General Chat Thread

Apple      Bloom

Have your notifs been a bit strange...

They are a work in progress, right now. I wrote a new notifications backend when we realized that the strain from the old one was killing the webserver randomly during the day. Notifications along were adding about 30 requests per second and all of them were being processed using the same "workers" that are supposed to be generating these pages for us.

To put that in perspective, that 30 rps was about:

• 1,800 per minute
  • 108,000 per hour
  • 2,592,000 per day

That is... A *lot* of dynamically generated responses. The worst thing is that every. single. response. required a new instantiation of the entire IP.Board stack. Basically, it is similar to rebooting your computer every time that you want to check your email. It is a bit more time consuming than just making the db query direct. (We're talking about 300ms as compared to just 50ms. When you are getting 30 requests per second... That 300ms wait time becomes a disaster.)

Well, when we realized what the problem was, Feld0 was like "How long for a fix?" I looked at the issue, thought hard and said, "Piece of cake, no more than a couple hours." Then, I started digging. After wading through thousands of lines of IP.Board source code, I finally found the culprits. Then I jury-rigged a node.js process up to emulate the response. Well, it worked when I tested it offsite, but it failed miserably when I plugged it in. I had a problem with cross-origin-requests.

I did battle with that for about 4 hours before I gave up and just proxied from a mlpforums.com path. Then, I had another problem, the notifications were all wonky. It looks like I'd found the wrong code in IP.Board, so... I went back in. To make a long story short, this whole thing has taken a disturbing amount of hours of work to nail down right. 

There are still a few kinks, but I have a few small fixes to make that should iron them out. It was worth it though. The web server no longer crashes periodically due to waiting for a billion notifications to send, and we now have an average processing delay of about 20 to 40 ms. Even better than I expected.

TL;DR Just be patient. I'm on the case. :)

• Brohoof 2

lol

anime

ew

I actually find it to be really weird when people say they just don't like anime.

It's like saying "I don't like Pixar movies because they're animated and made by Pixar" but worse. 

• Brohoof 1

755cde9892.png

You'll be entranced by me ♥

Have your notifs been a bit strange...

Ah, forgot to add... After all of my hard work... IPS needed to take the live notifications offline for a few days so that they could troubleshoot another bug in the site. I was a sad pony, but yeah... The little icons were disabled for a few days. 

I actually find it to be really weird when people say they just don't like anime.

It's like saying "I don't like Pixar movies because they're animated and made by Pixar" but worse. 

i don't don't like anime. but it isn't my cup of tea. i watched Death Note and i liked it, but that's it. anime is not something i am able to digest properly.

KvTw2d6.png

Soundcloud---------Twitter---------Tumblr---------DeviantArt

hey guys, should i make an ask thread where i answer all my questions with a video

DO NOT BUCK WITH ME, THIS IS FOR YOUR OWN SAFETY.

oc: http://mlpforums.com/page/roleplay-characters/_/staticthor-draconus-r126

second oc: http://mlpforums.com/page/roleplay-characters/_/sultrus-r3025

i don't don't like anime. but it isn't my cup of tea. i watched Death Note and i liked it, but that's it. anime is not something i am able to digest properly.

Death Note is mediocre at best. Lel. 

755cde9892.png

You'll be entranced by me ♥

Logistically speaking, anime is just an animation style of cartoons imported from Japan.

Flutters_and_Dash.png

Death Note is mediocre at best. Lel. 

i found it far more compelling than anything else my brother had shown me, which is far too much.

Logistically speaking, anime is just an animation style of cartoons imported from Japan.

i'm talking about the whole sub-culture/fandom/whatever surrounding it, i think. that, for me, is what my brother thinks of when he hears about ponies and bronies. in other words, i can't take it seriously at all.

KvTw2d6.png

Soundcloud---------Twitter---------Tumblr---------DeviantArt

Say, what would happen if the number of active members increased by a large number? How would the forum handle such an influx of sudden activity?

Before the notifications backend being rewritten, we would have been in serious trouble. When we had one day, recently, with over 200 members online, the server skipped a beat nearly every 15 minutes. The actual server logs reached gigabytes in size. (Yeah, that's right... Gigabytes of text. That's insane. We're talking millions of lines. The fun part is that I had to poke around in there to figure out what was wrong.)

However, right now... The server would sneeze at doubling the traffic. In fact, I'm quite sure that we could have a thousand members logged in online (4 times the current peak average) and the site would continue to hum along quite nicely. In fact, I think that our limit is around 2,000 members logged in online, at once, before we would start to have issues.

The notifications backend that I wrote was made for handling epic numbers of little requests, so it would easily be able to dish out hundreds of updates per second without even sneezing. Our database server has been optimized *heavily*, so that wouldn't be a problem either. Our server has mountains of memory, so that would be a-ok as well. In other words, we got this.

• Brohoof 2

hey guys, should i make an ask thread where i answer all my questions with a video

DO NOT BUCK WITH ME, THIS IS FOR YOUR OWN SAFETY.

oc: http://mlpforums.com/page/roleplay-characters/_/staticthor-draconus-r126

second oc: http://mlpforums.com/page/roleplay-characters/_/sultrus-r3025

i'm talking about the whole sub-culture/fandom/whatever surrounding it, i think. that, for me, is what my brother thinks of when he hears about ponies and bronies. in other words, i can't take it seriously at all.

Weird. I just like anime. Not much else in the world of anime. Fandoms are scary...

@@Key Gear,

I find it ironic I didn't receive a notification from your quote, despite the other quotes did provide notifications.

Flutters_and_Dash.png

If you want. I don't have an opinion on something like that.

Flutters_and_Dash.png

so here i am to promote my rp that needs interest and people. links in my signature. also lets entertain each other with my ask my oc that also in my signature. i should feel ashamed that i am prostituting promoting myself like this but what else can ya do?

also for an added degradation to my name i need a virtual gf on here. pm to apply haha *starts crying*

R.I.P. Lord Bababa and Harmonic Revelations

i'm pretty sure it's my dad that has done so. he has a few things he need to answer about when i wake up tomorrow, alright.

So, like, you keep you money in a jar or wallet or something? And money has been going missing?

Flutters_and_Dash.png

in a money pouch. and yes, it's missing every note that was in there, and the weight of the coins have been significantly lowered.

That does sound rather suspicious, How much did you have?

Flutters_and_Dash.png