Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Twilicorn  

959 users have voted

1. 1. Do you support Twilicorn?

• Yes
    • No
    • Indifferent

Anti-Twilicorn:

• This completely flips around the show's whole story plot.
  • This is not what the viewers necessarily need to keep watching.
  • It is Hasbro's act of desperation. They're jumping the shark.

It's because of the immediate change and rushed season finale, not to mention this season had half the episodes of the other two. This is Hasbro's "jumping the shark" and I will remain disappointed until it is justified in season 4.

Dislike:

- I feel they still had more they could have explored with Twilight as a unicorn. Might have been better to save the change for a little later.

Like:

- Twilight becoming a princess means that FiM definitely won't become a "Simpsons show". What I mean by that is, the Simpsons don't change. After more than 20 years, Bart is still a bratty kid, Homer still a doofus, etc. FiM, on the other hand, will have characters that grow, age, develop, and most importantly, change. We will get to see them not just work toward accomplishing their goals, but actually accomplishing them.

- We will learn what being a princess is like.

- We will learn what exactly the duties of a princess in Equestria are.

- Twilight will probably travel more, which means we'll see more places, such as Manehattan, Los Pegasus, etc.

- Twilight will have even bigger, more epic obstacles to overcome that should make for some very good stories.

- We will probably learn more about Celestia and Luna, as Twilight will probably be talking to them more. Luna will possibly have more screentime as a result, and more Luna is always a good thing.

- Twilight will still have time for her friends. The writers have confirmed this.

1. First off let's get the record straight so that there's no confusion here. A lot of us, or at least me, are not mad at Twilight for becoming an alicorn. If anything I'd be more upset that Celestia played god by placing Twilight into a situation that she herself showed after her transformation was hardly ready for. The people I'm angry at are the writers to some extents, but mostly Hasbro for trying to use Twilicorn as a cash cow for toys that barely resemble her:

tumblr_inline_mheefkUKus1qz4rgp-256x350.

2. Yes I will say that Magical Mystery Cure was a very good episode given the time constraints imposed. But that's the inherent problem here. There simply was too little time to fit such a significant plot into one episode. The #1 biggest and most common criticism of MMC is exactly that: it felt very rushed and there simply wasn't enough time. Its again further compounded with the issue of Hasbro just being corporate douchebag trolls wanting to make money.

If they wanted to make Twilight an alicorn they should have done it at the end of the Discord arc. Good time at the start of the season to sell any (alicorn) toys they might make while still drawing more viewers and potential buyers throughout the season. No Discord toy, no matter how cuddly and trolltastic, would outsell Twilicorn figures in Hasbro's world.

(edited)

I voted indifferent, although I am cautiously optimistic. I think it mostly depends on a few factors.

Did the staff anticipate that Season 3 would be their last season? If that's the case, if they didn't have one heck of a good contingency plan, it could lead to quality decay.

However, if they didn't anticipate this to be their last season, then that means they've had the chance to plan this out for quite some time. (And there is evidence to support this, because MLP has shown no signs of slowing down since it's premiere) Personally, I believe there are several more topics that can be explored, from the history of Starswirl the Bearded, to political relations with different nations, and even the reasoning behind the "Cosmic Council". (Not to mention the true lore surrounding Alicorns and how they work).

Really, I think it depends on how prepared they were to handle this. And the Season 3 finale I don't believe counts as a way to judge it because, from what I've heard, the staff originally intended the plotline to be a two-parter.

Edited by TheGr3ml1n

Regardless of anyone's reasons is it not the right of the creators to do what they please with their characters? You don't gotta like it but I've seen people try to write canon things out of their own personal fanon because they "didn't like what happened" and that honestly sounds pretty stupid.

Aren't you argueing against your own first statement? If some people like to eliminate some canon factors they dislike in their own creation, isn't that their right as a creator?

Also, I doubt anyone here would argue that they don't have the right to do this. It's the same thing as with the Mass Effect 3 ending. The majority of the community, or at least a non-negliable part, really disliked it, but the creators didn't change it.

I even doubt that they dislike Alicorn Twilight or the episode. It's just that this would have been a great ending for a later season... not this early.

Further...

2. Yes I will say that Magical Mystery Cure was a very good episode given the time constraints imposed. But that's the inherent problem here. There simply was too little time to fit such a significant plot into one episode. The #1 biggest and most common criticism of MMC is exactly that: it felt very rushed and there simply wasn't enough time.

What I hated most about the episode is that it consisted of 8-10 minutes actual plot, with the swapped cutie marks, the "conflict" of the episode and then the other 12-14 minutes of the episode was just about Twilight and her becoming a princess and an alicorn.

I think the 12-14 minutes for her transformation were necessary, but they shouldn't have cut that time off of the plot, "solving the conflict", which is the most interesting and fun part of a show, a book, a game. It really should have been a special episode with twice the length or two parts like the endings of the last seasons.

That it was too early to dish out this kind of "ending" is personal opinion. The other thing I mentioned is just bad dramaturgy.

• Brohoof 1

I'm in a love-hate relationship with Twilicorn. I love a lot of the fanart for her, but I hate the actual canon stuff. I know there's not a lot of it yet, but it really disappointed me that the show had been reduced to shoving pretty princess crap down our throats. Perhaps that's because I've seen this stuff way too many times before: I'm a teenage girl who grew up in the 2000's, AKA the "Princess Era" of marketing. While princesses have almost always been a trope associated with young girls, it was around this time girl's marketing started to advertise them everywhere. Disney Princess merch was piled onto store shelves. Evil queens and princess heroines reigned over girls' entertainment. And this still continues today.

Yes, I realize this isn't the first new princess to be added to FiM, but Cadance doesn't bother me too much since HALF OF ALL THE EPISODES don't revolve around her. If the writers give her some flaws then she'll be set. But Twilight is the main character of the series, and I wish Hasbro waited until the last episode to ascend her to royalty. Also, while I could very well be wrong, but Cadance seemed to cure her OCD in Games Ponies Play. And I'm sorry,  but seeing Fluttershy say "You look just like a princess!" made me cringe.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe season 4 will be amazing. Maybe I'm just saddlesore.

But making me wait 6+ months to find out isn't exactly helping.

• Brohoof 1

I don't think I can really "support" or not. Because, we don't even have enough information to tell. She was only in the episode for what maybe a few mins. But, some of you may be able to support her but, I can't not support her or support her.

Twilight's still the same pony, wings or no wings.  She still loves her books and she still loves her friends.  Being a princess and having wings doesn't change things for Twilight in that way.  I think everyone is over thinking the twilicorn thing.  The heart of the character is still unchanged for the most part.  THAT'S what matters.

OH MY GOD, WHY DO PEOPLE ACCEPT THIS? EVERYPONY SHOULD COMPLAIN TO HASBRO AND DHX TO CHANGE HER BACK!

But no, seriously, I support this. It's not going to be the end of Equestria or the show if Twilight becomes an Alicorn. Everything changes

IRL, but you don't see me complaining (or most people for that matter). I'm not trying to shove liking AliTwi down anyone's throats, you

have your beliefs, I have mine.

I don't think that the transformation to alicorn was really... Necessary. At least not at this point.

However, I think that it has the potential to open up some great storylines and give a new insight into how Equestria works, amongst many other things. I'm looking forward to seeing what the staff pull out of the bag. I do sort of question the timing of it, but hey, they haven't let me down yet. :)

Although I have calmed down considerably since it was first announced and after another freakout after seeing the finale which I am sorry ladies and gents I still think is the worst episode of the entire series I am still not completely sold on twilicorn. despite the fact that I still have doubts though I think that this can still work and will work if Hasbro steps back and lets the writers do their jobs. I could still continue to freak out and drive myself to drink for the next several months but I have decided to at least for now try to put my doubts aside at least enough to not give myself a heart attack and hope for the best. 

I like Twilight a great deal, she was my 2nd favorite pony when this was first announced and jumped up to being tied with Applejack and Luna for my favorite pony sometimes after because it did give me a reminder albeit one not under the best circumstances of why I like Twilight as a character. And that did feed into my initial panic as she is too good of a character to deserve the Mary Sue treatment.

(edited)

@@Commander_PonyShep,

@,

@@SonicAddictPony,

@@MadPointer,

@@Crimzo,

Hello there. Your topics were all related to sharing whether you support Alicorn Twilight and giving reasons for it, or asking others to do the same. For convenience, these threads have been merged with the pinned topic for sharing our views on the issue. 

Edited by DashForever

I had never really thought that Twilight would become a Princess, so I'm not quite sure on my thoughts.

Twilight was never really

One of my favorites, but I think it's nice that one of the man six is a Princess!

honestly yes my views on the twilight alicron ascension have changed dramatically the first time i heard that twilight sparkle was goin to become a princess i didn't listen and  shrugged it off as some viral fan fic then i saw the picture hasbro released and i freaked out. but now i have come to terms with the whole princess ordeal and have come to embrace the thought of new adventure for twilight and the mane 6 ( i have a sneaking suspicion that they will all become princesses)  ph34r.png wink.png     

i think i could be good its mainly the reason cylestia  took her as her student to make twillight her protocessor so i think it can make things interesting.

I know that there's been a lot of debate an viewpoints in regards to being for or against the whole Twilicorn crap, but my reaction is: Who cares? (Well, a lot of people - but you get my point.)

I think that MLP's overall storyline could go in an interesting direction either way and thus resulting in more entertainment.

Does anyone else think the same way as me, or am I just the odd pony out? Odd pony out... heh heh..

-Myself

This is a topic I posted and DashForever locked my topic and directed me to the appropriate topic to share my viewpoint and discuss this stuff.

Well... discuss. :3

I see the Twilicorn as two things. First ammo for the show but second as a hindrance. Because now its like Well now the main character has gone as far as she can. I mean its really interesting but sadly they weren't surprising with it at all it was like Oh so it happened already great I think I heard it best from @Screwball@SBMF if they won't have been like Oh yeah this is happening it would have been a much more powerful scene. But besides the build up pros and cons.

Pros there is a new Princess so we can see the journey and evolvution of Twilight as a princess. We also have the opportunity to see how things will be different now in Ponyville as I'm pretty sure Twilight will want to stay there. I could also see many interesting episodes with Rainbow Dash helping Twilight learn to fly that would be awesome.

Cons My biggest one is now where do you go once you make a character top the chart its very hard to keep story moving and evolving. the next one is could this hinder the mane 6 now without twilight's normal character there I think things will be different once her new duties come to happen.

Over all interesting maybe I lean a bit towards liking it or maybe I'm just insane I guess I can let you all decide.

I have heard some arguments about Alicorns. This one guy thought that alicorns were only meant for the "gods" of equestria, Celestia and Luna. Then once Cadence was revealed to be an Alicorn, he was pretty taken by that fact. Since Cadence was clearly not immortal or controlling of anything as powerful as the sun or moon so this busted that theory. I think, alicorns are meant for princesses, not just "gods" It all matches, Princess Celestia, Luna, Cadence and now, Twilight.

But here are my questions, If they introduce more princesses, will they be alicorns too? what if a pony is an earth pony transformed into an alicorn? will they acquire both a horn and wings? And I've seen some pretty interesting fanart of Twilight staying young while her friends age and ultimately die before her. (very sad indeed. The feels got to me) if this is true, than Alicorns are immortal, does this make cadence immortal too? 

• Brohoof 1