Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

States that don't get four seasons.

CastletonSnob

Most of Southern California and the Central Valley doesn't get particularly cold during the winter, and hot as hell during the summer. Winter is wildfire season, spring is flooding season, summer is heat-wave season, and autumn is the only portion of paradise that you get throughout the year. 

• Brohoof 2

I would imagine Hawaii wouldn't experience summer or winter as we understand it, or would experience much milder seasons than normal.

Of course Florida is the ultimate state for having no seasons.  You have summer and mild summer.  

• Brohoof 3

Just now, Twilight Dirac said:

Of course Florida is the ultimate state for having no seasons.  You have summer and mild summer.  

No mild summer, just 365 days of heat. I was down there in February for a week last year and I think the lowest during that time was 89 degrees. It almost hit 100 one day.

• Brohoof 1

In California we have Hell, Summer 1, a barely noticeable Winter, and Summer 2

Edited by This Whomps

41 minutes ago, This Whomps said:

Not unless you live in the mountains. One time, I went Snowboarding on Big Bear Mountain January 2005.

Edited by Will Guide

When I was a kid, Oklahoma got four seasons, but now it's a mess. Bipolar winters (which have become very snow deprived post-2011), hot Springs, hot Summers, and hot Autumns. I feel as if climatically we have shifted Southeast. There was a shift around 2001 (beforehand I don't remember warm days regularly happening in winter) and then again in 2011 (late 2011, early 2011 was the last time we got a snowstorm), when snowstorms stopped happening and warm days in winter started becoming pretty much weekly.

The USA has every climate zone in their country. Polar climate in the north of Alaska, temperated climate in the most northern parts of the USA (like Illinois, Maine or Washington), subtropics in the southern parts like California (except the mountain ranges) or Louisiana and tropical climate in southern Florida and Hawaii. Four seasons are only typical for the temperated climates. The polar climate have two seasons, a short cool summer and a long cold winter. The subtropics also have two seasons with different temperatures (usually a hot summer and a mild winter with at the most only a few short onsets of winter) and only short interim periods but who are not really called autumn or spring. And the tropics have only one when you look on temperatures. But they usually have a dry and a wet periode with almost similar temperatures. 

And than, you also have to look in which region you live in the temperated climate zones. When you live on the western side of a country, you have a oceanic climate (like me in western germany). That means that both snow in winter and also hot dry summer periods in summer are more a rarity. The differents between the four seasons are not that big as in the more continental regions, but bigger than in the subtropics. States in the USA with a oceanic climate are washington or Oregon. 

13 hours ago, VG_Addict said:

When I say four distinct season, I mean what most people think of. Snow in winter, cool weather with lots of colorful leaves in the fall, etc.

When you look under such criterias, than these are almost the states in northern east (like the new england states or the states around the great lakes). 

Just now, IronM17 said:

temperated climate in the most northern parts of the USA (like Illinois

Technically, you're right, but if you spent one year in the state of Illinois (where I am from) you'd see just how many 'seasons' that we have. We, quite literally, sometimes have all 4 seasons in the span of one day.

18 minutes ago, Penguinbrony2409 said:

Technically, you're right, but if you spent one year in the state of Illinois (where I am from) you'd see just how many 'seasons' that we have. We, quite literally, sometimes have all 4 seasons in the span of one day.

I guess Illinois wasn't the best example, because I now read that the southern parts are more under subtropical influence than the northern parts. I guess it depends on in which region you live. And the weather on such transisiton zones can be sometimes really strange. And when I think on my region, the months in autumn or spring can also sometimes really crazy. I already experienced that I had a cold winterly morning with slightly frost who turns into a warm summer day. Not often, but it can happen.

Indiana gets four seasons but only one of them is mostly consistent, dreaded summer which is usually pretty warm and even worse, humid. Every other season kinda starts and ends randomly. Sometimes we get longer winters and shorter falls, or vice versa. Sometimes the cold of winter stays longer into the spring months and sometimes spring weather tries to kick in as early as late February. Nothing makes seeeeeeeense in the Hoosier land.

On 4/24/2019 at 8:05 PM, This Whomps said:

It depends. That’s the case for Southern California and the Central Valley, but temperatures are generally more moderate in the Bay Area, especially in cities like San Francisco which is constantly foggy and mild all year round (San Jose, where I’m from, is somewhat hotter and drier due to being sandwiched between the Santa Cruz Mountains and the Diablo Range). And if you live in the far north like Redding or Eureka the climate is much colder and it is possible to occasionally get a little bit of snow. 

9 hours ago, Kyoshi said:

Indiana gets four seasons but only one of them is mostly consistent, dreaded summer which is usually pretty warm and even worse, humid.

Yeah, where I live the one season that always happens without fail and is solid the whole way through (which is pretty much April through mid October-November) is Summer. I hate it. I hate it so much. Although over the last couple of years we've gotten an odd day where it actually stayed in the 70s, or dropped down into the 60s during the day. I don't remember that ever happening when I was younger. But it's very welcomed, considering hot weather has otherwise taken over so much of the year now.

• Brohoof 1

California may not get very distinct seasons, but they're at least noticeable. It can get chilly in the winter; not snowy but definitely winter jacket weather. And we do have our bouts of rain. 

On 4/24/2019 at 8:10 PM, Twilight Dirac said:

I would imagine Hawaii wouldn't experience summer or winter as we understand it, or would experience much milder seasons than normal.

Hawaii is pretty much a perfect 80-85 degrees F all the time. 

Florida is definitely a summer state. I've been there in February, May and August and it's either extremely intense heat, or just fairly intense heat. 

Nevada is warm quite a lot but does have a winter. Mostly light jacket weather, but it's a noticeable change when you get 100+ degrees in the summer. 

• Brohoof 1

It's always Sunny in California, when it isn't then it's slightly chilly than normal, still rarely snows.

I always forget about Nevada but it's probably always hot there too.

Edited by R.D.Dash

3 hours ago, R.D.Dash said:

I always forget about Nevada but it's probably always hot there too.

Not really, the northern parts (like reno) have a temperated steppe climate with hot summer and cold winter. And also the subtropic south (like Las Vegas) has cool winter and hot summer. I also have seen videos and pictures of snow in Las Vegas, even this is really rarely. I guess the only regions in the USA without a winter are the south of Florida (Miami region and the Keys) and Hawaii (except the Mauna Kea).

4 hours ago, R.D.Dash said:

It's always Sunny in California, when it isn't then it's slightly chilly than normal, still rarely snows.

What I know is that California (or at least most parts of the state) has the same climates like the mediterrean regions here in Europe. Hot and dry in summer and cool and wet in winter. But as usually, it depends on which region you live. For example, what I know is that the summer in San Francisco can be really chilly because of it location and the influence of the cool california current. 

On 4/24/2019 at 7:51 PM, Dusklicious said:

I would say Alaska is a pretty obvious answer here.

On 4/24/2019 at 8:53 PM, The Recherche said:

According to certain citizens of Alaska, their state has four seasons:

Winter

June

July

August

Needless to say, it tends to get rather cold in Alaska. :grin:

On 4/25/2019 at 5:27 AM, Nsxile said:

From what I can tell, Alaska just has winter, spring and autumn :P 

Former Alaskan here. It all depends on where in Alaska. Big state, as you're all aware. North slope? It's technically a desert up there. You get 3 inches of snow and that just sticks for 9 months. Then it reaches a sweltering 40 F in July and you get to experience 90 days of constant daylight. So arguably none of the seasons apply.

But on the southern coast you still get the four seasons. Granted, the winter is harsher and the other seasons are more mild, but they still happen. Plants bloom in spring and leaves fall in autumn. Anchorage, Palmer, Seward and Juneau are basically colder versions of Seattle and Vancouver. Only with less hipsters. 

Now Wisconsin? We get the four seasons but the order gets screwed up, especially during winter/spring. Yesterday it was 60 F. Today, it was snowing. This state cannot make up it's mind. 

• Brohoof 1

• 4 years later...