Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you judge people by their avatar?

~Starlight~

Yeah. It is after all a representation of you. Sort of like a face-to-name type thing. But I won't be rude or anything just because of your avatar and I don't really take your avatar into consideration, but yes, I will go 'this person seems...<adjective>.'

To be fair, I've also seen some of the least representative pictures. Members who post the nicest things could have a darker pic, and vice versa.

That'd be really weird if the avatar had more than one person or whatever in it. Like mine. But that does sound interesting. Do you imagine them speaking in a certain voice or...?

It depends on the tone of their comments, but most of the time it sounds kinda same-ish.

When the 0avatar has multiple characters, I usually imagine the most prominent one speaking (in your case, it would be that odd-looking Rainbow Dash thing).

It depends on the tone of their comments, but most of the time it sounds kinda same-ish.

When the 0avatar has multiple characters, I usually imagine the most prominent one speaking (in your case, it would be that odd-looking Rainbow Dash thing).

Jelly Jiggler? Heh that's quite cool. UuU. You'd be imagining one of my favorites from that show talking.
  • Brohoof 1

Not really. I will friend them if they have a fandom I share with them and sometimes I'm just impressed at it, but I don't judge on it. To be fair, I do prefer certain avatars as they are pleasing to the eye

On rare occasions, most often I do based upon the post(s).

I try to pick my avatar as if people do. I go back and forth between pony and Russian military avatars, I feel the like Russian Military ones can be a bit weird at times though.

I don't know if judge is the right word, but I just show an avatar of a pony wearing a burrito eating a burrito. I judge that to be freaking hilarious.

It's hard to form an opinion based on avatars, except that I get some of the users with Rarity avatars confused.  

I certainly judge people by their avatar. If it's a bathroom mirror selfie, I think they must be lazy because they can't be bothered to ask a friend to take a halfway decent photo. If it's something inappropriate, "adult", or otherwise in poor taste, my mind categorizes them as immature and childlike (in the bad way, sometimes childlike is a good thing).

• Brohoof 1

Yeahh, but nothing that'll make me outright hate someone comes from their avatar. Really, the worst an avatar can do to me is give me a headache. Won't make me hate you at all.

Like, I squee when I see another Rarity avatar, and I like seeing pony avatars more than anything else, but I get a bit irritated with anime avatars. That's really it, and, if you want the truth, the only way that'll affect how much I talk to a person would be if they're a fellow Rarity fan :D I guess a bias towards other members of our fanbase stems from the insane amount of best pony bias I have :wub: Other than that, the worst that can be done is slightly miff me.

ATTITUDE, on the other hand...

• Brohoof 5

(edited)

fdfdsa fd d asd adf  23r2r r2

Edited by plzremoveaccountfdfd

I tend to judge based on avatar, yes. Someone with a happier avatar I'll think to be a happier person while someone with a dark/bland/grim avatar I'll think to be less happy. 

But usually I just learn what pony they like or what they enjoy. Like "Oh, a pokemon fan!" Or "Anime character!" 

It depends on the avatar, cause if it's just a plain picture of a pony, there's not much to judge cause their personality could be anything. You can assume there's a higher probability that they will have a personality similar to that pony, but you can't assume that they will for sure because it's possible they have a completely different personality but just really like that pony. So in terms of judging people's personality traits, no, I wouldn't do that, but you can determine a bit about their interests, like for example, if it's a specific pony then you know they at least like that pony or if it's a particular show then you know they like that show. But that's not really "judging" the person, that's just observing that they probably have a certain interest. 

I'm curious to know what someone would judge about me based solely on my avatar, lol. I guess they could assume I think Sweetie Belle is awesome.

(edited)

I do think different for people with different avatars. I can guess if they're a girl, what they are like, and stuff from their avatar and how they talk. :3

Oh, and one person I know on Skype and a forum has different avatars for both. He said something on the forum, and it sounded weird, but if he said it on Skype it would sound normal. xD

Edited by Timetarveler

Sometimes. I usually expect people to 'roleplay' when they post if they have a furry/anime character. Not that I have anything against it or them.

(edited)

You kind of have to, a little - someone's avatar is way for them to say "here's my online face". But that can vary so wildly that you also can't let make a permanent impact on how you really see them. To me an avatar isn't a first impression, exactly, more like the first half of an impression. :D

Edited by Graveyard Duck

I do, but nothing negative. I tend to guess what character(s) they like, what shows or video games they enjoy, their sense of humor, their personality, etc based on what they have. I don't think about it too much, but it does cross my mind.

• Brohoof 1

I do it in a sense, but only to see someone's preferences and mood.

I can't really guess somebody's personality out of their avatars, tough (and frankly, i don't see how that works).

I don't Judge them, but rather think that the avatar portrays their personality. When someome changes their avatar it feels like their personality changed because of the different character in the avatar. If I know someone well enough that had the default avatar first, then it is easier to believe their personality. I feel like avatars give someone a sense of identity.

I only use an avatar to judge what they may like. Take my current avatar for example. Most people would assume I like Flutterdash, which is correct. Things like that are the only things I can really take from an avatar.

• Brohoof 1