mega thread Last Movie You Watched?

GrooveBroove

The last movie I watched was Independence Day.

Independence Day Movie Poster Hi-res Stock Photography And, 58% OFF

• Brohoof 2
  • Excited 1
  • Party! 1

TheRockARooster_SIG_1.png.ba26e8cf0dd0c6bbe959a996859ff0ad.png

sig by @Kyoshi

The last movie I watched was My Little Pony : Equestria Girls.

zT92hPXA5X6ppKjnjf9VfU51aR8.jpg

• smile 2
  • Party! 2

sig by @Kyoshi

(edited)

The last movie I watched was Double Blind. I watched it with my brother figure :3

Edited by Crash_xox
  • Brohoof 2

The Godfather (1972).

1972??? Sheesh I was sure it was later than that.

The shooting of Sonny scene took 3 days to film (and after 'dry run' rehearsals). James Caan wasn't happy about having explosive squibs taped all over his body so it had to be right first time, 'cause he was only going to do it once, and I can't say I blame him! :o

• Brohoof 1
  • smile 1

5d99c364c08b6737376366.gif.dfa4553cb69616eb874ec1343886e9fa.gif

REDWINGS HORSE SANCTUARY  www.redwings.org.uk

The last movie I watched was Star Wars : Episode I - The Phantom Menace.

5LJd9hCRZnZFerBdt4P12WMu0qw.jpg

• Brohoof 1
  • smile 1
  • Hugs 1

sig by @Kyoshi

(edited)

I watched Inside Out 2 yesterday. A bit overrated as people hyped it way too much, but still a nice watch. If you enjoyed the first film, you should enjoy this one too.

Edited by Starlight Serenade
  • Brohoof 1
  • smile 1

(edited)

Upgrade (2018). I'm glad that artificial intelligence won in this movie.

Edited by ComanderZhabikKlavik
  • Brohoof 1

T-90.jpg.c09d40d696a92846d7036daccbfabe0c.jpg
                                                                                                                                                   T-90

Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes (2024) Harmless enough time-waster. I didn’t mind it, even though it was lacking in any real substance to its plot. The CG is always amazing in these things as far as getting facial expressions on the apes, but the main character was a bit flat personality-wise. He has a ways to go before he can fill Caesar’s shoes, so to speak. I guess even apes have daddy issues, but if that’s all the writers can come up with from their Book of Easy Movie Tropes, I guess I should keep my expectations lower. I know they were trying to invent a bad race vs good race element between apes and humans, but it always comes down to the same inevitable conclusion; there are good and bad apples on each side. The motivation of the human lead seemed a little substandard; much ado just to boost one’s communications reception. That was already done in the second movie. But still, it was okay. 6/10.

Whisper of the Heart (2022) Not to be confused with the 1996 anime movie of the same name, this one is a live action sequel taking place ten years after the anime left off, following the characters and what happened next for them. It had some ups and downs, and I thought it was going to blow it, but ultimately it delivered and I liked it. 7/10

Freelance (2023) I thought this would be a toss-off action flick, but as such things go, it was pretty solid. Former special forces guy who hates his job goes freelance to protect a journalist in a hell-hole country. Nothing new there, but the nuances sold it. The characters were actually fun and, most importantly, not irritating, which is epic for a movie made these days. John Cena was fun, funny and likable. 6.5/10

The Watchers (2024) It was okay. M. Might Shyamalan’s daughter took to helm on this one, carrying on in the family tradition of the macabre with a twist. It had some mild surprises but most of all it was creepy, as intended. On that note it succeeded pretty well. In some ways it felt like ‘The Village’ (2004) but not as surprising. Still, it made me think and kept me guessing for a while, so I was reasonably entertained. 5.5/10.

Beverly Hills Cop: Axel F (2024) I was so looking forward to this, and it started off good, but it couldn’t maintain the momentum so, unfortunately, I give it a thumbs-down. Eddie Murphy seems like he still has his swagger and sense of fun, which is good to see, and he aged very well. (Spoilers ahead) But the movie dies with the introduction of his daughter, who is right out of the Hollywood playbook of, you guessed it, DADDY ISSUES! Seriously, she’s 32 years old, whatever the hang-ups are, get over them and get on with your life!!! You don’t need daddy to powder your butt and tuck you in anymore! I could have even gotten past a lot of her constant whining if she had any of her father’s sass and charisma, but no, she’s just a drab, boring complainer that drags the whole movie down every time she gets onscreen. Ultimately this was a joyless, overlong dirge and I came very close to falling asleep halfway through it. I think the best thing about this movie was a very short scene involving a very Beverly Hills-type real estate agent who really took her small role and ran with it. She was so funny and spontaneous. If they’d have cast someone like that to play the daughter’s role, we’d have had a very fun movie in keeping with the style and humor of the original series. Writers shouldn’t be so afraid of making fun characters. Lighten up, get over it, move on and grow the f*** up. 4/10.

@TheRockARooster You've got me beat with your selections lately!! 

• Brohoof 1
  • smile 1
  • Hugs 1

5 minutes ago, Dreambiscuit said:

Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes (2024) Harmless enough time-waster. I didn’t mind it, even though it was lacking in any real substance to its plot. The CG is always amazing in these things as far as getting facial expressions on the apes, but the main character was a bit flat personality-wise. He has a ways to go before he can fill Caesar’s shoes, so to speak. I guess even apes have daddy issues, but if that’s all the writers can come up with from their Book of Easy Movie Tropes, I guess I should keep my expectations lower. I know they were trying to invent a bad race vs good race element between apes and humans, but it always comes down to the same inevitable conclusion; there are good and bad apples on each side. The motivation of the human lead seemed a little substandard; much ado just to boost one’s communications reception. That was already done in the second movie. But still, it was okay. 6/10.

Whisper of the Heart (2022) Not to be confused with the 1996 anime movie of the same name, this one is a live action sequel taking place ten years after the anime left off, following the characters and what happened next for them. It had some ups and downs, and I thought it was going to blow it, but ultimately it delivered and I liked it. 7/10

Freelance (2023) I thought this would be a toss-off action flick, but as such things go, it was pretty solid. Former special forces guy who hates his job goes freelance to protect a journalist in a hell-hole country. Nothing new there, but the nuances sold it. The characters were actually fun and, most importantly, not irritating, which is epic for a movie made these days. John Cena was fun, funny and likable. 6.5/10

The Watchers (2024) It was okay. M. Might Shyamalan’s daughter took to helm on this one, carrying on in the family tradition of the macabre with a twist. It had some mild surprises but most of all it was creepy, as intended. On that note it succeeded pretty well. In some ways it felt like ‘The Village’ (2004) but not as surprising. Still, it made me think and kept me guessing for a while, so I was reasonably entertained. 5.5/10.

Beverly Hills Cop: Axel F (2024) I was so looking forward to this, and it started off good, but it couldn’t maintain the momentum so, unfortunately, I give it a thumbs-down. Eddie Murphy seems like he still has his swagger and sense of fun, which is good to see, and he aged very well. (Spoilers ahead) But the movie dies with the introduction of his daughter, who is right out of the Hollywood playbook of, you guessed it, DADDY ISSUES! Seriously, she’s 32 years old, whatever the hang-ups are, get over them and get on with your life!!! You don’t need daddy to powder your butt and tuck you in anymore! I could have even gotten past a lot of her constant whining if she had any of her father’s sass and charisma, but no, she’s just a drab, boring complainer that drags the whole movie down every time she gets onscreen. Ultimately this was a joyless, overlong dirge and I came very close to falling asleep halfway through it. I think the best thing about this movie was a very short scene involving a very Beverly Hills-type real estate agent who really took her small role and ran with it. She was so funny and spontaneous. If they’d have cast someone like that to play the daughter’s role, we’d have had a very fun movie in keeping with the style and humor of the original series. Writers shouldn’t be so afraid of making fun characters. Lighten up, get over it, move on and grow the f*** up. 4/10.

@TheRockARooster You've got me beat with your selections lately!! 

Thank you, Dreamy. :rarity:

You watch a lot of great movies as well.

• Brohoof 2
  • Hugs 1

sig by @Kyoshi

Signs (2022) One of M. Night Shyamalan's better movies, if not his best (in my opinion). A nice balance of creepy, scary, funny and engaging. Nicely written, acted and directed. 8/10.

The Shallows (2016) A well-made movie about a surfer girl who ends up facing-off against a deadly shark in a secluded bay. You'd think there's only so much that could be done with such a simple premise, but this movie delivers, with some clever thinking, good suspense and good direction. 6.5/10

The Imaginary (2024) An anime-style film about what happens to imaginary friends once they're forgotten (for one reason or another). It has good primary characters in the imaginary friend and the girl who imagines him. It also has a decent villain but the real star is his creepy little girl sidekick, damn she's nasty and awesome. Sadly, this movie isn't properly balanced out; it often takes too much time stretching out unnecessary matters and not enough on clarifying necessary plot points. So it drags a bit and lacks clarity. But the animation is nice (if not overly polished) and it has an interesting premise. 5/10.

• Brohoof 1
  • Hugs 1

I love Jaws The Shallows and Signs, Dreamy. :D

Such great taste in movies.

• Brohoof 1
  • smile 1

sig by @Kyoshi

Went to the cinema for the first time in well over a year, and I saw Longlegs. While it didn't quite live up to the incredible marketing (my favourite marketing for a horror film ever), it still was an engrossing, tense, and at times disturbing film. Extremely well acted too, with some legitimate nightmare fuel at parts. The ending was super abrupt and had a predictable aspect, but honestly, this is one that I am really excited to see again when it is available for purchase. 

• Brohoof 1
  • Excited 1

KyoshiFrostWolfSIG1.jpg.b0b2e3d0d15e6abf25982983986dcba1.jpg

Bad Boys: Ride or Die (2024) Not bad as these movies go. It was waaaaaay better than the last stinker they put out. This one had more of the vibe of the first two in the series; fun, funny and a good balance between the action and the character development. And is it just me or does Will Smith look just as young as he did in ID4? Dang, he has aged well! 6.5/10

Cast Away (2000) Not bad. It holds the attention well, even though it does get just a little drawn-out and talky toward the end. The survival aspects are interesting and it really makes you think about what you might do if stranded on an island for 1500 days. I didn’t like what they did with Wilson though, that’s just no good. 6/10

Network (1976) I never saw this movie until now, surprisingly. Okay, so it’s an interesting plot and funny in a pitch-black kind of way. It’s original in its premise but it does wheeze just a little bit because the writer Paddy Chayefsky, despite being an accomplished playwright, sometimes forgets that good writing isn’t just about what you say as knowing when to say it and when not to. A good writer and director know when to let the story breathe. Granted, he has some good dialog, in a crude, blunt and often inappropriate sort of way, but he has a few too many long speeches, especially toward the end, that sound great off the page but don’t really reflect reality in any meaningful way. I know it’s lauded as being terribly brilliant, but critics often prefer to hear themselves talk about it than actually listen to the words spoken in film. It was okay, but that’s all. 5/10

• Brohoof 1
  • Hugs 1

The last movie I watched was Godzilla v Mothra.

Mothra vs. Godzilla (1964) - IMDb

• Brohoof 1
  • Delighted Giggle 1

sig by @Kyoshi

Last movie I watched was Paprika. It was a couple of weeks ago.

• Brohoof 3

At first I rejected the zero, but that was because I simply didn't understand it. Now I do.

Gogol. The Beginning (2017).

I usually don't like horror movies because they're too boring for me, but this movie was very interesting and I really liked it. I can say that I am delighted with this film. I definitely need to watch the following parts of Gogol.

• Brohoof 1
  • smile 1

T-90.jpg.c09d40d696a92846d7036daccbfabe0c.jpg
                                                                                                                                                   T-90

The Winning Season (2009) A pretty fun movie about a washed up guy given the chance to coach a girls basketball team. He’s given a motley crew to work with, but considering he’s pretty ‘motley’ himself, they seem to work well together. (Spoilers ahead) There is one vital plot point in the final third of the movie in which the coach is fired, but the reasons are so vague it puts a major dent in the plot. Because he’s unable to coach his girls, and is kept away from the games by security as though he’s a terrorist or something, it costs them their well-earned victory, and all for what? If they’re going to follow the playbook entry of ‘insert unforeseen challenge to create tension here’ they should at least make it clear what the unforeseen challenge is supposed to be. I actually went back to see what I missed but I didn’t miss anything. It was really just as vague as it came off the first run-through. But I like Emma Roberts so I give this film a decent score of 6.5/10

Barbie in the 12 dancing Princesses (2006) This is one of the great early Barbie movies and as such, it really works. So here a widower king sends for his cousin to help him raise his 12 princess daughters in the ways of etiquette and ends up being a horrid taskmistress, all the while slowly poisoning the king in order to take over his kingdom. Happily the princesses discover a secret world where they can escape the scheming Duchess and peacefully dance. This is written by the dream team of Barbie writers, Cliff Ruby and Elana Lesser, who wrote all the best Barbie movies. I love this movie, just like all the Barbie animated classics. 10/10.

Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977) This was going through my mind lately so I watched it again. This time it was the ‘Director’s Cut’ which is the best of the three versions in my opinion. It has most of the footage intact but cuts the interior scenes of the alien spaceship at the end. I would still like to make a few tweaks for my own Ultimate Edition, but I lack the technical skills and equipment. 10/10.

Annie Hall (1977) This is a Woody Allen movie that I never really got into, but upon watching it with a fresh eye, I really enjoyed it. Woody Allen’s wit is as sharp as a tack. I would be so intimidated trying to have a conversation with this brilliant little cockroach but I do love to watch his movies. This one had the humor flying at a frantic pace and even though the subject matter wasn’t really great, I enjoyed the heck out of it. 7/10

• Brohoof 2
  • smile 1
  • Hugs 1

(edited)

Angel’s Egg. Much like the Vampire Hunter D movie, this has Yoshitaka Amano’s fingerprints all over it. Absolutely stunning art throughout, it’s a beautiful movie, it’s seriously worth watching just for that alone. I’m not even a big art guy but just watching this, I could tell I was looking at something special.

There’s hardly any dialogue, it reminds of Glass Harmonica in that regard. Same with the soundtrack and sound design to an extent. Angel’s Egg soundtrack and sound effects compliment it perfectly, like with Glass Harmonica.

The story and meaning of the movie is… very vague and open to interpretation. Although to me it seemed to have pretty strong religious undertones. Loss of faith, being forsaken, humanity being forgotten. Something along those lines.

This is also one of those movies where you start to realize just how influential it is after watching it. You start seeing references and very clear influences in other media. The biggest one that came to mind for Angel’s Egg was Dark Souls. Miyazaki absolutely had to have been influenced by Angel’s Egg when making Dark Souls and especially Dark Souls 3. The art style, the somewhat vague, weird, but intriguing world building and lore, both are set in failed and dying worlds, there’s just too many similarities between the two series for there to not have been any influence imo.

Overall it was an insanely unique movie, and is absolutely beautiful. I highly recommend it.

Edited by Iforgotmybrain
  • Brohoof 2
  • Thanks 1

1688011602589297.png.895617a26d9ad95396f01be743553b79.png