Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Queen Cassie

So!

We know from interviews with Tara Strong that Princess Twilight won't be abandoning her friends. We also can figure it's pretty likely that Twilight's wings are permanent; she's not going to revert to a normal unicorn unless the writers are criminally stupid. At the same time, she probably can't just move to Canterlot; that'd require moving all of her friends there too, lest the dynamic be upset. After all, we could move some of the Mane Six to Canterlot: Rarity could open up a new fashion shop catering to high class ponies; Rainbow Dash could officially join the Wonderbolts and be stationed in Canterlot; Pinkie could open up a new bakery/party planning business. But Fluttershy would be much harder to justify, while Applejack all but impossible.

And yet, Princess Twilight can't just live in the Golden Oaks Library in Ponyville and pretend her life is all normal. For good or for bad, she's a Princess now. She can't just resume her life from where she left off. That's not only absurd, but it would waste the grand opportunity they have here to introduce positive change to the show. DHX aren't about to do that.

So we're stuck. She can't move to Canterlot--or anywhere else for that matter, because the same things that keep her from going to Canterlot keep her from going to The Crystal Empire or Manehattan or Los Pegasus or wherever else on the map you'd like to throw a dart at. She can't stay where she used to live in Ponyville either. She has to stay with her friends, while at the same time living somewhere befitting of her station. So where the heck is she going to go?

Weeeeell... there is one place. It's a bit of a fixer upper though.

post-1234-0-50306100-1361449951_thumb.png

The Castle of the Royal Pony Sisters has been left empty, presumably for over a thousand years since the original defeat of Nightmare Moon. Its where the Elements of Harmony lay dormant until Twilight and the rest of the Mane Six awakened them. It's only natural that this be her new home.

But how would that come about?

Well there's a number of possible ways, but here's one: A new threat arises in the Everfree Forest, something deep and dark and mysterious, possibly responsible for what makes the place so wild to begin with. Princess Twilight and her friends are naturally roped into smacking it down, the first test of her royal duties. They deal with this threat in some way, probably involving a bit of magic, some use of the Elements, and some good old fashioned friendship. At the end, the Forest, while not wholly tamed, is at least partially rendered safe, from the castle through to Ponyville.

The castle itself could be rebuilt in a snap through the aid of Discord, who likely would be involved in helping deal with the threat to begin with, though given his abilities I'm going to assume the writers will hand-wave some excuse for why he can't just zap the threat gone. Alternatively, the Elements of Harmony could be used to restore the castle.

Whichever the case, the castle would be rebuilt by the end of S4E2, and from S4E3 on, Princess Twilight lives here, just outside of Ponyville. She'd have Zecora as a neighbor, and the castle could easily have some mysteries within that could be brought up for a story or two. Celestia and Luna could even come into play with some interpersonal drama of their own over Twilight living in the castle once left in ruins.

It'd give Twilight a home fit for her new station in life, while keeping her close to her friends. The series could move on, having most of the same elements, with some new stories and possibilities from the changes in Twilight, while preserving the friendships. Friendship would continue to be Magic. She'd just be living somewhere else.

Edited by Kyronea
  • Brohoof 8

I honestly think that Teilight is going to be princess of Ponyville. So, like you said, she could live in the castle in the Everfree Forset, I believe is where it's at; or they could build her a castle in Ponyville.

I honestly think that Teilight is going to be princess of Ponyville. So, like you said, she could live in the castle in the Everfree Forset, I believe is where it's at; or they could build her a castle in Ponyville.

Mayor Mare is the sole overlord of Ponyville, being princess means squat to an overlord! Don't worry Mayor Mare I got your back.  B)

• Brohoof 1

Maybe she's not going to stay in a castle at all. She might as well just revamp her treehouse a bit but I don't think it would be a good idea to rebuild the castle from EverFree forest. The only reason she usually goes to the forest is to see Zecora, and there aren't many threats on her way to her cabin.

• Brohoof 1

Maybe she's not going to stay in a castle at all. She might as well just revamp her treehouse a bit but I don't think it would be a good idea to rebuild the castle from EverFree forest. The only reason she usually goes to the forest is to see Zecora, and there aren't many threats on her way to her cabin.

Primarily the reason I suggest the Everfree Forest castle is that it's a castle we know exists, where she might be able to stay in that's still close to Ponyville. I don't feel like she can just revamp the library because it's a public facility. It's a place where ponies have to be able to go daily to sign out books and return books.

From what we can tell of Canterlot, though, ponies can't just walk into the royal palace itself without a reason. The same would be true of Princess Twilight's home. She is a Princess and so we need to give her something that fits her station.

I don't think she is going to live ina  giant fancy castle, or rule like the other princesses. I think she will stay with her friends and just be all chill and stuff.

Well see, the thing is, if she just sticks with her friends like it always was, that's a complete waste of the opportunity DHX has here. I, as a(n) (amateur) writer, would be rather upset at such an enormous waste of potential. So she's going to have to live in someplace that's better than just the library.

Thus the Everfree Forest castle presents a way for her to have it both ways: she can stay in a place that's more befitting of royalty and she can stay near her friends.

I suggest the Everfree Forest castle specifically because it's one we know about in canon. There's nothing that says that they can't make a new castle instead, or some kind of tower or other structure along those lines near or in Ponyville that she could live in, but the Everfree Forest castle already exists, so why not take advantage of all of the storytelling potential it would bring and use it?

It's all about the opportunities here. Writing opportunities.

It's possible that they will use the Everfree castle, although its decentralized nature would make it a bit weird to use as a common setting. Granted, Applejack's farm and Fluttershy's cottage aren't the most centrally located either, but this would take that a step further. I'd like to see it's history explored regardless of whether they use it or not.

Personally, if Twilight stays a princess given what Tara and others have said about it not changing the feel of the series, I'd predict that she stays in the library and the series focuses more on the responsibilities and consequences of being a princess rather than all of the perks one traditionally would associate with becoming royalty. I can picture Twilight wanting to be very easily approachable in a way that Celestia and Luna really aren't, and living in a more humble location would help that. Time will tell.

Edited by DashForever

I have to say I'd prefer Twilight to just go back to living in the library as normal, but this idea of living in the Everfree Foresr does seem interesting. It could work well, but as others have pointed out, it doesn't allow Princess Twilight to remain as approachable as she was as an ordinary unicorn.

Twilight will probably just live in the library because you know ..... thats her house. Also I dont think she will be the princess of anything straight away cadence wasn't in charge of the crystal empire untill after the events of the season 3 premier. So just because she is a princess doesn't mean she has to be in charge of anything but then again I could be wrong guess we will have to wait and see.

Of course she has to move! Otherwise, how will Hasbro sell the "Crepuscular Citadel" playset?

More seriously, she needs a bigger place to keep all her stuff. Princesses need bigger places because they have more stuff. Librarian Twilight just keeps track of other ponies' books. Princess Twilight is going to have her own books and needs a place to put them.

• 2 weeks later...

It's possible that they will use the Everfree castle, although its decentralized nature would make it a bit weird to use as a common setting. Granted, Applejack's farm and Fluttershy's cottage aren't the most centrally located either, but this would take that a step further. I'd like to see it's history explored regardless of whether they use it or not.

Personally, if Twilight stays a princess given what Tara and others have said about it not changing the feel of the series, I'd predict that she stays in the library and the series focuses more on the responsibilities and consequences of being a princess rather than all of the perks one traditionally would associate with becoming royalty. I can picture Twilight wanting to be very easily approachable in a way that Celestia and Luna really aren't, and living in a more humble location would help that. Time will tell.

I can understand the desire for Twilight to stay in the library. I'll be honest: I kinda somewhat want that myself, since I realize all too well what I'm proposing is a tad bit radical for this show. What's far more likely is that she'll end up in Canterlot.

Still, I like to imagine where the show could go if they allowed themselves unlimited bounds, and this is one possible way. It'd change the tone of the show a little, it's true, but not by as much as some people might think. It'd lead to new challenges and new mysteries to uncover, allow them to actually utilize Twilight's newfound status in an effective way.

I just feel as though letting her live in the library, as if nothing has changed, completely wastes the opportunities here. They had to make the change, so rather than ignoring it and trying to work around it in an attempt to continue to tell the exact same kind of stories, they should embrace it and use it. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: change creates opportunities.