in anime and manga, heads are usually bigger that in real life.

I tried drawing smaller heads for my ponies since your last post, but I have to say that I like them better with bigger ones. That's probably because I usually go for a scary-cute atmosphere, not an absolutely grown-up and serious one. But I appreciate your advice, and I like to try new things from time to time anyway. I'll keep that diagram, too, it's really helpful.

good lord...these are really good????? wow i love your style, it's so cute and animeish and different from how people normally draw mlp characters, i just...i don't really know what else to say about this. jeeeeez.

Thank you!!

*Takes a deep breath* YES ! I'd absolutely love to see more changelings from you!

Haha, sorry a 'Bic' pen is just a brand of pen that I prefer. You know those pens with the four different colours in just the one pen? One of those. ^-^

Oh, that ones! I didn't know their brand was "Bic", I always just called them four-colored or switching pens.

These look awesome. I like how they are in your own style. The changeling one has to be my favorite, just because you see many changeling ponysonas.

Thanks!

Wow those are some pretty sweet drawings! Quite alot of them to, seems you scribble quite alot. Your very good at it to from these pictures!

As for the OC, I think her name should be hmmm.. I'm just gonna start thinking of names and typing them lol.

Blindsight, Blindeye, Brighteye, Futuresight, Foresight, Blindhoove? Um.. sorry if their pretty random and bleh. Just thinking on the spot. If it gives you any ideas I'm glad for that!

Again wonderful job with the art!

Haha yeah, I usually scribble random things when I'm bored (and apparently that happens quite often). Oh, I really like Blindsight! I'll take that into consideration, thanks!

Those are beautiful! I saw your avatar earlier today and hoped I'd see more of your drawings and these are so wonderful! Thank you for sharing them here. <3

Oh, thank you! Seems like it was a good idea to use one of my drawings as an avatar after all.

I really like the fact that your not doing show style, or you were trying to... oh what ever i like the style! I love your changeling ponysona i have to get me one of them!

Thanks!

In the attempt to procure a name befitting of both your character and the MLP universe, I forged the following:

Sixth Sense

Double Vision

Second Sight

Sophic Vibes

Ooh, nice ideas! I like Second Sight. I'm still in the process of serious thinking about the name, though. Since I'm probably going to use her name as my own here.

What. The buck.

Lemme add your drawing style to the list of drawing styles I like best, and lemme note that I should, in the future, ask you to draw my main OC Nightfall.

That is, in plain English, I love you. I mean, your art. This art... Right here.

Thank you! I'd gladly draw your OC if you give me a reference picture or two.

@, as I was looking at your artwork, you know I had that same feeling? I could literally see each drawing springing to life. Each and every drawing has so much personality in it that I can't help but think about the characters... Their personalities and their worlds. I can imagine imagine that these are going to probably stick in my head just like the work of several other artists on this site. And... That is how I know that I have seen good art.

Thank you for this long a detailed reply... Actually, you made me tear up a little :') (I woke up at 4AM and read through new replies, and yours especially made my heart flutter.) However, I wasn't about to change my drawing style because of a comment, but I like to try different things and wanted to see if I'd like them ponies better with smaller heads. (Apparently, not. Not cute enough!!)

I like how you instantly understood the cute-scary contrast I'm trying to show in my drawings. I have a kick for cute yet twisted characters.

I wish I could write some more as a reply, but argh, nothing comes to my mind!! I can't thank you enough for writing this much to me and giving such deep thoughts. You, sir, made my day (/week). ^^

Edited by Ropi
  • Brohoof 4

As a side note, this NeverPony guy... Is pretty awesome. A talented wordsmith with a really quite remarkably distinctive art style that grows on you over time... I find myself contemplating some of his drawings at the weirdest times. They cause my imagination to really get going. I find myself imagining the elements of the pictures in motion and then imagining the world in which they exist.

You flatter me with words unfit, for I know of no such savvy. Still, I savor your sensibility, and am pleased you delight in my demeanor.
  • Brohoof 1

You flatter me with words unfit, for I know of no such savvy. Still, I savor your sensibility, and am pleased you delight in my demeanor.

Why sir, I, for one, find your art to be rather impressive! Your style is flattering in a eerily impressive way. (Do my words make any sense? lol)

Anyway, here's a digitally drawn picture of (a clone of?) Pinkie Pie... Beware, I'm no good with coloring! That's a reason why I included the original sketch. I actually like that one better. :I

Posted Image

FUN FUN FUN FUN FUN !!!

...aaand some more digital sketches.

Posted Image

(Currently I'm experimenting with styles, so expect very different drawings...)

(Might update soon with different style sketches, boop boop.)

Edited by Ropi
  • Brohoof 3

Why sir, I, for one, find your art to be rather impressive! Your style is flattering in a eerily impressive way. (Do my words make any sense? lol) Anyway, here's a digitally drawn picture of (a clone of?) Pinkie Pie... Beware, I'm no good with coloring! That's a reason why I included the original sketch. I actually like that one better. :I 

[img=http://i45.tinypic.com/k9f6vk.jpg]

FUN FUN FUN FUN FUN !!!

...aaand some more digital sketches.

(Currently I'm experimenting with styles, so expect very different drawings...)(Might update soon with different style sketches, boop boop.)
Cute!

With regards to naming your ponysona, I would suggest something like Greyline Allsight... That is my current suggestion, but if you want another one, I cold try to come up with one. ;)

Cute!

With regards to naming your ponysona, I would suggest something like Greyline Allsight... That is my current suggestion, but if you want another one, I cold try to come up with one. Posted Image

Hmm, that sounds a bit complex. o3o Right now I like "Blindsight" the best, which was recommended by @Zygen. ^^ But thanks for the suggestion! :)

Edited by Ropi
  • Brohoof 1

These are adorable and original!  I love love love finding some MLP are with some personality!  I get so tired of seeing carbon copies of ponies from the show.

Also, I agree with everything @Scootacool said.  In the world of art, it's easy to copy somebody else's style... but to come up with your own is really something to marvel at.  Especially when somebody can pick you out personally from a big pile of art.  :)

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

These are adorable and original!  I love love love finding some MLP are with some personality!  I get so tired of seeing carbon copies of ponies from the show.

Also, I agree with everything @Scootacool said.  In the world of art, it's easy to copy somebody else's style... but to come up with your own is really something to marvel at.  Especially when somebody can pick you out personally from a big pile of art.  Posted Image

Thank you! Posted Image

Um, so again, here's another drawing, colored digitally and all (a bit better than the previous Pinkie Pie). As you can see, I tried a new style here I really like! Might stick with this, who knows. I've spent about 3 hours on this, I guess.

Edited by Blindsight
  • Brohoof 1