Is Rainbow Dash really overrated

TheMarkz0ne

Yes and no, pretty much. Like every other mane 6 character, she has things to like about her and things to dislike about her. But, Fluttershy, Derpy, and Luna, are all just as overrated, if not more, in the fandom. I just wish she wasn't the most commonly found pony in the merchandise department, some love for Rarity and Applejack would be nice.

Considering that there are characters who's popularity makes no sense(like Luna, Trixie, every fucking BG pony in existence), her popularity is pretty tame. Besides, she's not even the most popular mane 6.

Yeah I'd have to say the Dashie hype train has crashed, more or less. I honestly haven't noticed any character being as overhyped as in the earlier seasons now, if anything the characters that weren't popular are starting to bloat up themselves (looking at you, AJ and Rarity). It's just the way these things work. Fads and hype work in a cycle.

• Brohoof 1

It's not that RD is overrated. It's that they made her too good. She seems to have less negatives and more positives than the other ponies (IMO anyway, haven't watched any of season 4 or most of season 3 yet).

Edited by Ryudo

It's not that RD is overrated. It's that they made her too good. She seems to have less negatives and more positives than the other ponies (IMO anyway, haven't watched any of season 4 or most of season 3 yet).

I disagree, if anything she has the most negatives out of the mane 6, probably tying with Rarity imo

• Brohoof 1

I disagree, if anything she has the most negatives out of the mane 6, probably tying with Rarity imo

She only has 2 negatives, that she's a bit cocky sometimes and she's not the brightest bulb in the bunch.  At least originally, there were at least 1 or more who had 3 or more negatives. Then again, now that I think about it, she can be irresponsible sometimes, so you may be right xD

Edited by Ryudo

I wouldn't think of Rainbow Dash as overrated in any way, shape or form. She is a well-written, believable character as much as anypony else on this show.

She was that kind of brash risk-taker back in Season 1 but even had repressed stage fright to balance that out ("Sonic Rainboom"). Despite the hard-nosed character she presents, she is willing to go out of her way to give a lift to those who need it most (Fluttershy in "Hurricane Fluttershy" and Scootaloo in "Sleepless in Ponyville", which I'd definitively say is better than "Magic Duel" in response to an earlier post because it had more substance), and has shown a genuine growth relating to her element in how she was willing to trade her lifelong dream for the safety of her friends and others ("Wonderbolts Academy").

In fact, "Wonderbolts Academy" is the reason why she got screwed on her key episode. If this concept had been known back in Season 3, this episode should have been postponed and made into a key episode.

Not to mention she appeals to those who love such "awesomeness" as the concept of a Pegasus that follows her world's equivalent to the Blue Angels, can break the sound barrier, control weather with ease, and create a mushroom cloud without a weapon and survive.

sonic-rainbomb_3222.PNG

Edited by WindChaserPegasus
  • Brohoof 3

I don't think Rainbow Dash is overrated, I don't think anypony is truly overrated, because there is a cacophony of MLP art and fan stories centred around all of them, including the mane six, cutie mark crusaders, Royal Pony Sisters, background ponies and ponysonas, as for Rainbow Dash she is an amazing character, we have seen her mature over the course of four seasons, naturally she has flaws same as the rest of the ponies, but that is why I have come to adore MLP, because the ponies have genuine personalities and appeal. Rainbow Dash has fans, and she has done a lot to earn fans, when I was in the navy, I new a few aviators, they were boastful yet the have a right to be proud, how many people have you met fly F/A 18s? Similarly, Rainbow Dash has things to be proud of, flying in brilliant aerobatics, sonic rainbooms, and her brave steadfast strength to be there for her friends and for Ponyville, plus she discovered her talent when she was a filly, when people these days mature at the rate of government bonds, so I am a loyal Rainbow Dash fan if you can see the good qualities of Rainbow, you can appreciate the company she keeps too, thus I have enough love for all the ponies of MLP - FiM.   

• Brohoof 1

It really depends on what you mean by "overrated". ^^"

I mean, she's really popular, but I don't think she's the best pony ever.

That goes to Twilight Sparkle, yo.

But hey, that's just my opinion. ^^

Nobody is overrated imo. If she's popular she had to have done something to become that way, and no matter how large or small that reason may be, there is a reason. Therefore overrated is an adjective that cannot truly be achieved, it is purely in the eye of the beholder.

Edited by DryColt84

She only has 2 negatives, that she's a bit cocky sometimes and she's not the brightest bulb in the bunch.  At least originally, there were at least 1 or more who had 3 or more negatives. Then again, now that I think about it, she can be irresponsible sometimes, so you may be right xD

A bit cocky? Her boastfulness and hyper-competitiveness are probably her most stand out personality traits.

• Brohoof 3

She isn't over rated!

She is awesome in some peoples opinion and in other ( the unenlightened ;) )people's opinion she isn't.

I personally love her to bits :wub:, even though I know she has faults, but that's just my opinion.

Yes yes yes. She is overrated and I can't stress this enough.

Even though the show itself may not show it enough.

The toys are absolutely horrifying. Every toy hasbro thought of if rainbowdash themed. Then mane 6 themed. And maybe twilight themed. Nopony else gets the toy spotlight.

Yes, RainbowDash is overrated.

When I ask others who their favorite pony is, the answer is RainbowDash 80% of the time.

When I ask non-bronies if they have a favorite pony, they say "The rainbow one".

People like her because she is fast, funny, athletic, and "cool". That's really it -_- 

Oh and because she is "20% cooler". 

No. Just no. That's just f*cking stupid.

RainbowDash is my most hated character out of any cartoon. She is so incredibly stuck-up, arrogant, mean-spirited, and stupid. 

Her head is so far up her own ass that she has aboslutley NO redeeming value to me.

• Brohoof 1

Yes, RainbowDash is overrated.

When I ask others who their favorite pony is, the answer is RainbowDash 80% of the time.

When I ask non-bronies if they have a favorite pony, they say "The rainbow one".

People like her because she is fast, funny, athletic, and "cool". That's really it -_-

Oh and because she is "20% cooler". 

No. Just no. That's just f*cking stupid.

RainbowDash is my most hated character out of any cartoon. She is so incredibly stuck-up, arrogant, mean-spirited, and stupid. 

Her head is so far up her own ass that she has aboslutley NO redeeming value to me.

Yep, because throwing away your dreams for your friends, saving numerous ponies' lives, trying to be respective of a sensitive pony's feelings, taking a filly under her wing, throwing away her chance at cider when her friend's livelihood is at stake, telling off a friend that was bullying to of her other friends, trying to help a tribe of buffalo who were wronged, telling a friend that no matter how well she performs they'll still love her, etc. are what I think of when a character has no redeeming value. 

WAKE UP! She's egotistical, cocky, insecure, and arrogant, but definitely not stuck-up. She's grown a lot in the past few seasons and has shown competence, courage, compassion, maturity, integrity, honesty, and loyalty. That's why people like and even love her character, there is more to her than "20% cooler." Is she perfect? FUCK NO! I'm not even saying that you have to like her, frankly I understand why one might not, but she definitely has redeeming values, and most certainly doesn't deserve the title you just gave her when characters like Annoying Orange, Post-Movie Patrick Star, Johnny Test, The Great Gazoo, Scrappy-Doo, Snarf, and many other god-awful animated characters exist.  :okiedokielokie:

Before anyone responds here is my list of favorites out of the Mane 6:

1. Rarity

2. Pinkie

3. AJ

4. Twilight

5. Fluttershy

6. RD

• Brohoof 1

Yep, because throwing away your dreams for your friends, saving numerous ponies' lives, trying to be respective of a sensitive pony's feelings, taking a filly under her wing, throwing away her chance at cider when her friend's livelihood is at stake, telling off a friend that was bullying to of her other friends, trying to help a tribe of buffalo who were wronged, telling a friend that no matter how well she performs they'll still love her, etc. are what I think of when a character has no redeeming value.

WAKE UP! She's egotistical, cocky, insecure, and arrogant, but definitely not stuck-up. She's grown a lot in the past few seasons and has shown competence, courage, compassion, maturity, integrity, honesty, and loyalty. That's why people like and even love her character, there is more to her than "20% cooler." Is she perfect? FUCK NO! I'm not even saying that you have to like her, frankly I understand why one might not, but she definitely has redeeming values, and most certainly doesn't deserve the title you just gave her when characters like Annoying Orange, Post-Movie Patrick Star, Johnny Test, The Great Gazoo, Scrappy-Doo, Snarf, and many other god-awful animated characters exist. :okiedokielokie:

Before anyone responds here is my list of favorites out of the Mane 6:

1. Rarity

2. Pinkie

3. AJ

4. Twilight

5. Fluttershy

6. RD

Rainbow Dash never truly "threw away her dreams", hun. She keeps trying to impress the WonderBolts and wants them to admit her into their group (Which is her dream).

Look at "Rainbow Falls", she had a moment, again, showing that she couldn't handle losing, so she was going to join the WonderBolts' team. She should have never had a second thought; she should have immediately said "No" to them.

She faked injuries just to avoid choosing. That is just low. Like, really low.

She'd rather fake injuries than join her best friends anyway and lose the competition. At least then she would have her dignity!

But no, she's too afraid of losing and embarrassing herself. She lets winning get in the way of her own common sense and her friends feelings.

Yes, FlutterShy did say that Rainbow can pick whatever team she wants. But even then, Rainbow SHOULD NOT HAVE TO THINK TWICE ABOUT THAT.

It was only until she found out that Soarin was lied to that she told the WonderBolts off. Rainbow should have told them "no" IN THE FIRST PLACE. She is a f*cking idiot. She obviously didn't learn from her mistakes.

RainbowDash saved some lives. WOW.

Any of the mane 6 would save ponies in danger -.- An example would be AppleJack saved Spike from the Timber Wolves or Maud saving Pinkie from the giant rock.

RainbowDash saving some ponies isn't anything special or to parade over.

RainbowDash said she's take Scootaloo under her wing, and yet we haven't seen any truth to that. In "Flight To The Finish", all Rainbow did was give her a pep talk. WOW. Like we haven't seen that before!!

Rainbow wasn't being loyal in either "Bats!" Or "Super Cider Squeezy 6,000". All she did was bitch and bitch and bitch about cider.

Yeah, she helped a little but that's not really loyalty. That's just well... helping.

Rainbow telling off Gilda wasn't exhibiting loyalty. She told her off because Gilda was being mean to PinkiePie.

Again, ANY of the mane 6 would have done the same exact thing.

RainbowDash helping the buffalo was just for the sake of the plot of the episode.

She was being biased without understanding the other end of the story.

I do not like RainbowDash. She has no redeeming value to me at all.

You don't need to get so offended, she's just a cartoon character, sweetie. She has no feelings.

If I don't like her then I don't like her.

RainbowDash is stuck up because she lets her pride get in her way almost all the time.

WAY more than AppleJack.

My opinion isn't going to change.

Sorry ;)

Edited by Samurott77

Rainbow Dash never truly "threw away her dreams", hun. She keeps trying to impress the WonderBolts and wants them to admit her into their group (Which is her dream).

I don't think that was his point. It's that she was willing to throw away her dreams for what she though was right, which takes a lot of integrity. Yeah, she stayed but that was after she called them out on their bullshit and they realized she was right.

Look at "Rainbow Falls", she had a moment, again, showing that she couldn't handle losing, so she was going to join the WonderBolts' team. She should have never had a second thought; she should have immediately said "No" to them.

The episode is chalk-full of bullshit, but I feel like you're attacking the character just for being flawed, and tbh, it was very similar to Rarity's situation in Sweet and Elite(only difference was that that episode had stronger writing)

She'd rather fake injuries than join her best friends anyway and lose the competition. At least then she would have her dignity!

But no, she's too afraid of losing and embarrassing herself. She lets winning get in the way of her own common sense and her friends feelings.

Yes, FlutterShy did say that Rainbow can pick whatever team she wants. But even then, Rainbow SHOULD NOT HAVE TO THINK TWICE ABOUT THAT.

It was only until she found out that Soarin was lied to that she told the WonderBolts off. Rainbow should have told them "no" IN THE FIRST PLACE. She is a f*cking idiot. She obviously didn't learn from her mistakes.

I don't think you realize how hard it'd be for a regular person to choose sides, especially when both sides are close to you(like choosing between family or friends), and in this case it was choosing between her friends and the ponies looked up to the most. And again the episode was pretty screwy anyway

Any of the mane 6 would save ponies in danger -.- An example would be AppleJack saved Spike from the Timber Wolves or Maud saving Pinkie from the giant rock.

Sure they all save lives but credit given where credit is due, they deserves praise for saving people now and then and RD is no different

RainbowDash said she's take Scootaloo under her wing, and yet we haven't seen any truth to that. In "Flight To The Finish", all Rainbow did was give her a pep talk. WOW. Like we haven't seen that before!!

Again, you're not giving her any credit, and honestly, even if it's not the biggest display of care in the show, I couldn't see RD from the first two seasons doing the same

Rainbow wasn't being loyal in either "Bats!" Or "Super Cider Squeezy 6,000". All she did was bitch and bitch and bitch about cider.

Yeah, she helped a little but that's not really loyalty. That's just well... helping.

She was pissed at AJ for never getting her cider, and she could've easily ditched her for that, but in the end she chose not to and that's all that really matters. As for Bats! she likes cider, but I don't see how that makes her any less loyal(besides I think we're thinking way too hard here)

Rainbow telling off Gilda wasn't exhibiting loyalty. She told her off because Gilda was being mean to PinkiePie.

Thing was that Gilda was a long time friend of hers, and she was hoping Gilda would get along with the rest of the 6, but instead chose to be a dick to them instead.

RainbowDash helping the buffalo was just for the sake of the plot of the episode.

What? She wants help the buffalo because she thought they got screwed over? Preposterous!

I'm not gonna say you have to like her, and you don't have to change your opinion, but you can at least be more reasonable, just saiyan. Credit given where credit is due

• Brohoof 6

I'm not gonna say you have to like her, and you don't have to change your opinion, but you can at least be more reasonable, just saiyan. Credit given where credit is due

Thank you Megas75, this is what I was trying to get across.

I do not like RainbowDash. She has no redeeming value to me at all.

You don't need to get so offended, she's just a cartoon character, sweetie. She has no feelings.

If I don't like her then I don't like her.

RainbowDash is stuck up because she lets her pride get in her way almost all the time.

WAY more than AppleJack.

My opinion isn't going to change.

Sorry ;)

I wasn't offended, :lol:  but I think you're twisting things out of proportion.  

Edited by DryColt84
  • Brohoof 1

She's just a pony that every brony falls in love with. I had Rainbow Fever at one point

It is a nice phenomenon to experience

saturday_night_pony_by_grievousfan-d6lqe

• Brohoof 4

Considering that there are characters who's popularity makes no sense(like Luna, Trixie, every fucking BG pony in existence), her popularity is pretty tame. Besides, she's not even the most popular mane 6.

I don't know, it is hard to say who is the most popular with Rainbow Dash, Twilight Sparkle and Fluttershy being in the top 3. Fluttershy did win that favorite pony poll on the Hub a while back but although her winning is plausible the ability to multi vote might have skewed it which makes me call its accuracy into question. Rainbow Dash's popularity is the most glaringly obvious though, I see her pretty much everywhere and her fans tend to be very vocal.

• Brohoof 2

HOW CAN ANYONE SAY THAT RAINBOW DASH IS OVERRATED??!?!?!?!?!

On a more serious note, I can see where people are coming from when they say that RD is overrated. Dashie has been my favorite pony ever since I got into the show back in early 2012 and nothing is going to change that fact :wub:

If anything, this "overrated-ness" can be said about literally any other character in the show. Fluttershy for example can be seen as overrated bcuz her cuteness and shy demeanor have worn off its appeal long ago already.

We all have our own reasons for having a favorite pony. Maybe they may seem overrated to others but to us, they all have a special place in our hearts.  

• Brohoof 1

She may be overrated in some cases in terms of popularity but that's mainly because she's more relateable to us in terms of how human she is and how she can be like us but actually back up to it while working towards it.

Overrated, I think, is really a huge stretch since the Mane 6 are all equal and nopony's trying to outshine the other.