Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you judge people by their avatar?

~Starlight~

1 minute ago, Fluttershyfan94 said:

I try to be, like you are smiling pony UwU.

*Boops your snoot* of course I am for i am a blivy pony!~

(edited)

I think everyone does so yes but not necessarily in a bad way, avatars can sometimes be an insight into someones interests so can sometimes be of relevance in that regard but can also be misleading. I've known more than a few people who've mistakenly thought I was a girl based on my avatar choices though, some apparently even for thinking that for years, naturally I found it pretty funny when they realised the mistake given it wasn't a secret or anything had checked my profile :laugh:

Edited by Rainbow Cloud

Ahahah ! Well I don't judge people by their avatar but people's avatar do have an impact on how I interact with them ! I've always preferred to speak to people who have ponies as avatar, no matter if it's OC or characters from the show. I just speak to them more easily I don't know why :o
Maybe it's because I came here to speak pony with ponies :twi:
But I've never judged somebody because of their avatar, except their ability to draw for those who drew their OC themselves :laugh:

I mean it's just an avatar after all, it can be changed in seconds so why bother ? :LunaMCM:

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

Same goes as in real life, the appearance of a person kinda influences the first impression of said person

On the internet, that profile picture is your face.

For me personally, I sometimes make some basic assumptions on the person based on their avatars, like what possible fandom they're in, what their interests are.

Of course, it is not the most determining factor when judging a person, you wont be able to know one's full personality and story from a simple picture which is their pfp.

In conclusion, profile pictures or avatars act the same as your face in real life. They give someone a first impression about yourself before interacting further with you. But of course, the wise saying of not judging a book from its cover still applies when interacting with people on the internet.

• Brohoof 3

Not really, I mean mine is of a purple pony princess so it's not really my place to judge others by what they want ^_^

On 5/7/2020 at 8:30 AM, Le Trotteur Sauvage said:

I mean it's just an avatar after all, it can be changed in seconds so why bother ? :LunaMCM:

I can't believe it, after all you've said to me, after how long we've known each other, now your saying I'm not good enough for you? I literally can not believe it @Le Trotteur Sauvage! I'll have you know that this purple pony princess doesn't need you either! :glimmer::mlp_smug:

I'm just kidding Trotteur, now come over here and give your princess some belly rubs! :ticking:

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

No and I don't judge anypony because of their avatar, I only judge if they have at least similar interests to my own

Edited by StarrySkyDash
  • Brohoof 1

I generally assume that people choose a picture they like... and that's about it. Sometimes that's useful information and sometimes it's not.

No, that would be mean. Many people use them to compensate for something else. The flashier something usually is, the more there is to cover up about oneself. It reminds of one specific person, small, weak and ugly body. But huge imported car. I mean, that didn't dissuade his husband from cheating on her with attractive women. But sure, somewhere inside that loveless ego of hers, she felt at least a little bit of comfort. It was sad, because I could see this, and I was around ten years old. But the "adult" didn't wanna look in the mirror. For some reason, some patterns about the nature of avatars remind of this intrinsic quality about human nature. So small.

Kinda, I'd say the word "Judge" is a bit strong

Another persons profile picture just gives me the tiniest first impression, but that doesn't choose if i will engage in conversation with them or not

Depends. If we're talking about popular websites like YouTube, then yes, as you can often tell if they have very disgusting beliefs based on their profile picture, but if we're talking about a website like this, then no, as it seems unlikely that people like that would visit websites like these.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

Wait.. We're not supposed to judge people based on their Avatar..? :nom:

I don't judge on people's Avatar, no. Unless you like.. Have a pineapple on pizza one. :<

Edited by Yakamaru

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/1/2020 at 8:34 PM, King of Canterlot said:

Not really, I mean mine is of a purple pony princess so it's not really my place to judge others by what they want ^_^

I can't believe it, after all you've said to me, after how long we've known each other, now your saying I'm not good enough for you? I literally can not believe it @Le Trotteur Sauvage! I'll have you know that this purple pony princess doesn't need you either! :glimmer::mlp_smug:

I'm just kidding Trotteur, now come over here and give your princess some belly rubs! :ticking:

Try to catch me then sugar :orly: 

• 1 year later...

No, I don't. I don't like to judge people and even if would like to  how could I judge by just a picture someone set as their avatar. But a avatar can make me curious or not curious about a person.

• Brohoof 1