Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is reputation fragile?

Gone Airbourne

(edited)

One thing over the years... one thing I've seen that is so important to becareful with is your own reputation. The things people remember you by and how greatly that affects your relationships with others in the long scheme of things.

Let me ask this, do you believe that reputation is a fragile thing? Do you think that a person could enter a state of no return once they've ruined their own reputation. Or is it possible for that person to redeem themselves of their foolish actions of the past? Would it be better for that person to just accept how things are and move on?

Edited by Gone Airbourne

I do believe it is a fragile thing, or at least maintaining a reputation is fragile. That is why I don't have a reputation here on the forums, or at least I am not trying to maintain a certain one that is to say. 

• Brohoof 2

You can gain your reputation by apologizing about your bad actions and promise that you won't do it again but if the bad action was very evil to a point where people won't accept your apologize then your life is going to be fucked up and you just accept that This is how your life is going to be now

I do believe it is a fragile thing, or at least maintaining a reputation is fragile. That is why I don't have a reputation here on the forums, or at least I am not trying to maintain a certain one that is to say. 

I suppose that can make a lot of sense in a way. Becoming too wrapped up or over-thinking things is never a good thing in itself. I worry a lot about losing friends I was once close with and wonder at times and over time lost a connection with that person. Maybe that's why I've taken a notice about reputation moreso these days.

You can gain your reputation by apologizing about your bad actions and promise that you won't do it again but if the bad action was very evil to a point where people won't accept your apologize then your life is going to be fucked up and you just accept that This is how your life is going to be now

It's not just apologizing though the action behind the words has to go hand in hand with the apology.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

It can be a very fragile. While most reputations can be rebuilt,Its super fragile and depending on how bad you break it. It can be a rebuild-able thing...

Edited by flyby4
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)
Long story short. Its super fragile and depending on how bad you break it.

I do think though at a certain point that you can enter a state of no return. Meaning you pretty much have no more chances of redeeming yourself (depending on the person who has known you throughout the years). I think at that point in time you have to come to grips with the circumstances and start on a new slate.

Letting go of people is a hard thing for me... but ahh somethings you have to force yourself to accept even its really hard to do at times.

Edited by Gone Airbourne

I do think though at a certain point that you can enter a state of no return. Meaning you pretty much have no more chances of redeeming yourself (depending on the person who has known you throughout the years). I think at that point in time you have to come to grips with the circumstances and start on a new slate.

It sometimes comes to that, but that is the reputation that each individual sees a person as (sorry for my bad explanation, my English is not perfect). We have a reputation for each person we interact with, every day of our life. It is how the person views us and what reputation they establish for us. However, then there is also the reputation that a whole group has established for you. 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Reputation is indeed a fragile thing, because it's like a pedestal. I think it's best to not care about your reputation, and just go on with your life. Some people will like you, some will not, the cycle goes on. haha

Though having a reputation is a nice thing. We all have a reputation about something, the more I think about it.

Edited by Mellifluous
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

@@JonasDarkmane,

You're right about that... I tend to worry a lot about things and overthink things too. I know one thing for sure though. Listening to others advice and looking at the past can help you to not repeat past mistakes for sure.

Reputation is indeed a fragile thing, because it's like a pedestal. I think it's best to not care about your reputation, and just go on with your life. Some people will like you, some will not, the cycle goes on. haha

Thought having a reputation is a nice thing. We all have a reputation about something, the more I think about it.

This is very true I certainly need to let things flow and not worry so much. Agreed.

Edited by Gone Airbourne
  • Brohoof 2

It can depend on the attitudes of people that surround you. If you are among people who are jealous or envious of one another, they're pretty much eager to rip you to shreds over a mistake. This can also be an issue if social hierarchy is seen as a pretty big deal by the people around you.

If, however, you are within a demographic that is more humble in mindset, if people are more innately inclined to connect with one another instead of comparing themselves to one another then I would predict that you would be relatively more easily forgiven and redeemed.

On MLP Forums... It's somewhere in-between with there being a mixture of both types but generally speaking, I can't say that there's any miasma in the air compared to some other places I've been to. 

True. Everything has a certain state of no return. I do see that most people despite their actions really dont intend to be bad to that point. They are mainly seeking attention in a negitve way instead of expressing themselves in a positive way. They only see themselfs as a negitive. But thats my two cents. Really reputation can make or break your relationsip with anypony, but there is a time where you need to accept the fate you have delt yourselve before you can attempt to repair any damage. Hope that made sense.

@@JonasDarkmane,

You're right about that... I tend to worry a lot about things and overthink things too. I know one thing for sure though. Listening to others advice and looking at the past can help you to not repeat past mistakes for sure.

This... very true I certainly need to let things flow and not worry so much. Agreed.

I hope you will not be troubled by reputations in the future ^^. Best of lucks ;)

• Brohoof 1

True. Everything has a certain state of no return. I do see that most people despite their actions really dont intend to be bad to that point. They are mainly seeking attention in a negitve way instead of expressing themselves in a positive way. They only see themselfs as a negitive. But thats my two cents. Really reputation can make or break your relationsip with anypony, but there is a time where you need to accept the fate you have delt yourselve before you can attempt to repair any damage. Hope that made sense.

I pretty much see myself as a negative... I don't believe that is really affecting whatever reputation I have here on the forums ^^.

Makes sense though... why worry about things. Things will be as they are and some things you have no control over.

• Brohoof 2

Yes, especially now in the age of computers and the internet where certain mistakes that people used to be able to brush off can end up ruining peoples lives. It is hard to answer if you can build back your reputation because that depends on the what, why, when where and how you lost your reputation.

• 7 years later...

I know this post is old and "might" get locked, but I HAVE to say yes. Ppl always hold on to your mistakes, and quickly disspell your triumphs, achievements and acts of good character. I am someone who has made A LOT of mistakes in my past. Part of the reason MLP sticks out so much to me is bc of it's reformation theme. 'Harmony" isn't an easy thing, but as we have seen time and again on our favorite show, it's upheld sometimes by unlikely allies and new friends. People change, some for the worst, some for the better and we owe it to ourselves to give people second chances. Lol my favorite MLP episode is "No Second Prances". You don't know the kind of friendship you might be missing out on, bc you think they are still someone they aren't.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Reputation is synonym with pretence for me. I build it only so I can blow it up.
Besides, what's the point when that "reputation" is the product of my sociopathic disorder? Or my "acceptable" social self. I cannot really tell the difference anymore. All because of this social, educational and religious conditioning that is there to separate the human creature from its natural instinctual behaviour.
So, most people only get to know my social character instead of the real me. Like all the women who coincidentally started taking walks around my place of residence when I used to meditate in my balcony. From 12 to 30 years old. With those skin-tight mini shorts. Grrrrrrr!!! That is true magic. We all know what everything comes down to in the end.

So, when people in real life buy into my social self, and often they do, because I am a sociopath, which is basically a real life actor. Then I feel bad for them. Because it is a form of emotional manipulation. And when I proceed to expose myself for real, because of this guilt, then everything goes to hell. "How dare you?!".
Really, some people get shocked because of their own self hypocrisy. Because they are scared of the truth, in a society where they have been taught and conditioned to "pretend" their entire lives. A society that has been filling their heads with tall ideas that were never there to begin with. Like space, for example. Same with religious ideology and the demonization of human nature.

So, they like the spiritual me, even though that type of clothing says otherwise. When the real me just wants to eat them all up. Nom-nom- nom-nom! You see, there goes my reputation, again.

And more often than not, I will realize people are also trying to get something out of me, under the false pretence of social appearance. Because that is simply how animal humans are in reality. And here lies the problem with society, that it creates and reinforces this cognitive dissonance by introducing a false perception of reality and human nature, through media, education, politics, etc. To subdue our wild, wild, wild nature via the introduction of false stereotypes. Which is not possible, by the way.
So, there are some people who do not know who they really are, as they have been separated from their own instinctive selves; their animal selves. And then they become over-emotional, depressed, infantilized, dissociative, sadistic, and develop a lot of other disorders and addictions. They go crazy, because their instinct is being restrained. As it would happen with any other animal. Because society has filled their heads with ideas that over-complicate the simple nature of human kind.
So, you have a bunch of socipathic characters in power now, which are very good at building "reputation", by selling you a social image that is anything but true. And the public buys, because they have been taught that being themselves in public is bad. So, everyone is pretending. And then the systematic corruption proliferates because of it.
But that is fine, because we are all sociopaths in the end. As human beings naturally display traits associated with sociopathic disorder since birth.

And I've seen "reputation" used by politicians, officers of the law, public representatives and corrupt family members to feed their animal selves far too often.

In the end. We are just animals trying to survive.

Edited by They call me Loyalty

well there are many things that could be. If you have a business/ work in business then yes, it's a very fragile thing. if you are talking about people you know then, maybe. people remeber only the last thing you did and really few people care much about others to remeber your reputation . if your talking about in love then it's how the other person is. If someone really loves then they will help you to become a better human or forgive and forget.  If were talking about the gov.  now , you want to have a good reputation. I have been around the DOD and unless you have something they really need then they will look at your reputation for a security clearance.

I have had a very bad reputation and i just moved and my reputation was back to good again:crackle: