Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Are Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy hybrids?

~Master~ Button Mash

I'm not sure about Pinkie Pie or Fluttershy, but I'm fairly certain that Rainbow Dash can run gasoline or full electric. Granny Smith runs on steam only, but she uses anything combustible to get the fires going! 

Seriously though (As serious you can be about a cartoon) Fluttershy seems to have the heart and soul of an Earth pony. Pinkie Pie is unique onto herself though. Her abilities have nothing really to do with the somewhat structured and organized methods of magic used by unicorns. Pinkie stands alone!

(I think Equestria is safer that way!) 

I'm not sure about Pinkie Pie or Fluttershy, but I'm fairly certain that Rainbow Dash can run gasoline or full electric. Granny Smith runs on steam only, but she uses anything combustible to get the fires going!

Seriously though (As serious you can be about a cartoon) Fluttershy seems to have the heart and soul of an Earth pony. Pinkie Pie is unique onto herself though. Her abilities have nothing really to do with the somewhat structured and organized methods of magic used by unicorns. Pinkie stands alone!

(I think Equestria is safer that way!) 

Ha, Pinkie Pie isn't doing unicorn ability...she is doing Pinky Magic... that is the sort of magic that even highest unicorn (Star beard) couldn't do... (cause even Twili can't figure out, I don't know about Twilicorn but Twili is certainly giving up...)

Edited by Cluanne Youla

I've had the head canon that Pinkie Pie was part unicorn for quite some time now - I wrote a piece on it somewhere in a head canon thread:

The second one I have is that Pinkie Pie is half-unicorn. Yes, it sounds ridiculous, but think about it - while Earth ponies are known for their strength and have their own type of magic, that magic only applies to planting food as told in the Hearth Warming's Eve production. Pinkie Pie can see the immediate future, she has an Eidetic memory, and she can break the laws of physics. Unicorns have confirmed time magic (S2E20), they have superior intelligence, and S2E02 proved levitation in itself to be possible - it corresponds to the principle talents of Pinkie. She also knows a lot about magical elements - she knows the Mirror Pool chant, she has a knack of coming right across magical books, and she's clearly knowledgeable about magical creatures such as parasprites. I don't think Pinkie Pie does this merely to be the "stick her in when you need something impossible done" pony in the show, I think there's a bit of unicorn in her. It fits.

I'll also add that breaking physics and Pinkie sense aren't her only forms of magic. There are many other situations that are clearly magical, but not her lifting the laws of physics from herself per se. For instance, in the Smile song, when she plays jump rope with the kindergarteners the jump rope is spinning all by itself - floating, nopony holding onto either end. No unicorns in sight either, and no magical aura around it as normally happens with spells.

Additionally, as a user in this thread rightly said, certain races of pony have evident generational gaps (Mr. and Mrs. Cake having a unicorn and a Pegasus from distant relatives being the main example). We've only seen Pinkie Pie's parents, who are both Earth ponies, but we've only ever heard of her Nana Pinkie. And from what we have heard from her, she is very knowledgeable and wise, well-versed in magical matters such as the dispelling of spirits in the Everfree Forest, and the Mirror Pool legend. Don't you think that matches up? It wouldn't be a stretch at all to say that she was a unicorn.

Yeah, it's definitely not just imposition of comic relief that she can do and know all these things. I do think there are unicorn genes in her. smile.png

Edited by Flipturn ツ
  • Brohoof 1

@,

You know, I can't help but agree with what you're saying. I was going to argue against Pinkie Pie being a hybrid because even though Pinkie Pie is clearly playing a tuba with no mouth in the episode Magic Duel, Twilight explained that it wasn't magic, "that [it] was just Pinkie Pie", and after all, Twilight has studied magic all her life and should be able to tell the difference between what's magic and what's not, but maybe Twilight is just stuck in her own world of facts that she can't see past the fact Pinkie Pie looks very much like an Earth Pony and can't possibly have any magic to do what she does.

However, all the things Pinkie Pie does is beyond Twilight's explanations other than "that's just Pinkie Pie." Considering that Twilight has read most of the books and scrolls in the Canterlot library, which no doubt has a nearly endless knowledge of magic, Twilight has never encountered anything that explains what Pinkie Pie can do. I doubt that she would even be able to explain it if Pinkie Pie did have a horn.

There is no doubt that Pinkie Pie hold some sort of magic, breaking laws that not even unicorns who are gifted in magic can imagine breaking with all their power (eg. walking in the air, slowing down while falling, playing ten instruments at once, being able to predict the future), but what if it's not because Pinkie Pie is a hybrid, but because she's something else completely.

Maybe she's from a race of magical beings who, though looking like ordinary Earth Ponies, are capable of amazing feats. Or perhaps, she wasn't even born to the family of Earth Ponies but adopted. After all, when we see her parents and siblings, all of them are various shades of grays and browns, and yet Pinkie Pie is a bright pink. While it's possible that it's just a recessive genetic trait, seeing as how two Earth Ponies could give birth to a unicorn and a pegasus, it could also be possible that she wasn't actually born to two Earth Ponies but merely raised by them.

As for Fluttershy, well I'm pretty sure she just likes staying on the ground because flying school has just about traumatized her from taking to the skies much, and because she has a kind and gentle nature, she finds herself much more comfortable on the ground with the animals so I doubt she's a hybrid.

I see Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy, and Rarity as the ponies that aren't as dependent on their ability. Twilight Sparkle, Rainbow Dash, and Applejack are more dependent on their ability.

There's one fanfiction out there that speculates that Pinkie Pie is actually a Changeling. Not the Chrysalis type we've seen in the show, but the Fae type of Celtic and Nordic myth.

I got struck with this thought earlier today:

Fluttershy is physically a Pegasus, but she has the exceptional earth-tending abilities unique to Earth Ponies.

At the same time, Pinkie Pie is physically an Earth Pony, but she seems to have some magical capabilities (shape-shifting, Pinkie Sense, etc) unique to Unicorns.

So, in a way, is Fluttershy a Pegasus/Earth hybrid, while Pinkie Pie is an Earth/Unicorn hybrid? They each seem to possess abilities that usually aren't present in their apparent races.

Thoughts?

Actually, I don't think that Fluttershy would be able to do what she does without wings. Some animals might live high up in trees, and birds might perch in high places. Without her wings, she would not be able to tend to them. Plus, her wings allow her to escape from any dangerous situations involving animals. 

As for Pinkie Pie, I'm not sure. Her capabilities seem far beyond even what unicorns and alicorns do. She has altered reality on several occasions. So far, the only other character who has been shown to do that is Discord. So, perhaps Pinkie Pie uses the same magic Discord does. However, how or why she had access to that kind of magical power, when it appears that Princess Celestia herself doesn't, I don't know. 

• 5 years later...

Well, we've seen both Pinkie and Fluttershy's parents at this point so that's a definite no on them being first generation hybrids.  It's possible that they might have Earth or Unicorn grandparents but I'm just not sure about that.

I do like the idea of hybrid ponies though.  After all, unless Mr. and Mrs. Cake have a Pegasus and Unicorn parent respectively, I don't know how else you'd explain the Cake twins.

• Brohoof 1