Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Here goes nothing...

DoctorWhovian1902

I'm showing a friend of mine the show. He's a hater/non-brony, but he is my friend nonetheless, so I believe he'll give it an honest chance. The thing is, this person has a very high standing in the school and in my parents eyes (in other words, a lot of people like and respect him), so whether he likes it or not could determine what happens later on.

My plan is to start him off with a video showing the best of Pinkie Pie (a Brony friend recommended I do this), then show him the commercial where they parodied "The Most Interesting Man in the World", then finally, show him the episode "Read It and Weep". If he likes that, I'll show him either "Putting Your Hoof Down" (haven't seen it myself, but I've heard it's good), "Bridle Gossip" (humorous and makes an alcohol joke for good measure), and/or "The Return of Harmony" (excellent episode overall). I'm not sure what's going to happen, but I'm hoping for the best. Regardless of what happens, I will remain in the fandom, though. Even if I have to do so in secret.

So with that said, does anyone have any last minute suggestions?

P.S. I'll report on how things went later.

Edit: He said it was entertaining, but it was a kids show. It wasn't as "miserable as he thought it would be", and he neither hated it nor liked it. He's nuetral on it. He said he couldn't see himself watching it regularly, but he still gave credit where it was due. I explained that there were a lot more episodes with a deeper plot surrounding the whole thing (the whole "Mane 6" thing, to be clear. EoH and all that). When asked if he'd be willing to watch more, he said "maybe".

So yeah, I'm pretty happy, even if he isn't a brony...yet.

Also, for the record, I couldn't show him anything more than the Dos Equis parody and "Read It and Weep" because it was 9:00 by the time we finished, very late for both of us. So he headed off and I feel a bit more confident.

Edited by whoovesfan7698
  • Brohoof 1

I'd recommend maybe Lesson Zero, Keep Calm and Flutter On, or May the Best Pet Win. Those are all some of my favorite episodes, and seem like they would appeal the most to people who haven't watched the show.

Edited by Betez
  • Brohoof 3

Hmmm.. Sleepless and Wonder Bolt Academy are good episodes. If you are doing season 2 stuff, I liked Hurricane Fluttershy. If you want a decent intro to the characters, the third episode is a good one for that "The ticket master." Winter Wrap up is another good 1st season one to throw in.

Putting your Hoof Down is not one I would recommend.

Edited by silvadel
  • Brohoof 1

Try showing your friend Sleepless in Ponyville, Wonderbolts Academy, Winter Wrap-Up, and Cutie Mark Chronicles. I say those episodes could change your friend's opinion about the show.

• Brohoof 1

Or you could do what I did, and just hypnotize him with binaural beats in his sleep. The old man down the street from my house gave me a set of instructions for putting together right tones in an editing program that's totally not illegal due to horrendous uses in the past.

Do  Lesson Zero, The one where Pinkie goes crazy, Sonic Rainboom, First episodes of season 2 with Discord would be good, too. BUT NO LAST EPISODE OF SEASON 3!!!!!!!! THEY'LL FIND IT TOO GIRLY.

Edited by PonyParty10

Oh dang; it's advancement... Well, let's hope things work out... I'm honestly hoping it will...

Still though, I can't see why the opinion of the mentioned friend of yours is actually more important to your parents than your own. Because, that's the type of impression I am getting from your post.

Oh well, nonetheless, good luck.

• Brohoof 1

Well, good luck to you.  I hope that now matter how things go, that they work out for the best.

Note: I'd avoid Putting Your Hoof Down.  Don't get me wrong, it's an alright episode, it's just... not really a great representation of the show itself.  If you're trying to prove that the show isn't 'girly', I'd listen to the above suggestions of 'Lesson Zero'.  "Return of Harmony' is obviously a good one.  Also, though a somewhat odd choice many may think, I might recommend 'Over a Barrel'.  Yes, I'm aware that a very large portion of the fandom despises this episode, but it really does get across the message of the show not being overly 'girly garbage'.  In fact, it even mocks that to a degree (Pinkie's 'You Gotta Share' song ends up making the situation worse).

Well, good luck, I showed my friend Friendship is Magic Part 1 and 2, he liked it, but I really suggest "Lesson Zero" it is one of my favorites. I really do NOT suggest Magical Mystery Cure! Too much singing and stuff. Don't get me wrong, I loved the episode, just non-bronies might think its a little girly.

I agree with others, Magical Mystery Cure is not one I would reccomend. I would probably show Return of Harmony, or Canterlot Wedding. Those two have showed a lot of people that this show is awesome.

I would not reccomend Putting Your Hoof Down. It's an excellent episode for Fluttershy, but it's better for Bronies than Non-Bronies.

Also, out of interest, is this friend just a non-brony, but an actualy Hater?

I second Return of Harmony. although really, it all depends on what characters you think they'd like and what kind of humor they're into. Just don't show them an episode like Green is not your Color, for example, if you think that they wouldn't like Rarity. You could just go the traditional Brony route with Friendship is Magic parts 1 and 2, but I personally didn't find those episodes very endearing when I first watched them. I guess as a cartoon, it really doesn't matter what episode you start off on. 

Magical Mystery Cure is a no-go though, and your friend will probably just be confused. It also destroys the emotional aspect of the episode, which is seeing a character we know and love grow, as well as the nostalgic clips and references. Plus, a musical episode with 7+ songs is NOT a good episode to start people off on, regardless of what show it is. 

• Brohoof 1

I guess The Best Night Ever (e.g. The Grand Galloping Gala) is also a no-go for the same reasons as Magical Mystery Cure.

Also just try not to be a Jenovah's Witness about it. If he doesn't like the show after watching a couple episodes just let it go, it doesn't matter. But you do have to introduce him to the forums if he gets hooked on it.

Most bronies tend to be interested by Rainbow Dash at first because of her attitude and her colorful mane, before realizing Twilight was the one I could relate to. It was originally the Rainbow Dash episodes that sold me, and I have to admit Wonderbolts Academy was fun because it was somehow nostalgic for me.

So I guess those episodes could get your friend really hooked to MLP. Most of them have already been proposed by other bronies here.

• Brohoof 1

I don't get it. He has a high standing in your parents eyes? Do they like him better than you or something? Frankly, I wouldn't hang out with someone who's opinion my parents sought over mine!  If he doesn't like the show after you force feed it to him, will he order your parents to beat you up or disown you?

Seriously, if you already know he's a hater/non-Brony, why the heck are you even going to try and cram it down his throat? Why not just leave him alone? I really don't understand why people find it so important to force their friends to watch something, just because they watch it. Does he force you to watch every show he watches?

Edited by cuteycindyhoney
  • Brohoof 1

I got the same reaction out of my friend eric.

I'd keep trying to make him part of the herd but he's a stubborn motherfucker so as long as he isn't anti brony I could care less.

I think he'll turn eventually cause literally half of our friends our bronies, It shouldn't take too long.