Do you judge people by their avatar?

~Starlight~

I never fully judge them on their avatar, although it does give me an impression of what they're like...sometimes a false one though. But normally the impressions never put me off talking to them altogether (although someone with a nude selfie followed me on Tumblr which made me stay well away from viewing their blog at all :P ).

(edited)

If people judged by their avatars, I'm screwed.

That being said, yeah, some times. "Judge" May be to harsh a word, though.

By looking at Ghostie, for example, one can see he clearly likes Rarity. It's like wearing a shirt with your interests on them.

Edited by Dattebayo
  • Brohoof 1

I definitely judge people by their avatars! I form a general dislike of people with trolling or stupid avatars, and I've never gotten along with anybody who ahs a Dragonball Z avatar...I don't know if it's coincidence or a personality thing ;)

As for mine...I don't know what people assume about my by my avatar. It's Gilda, so I guess people think I'm a bit of a bitch? :P

But it's a cute picture of her so... *shrugs*

I chose Gilda as an avatar because I thought she looked cool, had a similar Hairstyle to me (Featherstyle? Uhh? :P) and in all honesty seemed like a total grumpy lesbian. SOOOOOO when I saw the cute picture of her, which seemed to remove all her bad elements and leave a kind of "Vi" from LoL type attitude, I decided I had to use it - even though I'm not like that. I just like that kinda look ;)

I don't really judge people by their avatars, but I usually take their avatars into mind when I'm thinking of how they would react or speak in a conversation. I guess I have to make a voice for them at times. ^^"

• Brohoof 1

I have this weird tendency to imagine the person's text being read by the character in the avatar so in a weird way, yes.

• Brohoof 1

I don't judge people by looking at the avatars, noo. I judge the avatars themselves.

"That's a cool avatar."

"What the..."

-in the case of seeing a dancing cat- "LOL."

After looking at the avatar, "I wonder what that person's like..." All this within five seconds. I then move on with life.  :D

• Brohoof 1

From looks, to the grammar of the avatar, this is what I look at. Bonus points if it's a custom avatar that actually looks good for the eyes (Color tone)

• Brohoof 1

Not really. An avatar is an avatar. UwU

I do judge some people by their style of writing, however.

• Brohoof 2

I usually don't, but for some reason it influences the mind-voice I read their posts with.

For example, people with the default forum avatars have a text to speech style voice...

• 5 weeks later...

I am one of the many people that does judge someone by their avatar. If your avatar is sinister then I generally think that you are also very dark and sinister. If your avatar is happy I think that you are a happy person.

It's just one of those things that I do. I can't help it. :P

Of course not! 

I am one of the many people that does judge someone by their avatar. If your avatar is sinister then I generally think that you are also very dark and sinister. If your avatar is happy I think that you are a happy person.

It's just one of those things that I do. I can't help it. :P

I forgive you. 

(edited)

If I was being completely honest... it depends. If the avatar is REALLY bad or - even worse - it is the default avatar that is given by the site... possibly. If your avatar is happy, than I usually tend to think of that person as a happy person, but if it is dark or sinister... well, pretty much what BlackThrone said. ^^; But I try to look past it and instead focus on getting to know the actual person. That is what truly matters! :)

Edited by Curly Swirl

I used to, but I stopped doing it because I got to the conclusion that it is useless and has no sense. A user is a user for the person he/she is and not the picture he/she picks as an avatar.

But Twilight Sparkle avatars are damn cute. :o

Sometimes yes.

But I don't really count it as "judging".
It is more like a tone to the overall post, message.

:)

I am my avatar.

But it is hard to type with having huge holes on my hooves.

:eww:

• Brohoof 2

I guess a bit. Like if someone has anime avatar, then I'll assume they like anime (or at least the certain one or certain character that's in that avatar).

I don't judge anyone for their avatar, however I often see their name and avatar as the person I'm talking to. It's a little weird to explain, but basically after I really get to know someone the avatar I see tends to become the thing I feel like I'm talking to. If they change it, nothing happens, because a lot of the time the avatar they change to is of a similar art style and bares a small resemblance to the previous one. Once I know someone for so long their username also begins to blend with the avatar, as if the avatar is the personality and name of the user I'm talking to.

That probably made little sense, but this is something that has always been true to me since the beginning. I don't know why.

• Brohoof 4

If it's custom with no references to canon characters elsewhere, then yes. At least for gender purposes.

Otherwise no. If it's a picture of Celestia, then the person could be anyone.