Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Was Twilight suckered into being a princess

TheMarkz0ne

I believe she was. Celestia says it's her destiny. But who is Celestia to decide her fate? I mean all that should matter is that Twilight is happy with her friends. So why does Celestia force her into a hefty responsibility?

What you said was true, but Meghan McCarthy said that Twilight will still live in Ponyville with her friends. But true, being an alicorn takes a big responsiblity.

Yes i do agree. This was my main problem with Alicorn Twilight, While I'm not butt hurt about her transformation intro an Alicorn itself; It's really the fact she's forced into being a princess.

Doesn't she have the right to decline her princess-hood because I think making Twilight a princess so early in the series is a bad move. I would understand if Celestia admitted to wanting a succesor to her throne and making Twilight the ruler of Equestria but that didn't happen. She's just a princess because she's an alicorn.  

• Brohoof 1

I do agree with what you're saying. Celestia never really asked Twilight what she wanted, and so she was never given the choice. Whilst I'm not against Twilicorn, I do believe it should have happened later in the series. 

I'm not unsure if it's unfair or not yet. If this makes her excluded from other ponies because of all the bowing and scraping, then yes that is unfair. If nothing changed besides her getting wings then she wasn't really suckered (unless molting is really that bad...)

I agree and I think Twilight was forced  into doing this. That is kinda the problem I have with Twilight now, we never know what she wanted to do after her teachings with Celestia were done with. She may have wanted to do something else with her life. Now she has to be a princess.  

• Brohoof 1

I think it was more like when your boss has a stack of papers and problems at work and goes.

Celestia:"That it, I'm retiring! Your in charge now! Have fun!" 

Rarely anybody gets to choose their fate.Rather,fate chooses us.All we can do is simply prepare and be able to meet what comes,for better or for worse.Perhaps Celestia is setting things in motion because something bigger is going on faster than she realizes.Or maybe Celestia had the idea that Twilicorn Action Figures with Kung-Fu Grip would be an amazing way to cash in money and decided that Twilight should be a princess right away because holy cow,it has freakin' Kung-Fu Grip guys.

Woah,that actually gives me an idea.What if Celestia in this episode was supposed to represent Hasbro and how they forced Twilight to become an alicorn princess sooner rather than later just for the sake of sales?Like,the writers didn't want to be a part of the system or something and just decided to slip this coy nod in that they think Twilicorn is being forced too soon as well.I highly doubt that'd be the real reason why,but it would hilarious if it was.

Celestia was clearly training her up for some kind of important position. She doesn't need to study tomes of magical arcana if she's going to be Ponyville's librarian and hang out with her friends. If that was the case, she could've dropped out a long time ago. I always figured she was going to be some kind of top magical researcher who can unravel unknown enchantments and create amazing magical works. Of course, now that she has a golden hat, she can probably do that and be based in Ponyville.

(edited)

Though I haven't brought it up much because there are so many other issues I have with it that pose far more of a risk this still bugs me a bit. You would think with something this important Celestia would at least talk to her about it first, I don't think Twilight ever thought she would be a princess.

Edited by EarthbendingProdigy
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Wings and growing in height might be classified as body modifications. Celestia did just that without explaining what she was about to do and asking for a permission.

I know a lot of people are subjected to circumcision at young age. If you’re cut, would you wish you had your say on the matter? Have you ever regretted being cut? Would you let your children make this choice for themselves?

Another example is a tattoo. How would you feel if you discovered that you get a tattoo while you were drank/unconscious? The person had the best intentions in mind and just wanted to make a surprise and assumed that you’ll like.

While it's possible to reverse these body modifications, it's expensive, painful, risky and doesn't allays produce unsatisfactory results. Many people just accept unwanted circumcision rather than dwell on how it.

Edited by MadPointer

(edited)

In before people start wagging the 'but the transformation magic came from Twilight, not Celestia' crap.

For me, this represents the thing about MMC that I disliked the most. It really did seem like some secret set-up on Celestia's part. Regardless of how much people say Twilight deserves this role (and while I'm not entirely convinced of that, I'll leave that for the time being) I would rather that it was made clear that she was the master of her own destiny, not some quick fix half-a-spell gone wrong omg alicorn deal. I also agree with others that for such a significant change to Twilight, both physically and regarding her responsibilities, for Celestia to simply make the changes without any kind of warning strikes me as inconsiderate. It's basically the equivalent of my boss suddenly announcing that I'm now CEO. I wouldn't be honoured, I'd be insulted.

But whatever... Just gotta wait for season 4 and hope that every bit of worrying has been for nothing.

Edited by Ficta_Scriptor

(edited)

look at her initial reaction to when she becomes a princess.

she doesn't seem too happy. kinda like ".....a...princess?! *oh god, what have i done*

so maybe she doesn't want to be princess but doesn't say anything because she's afraid she'll disappoint her mentor and greatest role model, Celestia.

Edited by crazitaco

Well this is Celestia at her finest, she never gives people a choice, manipulates them into doing something and does nothing (or when she does she gets her ass kicked)

But i guess i cant blame her in this case, maybe Equestria will be better of with Twiligiht as the ruler rather then the King of Trolls derpy_emoticon2.png

(edited)

I believe she was. Celestia says it's her destiny. But who is Celestia to decide her fate? I mean all that should matter is that Twilight is happy with her friends. So why does Celestia force her into a hefty responsibility?

THAT--

...is a pretty good point that I completely agree with.

I have no problem with Twilight becoming an alicorn. At least right now. It represents everything she's learned over the past three years and could open the door for a lot of interesting stories. And while it'll be awhile before we know if this broke the series, as of now, I'm willing to give the writers the benefit of the doubt.

But the actual transformation was not handled as well as it could be, and it always felt kind of felt off to me, and it all boils down to the fact that Celestia seemed to have way too much control over this.

She knew that Twilight would become an alicorn, and when it would happen and under what circumstances. And if the writers decide to keep Faust's original vision completely intact, than that means Celestia has been planning this the moment she met her. That's incredibly creepy and unfair to Twilight. Not only does she not have a choice (which is weird in an episode all about the characters being unhappy because their destinies have been taken from their control) and not only does she not realize that her entire life since gaining her cutie mark has been sculpted and molded by the person she trusted the most, but it throws the legitimacy of the event into question. We all know that Twilight deserves to become an alicorn (if she wants to), but in any other context, it would appear that she only got this far because she knew the right people. And is Twilight the first pony Celstia has tried to turn into an alicorn, and if not, who else, and why did they fail to achieve that ascension?

Celestia is scary. Seriously.

Edited by CITRUS KING46
  • Brohoof 1

THAT--

...is a pretty good point that I completely agree with.

I have no problem with Twilight becoming an alicorn. At least right now. It represents everything she's learned over the past three years and could open the door for a lot of interesting stories. And while it'll be awhile before we know if this broke the series, as of now, I'm willing to give the writers the benefit of the doubt.

But the actual transformation was not handled as well as it could be, and it always felt kind of felt off to me, and it all boils down to the fact that Celestia seemed to have way too much control over this.

She knew that Twilight would become an alicorn, and when it would happen and under what circumstances. And if the writers decide to keep Faust's original vision completely intact, than that means Celestia has been planning this the moment she met her. That's incredibly creepy and unfair to Twilight. Not only does she not have a choice (which is weird in an episode all about the characters being unhappy because their destinies have been taken from their control) and not only does she not realize that her entire life since gaining her cutie mark has been sculpted and molded by the person she trusted the most, but it throws the legitimacy of the event into question. We all know that Twilight deserves to become an alicorn (if she wants to), but in any other context, it would appear that she only got this far because she knew the right people. And is Twilight the first pony Celstia has tried to turn into an alicorn, and if not, who else, and why did they fail to achieve that ascension?

Celestia is scary. Seriously.

It's no wonder the 'Celestia is a tyrant' idea gets used so much in fan fiction.

I'm not convinced by the whole Twilicorn thing, and there are certain things about it that still feel off to me, but I'm definitely going to give the writers a chance when season 4 rolls around. However, things have got me thinking, and I've got this horrible feeling that I'm going to lose touch with the show. Not so much because of Twilicorn and other changes, but... because the way I view the show has undergone a change.

To me, the beauty of MLP:FiM was being able to watch the show without putting any thought into it and being entertained by the cutesy little stories and crazy antics. It's a whimsical, charming show with likable characters. (Except for Rarity. Can't stand her) The thing is, recent goings on have led me to spend more time mulling over things within the show. Rather than just sitting back and watching stuff happen, I'm inclined to now analyse the show's contents at a much deeper level. And much like the popular but horrendously written anime .hack//SIGN, the deeper I delve the more problems I have, and the less I enjoy myself. Has anyone else felt this way? It can't just be me.

To me, a lot of people say that the episode in general was rushed and that may be true but the writers wanted to keep Faust's idea alive about making Twilight a princess which they planned for that to happen in the Magical Mystery Cure way before the episode aired. But it had to happen at some point because, Celestia knew that Twilight would be ready for a responsibility that can help her learn more along the way as a Princess. To be Celestia's successor, Celestia knew that Twilight would be able to do it as her destiny. It was intended to be like this, but my opinion after all.

Hey bronies,

I had an idea. What if Twilight didn't want to be a princess? She was kinda rushed into being one by Celestia. You see, she just arrived in a new Twilight Zonish place, and her mentor just poofed in and put wings on her without her permission. eems kinda unfair, we should have seen how Twilight wanted, and Celestia should have asked.

So do you guys think she wanted to become one? Tell me below.

/)

I don't know, I suppose she really was rushed into it wasn't she? Afterwards however, she did seem very grateful with the nice speach she gave and whatnot, so I think might have wanted to become a princess, or at least she's glad about it.

• Brohoof 1

Her reaction was of shock and fear at first, so I doubt she actually expected to be a princess herself. However, at the end of the episode, she appears to have come to terms with it and feels like the luckiest pony in the world. I doubt there's anyone in Equestria who doesn't want to be a princess though...

• Brohoof 2

Let's look at what princesses do. Celestia takes part in Summer Sun Celebration, The Running of the Leaves, the Best Young Flyer competition, Grand Galloping Gala, the wedding, official visit to Ponyville in Swarm of the Century. Luna takes part in Nightmare Night(Luna Eclipsed). Cadance oversees the Faire, welcomes the Equestria Games Inspector. They are all are the center of attention in the coronation.
Princesses in Equestria mostly do official visits and are treated as special quests of honor by folk, and I don't see them act as leaders so it appears that leadership isn't that important.

I don't think Twilight will be comfortable doing her royal duties. In "Best Night Ever" Twilight wanted to talk to Celestia about magic. Interestingly, this episode shows that Celestia is bored by these social events.

Her reaction was of shock and fear at first, so I doubt she actually expected to be a princess herself. However, at the end of the episode, she appears to have come to terms with it and feels like the luckiest pony in the world.

Take a listen at what Sibsy has to say about it at 36:30

I doubt there's anyone in Equestria who doesn't want to be a princess though...

I don't think everyone aspires to be a celebrity or a boss. I don't.
I rather be an expert and I feel like Twilight would like to be a wizard like Star Swirled The Bearded.
There is nothing wrong in wanting to wanting to be a princess but it shouldn't be expected that everyone has the same goal.

ada.png

• Brohoof 2

Let's look at what princesses do. Celestia takes part in Summer Sun Celebration, The Running of the Leaves, the Best Young Flyer competition, Grand Galloping Gala, the wedding, official visit to Ponyville in Swarm of the Century. Luna takes part in Nightmare Night(Luna Eclipsed). Cadance oversees the Faire, welcomes the Equestria Games Inspector. They are all are the center of attention in the coronation.

Princesses in Equestria mostly do official visits and are treated as special quests of honor by folk, and I don't see them act as leaders so it appears that leadership isn't that important.

I don't think Twilight will be comfortable doing her royal duties. In "Best Night Ever" Twilight wanted to talk to Celestia about magic. Interestingly, this episode shows that Celestia is bored by these social events.

Take a listen at what Sibsy has to say about it at 36:30

I don't think everyone aspires to be a celebrity or a boss. I don't.

I rather be an expert and I feel like Twilight would like to be a wizard like Star Swirled The Bearded.

There is nothing wrong in wanting to wanting to be a princess but it shouldn't be expected that everyone has the same goal.

img-1459890-1-ada.png

Pretty much agree with everything you said. The thing that gets me is that when looking at the potential 'destinies' of the other 5 ponies, things match up much better. Rarity is passionate about fashion, so she aspires to be a world-class fashion designer. Rainbow Dash is passionate about flying, so she aspires to be a member of a world-class flying team. Twilight is passionate about magic and reading, so she aspires to be... a princess? What?

I get that we don't know what being a princess means, but if all it means for the show is that Twilight lives the same life she did before except she has wings now, then that's not good enough IMO. Honestly, if Celestia gives some sort of talk about her title as 'princess' still making her equal to everyone else and still giving her the freedom to do whatever she wants then I'm going to face-hoof.

It irks me that the general response to anyone who dislikes the Twilicorn change is "OMG you're just a whiny man-child with such a simple brain that you can't handle the status quo being changed! BLEH!" It seems like upon joining the fandom you're obligated to love everything that the writers (in their infinite knowledge) throw at us, under the delusion that they're these flawless godly beings above us mortal peasants. Do people forget that this is just some kids' cartoon? We're allowed to dislike it. I swear, you'd get less flak if you stood up in church and pledged allegiance to Satan. Oh, and Equestria Girls is confirmed to be canon within the MLP universe, so I guess we'd better love that unconditionally as well.

Personally, if Twilight was instead ascended to being a member of a sect of high-level unicorns (which was actually a prediction I had after Twilight made the comment in 'Magic Duel') then I'd have been thrilled. They could have even introduced a student for Twilight to teach, and have her act as a kind of motherly figure. (I know some people say that she has this with Spike, but I don't see it that way) Twilight would be pursuing the things that she loves most, and the show would prove that it is indeed moving towards a certain goal. Now Twilight's a princess, what's her new goal? Supplanting Celestia, just like Faust planned? What would be even worse would be if Celestia suddenly said, "You have learned enough, now you can take the throne," and given Twilight ruling over Equestria.

I also agree with you about not everyone wanting to be a boss or celebrity. I know I don't. Twilight suddenly becoming a princess is kind of like my boss suddenly announcing that I'm now CEO of the company, and attributing it to 'destiny'. I wouldn't accept the offer. I'd flip the f*** out.

And now I'm breaking a Pinkie promise I made to myself to stay away from these forums and stop thinking about any of this. Oh well, back to fan fiction.

• Brohoof 2

Now, thats a very good point. *puts bubble pipe in mouth* She looked scared. All her life she's spent looking up to this alicorn who taught her, acknowledging that she, herself, could never become like her. In the season 2 finale, she looks at Princess Cadence and says something along the lines of "I'll never be like you/you're more important than me" (I can't remember the exact line).

So I think, in the end, she was surprised, and very ecstatic once all the shock started to fade.

I don't think that she did not want to be a princess, more that she never expected that she was able to be one. As Power of Dashie pointed out, she said herself that she wasn't special like Cadence, that she was just 'an ordinary unicorn'.

This is one of the many, many reasons to why I love the Twilicorn thing. She has achieved something that even Twilight herself did not think she could achieve. It puts a smile on my face when I think about it. :) I am nearly obsessed with the whole thing, but damnit, I don't care! :P I just love the whole thing.

• Brohoof 1

I think on some level she did want to succeed Celestia. But not out of lust for power, just a dream she probably thought she'd never attain. Then again, I ship Twilestia, so I'm torn.

• Brohoof 1