Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

planning Pony D&D, anyone?

Alex Kennedy

Please don't take any of this personal, I really enjoy rp'ing with you:

To be honest, I don't think Equestria is a good setting for D&D, mostly because violence does not fit the setting and all threads worthy of a campaign would be tackled by the Sisters/the Mane Six.

Maybe setting it in pre-classical Equestria could work, but still D&D is a fighting game so we are really limited to fighting other intelligent creatures (griffons, ponies, zebras) whom to fight seems wrong, or baddies that would curvestomp any party with ease (hydra, dragon, changeling queens).

Either way, the thought of ponies killing just leaves a bad taste...

I think an AU setting with a humanized version of Equestria might work better (and save us the trouble of homebrewing rules for races without hands and wings). Just have "Equestria" pop out somewhere in Forgotten Realms and we're good

PS: How are you planning on running this: which edition?, what program?, Skype?

PPS: However you decide, if you need any badly drawn art done, don't hesitate to ask.

I don't take it personal, in fact I kind of agree with you, but I really want to give it a try and I think I can make it work. I actually probably would have done humanized but two of the three people who have given me feedback wanted to stick with ponies.

The way I run D&D actually doesn't have as much combat as you might expect. There are essentially two types of campaigns, standard kick down the door campaigns, and diplomacy/story campaigns, but I really don't feel like going into a detailed explanation and you probably don't want to read one anyway. The point is, in terms of combat, I think I can handle it. It won't be easy, granted, but I'll do my best and I think I can provide enough viable enemies.

To answer your questions I already said in the OP that it would 3.5 and the rest will be determined by what other people want to do. I would love to have you make some art for this, if I can think of anything for you to draw. I really love your style (hence the avatar).

Having said all that, you shouldn't feel obligated to play. I understand if you don't want to, I just wanted to invite you in case you were interested. For a while I wasn't sure if I was going to get anyone to play, so I won't be heartbroken if you don't.

:(

That's okay, just hit me up, if there ever is a humanized game/you found something that needs drawing.

Same goes for anyone who needs a character portrait.

I actually might end up running two simultaneous games, in which case one of them will be humanized, so I'll keep you up to date.

• Brohoof 1

I don't mean to sound impatient, but when will we be getting in contact with each other? It would be nice to talk about this stuff in a more direct and immediate manner than through a forum.

I guess it depends on when everyone is ready. I'll try to arrange something in the next 24 hours.

I haven't played D&D for a while, but I'm totally in. I'm guessing my OC's special vehicle wouldn't be allowed. I would love to give a MLP:FiM D&D thing a go. 

I'd say yes to the interaction with the characters, but not go overboard with it.

I'd prefer an Anthro version, but will do the pony version.

I don't care to much about the races, I'm going Unicorn anyway. 

Attention Everyone: I'm downloading skype right now, so that we can do this in a more efficient manner. I suggest everyone else do the same. If that's a problem for some reason, tell me and I'll see what I can do.

That's okay, just hit me up, if there ever is a humanized game/you found something that needs drawing.

Okay, I'll be a little heartbroken, but still.

I haven't played D&D for a while, but I'm totally in. I'm guessing my OC's special vehicle wouldn't be allowed. I would love to give a MLP:FiM D&D thing a go. 

I'd say yes to the interaction with the characters, but not go overboard with it.

I'd prefer an Anthro version, but will do the pony version.

I don't care to much about the races, I'm going Unicorn anyway. 

I'm glad to have you on board. We'll probably be playing over skype, so if you don't have a skype account I suggest you get one. As for the vehicle, not immediately anyway; we'll see where it goes I guess.

And with your choosing anthro, we officially have a stalemate, meaning the only possible solution is a bloody civil war!... or I can just manage two campaigns, I really have nothing better to do anyway

Edited by Alex-Kennedy

• Do you want interacting with the mane six and other characters from the show to be a big part of the campaign?
  • Do you want to play in a humanized (or elfisized, gnomified, halflingificated) version of equestria, or stick with ponies?
  • What races do you want to use? Just the three pony tribes, or others as well?

First off, I'd be willing to play. Never actually played 3.5 before, but I've played a couple games with 4.0, my girlfriend plays 1st Edition (why? I dunno. Nostalgia?), and I also run the occasional Fallout/Skyrim tabletop. Skype, mainly video chatting, would be a problem for me, as I have dial-up and video kills my computer a slow, painful death. I could use it for other purposes, though.

* I think originality is key, here, so the Mane Six should play a minor role if they show up at all.

* Stick with ponies. What about elfish-ponies, dwarfish-ponies, etc in addition to the 'normal' three pony races.

* ^ I think that answers this question as well.

I'll be monitoring this thread.

First off, I'd be willing to play. Never actually played 3.5 before, but I've played a couple games with 4.0, my girlfriend plays 1st Edition (why? I dunno. Nostalgia?), and I also run the occasional Fallout/Skyrim tabletop. Skype, mainly video chatting, would be a problem for me, as I have dial-up and video kills my computer a slow, painful death. I could use it for other purposes, though.

* I think originality is key, here, so the Mane Six should play a minor role if they show up at all.

* Stick with ponies. What about elfish-ponies, dwarfish-ponies, etc in addition to the 'normal' three pony races.

* ^ I think that answers this question as well.

I'll be monitoring this thread.

I'm not sure what to do about Skype, but if I run two seperate games, which it looks like I probably will, there's a good chance that at least one of them won't be over skype. In terms of races, that's probably a good idea, I'm probably just going to handle it on a case by case basis as long as its balanced between players.

• Brohoof 1

I'm glad to have you on board. We'll probably be playing over skype, so if you don't have a skype account I suggest you get one. As for the vehicle, not immediately anyway; we'll see where it goes I guess.

And with your choosing anthro, we officially have a stalemate, meaning the only possible solution is a bloody civil war!... or I can just manage two campaigns, I really have nothing better to do anyway

I have a Skype (Vastile) and I was kind of joking about the vehicle. It is a really large, unique airship, I came up with for a novel a long time ago, that I sort of attached to my OC recently, "The High Spirits". I'm willing to help come up with a premise, if it is needed. I'm currently DM-ing a group, as well. 

I have a Skype (Vastile) and I was kind of joking about the vehicle. It is a really large, unique airship, I came up with for a novel a long time ago, that I sort of attached to my OC recently, "The High Spirits". I'm willing to help come up with a premise, if it is needed. I'm currently DM-ing a group, as well. 

I'll add you on Skype, then. I'm going to try and arrange a preliminary meeting on skype as soon as everyone's available, to clarify any issues in terms of rules and the way we're going to run this. I'll keep you posted.

I'll add you on Skype, then. I'm going to try and arrange a preliminary meeting on skype as soon as everyone's available, to clarify any issues in terms of rules and the way we're going to run this. I'll keep you posted.

I'll be vacationing, basically from now to New Years, but I'll be on when I can. I'll see what I can do, I might have to type out my actions for the first game, but after that I might be fine. 

There's enough support for a humanized game that I'm going to run one of both (ponies and humanized). We will be meeting on skype, if not for the actual game, at least for a preliminary meeting to discuss rules and whatnot. Tell me if you're interested, my skype name is alex.kennedy118

I'll be vacationing, basically from now to New Years, but I'll be on when I can. I'll see what I can do, I might have to type out my actions for the first game, but after that I might be fine. 

I should probably mention that my skype name is alex.kennedy118. I've already sent you a contact request.

Yep, I can get on skype. Just let me download it. Mind you, I live in Australia, so if anyone lives in America, once you start posting anything after 11am EST, I won't be able to read it any time soon. Sorry for any inconvenience. 

<p><br />
<br />
IMPORTANT: Okay, a few things;<br />
<br />
First of all, I'm splitting this into two groups for people who want to play a humanized game. This means that there will be two simultaneous, virtually identical campaigns running with dfferent meeting times. There will not be any interaction between the two groups as they are parallel universes (although if someone finds a cubic gate, anything is possible). Anyone who has an issue with this can discuss it in the preliminary meetings, detailed below.<br />
Second of all, all of you who don't have skype should download it as soon as possible. I intend to do the game over skype and I will be doing preliminary meetings over skype in the meantime to discuss rules, meeting time, and anything else that needs clarification. That doesn't mean you can't still contact me through the forum, however it will be easier to communicate over skype, and any group discussions will be over skype. For those of you who can't use skype, I will continue communicating with you through the forums. Since there are going to be two groups, I can run one group without using skype, although it will be far less efficient.<br />
Thirdly, this campaign now spans three continents. This is significant for two reasons; partly because I just find it awesome that I'm playing D&D with people halfway around the world, but mostly because a meeting time will most likely be difficult to arrange. I am currently trying to figure out a way to deal with this and if anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears.<br />
Finally, I am going to set up a signup sheet at the end of this post. Pay no mind to the number of slots, there is no real limit to how many people can join, I just had to stop making empty slots eventually. Once you have your character ready, post it here or send me a message so that I can check it over and approve it, then once I make sure everything's in order, I'll add you to your chosen group on the signup sheet. On a side note, please have your character ready within the next day or so, lest people start to get impatient. If you need help creating a character, or want advice on what kind of character to make, just ask me and I'll be glad to help. On another side note,please don't make an evil aligned character as that tends to mess things up. If a class you're interested in has an evil alignment requirement, talk to me and I will consider ignoring or changing that requirement. I should also mention that I don't factor in cross-class penalties for experience.<br />
I apologize for the length of this post. If this seems like it's getting more involved/complicated than you can handle, you are free to walk away.Sign up sheet time:<br />
<br />
Humanized:</p>
<ul>

• Bronium (Fasco Underbough, rogue)
  • Vastile (name not announced, ranger)
  • Silverwisp the bard (holly, wizard)

</ul>
<p><br />
Non-humanized (ponies):</p>
<ul>

• Kolth (name not announced, rogue)
  • Zhinzo (katami, bard)
  • Lensflare (Farron, ranger)
  • Silverheart (name not announced, Soulknife)
  • Puddlejumper (name not announced, Paladin)

li</ul>

<p><br />
Also, I do have a story, but I don't want to give anything away yet</p>

Edited by Alex-Kennedy
  • Brohoof 3

Alright, my skype name is alex.kennedy118; add me as a contact or give me your skype name so I can add yours. The time issue is something that we'll have to consider when I set the meeting time. There are going to be two seperate groups for humanized and ponies, and the humanized group spans three continents counting you, so it may be difficult.

I'm only quoting you all to ensure you see this post as soon as possible (this is more efficient than sending you all messages).

IMPORTANT: Okay, a few things; 

First of all, I'm splitting this into two groups for people who want to play a humanized game. This means that there will be two simultaneous, virtually identical campaigns running with dfferent meeting times. There will not be any interaction between the two groups as they are parallel universes (although if someone finds a cubic gate, anything is possible). Anyone who has an issue with this can discuss it in the preliminary meetings, detailed below.

Second of all, all of you who don't have skype should download it as soon as possible. I intend to do the game over skype and I will be doing preliminary meetings over skype in the meantime to discuss rules, meeting time, and anything else that needs clarification. That doesn't mean you can't still contact me through the forum, however it will be easier to communicate over skype, and any group discussions will be over skype. For those of you who can't use skype, I will continue communicating with you through the forums. Since there are going to be two groups, I can run one group without using skype, although it will be far less efficient.

Thirdly, this campaign now spans three continents. This is significant for two reasons; partly because I just find it awesome that I'm playing D&D with people halfway around the world, but mostly because a meeting time will most likely be difficult to arrange. I am currently trying to figure out a way to deal with this and if anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears.

Finally, I am going to set up a signup sheet at the end of this post. Pay no mind to the number of slots, there is no real limit to how many people can join, I just had to stop making empty slots eventually. Once you have your character ready, post it here or send me a message so that I can check it over and approve it, then once I make sure everything's in order, I'll add you to your chosen group on the signup sheet. On a side note, please have your character ready within the next day or so, lest people start to get impatient. If you need help creating a character, or want advice on what kind of character to make, just ask me and I'll be glad to help. On another side note, please don't make an evil aligned character as that tends to mess things up. If a class you're interested in has an evil alignment requirement, talk to me and I will consider ignoring or changing that requirement. I should also mention that I don't factor in cross-class penalties for experience.

I apologize for the length of this post. If this seems like it's getting more involved/complicated than you can handle, you are free to walk away.Sign up sheet time:

Humanized:

• Vastile
  •  
  •  
  •  

Non-humanized (ponies):

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Are you fine with a general bio and back story or are you needing the character on a D&D sheet? If the first, I'm done, if the second, I'm not sure how to do that for a humanized pony. 

Currently rummaging through my old 3.5 stuff

-is half elf okay for a "unicorn"

-planning a wizard (keeping it old-school B) )

-Is Neutral good acceptable? (meaning she only sees the laws of Luna and Celestia as binding, while other "lesser" laws might be bend to spread Peace and Harmony)

• Brohoof 1

In a day? That might be a problem, since I haven't been able to read up on any of the rules or characters. I'll give it a shot though.

My skype name is bronium2. I guess there's an evil twin out there. Since there's 2 groups, will you be a DM to all said groups, or will it just be one?

In a day? That might be a problem, since I haven't been able to read up on any of the rules or characters. I'll give it a shot though.

My skype name is bronium2. I guess there's an evil twin out there. Since there's 2 groups, will you be a DM to all said groups, or will it just be one?

I can DM both groups. Don't worry if you need a little longer to get ready. I'll make sure it's easy for newcomers to adjust, as well.

Currently rummaging through my old 3.5 stuff

-is half elf okay for a "unicorn"

-planning a wizard (keeping it old-school B) )

-Is Neutral good acceptable? (meaning she only sees the laws of Luna and Celestia as binding, while other "lesser" laws might be bend to spread Peace and Harmony)

yes, yes and yes

Correction: you only asked two questions, yet I gave you three yeses. I am forever shamed.

I'm also going to need to add you as a contact on skype.

Edited by Alex-Kennedy

Hey, anyone in the pony campaign (non-humanized) can add me on Skype: Kolth 

(Woah, bet you didn't see THAT name coming.)

Also, I might have a bit of trouble coming up with a fleshed-out character sheet in a day, but I'll try my best.

Hey, anyone in the pony campaign (non-humanized) can add me on Skype: Kolth 

(Woah, bet you didn't see THAT name coming.)

Also, I might have a bit of trouble coming up with a fleshed-out character sheet in a day, but I'll try my best.

Don't worry about having everything done. Just make sure you have the basics. I'll send you a contact request on Skype.

Don't worry about having everything done. Just make sure you have the basics. I'll send you a contact request on Skype.

I can't decide what kind of class to play...usually I go as less of a fighter and more of a diplomat. Would rogue be of any use in this campaign?

I can't decide what kind of class to play...usually I go as less of a fighter and more of a diplomat. Would rogue be of any use in this campaign?

I think Bronium is going to be a rogue, the other two are a wizard and a ranger so I guess you should probably be a divine caster. Talk to the others I guess.