NavelColt

35 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was ok.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

I thought that, too! Perhaps the red ones are worth more? That's what I'm hoping. Rarity's been so ungenerous this season, that I'm hoping the tiny gem she gave to Spike was actually worth more than the others, and that she simply forgot that Spike likes gems to eat, and not to buy. :)

I think your right about that I never would have thought about it that way

Anyone who thinks this episode showed us Spike's greed or builds an argument based on that is missing a very important point. Namely that this episode is not about Spike's greed at all, but about his gluttony. These are two very different things.

Spike's motivation for the entire episode is getting something nice to eat, not having beautiful valuable gems. So it doesn't contradict any of his characterization or development from "Secret of My Excess," at least. That episode showed us that when he becomes greedy for material possessions, he grows out of control. Only one of those items, the sapphire cupcake, was anything to do with food. Even that didn't trigger PsychoSpike, it was Cheerilee's gift of a hat that ended up tipping the balance. Also, in that episode, Spike thought of his Fire Ruby as a delicious snack, not a beautiful item of lasting value, which is what Rarity thought it was.

This should really be considered when looking at Spike's characterization in this episode. As for Dragon Quest, I'm still thinking about that, and may have more to add once I have sat down, tapped the side of my head and said "Think, think, think" to myself.

Edited by Full Spectrum
  • Brohoof 4

Regarding greed vs. gluttony, keep in mind why dragons experience near uncontrollable compulsion to hoard, it's because once they go off on their own they need to establish their own nests. Dragons are solitary creatures; since they haven't evolved to survive in groups they have little in the way of natural proclivities for and understanding of the value of give-take relationships. Apart from dragon migrations, which are exceedingly rare, dragons have to survive on their own. It would be truly bizarre if puberty for them included only establishing their nests and did not apply to food at all, if anything it's the latter that's more essential for survival. Besides, it's well established that one of the most prominent items that features in a dragon's nest are jewels, so they do hoard food.   

• Brohoof 2

Regarding greed vs. gluttony, keep in mind why dragons experience near uncontrollable compulsion to hoard, it's because once they go off on their own they need to establish their own nests. Dragons are solitary creatures; since they haven't evolved to survive in groups they have little in the way of natural proclivities for and understanding of the value of give-take relationships. Apart from dragon migrations, which are exceedingly rare, dragons have to survive on their own. It would be truly bizarre if puberty for them included only establishing their nests and did not apply to food at all, if anything it's the latter that's more essential for survival. Besides, it's well established that one of the most prominent items that features in a dragon's nest are jewels, so they do hoard food.   

This is mostly speculation on your part, and does not in any case affect the essential point I was trying to make. Anyone who points to Spike's greed in the latest episode should consider that gluttony is the more relevant attribute to focus on. 

This is mostly speculation on your part, and does not in any case affect the essential point I was trying to make. Anyone who points to Spike's greed in the latest episode should consider that gluttony is the more relevant attribute to focus on. 

Seems I don't have anything to disagree with you about and you're right that I'm speculating. Although, I do think these are natural conclusions to reach based on the available information and are justified in as far as that.

Note that I did take your advice and reevaluate my position with a focus on gluttony instead of greed. My conclusion was that my original argument that Spike is in-character this episode and demonstrates he's still going through the same struggle he did in Secrets of My Excess holds up just fine despite this shift in perspective.

• Brohoof 2

Seems I don't have anything to disagree with you about and you're right that I'm speculating. Although, I do think these are natural conclusions to reach based on the available information and are justified in as far as that.

Note that I did take your advice and reevaluate my position with a focus on gluttony instead of greed. My conclusion was that my original argument that Spike is in-character this episode and demonstrates he's still going through the same struggle he did in Secrets of My Excess holds up just fine despite this shift in perspective.

My apologies, I seem to have been a bit too quick to jump straight into arguing against what I misinterpreted as a disagreement on your part. As long as people recognize the greed vs. gluttony argument, as you clearly have, I am satisfied. :D

Edited by Full Spectrum
  • Brohoof 1

I generally hate Spike episodes with passion that I don't look forward to them at all, but I didn't expect this Spike episode to be this way! I actually found it funny (which is a first for me in a Spike episode) and it was pretty cool how they went to the Crystal Empire again. All in all, I think this is a great Spike show. Not the best episode but then it definitely is a great episode for me.

I enjoyed this episode and it suited Spike much more so then the last episode. I felt a little bad for the guy when he kept having to give all of his gems away( why would Granny Smith even need a gem?) Also a slight bit OT, but why has there been so few songs in this season? IIRC there have been only two and the songs are one of my favorite parts of the show. 

I think Spike gave a gem to Granny Smith so she would keep her mouth shut.  I don't really recall but, I think Spike just gave her a gem to keep her quiet and not tell Applejack what was really going on.

As I knew it was a Spike episode going in to it, I had no high hopes for it, especially since it was about the pets which I don't really care about. I then decided to see who wrote it just before watching and had mixed feelings on it. Could she actually make a Spike episode entertaining or is she unlucky that her second episode is a Spike one meaning she has no chance of a 2 for 2 in great episodes.

I then decided to throw all that out of my head when I started watching and chose to just try and enjoy it.

At this moment in time I'd gladly call this my favourite of all the Spike central episodes from any season. I still see it as a 'filler' episode as I do with all of Spike's episodes but it's not one I will skip over when re-watching the series as I do with his others.

Between Fluttershy, Rainbow and Sweetie, there was an awesome amount of cuteness to go around which was great.

Skimmed over some complaints about some unrealistic stuff (spike talking under the seats for example) but I easily just class that under the 'It's a cartoon' tag.

At the end of the day, it wasn't a bad episode. I had expected much worse. Spike as always drags his episodes down a bit though (imo).

Edited by Turpow

i enjoyed the episode too. Spike's lesson was well defined because bribery, lazyness and greed gets into more trouble than you wanted. the more i see Angel the more i think he is trouble himself. Twilights owl was going to eat him. i wonder who Twilight and Fluttershy would say if that happened. also this episode made me hungry too.

I really did like this episode. Spike At Your Service was just a 'meh' episode for me and kinda of forgetable. This episode improved alot and was better suited for Spike. There was many great moments of this episode that made me laugh (Tank and RD affection). Glad some of the pets got some more developement like Owlicious and Angel which is nice.

Overall the episode was good and a much better spike episode for this season than the previous. I really enjoyed it and a nice filler episode before the season wraps with its bigger episodes.

• Brohoof 2

I currently do not have the motivation for a full blown review, but this was a fantastic episode. I seen it on the live stream and then watched it again today. The humor was top notch and the cuteness levels at certain parts was beyond the level of hfjfhrhdiddh!. I was pleasantly surprised. Of course there was also the epic Zecora lines and that damn Derpy lookalike near the end. I hate you so!!!

Edited by Kyoshi
  • Brohoof 1

Andhe did learn from his mistake, and apologized to Angel for not properly taking care of him, or the rest of the pets.

That's... not the mistake I was talking about.

It's

here which he repeated at the en

Just for that "oops, did it again, WHY DOES THIS KEEP HAPPENING" joke? Really?

...after all that effort he put into trying to take care of the pets, rather than just letting them run amok and staying alone, making his cake.

FINALLY Spike gets another good episode!  I honestly didn't care for "Secret of my Excess" or "Spike at Your Service" very much, but this one was very fun to watch.  I was pleasantly surprised how most of the pets actually tried to cooperate with Spike in his battle against the fluffy menace known as Angel, as it made Spike seem like a much better leader than we've seen previously.

My favorite moment, though, had to be this:

hKiAjUj.png

If that isn't someone's avatar by the end of the week, I don't know what's wrong with this forum.

• Brohoof 1

This was a really cute episode.  Corey is shaping up to be one of the best writers on the show, despite being new.  Let's see what he did right. 

- Finally acknowledged PeeWee

- Brought back Tank

- Made a Spike episode that was actually interesting

- Gave Spike and the CMC screentime together

- Sweetie Belle.  Oh.  My.  God.  New favorite Crusader.

Ok well after a few previous episodes that haven't thrilled me so much, I quite liked this one. At first I was like, "OMG, not another Spike does chores episode", but this one surprised me. Of course, the best part for me was the Dashie-Tank love, and the part when he licked her (she even blushed for the first time!! At least I think), but of course Dashie is always cute.

Angel was a... Word I'd rather not publish, but I kinda felt sorry for him when Spike took him away at the train station amd he squealed for Fluttershy :'( d'awwww...

Overall I think it was a cute episode, but cute is as far as I'm going, without describing the pages and pages of awesomazingness of Dashie.....xD

Really not a fan of Spike's singing... Haha...

And a lot of you mention how the currency seemed to changed from bits to jewels; I don't think it has, it was just Spikes own payment since he's so obsessed with them and was eager to earn them all back. Still, you wouldn't think all the ponies just has gems to toss around.

Also, did anypony else notice when the Mane 6 got of the train at the end, Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy had NO WINGS?!? DUN DUN DUUUUUNNNN!!! :o I was horrified.

Edited by (\ScootaDash/)

Also, did anypony else notice when the Mane 6 got of the train at the end, Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy had NO WINGS?!? DUN DUN DUUUUUNNNN!!! :o I was horrified.

Well, Discord is free again, and he did say he wasn't always going to use his power only for good. Maybe he was having a little fun. :D

• Brohoof 3

Ah, now this was a great episode - a "cut above" the okay-I-guess Spike at your Service.  We got some interesting development for Spike, more fun with the Cutie Mark Crusaders, and Owlowiscious!

I'm a little sad that we didn't get to see any CMC antics in the Crystal Empire, but Spike's... "tendencies" with his gems more than made up for it.

The only thing that had me a little confused was the whole Granny Smith scene - seemed a bit to me like they were "reaching" a little far to get rid of an extra gem.  Given everything else in the episode, though, I can hardly fault 'em for that.

Plus--I can't be the only one who loved the whole element of, "This sort of thing is what happens with Spike when the Mane 6 are off on an adventure," right?

• Brohoof 1

Sweetie Belle said "I'm in crystal heaven!". That sounded like a reference to a spiritual belief system! Just like how her sister Rarity said "Oh my stars, if I'm dreaming, do not wake me up!". Rarity and Sweetie Belle are spiritual worshipers!