Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

planning Pony D&D, anyone?

Alex Kennedy

I was wondering how much interest there was in running a pony-based D&D campaign. I don't have a story in mind yet but it won't take me long to come up with one. Anyone interested who hasn't played D&D before is still perfectly welcome, and I'll do my best to show you the ropes. We would mainly be playing during a set time either weekly or bi-weekly, but I'd keep it running on the backburner the rest of the time if anybody wanted to do something minor. I'm willing to be pretty lenient with the rules, and I'm open to negotiation for pretty much anything.I'll post more rules and explanation if and when people show interest.

Oh! I should probably mention that this would be 3.5 D&D.

Anyway, I'll probably update this obsessively over the next few days, so stay tuned if you think you might be interested.

In order to form a story, I need to know what exactly you guys want out of this. To that end here is a series of questions which will help me flesh things out:

• Do you want interacting with the mane six and other characters from the show to be a big part of the campaign?
  • Do you want to play in a humanized (or elfisized, gnomified, halflingificated) version of equestria, or stick with ponies?
  • What races do you want to use? Just the three pony tribes, or others as well?

More questions to come.

Edited by Alex-Kennedy
  • Brohoof 3

Hey I'd be willing to play some good ol' DnD. Especially if there are ponies involved! Tell me, regular class selection or more Equestria themed ones?

I could go either way, but I was planning on using normal classes. Doesn't have to be core though.

I've never played but always wanted to, and was doing a bunch of reading about it there for awhile (what little I could find online without having to buy the pricey books). So yes, I would be interested so long as my graveyard shift work schedule would actually allow me to participate. Figuring out how things work shouldn't be hard once laid out since I pick up on things like this quick.

Can't wait to see more info posted up, I'll keep my eye on this for now.

• Brohoof 2

I've never played but always wanted to, and was doing a bunch of reading about it there for awhile (what little I could find online without having to buy the pricey books). So yes, I would be interested so long as my graveyard shift work schedule would actually allow me to participate. Figuring out how things work shouldn't be hard once laid out since I pick up on things like this quick.

Can't wait to see more info posted up, I'll keep my eye on this for now.

I'd love to introduce a new player to D&D. Don't worry about scheduling issues because I have no life and can keep things going pretty much constantly. Oh, and if you're willing to download illegally, you can get the books online for free. If you're like me and that doesn't sit right with you, try this website, it contains everything publically available from 3.5: http://www.d20srd.org/index.htm. Whatever you do, don't use the dandwiki because it's all fan-made stuff and 90% of it is either hugely flawed or only meant as a joke (including stuff that shares a name with content from the books).

• Brohoof 1

I know about DnD quite a bit, me and friend of mine talked about it a lot, but he never really tried to set up any games.

Have you any idea how a Pony DnD would work or do you want help planning that? I'd probably have more fun helping you make the game rather than play it. ;)

Edited by The Pirate Prince
  • Brohoof 1

I know about DnD quite a bit, me and friend of mine talked about it a lot, but he never really tried to set up any games.

Have you any idea how a Pony DnD would work or do you want help planning that? I'd probably have more fun helping you make the game rather than play it. ;)

I can probably do it myself, but I won't reject help if you're offering. Feel free to share your ideas here.

Well, had you planned just playing as ponies

Earth pony, unicorn, pegasus.

Or being able to play as other introduced races, zebras, minotaurs, griffons, the horses from Saddle Arabia.

or maybe some that haven't been introduced in the show, centaurs for instance.

• Brohoof 1

Well, had you planned just playing as ponies

Earth pony, unicorn, pegasus.

Or being able to play as other introduced races, zebras, minotaurs, griffons, the horses from Saddle Arabia.

or maybe some that haven't been introduced in the show, centaurs for instance.

I figure I'll deal with that if someone wants to play as those races, but I'd have to make sure they fit the story.

This sounds really interesting Haven't played D&D in a llooooonnnngggggggg time but I would be more willing to shake the dust off for a pony D&D. I will keep watching this thread to check the updates. Great idea!

• Brohoof 1

I'd love to join something like this, but I have one question. Is D&D 3.5 similar to Pathfinder? because that's the only D&D I've played so far.

Question, would these sessions be through Skype?

Also, a while ago I had set up a similar topic to this one, It may have some interesting stuff that you could draw inspiration from. Would you like me to copy and paste some of that stuff to this topic?

• Brohoof 1

I'd love to join something like this, but I have one question. Is D&D 3.5 similar to Pathfinder? because that's the only D&D I've played so far.

Also, a while ago I had set up a similar topic to this one, It may have some interesting stuff that you could draw inspiration from. Would you like me to copy and paste some of that stuff to this topic?

I've never played pathfinder but I think it's pretty close. You can check this website for details on 3.5: http://www.d20srd.org/index.htm. I don't have Skype but I might get it for this purpose. Depends on everyone else, I guess.

Here's a question, is the world going to be Equestria, or a original world that just happens to have ponies?

Depends on what other people want to do, but I was thinking Equestria. 

This sounds really interesting Haven't played D&D in a llooooonnnngggggggg time but I would be more willing to shake the dust off for a pony D&D. I will keep watching this thread to check the updates. Great idea!

Well, I'll be glad to have you. The more the merrier.

The reason I asked is because with Skype I have like at least 16 hours per day availability (24 in the weekends). So then schedule won't be much of an issue for me anymore.

Here's the stuff I was talking about:

Ponyfinder+Earth+Pony+text+fix+%252824%2

Ponyfinder+Pegasus+%252826%2529.jpg

Ponyfinder+Unicorn+%252827%2529+text+fix

As far as dice rolls go, I have found two possibilities. I have an application on Skype which could work for generating random dice rolls, or more ideally, I have found this website.

tumblr_lhgsvi4se11qc1at6o1_500.jpg

While there are (as yet) no rules for Cutie Marks in Ponyfinder, a hasty houserule could be cobbled together thusly: When using skills or powers in line with their Cutie Marks, Ponyfinder PCs may always take 10, even in combat or when stressed. If they choose to roll, any 20 is considered a Critical Success with spectacular, magical results (such as a sonic rainboom).

(More can be found here.)

Edited by Zhinzo
  • Brohoof 1

In order for me to form a story and get this off the ground I'm going to need to know how exactly you guys want to do this. Mainly in terms of the questions I asked in the OP, which I will post again here because why not.

• Do you want interacting with the mane six and other characters from the show to be a big part of the campaign?
  • Do you want to play in a humanized (or elfisized, gnomified, halflingificated) version of equestria, or stick with ponies?

Expect more questions to come.

Hey, I've never actually played any D&D but I've been looking for somewhere to try it out. Ponies sounds like an awesome way to start out! If you don't mind having someone brand new along for the ride, I would be very much interested to do this!

• Brohoof 1

Hey, I've never actually played any D&D but I've been looking for somewhere to try it out. Ponies sounds like an awesome way to start out! If you don't mind having someone brand new along for the ride, I would be very much interested to do this!

I don't mind at all.  Tell me if you have any questions or need help with anything. You can find most of the information you need here:

http://www.d20srd.org/index.htm

It seems really complicated at first, but it's not so bad once you get the hang of it.

• Brohoof 1

• I think they should be present, but not overly used
  • Stick with ponies
  • Any intelligent race present within the show (earth ponies, pegasus, unicorn, minotaur, zebra, griffin, etc) I would not allow such things as draconequus since it has not been touched on if Discord is the only one or not, and if not are all of them chaotic...
  • I would also like to see it take place within Equestria
  • Brohoof 2

• Stick with ponies
  • Any intelligent race present within the show (earth ponies, pegasus, unicorn, minotaur, zebra, griffin, etc) I would not allow such things as draconequus since it has not been touched on if Discord is the only one or not, and if not are all of them chaotic...

Thank you for answering my questions. So far you're the only one who has. I will take your anwers into consideration.

Also, I'm still working on the story but feel free to create a character whenever you're ready. I can provide you with modifiers for whatever race you choose. Ask me if you have any questions; it's not like I have anything better to do.

Here's a question, is the world going to be Equestria, or a original world that just happens to have ponies?

It will be set in Equestria, and in line with series canon as much as possible. If you still want to help, I could use help figuring out what the racial modifiers should be for ponies and whatever other races people choose to play as.

Hey I'd be willing to play some good ol' DnD. Especially if there are ponies involved! Tell me, regular class selection or more Equestria themed ones?

Looks like I have some reading to do then haha. Thanks for the link!  I'll keep checking this thread, but keep me posted on any developments  :)

You can all make your characters whenever you're ready.  Three things worth noting:

1. Psionics (psychics) are not only allowed but encouraged, if only for the sake of variety. New players may want to avoid them however, as they add another layer of complexity (although the same could be said of any spellcaster). Thats not to say you shouldn't play them if you're interested but be aware that it may take more time and effort to manage them.
  2. You are by no means limited to Core classes, feats, etc. Although the d20 srd I've recommended to some of you only has core and psionic content, if you have access to the other books feel free to use them.
  3. Don't worry about racial modifiers for now. If you want to pick a race, go ahead, but I won't be able to give you their traits and ability modifiers immediately. Cutie marks are mostly going to be for fluff purposes for now, at least until I decide what to do with them, but you may want to add them anyway as they can give you an idea of how you want to build your character.

That should be everything you need to know. Ask me if you have any questions. Post your characters here when they're done.

If you want to make a character, all of the above applies to you as well.

I have the first adventure and the beginning of the story figured out. I can start whenever you guys are ready (no rush though). One more question though: Do you have any particular place you'd like to start in? It won't really effect the overall story or anything but I can work it in if anybody has a specific place in mind.

Edited by Alex-Kennedy

• Stick with ponies
  • Any intelligent race present within the show (earth ponies, pegasus, unicorn, minotaur, zebra, griffin, etc) I would not allow 

I second these, and I would also like to see some of the rarer D&D native creatures.

Do you have a template for character sheets for us?

Edited by Zhinzo

Well, I see it's 3.5. I play 4e but I would still love to play.

To answer your questions:

• I'd say go with Royalty and those you would expect any common pony to meet. Celestia, Luna and such. But I'd say put them later in the game though.
  • I'd like to play humanized, since it's easier to visualize things but I have no real preference, to be quite honest.
  • Definitely more races. I'd say let us choose the races from the book and then just try to make them somewhat ponified.

But it seems it's already decided. 

Just a few questions:

• When do we discuss rules? My team pretty much discusses rules afterwards and we give penalties or bonuses when we see something's wrong.
  • Also, general table rules?
Edited by Bronium

I second these, and I would also like to see some of the rarer D&D native creatures.

Do you have a template for character sheets for us?

You can download character sheets here: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/charactersheets

A lot of this stuff you probably don't have to worry about though.

Well, I see it's 3.5. I play 4e but I would still love to play.

To answer your questions:

• I'd say go with Royalty and those you would expect any common pony to meet. Celestia, Luna and such. But I'd say put them later in the game though.
  • I'd like to play humanized, since it's easier to visualize things but I have no real preference, to be quite honest.
  • Definitely more races. I'd say let us choose the races from the book and then just try to make them somewhat ponified.

But it seems it's already decided. 

Just a few questions:

• When do we discuss rules? My team pretty much discusses rules afterwards and we give penalties or bonuses when we see something's wrong.
  • Also, general table rules?

If you need to read up on 3.5 rules, this website should have everything you need: http://www.d20srd.org/index.htm. As far as discussing rules, I'll post any special rules if and when I think of them, and for any specific questions you have, just ask me.

Edited by Alex-Kennedy

Please don't take any of this personal, I really enjoy rp'ing with you:

To be honest, I don't think Equestria is a good setting for D&D, mostly because violence does not fit the setting and all threads worthy of a campaign would be tackled by the Sisters/the Mane Six.

Maybe setting it in pre-classical Equestria could work, but still D&D is a fighting game so we are really limited to fighting other intelligent creatures (griffons, ponies, zebras) whom to fight seems wrong, or baddies that would curvestomp any party with ease (hydra, dragon, changeling queens).

Either way, the thought of ponies killing just leaves a bad taste...

I think an AU setting with a humanized version of Equestria might work better (and save us the trouble of homebrewing rules for races without hands and wings). Just have "Equestria" pop out somewhere in Forgotten Realms and we're good

PS: How are you planning on running this: which edition?, what program?, Skype?

PPS: However you decide, if you need any badly drawn art done, don't hesitate to ask.

Edited by Silverwisp the Bard
  • Brohoof 1