Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

If King Sombra Returns should he be redeemed?

100 beasts kaidou

If king sombra Returns should he be redeemed  

57 users have voted

1. 1. yes or no

• Yes
    • No

Now with The Trading Card saying he might return and Meghan McCarthy Saying that she wanted to do more with him than he was at season opener, It is safe to assume that even though he is dead he might return The same way The Lich returned. however this isnt about is he going to return or not. this is about If He returns should he be redeemed or not. Personaly I prefere not because He is the only Pure Evil character in G4 and redeeming him would be like The Lich being redeemed

No, he doesn't need to be redeemed and he shouldn't. Sombra is the embodiment of pure evil. His soul is dark, and he desires nothing more than pain, agony, and misery at the expense of his slaves. His extreme cruelty makes Discord look tame in comparison.

Instead, if they ever bring him back, give him more character development to show us viewers how evil he can be. Show us more of an evil, disgusting personality rather than have us proven that he's evil by the artifacts he possesses nor a vision of his past cruelty with the Crystal Empire. Give him a genuine, three-dimensional, EVIL personality instead!

• Brohoof 13

King Sombra is a different type of villain. He's not one who's simply chosen to be a villain; you can tell from how he pretty much epitomises evil (dark magic, evil presence, tyranny) that he's gone past the point of return. While Discord's magic is neutral yet he initially used it for chaos, King Sombra's magic is nothing more than sheer evil; redeeming him would make him completely redundant.

• Brohoof 1

Absolutely not. If Sombra returned, it would be another chance for the writers to give him some more personality, since he is often regarded as the worst villain simply because of his lack of personality, which I can agree to. He would've possibly been the best villain if only the writers accomplished this.

Absolutely not. If Sombra returned, it would be another chance for the writers to give him some more personality, since he is often regarded as the worst villain simply because of his lack of personality, which I can agree to. He would've possibly been the best villain if only the writers accomplished this.

The only problem is that If they gave him more screen time due to how he is potrayed there would have alot of scenes that Would scare the little girls, If they showed him torturing the crystal Ponies with a whip Parents would complain, If he stabbed somepony with his horn Parents would complain, They could have given him Minions that he talks to but there wasnt enough time, Also he is more of a fighter than a master mind but the only Pony he could have hurt at that moment was SA since I am pretty sure Hasbro wont allow men on women abuse in their shows. the problem wasnt him but the fact that the show was for little girls so they had to think twice about the scenes he was in

No, redeeming King Sombra would make no sense whatsoever King Sombra was intended to be an embodiment of pure evil. He was the closest thing in the current generation of MLP to a Tirek or Grogar, he was and always should be a tyrant motivated by a limitless lust for power.

Edited by Nightwatcher

No way, he's basically like the God of Evil and Fear, the creator of dark magic and the ruler of an ancient empire. Redeeming him wouldn't be as easy as Discord either, so that's something to think about. Plus ruling of the Crystal Empire probably isn't the only evil thing he's done, he must of done other terrible things in the past that we don't even know yet. He could be Equestria's Satan for all we know.

However if he does return, his character development is definitely something we need to know! They left such great potential in him, I really do hope we get to know him better or at least he gets mentioned in S4.

Those who liked King Sombra liked him because he was pure evil. He didn't need a reason, he just did it for his own enjoyment. Taking that away would be cliché and it wouldn't make sense.

• Brohoof 1

No? Why?

Not only would it ruin a great character but it would also make me lose even more faith in the shows writers. 
​Sombra is the only Villain who did what he did because he was purely evil.  Or Nightmare Moon, but i don't see that as neither a villain or someone who got evil intentions. 

They already redeemed Discord, I didn't agree entirely with that. Doing it to another villain would just be silly.

I doubt they'll try it with King Sombra, he's EXTREMELY unlikeable (unlike the charismatic Discord), he has an evil-looking design, and he has next to no spoken lines.

Friendship is Magic, but not that magic...

No thanks. Look what they did to Discord ("Oh, I just wanted a friend all along - sorry I ruled over you ponies 1000 years ago and dangled you over first pits, then nearly wrecked the entire world as you know it when I was released again and then I turned you all against each other for shits and giggles, and celebrated my utter mind-raping of Twilight... please love me now...") for the sake of setting a prop into place for the season finale. Let Sombra stay the crazy-prepared-how-little-we-knew-thee villain he is now. Something about his horn wrecking havoc in Equestria would be fine, though.

Edited by Full Spectrum

Aw hell naw!

Not only would it be nonsensical on the edge of self parody, but I'm pretty sure Sombra is irredeemable.

Mind rape, slavery, and taunting an entire race by placing their only means of escape from misery just out of reach but still in plain view, all before breakfast.

It's like if after three years of me killing and torturing children, Dumbledore was all like "I see good in him".

Sombra is one of those villans that, if he is redeemed, then we begin singing the funeral dirge for MLP:FiM, for that would mean that you have absolutely nothing else to use. AT ALL.

It would be like redeeming a lich, as said above. You do not redeem pure evil, unless you have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING LEFT in your plans or imagination.

My opinon, of course.

The only problem is that If they gave him more screen time due to how he is potrayed there would have alot of scenes that Would scare the little girls, If they showed him torturing the crystal Ponies with a whip Parents would complain, If he stabbed somepony with his horn Parents would complain, They could have given him Minions that he talks to but there wasnt enough time, Also he is more of a fighter than a master mind but the only Pony he could have hurt at that moment was SA since I am pretty sure Hasbro wont allow men on women abuse in their shows. the problem wasnt him but the fact that the show was for little girls so they had to think twice about the scenes he was in

Torture/violence wasn't exactly what I had in mind. What I meant to say was more like giving him more lines and physical actions. Someone actually made up a drinking game where you take a shot every time Sombra growls or looks threatening, but does nothing. I meant something that fixes this without resorting to violence, torture, etc.

It would be pretty hard to make believable redeeming a character so consumed by his own dark desires that his physical appearance changes. I mean look at what he does. Mind alteration, bringing forth your deepest fears and haunting you with them, enslaving an entire race, banishing said race from reality, hiding their only hope just out of reach of them. Yeah this dude is pure evil so it would be very hard to believe. Though I would like to see him appear again. 

Torture/violence wasn't exactly what I had in mind. What I meant to say was more like giving him more lines and physical actions. Someone actually made up a drinking game where you take a shot every time Sombra growls or looks threatening, but does nothing. I meant something that fixes this without resorting to violence, torture, etc.

So would you bronies be happy if he told a chessy joke Or just let the main Six go because he underrrated him? Look at Sauron or Lich , Theey dint need to even talk or do a thing to look scary, however What they would have done if it wasnt for a fluke, Sauron would have destroyed middle earth, Lich would destroy every Living thing, And King Sombra would have had his hatred and fear spread all over equestria maybe even effecting the princesses themselfs. also what did you think he would do if he was face to face with twilight? Unless he is being hold down by discord or somepony powerful he would just rip her head off. Like I said some villains have the unknown factor and that makes them more scary

I don't think so, if they go around redeeming every villain they ever introduced in the series, things might get boring. Considering Sombra is a naturally evil guy, I don't think you could even talk to him without starting a fight or whatnot.

I would like to see him make a return though.

Edited by Moonlight Flower

I don't think so, if they go around redeeming every villain they ever introduced in the series, things might get boring. Considering Sombra is a naturally evil guy, I don't think you could even talk to him without starting a fight or whatnot.

I would like to see him make a return though.

Makes you think, Will we see him having a fight with somepony who is very powerfull, as in that pony is trying to hold him while the mane six is trying to get TEOH, A fight between Discord and Sombra would be badass

Uuuuhhhhhm, nope. Sombra is evil, he should stay evil. It simply wouldn't work if they made him a nice guy, and the way his character has been developed so far he wouldn't even want to have the oppourtunity to become good.

Sorry, but I think I will have to draw the line at King Sombra. Discord? Yeah they made that work. Queen Chrysalis? Eh, maybe, but they would have to really do it well and it would probably have to be my limit. King Sombra? Sorry, this unicorn is the MLP version of Sauron and the Lich. He is basically the pony boogeyman.

• Brohoof 2

Sorry, but I think I will have to draw the line at King Sombra. Discord? Yeah they made that work. Queen Chrysalis? Eh, maybe, but they would have to really do it well and it would probably have to be my limit. King Sombra? Sorry, this unicorn is the MLP version of Sauron and the Lich. He is basically the pony boogeyman.

I agree, Unlike the other villains He pretty much was a mahine that could think, while NMN Was just misunderstood ,Discord Wasnt really evil and Chrysalis does what she does to survive. Sombra on the other hand choose to be One of the devils Demons, He wasnt misunderstood, he did not even had a reason for what hes doing, except for Wanting to get his Kingdom back so he can torture the crystal ponies some more, I dont even wanna think of what he did to the crystal ponies

No flipping way.

Why?

Well, aside from the fact that I don't want a card-board cutout of pure-evil coming back with some kind of other defining traits (which would be hard enough to implement into something that is the 'pure embodiment of evil'), I just don't like the idea of them pulling another 180 on a villain. Nightmare moon was turned over with very little explanation, they already ruined discord, and Sombra wasn't even a good villain to begin with.

Edited by Tex

I like where this poll is going. 100% agreement so far.

I don't think Sombra should be redeemed. So far we've had Nightmare Moon, corrupted by jealousy, Queen Chrysalis, who HAS to do what she does to feed her subjects, and Discord, who's alignment leans more towards Chaotic Neutral. Sombra is and should remain pure evil. He is literally made out of ebil magickz, or at least dark clouds. And dark clouds are always bad news. Just the tip of his horn has enough evil to corrupt physical objects. I hope they do more with him, it'd be interesting to keep a villain with no possibility of being reformed.

..unless Twilight uses that highly unethical reform spell she mentioned...

No, but hasbro will most likely have their ways with things. A person like that most likely won't get redeemed due to their nature, because the only reasons Discord and Trixxe became good was because their not so evil like Sombra. I mean, Discord was just a prankster and Trixxe was just boastful wanna-be, unlike Sombra who enslaved a whole kingdom.