Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Which state has the worst driving reputation?

Mez

So far I've been told Massachusetts has the worst driving rep, but there are differing opinions throughout different states and countries, so let's hear what you think.

Here's a video on their streets:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-gxwkNuu9o

The streets in boston are not built for traffic, but for people. So this is why in that city, drivers are struggling to learn the streets design so they can drive more effectively on it. People blame the drivers, but it's really both the road and the drivers.

Edited by Mezcass

I know nothing of the states, though I do know that Saskatchewan has a high rate of drunken drivers. I also know that there are a lot of young drivers in Alberta that haven't the foggiest what they are doing. And don't even get me started on all the idiots in British Columbia. xP

So yeah, I guess I'll have to do some research on Massachusetts~

Honestly, out of all the Driver's Ed videos that I have seen. Pennsylvania pops up often because of terrible intersections in and around Philidelphia. I believe either Florida or Pennsylvania has the worst driving reputation in the U.S. currently. -_-

My state, Illinois, isn't far behind either.

• Brohoof 1

Oh everyone hates the massholes on the road, not using our blinkahs and all that. Driving around does show me some idiots on the road who don't know a no left sign means no left.

I personally think Rhode Island drivers can be terrible at parking.

(If you can't tell, I'm from good ol' Massachusetts and don't get me started on Boston drivers...)

Edited by Derplight Sperkle
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Oh everyone hates the massholes on the road, not using our blinkahs and all that. Driving around does show me some idiots on the road who don't know a no left sign means no left.

I personally think Rhode Island drivers can be terrible at parking.

(If you can't tell, I'm from good ol' Massachusetts and don't get me started on Boston drivers...)

Yeah, I heard boston drivers. But I will not fault them for it's not entirely their fault, it's a bit of both, the road design and the driver having to adapt.

Edited by Mezcass

Haven't read up on other states, but based on personal experience, from the states I've been too(California, Utah, Nevada and Arizona), California easily has some of the shittiest drivers out there, especially here in Southern California

Edited by ChicksDigGiantRobots

Indiana is surprisingly not too bad in this category. Haven't too many bad experiences in Evansville, one of the larger cities in the state. I wouldn't be surprised if it is worse north in the state though.  I have heard that traffic is overall a dreadful thing in New York and California, could be because of high traffic numbers in certain places though.

Well, living in California, I'd have to say that the drivers are really bad, if not the worst. If you're not an aggressive driver then avoid driving here in California because these drivers are... well... butts. (You know what I mean, I just don't like to cuss)

• Brohoof 1

I've heard that New Jersey has some of the worst. 

As someone who lives in New Jersey, I can confirm that. Most of the people who say New Jersey are people in New York though (especailly the city), while people from New Jersey will say New York City has the worst drivers. The worst ones are the ones who act like they own the road, and the ones who drive like there's no tomorrow.

Interesting that I keep hearing California and Massachusets, because those 2 states seem to interest me the most for some reason. If I were to live in Boston though, I'd likely not own a car and just use the public transportation(which is why I'd like to live in or near a city, because I heard owning a car is more expensive until around 25(but still pricey afterwords)).

NYC is dreadful, but as someone stated, it could be because of all the traffic.

And plenty of people who live in New Jersey commute to New York on a daily basis.

Edited by Heinz

• 5 years later...
  • 2 years later...

NYC and Jersey. Philly can be but really I recommend parking at the airport and taking an Uber into the city. Theres other forms of transportation in Philly. Also just walk. Parking is expensive af.

Wisconsin has legitimately some of the douchiest drivers I’ve ever come across 

I feel like almost everyone says their state has the worst drivers. With a few exceptions. Around here (Ohio-Michigan border), people from Michigan will usually say Ohio drivers are the worst, while Ohio drivers will say the same about Michigan. I don’t think there’s really any difference, it’s just your usual state rivalry trash talk.

That said, I feel like New Jersey has the worst overall reputation for drivers. I’ve met a few people that used to live there and they’ve all mentioned how awful it is to drive there.

• Brohoof 1

On 2024-02-02 at 12:17 PM, Cheerilee said:

Probably Massachusetts. I hear they are called Massholes. 

As someone who lives right next to Massachusetts that is indeed true. When you get stuck behind a Massachusetts driver you will not be happy about it. Not that the drivers in my state are particularly great but they are not as bad as the ones from Mass.

• Brohoof 1

On 2024-02-01 at 4:43 AM, Iforgotmybrain said:

I feel like almost everyone says their state has the worst drivers. With a few exceptions. Around here (Ohio-Michigan border), people from Michigan will usually say Ohio drivers are the worst, while Ohio drivers will say the same about Michigan. I don’t think there’s really any difference, it’s just your usual state rivalry trash talk.

That said, I feel like New Jersey has the worst overall reputation for drivers. I’ve met a few people that used to live there and they’ve all mentioned how awful it is to drive there.

Yeah, it's not like most people are looking up studies of which state has the most accidents or anything, it's just a matter of complaining about their daily commute. When I lived in Arizona I had nothing but bad experiences with snowbird drivers, but it's not like I could reliably place it in a ranking of states by accident rate.

• Brohoof 1