Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

help me with this big project

Je Woong Hwang

I'm trying to make realtime-strategy game. of ponies(yeah bit obvious)

I have my ideas... But since i'm 15(Who knows how to make programs lol)...

All I really made is a rhythm game prototype(which... was not cool)

I have no idea how to make games work..

Help fellows.

(fyi, what i really need is sm... No, how to find a best path by algorithm.-solved : A*

thanks for you small attention

(moved from other fan works)

*using Objective-C and Allegro Game Library

Edited by Je Woong Hwang

@Je Woong Hwang, can you please be more specific about what part of a game do you want to know the work process? I think I can answer.

I also have some questions, like what programming language do you use, engine, etc?

An RTS would be nice. I'm working on an RPG at the moment. I hope we can see each other's product soon. laugh.png

Edited by Sky Warden

I also have some questions, like what programming language do you use, engine, etc?

using Objective-C and Allegro Game Library(edited) and also, I'm using some headers from internet(like WELL random number generator)

And just started developing engine(worked on it like only 4 months.)

I'm planning this as a (Very) long-term project and this is my first time to talk about this in public.

using Objective-C and Allegro Game Library(edited) and also, I'm using some headers from internet(like WELL random number generator)

And just started developing engine(worked on it like only 4 months.)

I'm planning this as a (Very) long-term project and this is my first time to talk about this in public.

Well, then what kind of help do you need? At least give us information like game play, features, etc. An RTS can be played multi player, so you have to determine that as well.

Actually Hwang I've been wanting, trying, and failing to make a video game myself for quite some time. If you were willing I could help you design certain aspects of this game. Or maybe suggestions or advice. I duuno, I'm just good with code, so if you need me, give a holler.

Well, then what kind of help do you need? At least give us information like game play, features, etc. An RTS can be played multi player, so you have to determine that as well.

well, i need to learn winsocket for multiplayer support.... And, since my hand is jax(the three-fingered guy), I need someone to draw sprites(Guess that would be no problem)

oh, and thanks for such big attension

Actually Hwang I've been wanting, trying, and failing to make a video game myself for quite some time. If you were willing I could help you design certain aspects of this game. Or maybe suggestions or advice. I duuno, I'm just good with code, so if you need me, give a holler.

Can you give some site/documentation for socket programming? 

It would be a good help if you do give some advice and stuff.

Also, thanks for you attention.

well, i need to learn winsocket for multiplayer support.... And, since my hand is jax(the three-fingered guy), I need someone to draw sprites(Guess that would be no problem)

oh, and thanks for such big attension

No problem. I'm always interested in the game development side of the fandom.

First, I have no idea why do you use Objective-C for game programming. I don't think many people here use Mac, but that doesn't really matter actually. Language is just a tool. Stick with one you've mastered, but don't stop learning new languages.

For the sock programming tutorial, I don't know. Sorry, but I'm not experienced with Objective-C and I use Python most of the time. I've searched for some tutorials for you, and the best I could found are :

How to use sockets and socket stream

Setting up socket stream

Sorry but that's all I could find. Try to look for some networking modules if you can. In Python, I use Twisted.

Edited by Sky Warden

First, I have no idea why do you use Objective-C for game programming. I don't think many people here use Mac, but that doesn't really matter actually. Language is just a tool. Stick with one you've mastered, but don't stop learning new languages.   For the sock programming tutorial, I don't know. Sorry, but I'm not experienced with Objective-C and I use Python most of the time. I've searched for some tutorials for you, and the best I could found are :   How to use sockets and socket stream Setting up socket stream   Sorry but that's all I could find. Try to look for some networking modules if you can. In Python, I use Twisted.

Thanks for the reserch and small advice. I just did some quick research  and i found out that my library supports mac (yay!):D i don't need to repack yay! Need to install Mac virtual machine to compile, though. But that would be no problem d: 

Thanks for your help.

Thanks for the reserch and small advice. I just did some quick research  and i found out that my library supports mac (yay!)biggrin.png i don't need to repack yay! Need to install Mac virtual machine to compile, though. But that would be no problem d: 

Thanks for your help.

post-10241-0-50741200-1362570375.jpg

Wait. So you're working on PC?

Yes. I would like to know more about how you want to build the multi player feature. If you have any question, you can ask me. :)

Wait. So you're working on PC?

Yes. I would like to know more about how you want to build the multi player feature. If you have any question, you can ask me. smile.png

wait, were you thinking about linux? or other platform??? *confused*

-le me non-native english...don't use metaphor or anyting complicated for me d:

Well If your doing this for a project I suggest making a strict one player platform demo before actually trying to base a real game from it. But if determination gets the better of you msg me. I've made a few private servers in my day and know my way around coding. /) good luck

Can you give some site/documentation for socket programming? 

It would be a good help if you do give some advice and stuff.

Also, thanks for you attention.

Actually, I don't know much about socket. My expertise is in Java. Although, in my experience, you should ALWAYS read over a finished block of code. If you leave in a bug, the whole thing could explode. Also, pace yourself. I tend to start making obvious mistakes if I go to fast, so make sure you don't sit there too long.

I also noticed you needed help drawing sprites. I'm good at that too.

wait, were you thinking about linux? or other platform??? *confused*

-le me non-native english...don't use metaphor or anyting complicated for me d:

I thought, since you code with Objective-C, you're working on Mac, but you said you're going to run Mac in virtual machine, so I assume that your computer is Windows or Linux?

Well, I'm using Linux. Thought I'm still suggesting you to code in C++, C# or other languages (Python maybe) that can be used in other platforms. Not many people here use Mac.