Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

N/A

Argos

Love and tolerance was chosen (in my opinion) because that's what the show represents (mainly). Besides, love and tolerance seems to fit the fandom and it's difficulty of being accepted into the society we have today.

• Brohoof 2

"Love and Tolerance  is (unfortunately) a hypocritical phrase the tell haters when  the say they don't like thew show. Yet bronies go a bitch and hate  when someone hates the show . (BTW we all know some of us are guilty of doing it so don't be all like "no we don't!!!!!!") Bronies are not innocent.

Who cares if people dislike the show, it just that; a fucking show not a personal insult.

(Sorry for the rant bit, I wanted to get that out)

• Brohoof 4

copy and pasted this for you 

Hello. You're seeing this copypasta because you (or someone else) carelessly tossed the words "love and tolerance" around.

"Love and Tolerance" was originally a satirical term that was spoonfed to 4chan's /co/ trolls, back when My Little Pony was starting out. When the site's administrator (moot) banned all fans of the show, another image board (named Ponychan) was created, where "love and tolerance" was incorrectly given a literal meaning.

In addition, when image macros (or "memes", to the layman) were common around the internet, a popular one (that was heavily used on /co/) was the character Twilight Sparkle saying "I will love and tolerate the SHIT out of you," again, in a satirical and sarcastic manner.

If you are reading this and you are the individual who said "Love and Tolerance", please learn the correct and proper usage of the term.

Edited by AutisticPonyfan
  • Brohoof 3

This thread appears to be related to the My Little Pony franchise and/or the Bronydom in general. Thus, it has been sentenced to Sugarcube Corner.

This is an automatically generated message, by the way.

It was formulated on 4chan, and though many people still see it as that, I try to live by that.  I mean I know it's just a hypocritical phrase, as some say, but honestly try to live by it.

• Brohoof 1

even though it started on 4chan as a joke its actually a pretty mature way of dealing with things.  I think It would mean don't stoop to the person who is annoying or picking on yous level. You can tolerate their behavior, which reminds me of a wise old philospher. and love them as in love your fellow man no matter how annoying or stupid they act.

• Brohoof 1

I think the phrase '' Love and Tolerance'' was used, to think that we love to see people just rant about us even though we are superior. But, we tolerate their amount of hatred from all of the haters.

img-1141410-1-haters-gonna-hate_large.jpg

• Brohoof 1

Regardless of the original intent it is a noble creed that if everyone in the world adhered to would make this planet a much nicer place. As it stands I try to love and tolerate those around me as much as I can and not hate those who are different. 

• Brohoof 1

It originated on /b/ and /co/ as a sarcastic response to people who got buttmad because ponies were on their board. And then people thought they meant it literally and started using it as a motto.

Edited by ~Vallo~

It came from some forum awhile ago, and it refers to the overall moral of the show.

But nowadays, this motto is scarcely followed and isn't even worth saying anymore.  :(

EDIT: It originated on /b/. Surprising, I know.

How is love and tolerance a moral of the show? There's nothing about love and tolerance in the show. Just wanted to point that out.

• Brohoof 1

How is love and tolerance a moral of the show? There's nothing about love and tolerance in the show. Just wanted to point that out.

It's not. It's never been mentioned in the show, it was used to troll people on 4chan when they got angry about people who watched the show.

Edited by ~Vallo~

Just because it started out of something hostile or not serious doesn't mean the phrase "love and tolerance" can be taken seriously by all bronies later on after the trolls have had their laughs.

Example: Obamacare.

"Obamacare" was a negative phrase to describe Obama's new health care plan.  It was started by Republicans as a slur to identify the plan as Obama's plan and had negative connotations.  Is the term "Obamacare" really bad though if you take out the Replubican BS? NO!  It's just a descriptive phrase.

Now, Obama supporters adopted the phrase and it's no longer a slur.  "Obamacare" is not used by Republicans and Democrats and no longer has negative connotations.

I believe that's how "love and tolerance" became part of the brony community.  There is nothing wrong with the phrase itself!  We all need to love and tolerate one another.  Just because it started out as a joke doesn't mean we can't change the negative connotations behind it and make it our own phrase.

you know you have a point, I have no clue why we use "love and tolerance" but if you ignore that and just go with it, does it not seem that if everyone loved and tolerated one and other then the world would be a nicer place? i'd say we use it because thats what we should aim for :)

• Brohoof 1

Actually, while we're on the subject, I just want to say that I hate the fact that this is an ideology for our fandom. A fandom should be about loving the show, and while our fandom certainly does, it does not need any further justification to be what it is, needless to say it does not need a motto. The fact that "Love and Tolerance" is supposedly our main theme of the fandom is not okay with me. It probably isn't anymore, at least hopefully, but it should never have been, and should never be.

Besides, I read somewhere that the show has a much deeper and much more concise message then just blindly accept and condone everyone. The article I read says it's much more about learning to get over someone's obstacles as a friend, instead of telling him it's an okay thing. I'm not saying that loving and tolerating is bad, but it's far from a perfect ideology, especially for our fandom.

Edited by Brook
  • Brohoof 3

Actually, while we're on the subject, I just want to say that I hate the fact that this is an ideology for our fandom. A fandom should be about loving the show, and while our fandom certainly does, it does not need any further justification to be what it is, needless to say it does not need a motto. The fact that "Love and Tolerance" is supposedly our main theme of the fandom is not okay with me. It probably isn't anymore, at least hopefully, but it should never have been, and should never be.

Besides, I read somewhere that the show has a much deeper and much more concise message then just blindly accept and condone everyone. The article I read says it's much more about learning to get over someone's obstacles as a friend, instead of telling him it's an okay thing. I'm not saying that loving and tolerating is bad, but it's far from a perfect ideology, especially for our fandom.

Where have you been?!

Finally someone with some sense!

The show was never about fricken love or tolerance.

It's friendship is magic.

Not Love and tolerance is magic.

And for those of you who think that the show is really about L&T.

NO.

That is a silly and impractical theme for a show.

Have we even been watching the same thing?

• Brohoof 2

There's nothing wrong with love & tolerance, it all comes down to WHAT you love & tolerate. If it's haters and trolls then no that's not the asnwer (ignoring them is). We're not here to take or have to tolerate their sh**. But yes we do need to love & tolerate our fellow bronies (unless they are are clearly not worth the effort and are trolling or causing massive drama themselves)

Loads of people outside of 4chan have used that pharse (such as Makkon the spiritual buddha of the musical community)

"Love and Tolerance

We all know what it means to be a brony. It’s time we all acted the part. I feel many of us have forgotten what it means to love and tolerate, or we’ve bent the meaning to only suit our interests. If this selfishness and disregard for other people continues, this community will not last. It will fall apart, and we will all be to blame. Remember to be kind, generous, loyal, honest, friendly, and respectful. We all watch a show about how to be a good friend. Start paying attention."

http://mylittleremix.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1144&hilit=tolerance

I'll elaborate a little more and offer a different mantra (the rave mantra)

P is for Peace, because Hostility serves no purpose
L is for Love, goodwill towards others
U is for unity, We are united together.
R is for Respect, you should care about each other

Again how can we watch a show about friendship and utopian community if we don't believe in aiming for these things in real life?

It's a good saying all and all, but a lot of haters/anti-bronies:whateverthefucktheycallthemselves like to see it as an excuse to throw constant personal attacks at us and the fandom.

And it originated on 4chan along with bronydom in general.

While i don't disgaree that they may see that as one of many excuses to attack us but that isn't any reason to not have some values or to ignore that hate. A lot has changed since 4chan. This is our own community now and not something where we have to co-exist on their terms.

I don't know much about where/how the phrase "love and tolerance" originated, other than that it came from 4chan. But, in my opinion, it doesn't matter where it came from.

From watching the show, I know that it's about love and tolerance. I'm pretty sure someone else said in the replies about blind love and tolerance, and actually what they are referring to would undermine what love and tolerance truly is. Firstly, there is a difference between toleration and agreement. For example, I tolerate the practice of sadomasochism, because if responsible adults want to do it in a consensual, safe manner with each other, then it's not my place to judge them. However, I don't like or agree with the practice of sadomasochism. 

Also, "love" is a general term, and doesn't mean that loving others requires not standing up for yourself, or not telling people when they're doing something harmful, etc. It means that you accept people for who they are, that you try not to judge people. That you try to understand others and put yourself in their shoes instead of instantly judging them. That you give people the benefit of the doubt and that you put other's wants and needs (depending what they are) before your own. However, this doesn't mean don't stand up for yourself, this doesn't mean let people take advantage of you. Just as Fluttershy learned in Putting Your Hoof Down, all it takes to stand up for yourself in verbal situations is a simple "no." Or, even simply ignoring the person. A lot of conflict can be avoided by simply saying no or walking away instead of getting into an argument, which can lead to a physical fight. In a physical fight, we all have the right to defend ourselves from harm. Unity is also a very core aspect of love. All of this is a part of love. Love for others, love for the world, love for ourselves. 

In practically every episode there is a positive inspirational message about how to live in the world with love in your heart. If we all lived by the lessons in MLP, the world would be a much brighter, happier, more peaceful place. If people decided to accept other people for who they were, to put aside differences, to tolerate people you don't like or disagree with, giving people a second chance, to stand up for yourself by simply saying "no" or walking away instead of starting a fight, to put other people before yourself, the world would truly be a better place. All of these messages and more are found in MLP, some of them are more obvious than others. I will provide examples of things from the show representing what I wrote about in this paragraph.

Accept other people for who they are, to put aside differences: The very fact of the mane 6's friendship. They all have different personalities, yet they all accept and like each other for who they are, as they are best friends. A specific example of this would be how Rarity and Applejack learned in Look Before You Sleep that they could be friends even though their personalities seemed to be polar opposites.

To tolerate people you don't like or disagree with, giving people a second chance: Princess Celestia and Fluttershy wanting to reform Discord in the episode Keep Calm and Flutter On despite all the harm he had done to Equestria in the past is an example of toleration, and of giving people a second chance. There are some situations where certain behavior cannot be tolerated, such as crime, and sometimes you could give someone any number of chances and they wouldn't change. However, this rule doesn't apply to everyone. There have probably been at least one, if not more situations in all of our lives where we could have tolerated someone, or we could have given someone a second chance, but we chose not to. Intolerance can be one of the biggest fuels of hatred, and hatred can lead to war. 

To stand up for yourself by simply saying "no" or walking away instead of starting a fight: Fluttershy learned this lesson in the episode Putting Your Hoof Down. There are two extremes: one, letting other people take advantage of you, and two, bullying and harassing others to ensure your own security. Both of these things are bad. Fluttershy learned how to find the balance between those two extremes: stand up for yourself without being hateful. How exactly this is done depends on the situation. You could just say "no," or just walk away, or otherwise say something that would fit the situation, without being hateful. If someone takes advantage of you, being hateful in response only leads to more conflict and hurt feelings. Standing up for yourself without being hateful greatly increases the chances of a peaceful resolution being brought to the situation, including you being separated from the negative situation without bullying or violence ensuing. 

To defend yourself or others from physical harm: Though Equestria is a peaceful world with love and light (as depicted throughout the entire show, and referenced directly by Princess Celestia in The Crystal Empire, Part 1), that does not mean that they do not defend themselves from harm. When Princess Luna allowed her negative emotions to turn herself into Nightmare Moon and threaten Equestria with eternal night, the mane 6 united and used the elements of harmony to free her from the prison she had built for herself. When Discord attempted to turn Ponyville into the chaos capital of the world, the mane 6 united and used the elements of harmony to turn him back into stone, to prevent him from harming others. When Queen Chrysalis and her army of changelings attempted to enslave the inhabitants of Equestria and feed on their love, Princess Cadence and Shining Armor united and, with their love, repelled the forces of darkness. When King Sombra attempted to enslave all of Equestria and utterly destroy all light, love, peace, and happiness, the crystal ponies, with the help of Princess Cadence, Prince Shining Armor, and the mane 6, united and, with their love and light, destroyed King Sombra for good, extinguished his black magic, and reflected love and light throughout all of Equestria. The common theme here is that the inhabitants of Equestria choose to use their power to defend themselves from harm, instead of using their power to harm others. Princess Celestia knows black magic, as we learned in The Crystal Empire, Part 1. She could choose to use it to destroy everyone. But, she chose love and light, which lead to a prosperous, joyful, and peaceful Equestria. If, in our world, we learn to use violence for defense, and defense alone, we could put ourselves on the path to becoming a world of love, light, and peace. 

Unity: Unity is a very common theme in the show, and is a very core aspect of love. If we all learned how to unite with one another instead of argue and fight one another, the world would become a much better place. We are all in this together. Any strife, conflict, and violence is the result of free will used for evil instead of for good. Our world is not doomed to be engulfed in perpetual darkness. What the world is like is each and every one of our choices made by everyone. We must live the change we wish to see. Unity is seen throughout the entire series as a general concept of peace and goodwill, a spirit to overcome conflict and differences toward a common betterment of themselves and the world. More direct examples of unity are The Cutie Mark Chronicles episode where the mane 6 learned they were all connected before they even met each other, whenever the mane 6 unite to use the elements of harmony, Princess Cadence and Shining Armor uniting in their love to drive away evil, and the entire population of the Crystal Empire choosing to unite, to grow the light and love within themselves, and, as one, drive away the forces of evil that threatened their lives. 

This is not an all-inclusive list of spiritual, moral messages in My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. True love and toleration (not sarcastic internet memes) should be of paramount virtue in each and everyone's heart, whether or not they are bronies. 

Edited by SCS