request shop I need drawing practice, taking suggestions of all kinds

Fluttermena

I'm trying to get into this whole drawing thing, I messed around with Inkscape but I find I tend to procrastinate whenever I draw my own ideas. To try and break this habit I invite anyone to suggest anything and everything you'd like to see, and I'll see if I can whip out some vector art for you.

Be aware: I can't promise that my art will be good, or that it'll be done quickly. I would also prefer more simple projects for a start, so no overly complicated or detailed stuff.

From one vector artist to another! If you need practice, I did my first Vector as an Angry Bird (overrated yes) So that could be a suggestion for a simple but good practice for vector work.  ;)

post-7058-0-17990500-1357792209_thumb.png

Edited by Rainbow Dashey

Show some examples of what you've done or it makes it really difficult to give advice on how to improve. I've got this thread followed and I'll make sure to respond whenever you next do!

I have blindly bet on the talent of this fandom before and never lost my bits. I think filly luck is on me again with you and I want if possible for you to bring out  this OC if you need extra references I can provide. Hope she makes the cut =D.

I learned vector drawing in Illustrator CS5... taught myself mostly.  It took lots of yelling and frustration and deleted files, but I eventually figured it out.  Start with simple stuff like a waving flag, or a bare tree in winter, or the classic tattoo style sparrow, or the angry bird above.  Once you figure out how to get the lines to do what you want, it just gets easier and easier.  

From one vector artist to another! If you need practice, I did my first Vector as an Angry Bird (overrated yes) So that could be a suggestion for a simple but good practice for vector work.  ;)

I don't know if I sould call myself a vector artist just yet, I'm still pretty new...

Damn, thats your first vector? It's awesome!

Show some examples of what you've done or it makes it really difficult to give advice on how to improve. I've got this thread followed and I'll make sure to respond whenever you next do!

Sure, I don't have much but here it is:

My very first drawing, feel free to criticise, but I already got a lot of feedback on this one and I know it's crappy even compared to what I'm doing now.

post-7348-0-97142600-1357793940_thumb.png

Here's a sad Chrysalis with derp eyes...

post-7348-0-90558700-1357793991_thumb.png

And a changeling OC I haven't finished yet, it's not very presentable.

post-7348-0-12728400-1357794341_thumb.png

I learned vector drawing in Illustrator CS5... taught myself mostly.  It took lots of yelling and frustration and deleted files, but I eventually figured it out.  

[...]

Wow, those are really good for a beginner!  I thought you meant you were just learning!  You've got some pretty good skills going there.  Ignore my previous suggestions! 

I took a graphics design class in high school and we used Illustrator, I learned pretty fast on my own and I was messing around with the pen tool while the teacher was still telling us to get used to the basics.

I do have a good eye for asthetics, but it takes a lot of tweaking and mistakes before I get a satisfying result, that's what worries me.

Want to know how to be a vector artist with the eventuality of being a master or professional?

Here is what you do:

1. Read or scim over the documentation for the program you are using (in this case Inkscape)
  2. Watch online tutorials on how to make different vector objects. It'll be mostly boring stuff but it's to get used to the tools. Most tutorials are for industry standard programs like Adobe Illustrator, but I am sure there are some inkscape based tutorials. Google "vector tutorials" or "inkscape tutorials"
    1. Feel free to stop here if you want to just do this as a general hobby
  3. If you want to really improve then get a cheap sketch book and a mechanical pencil and start drawing things
  4. Take art classes and learn how to draw in real life
  5. Once you progress your traditional skills, you're vector abilities will improve as well because you'll start to be able to vector your sketches which are in your own style rather than the shows style
  6. eventually you will develop enough nice pieces of art to construct a portfolio of professional grade vector art. At this point you have a chance at free lancing, getting hired and doing commissions. 

To get to step 6 it'll take years, but if you'll serious you'll get there in no time.

This is just a generalized over view of how you can improve. I could write paragraph detailing individual details. 

It all depends on how much effort you want to put into it.

I don't know if I sould call myself a vector artist just yet, I'm still pretty new...

Damn, thats your first vector? It's awesome!

My very first drawing, feel free to criticise, but I already got a lot of feedback on this one and I know it's crappy even compared to what I'm doing now.

Well judging by your potential, I'd say you are one, even if not by your standards, you will get there ^^

Also, thanks.  I really like the Chrysalis one and that Changling has great potential, I wanna see that one finished.

I took a graphics design class in high school and we used Illustrator, I learned pretty fast on my own and I was messing around with the pen tool while the teacher was still telling us to get used to the basics.

I do have a good eye for asthetics, but it takes a lot of tweaking and mistakes before I get a satisfying result, that's what worries me.

I think the proportions and aesthetics are the hardest for me.  I don't have that "artist's eye" so it takes me twice as long to get something good.  My high school didn't offer any kind of computer art class.  My college has a subscription to online video classes through VTC.com so I watched a few of those.   I need to try to vector a pony.  So far I've just done trees and roller coasters and carnival rides and billboard signs.... inanimate objects. :)  I've very impressed with your Chrysalis and changeling!!!

Edited by Sonata18

For a beginner, these are actually really good. I would recommend looking into the overall proportions of pony bodies though as the legs of your first vector seem to be off a bit. Your chrysalis vector seems great and I can't wait to see how your changeling vector turns out.

I made some tiny bit of progress on the changeling, it takes me forever to get anything done.

I'll add some shading when I've finished the rest of it.

post-7348-0-08034000-1357904699_thumb.png

I have ideas for a comic I'd like to make that would involve changeling OCs (among plenty of other things) so I'm trying to come up with some unique designs in order to tell them apart from one another.

And please, if anyone can suggest anything for me to draw, I'd be happy to give it a try.

I have blindly bet on the talent of this fandom before and never lost my bits. I think filly luck is on me again with you and I want if possible for you to bring out  this OC if you need extra references I can provide. Hope she makes the cut =D.

I'll see what I can do. I already have a rough idea of what she could look like, what kind of colors do you want for the coat, mane and eyes?

I'd love some vector art of my ponysona, maybe even ending up as my new avatar as the one I have now is made from the ponymaker, and I'd much prefer some art. You might call yourself a beginner but believe me, you are far from one! ;) Reference pic below.

post-10207-0-11505000-1357910870_thumb.png

I'll see what I can do. I already have a rough idea of what she could look like, what kind of colors do you want for the coat, mane and eyes?

Hey then thanks a lot for the consideration I hope you have some fun drawing her colors are like ones on the IMG below. Hope this helps if you need more reference or info to bring her out just ask =D

post-9346-0-97893200-1357913187_thumb.jpg

I'd love some vector art of my ponysona, maybe even ending up as my new avatar as the one I have now is made from the ponymaker, and I'd much prefer some art. You might call yourself a beginner but believe me, you are far from one! ;) Reference pic below.

Sure, I'll get started on it.

Hey then thanks a lot for the consideration I hope you have some fun drawing her colors are like ones on the IMG below. Hope this helps if you need more reference or info to bring her out just ask =D

Ok, so you want these colors, the mane and tail in this picture already look like what I had in mind, oddly enough. 

The character profile said pegasus, I suppose that's what I'm going with?

Sure, I'll get started on it.

Ok, so you want these colors, the mane and tail in this picture already look like what I had in mind, oddly enough. 

The character profile said pegasus, I suppose that's what I'm going with?

Yup thats right =D she is a pegasus i used this design because I loved the personality and “life” the char shows so I re colored it and set her as a starting point.