Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Was Twilight suckered into being a princess

TheMarkz0ne

She wasn't expecting to become a princess.  

At the end of the season 3 finale though she started to accept her new responsibilities willingly so maybe in some way she sort of wanted to be one I'm not really sure to be honest :)

In the season 2 finale, she looks at Princess Cadence and says something along the lines of "I'll never be like you/you're more important than me" (I can't remember the exact line).

I don't think that she did not want to be a princess, more that she never expected that she was able to be one. As Power of Dashie pointed out, she said herself that she wasn't special like Cadence, that she was just 'an ordinary unicorn'.

Actual transcript:

Young Twilight Sparkle: I am so lucky to have you as my foalsitter!
Young Cadance: I'm the one who's lucky, Twilight.
Young Twilight Sparkle: [scoffs] You're a princess. I'm just a regular old unicorn.
Young Cadance: You are anything but a regular old unicorn.

Twilight is very modest and doesn't think that she is special as can be seen in Boast Busters. But she has been special long before MMC despite being an "ordinary" unicorn. Having become an alicorn, she's no longer special because her talents are taken for granted.

As for accomplishments. Whatever she did in MMC wasn't as impressive as what she did before. We are expected to believe Celestia that this was an unprecedented achievement without any explanation. M.A. Larson was asked on Unicon about this new magic and he told that he doesn't know what it was supposed to do. Since the writers didn't though this trough, it appears that this achievement isn't so important story-wise.

As for accomplishments. Whatever she did in MMC wasn't as impressive as what she did before. We are expected to believe Celestia that this was an unprecedented achievement without any explanation. M.A. Larson was asked on Unicon about this new magic and he told that he doesn't know what it was supposed to do. Since the writers didn't though this trough, it appears that this achievement isn't so important story-wise.

So even the writers don't know what they're writing about? *Bashes face on desk*

You know, I really wish I could blame Hasbro for MMC. I really wish I could say "Yeah, it was just some marketing ploy that the writers had to shoehorn into the show." But then I hear that the writers had all this planned since November 2011, and I think, "Um... What?" Seriously, if they had all that time they could have easily come up with a better way to turn Twilight into a princess that didn't feel rushed, contrived, badly paced and lacking substance. It's like they were making this all up as they went along. "New magic? Yeah, that'll do for a botched explanation. Maybe something about destiny? I dunno, just run with it."

Honestly, there were so many ways Twilight could have ascended that would've been so much more satisfying. I've already detailed one of them in depth, but another would be a scenario where Celestia, Cadence and Luna get captured by a new villain, and Twilight has to step up and lead the kingdom in an effort to stop them. They get defeated, princesses go free, and Twilight earns a princess title for proving her worth in a time of immense crisis. A bit corny, but still.

Twilight's coronation was the biggest event in the series and in my opinion, they done goofed. In fact, looking over at all of season 3, they done goofed. And now Equestria Girls is coming, and it's canon...

If anyone wants me, I'll be downing a bottle of 'new magic'. No clue what it is, but I'm sure something will happen.

(PS. I know how it might look, but I'm not cyber stalking you. I only noticed that I was quoting 2 of your posts in the middle of writing this one XD)

Its an interesting question to ponder. I mean when you naturally look at the mane 6, the obvious one that stands out and could be the best overall princess is Twilight bar none. She fits the perfect mold of what a princess should be in my eyes. Twilight has the leadership quality in her, as well as the organizational quality. She also has the modesty factor which would make her well liked as she would prefer to be put on the same level as anypony else, despite her now newfound royalty. 

I do understand the arguments made here though, but I always had a kind of inner feeling while progressing through the series that this would happen eventually. Everything had slowly lead up to this. I remember Faust saying that in the end Twilight would become a princess. 

As for the question itself, I'm sure Twilight had some dreams and such about becoming a princess, but probably doesn't want to be looked up to as a figure of importance like that. Her modesty counteracts this, even though in the long run it might be of great use as a princess, and she still looks quite uncomfortable and a bit scared even at the end of MMC. 

We'll see what happens though.

I think we have different ideas about what princesses do. I base my understanding on what we see princesses do in the show(I showed examples above). I don't see them using their leadership and organizing skills as much being public figures. Can you give examples to back your vision of princess duties?

Speaking about the mane 6. Rarity would be the one who would be glad to be a princess. She knows how behave gracefully in high society, wants to be the center of attention. She was hoping to fall in love with the prince which could have made her a princess.

I relate to Twilight(we have a lot in common). This why I believe I can understand her better. By saying that she dreams about becoming a princess, you're indirectly implying what I'm dreaming about becoming a leader which isn't true for me. I prefer to be an expert in the field of my expertise, but occasionally I had to take leadership roles while the coordinator didn't have the time or motivation to do his job properly.

The same way Twilight wouldn't take leadership role unless no one else steps forward or the formal leader is incompetent(Mayer Mare in Winter Wrap Up).

On the one hand, I do agree that every girl at some time in their life has wanted to be a princess, even if it was not seriously. It isn't necessarily because we are all girly or like pretty things, it's because we all want to be seen as something different and special. The media today is just starting to get with the program that 1) not all princesses are the same and 2) being a princess isn't the only thing that makes you special. This mentality came from very old stories and fairy tales when being actual royalty was just about as much as an ordinary girl (who almost always lived in poverty) could dream of. Since Equestria is in a setting where royalty is very similarly viewed, I can see all girls wanting to be a princess at one point or at least until their cutie marks come and they know what they're supposed to do.

Also, if your teacher is a princess, you've had to aspire or at least wonder what it's like to be a princess. Twilight has a good temperament and is comfortable being a leader which are two big parts of being a princess. I think so long as she feels prepared and supported she will enjoy it.

On the other hand I don't think you can say it was her goal to be a princess, it was just her destiny. She didn't spend her time plotting for the throne even if she may have entertained the thought a few times in secret. At least that's my theory, we've never been told what she thinks.

About what the alicorns do in Equestria, I don't think it's fair to say we really know what they do, we don't see them in all episodes and when we do see them it isn't for long. It is not fair to judge a character when we know little about them. All we can say for sure is that all of the princesses are very active in the pony community and they all want their subjects to be happy. That seems like it would fit Twilight well. Children aren't interested in watching alicorns play politics or negotiate or go over financial issues in their kingdom, it is not something that is relevant to their lives at this point, and it's why the authors haven't included it. 

She's young, I sure as hell didn't know what I wanted at that age. It's one thing that makes her so relatable. So while she may not have been interested in doing anything but studying magic before, that can totally change. She could really love being a princess. I don't see any reason she would hate it, unless she was uninformed or lonely. 

I think we should establish what princesses actually do and which values they represent. Once we agreed on that, we can start discussing whether or not Twilight would like to be a princess.

I did my interpretation of princesshood in the post #4. I don't want Twilight to be this kind of princess because she wouldn't be comfortable with her royal duties.

You can suggest your own interpretation of princesses. You don't have to relay on the show this time. Maybe I'll like other types more.

I think its one of those things where she wasn't sure at first, but after a little time she started to appreciate it, it kinda shows towards the part with the speech and all, and her friends seemed happy, so i'm sure that reassured her.

I don't think she was sure about it at first, but I think later in the episode, and as time goes on she'll become more comfortable.

Well it felt rushed, and I am pretty sure she doesn't really want to deal with the responsibilities yet, even if she possibly can.

She became very shocked and worried when she heard about it and I think she sees it as cool, but she doesn't feel ready just yet.

@Zygen

I posted a video where Sibsy said "She's not super down with it".

Even if she becomes comfortable with this new role, it would mean that her characters has to change and people don't want this to happen.

I don't think she wanted to be a princess, it was pretty rushed anyway. She is known for handling responsibilities but, maybe she might be prepared to take on the new tasks/duties that a Princess must fulfill.

That's kinda where I have a problem with Twilight right now after MMC. We don't really know what Twilight wanted to do after she was done training with Celestia. She could have wanted to do something else with her magic, but now she is stuck being a princess. Still maybe she wanted this?

She only "thinks" what the writers want her to think. There isn't an objective or perfect version of any of the characters. My Twilight was surprised but now accepting her new role and will keep helping everypony. Your Twilight can be whatever you want, but the only true Twilight is the one we see on the show and even she is filtered by our minds.

That's kinda where I have a problem with Twilight right now after MMC. We don't really know what Twilight wanted to do after she was done training with Celestia. She could have wanted to do something else with her magic, but now she is stuck being a princess. Still maybe she wanted this?

"Princess" isn't something you do, it's something you are. It's a title, not an occupation. It's like saying that someone's "stuck" after gaining the title of Esquire. Twilight becoming a Princess is little more than a grandiose knighting.

• Brohoof 1

Personally I think the possibility didn't even cross her mind. That is why she was surprised. Twilight usually does not question Celestia's instructions but is eager to fulfill them. I also think that she will be tasked with learning all she can about leadership through the mane 6's adventures in addition to friendship. Trust me, difficult decisions come with leadership and lessons are learned from them. I am interested to see where this goes.

Besides, if Twilight did have a problem with it she would have either questioned or outright protested it like she did when Celestia brought Discord in to be reformed.

I don't expect to get my own pair of wings out of the blue but i'll admit it is fun to entertain the thought. Even if it did come with the string of making public speeches and royal visits.

Mmm...Yes. Most of the people that have posted are practically right or I agree with them. Twilight didn't seem very ''excited'' when Princess Celestia told her she had become a princess of Equestria. She also didn't seem very happy when she saw her wings. It is most likely because of her friendship withher best friends she has known for a while. Being princess is a very big responsibilty, and she will need to work and focus then see her friends. She will probably be called into Canterlot most of the time and that means, she won't be able to see her friends often. Twilight obviously doesn't want that, but I can tell a little part of her is proud that she was elected as a princess. Very few ponies get picked for that, and it's special to be a student of a queen. So, yes, Twilight was pretty downed when Princess Celestia told her she was a princess, but hey, didn't she work like..years now as a student of Princess Celestia? Neutral opinions here though guys. Don't take my words for it.

(edited)

I don't think everyone aspires to be a celebrity or a boss. I don't.

I rather be an expert and I feel like Twilight would like to be a wizard like Star Swirled The Bearded.

There is nothing wrong in wanting to wanting to be a princess but it shouldn't be expected that everyone has the same goal.

img-1459890-1-ada.png

I think that that picture should not be used anymore. Even Lauren Faust herself said it was an unfair comparison of statements that were used in different contexts. 

To answer the topic.

It really doesn't seem like Celestia forced Twilight into anything. Twilight initiated the process by completing Star Swirls spell. In doing so she fully applied her full knowledge of the magic of friendship and began her ascension. Really Celestia seems to be guiding a process that had already started. This is indicated by the theme of the song which is one of support and love. The whole point of the sequence is to show how far Twilight had come. Celestia guided her through her journey she did not dictate it, it seems the same for the transformation. Then you have the multiple times where Twilights cutie mark is shown. Its burned into the floor when Twilight completes the spell and it shown in the sky when Twilight returns to ponyville. There is also the fact that the magic that changed Twilight is the color of Twilights magic not Celestia's and that the magic came from within Twilight herself. Really all of this points to Twilight being the one who initiated the process. Celestia was just there to support and guide Twilight as she always had. I'm kinda getting confused as to why others are not seeing this. Its like all anyone focuses on is Celestia's movement, ignoring the theme and other visuals. 

Of course Twilight had no choice in the matter. Does any pony have a choice in getting a cutie mark? Really that's what the process kinda seemed like. Twilight became an alicorn because of an extreme realization and application of the magic of friendship. Just as a pony gains a cutie mark through the realization and application of ones talent. In other words both are a process of realization in which a physical change is seen in the pony. In Equestria it doesn't seem to be about what you want to do, but finding what your meant to do. That's the whole point of the Cutie Mark Crusaders, finding what they were meant to do. In The Show Stoppers it was shown that the girls were good at certain things but did not want to do those thing. Sweetiebelle is a good example, she expresses a talent for singing and writing songs. However she expressed distaste at the prospect of actually sing in front of ponies.

Edited by Anadu Kune
  • Brohoof 2

That would mean that Celestia tricked Twilight into using the spell, fully knowing what would happen. If it wasn't for Celestia direct influence, nothing would have happened by itself. The transformation was evidently initiated by Celestia when she started floating and radiating light. Why would they put this scene otherwise? The color of aura isn't as important at this point. It also should be noted that neither Celestia’s nor Twilight’s horn was glowing at the time, and Twilight looked confused.

Twilight had already realized and applied magic of friendship before in a more impressive ways. It’s also hard to believe that she understands friendship better than anypony else who lived during Celestia rule. We should have been seeing more alicorns. It breaks willing suspension of disbelief.

We already know CMC’s talent but they haven’t realized that yet. Their talents are so natural for them that they don’t consider them special. As for Twilight, it wasn't established that she was going to be transformed.

Unlike cutie marks, the concept of transformation to Alicorns wasn't properly integrated into canon. If this can happen, we should expect that everything is possible while previously it appeared that ponies didn't see their world as strange.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Snip

Snip

Since the subject matter for your two threads is quite similar, I have merged them together. TheMarkZ0ne's thread has seniority.

Edited by Full Spectrum
  • Brohoof 1

The way it as done in that episode, it sure felt like Celestia tricked Twlight into casting that spell so that she would fix all that mess and end up finishing the spell.

Honestly, I don't think that was the writer's intention. I also don't think that Twilight, of all ponies, a student of magic, would be stupid enough to cast a spell she didn't understand.

At the end of episode Celestia said: "Congratulations on your success, ponies. I definitely sense a big change in Discord. [to Twilight] I'll leave the Elements of Harmony with you, Twilight. Just in case." Why would she let Twilight keep such dangerous artifacts if Discord had been reformed? Unless Celestia knew what was going to happen when someone casts the spell.

Another thing. Let’s take a look at what the writers said about the Star Swirl’s spell at Unicon. What do you think of it?

Asker: I have two questions for M.A. Larson.
Asker: In the season 3 finale, what was the original intent of Star Swirl the bearded’ spell?
M.A. Larson: What’s the one one?
[snip]
M.A. Larson: ...As for the first part, I’m gonna take the Fifth and pass it over to my left
Meghan McCarthy: Oh, I can’t...
FinalDraft: You brought it upon yourself
Meghan McCarthy: I know.
Meghan McCarthy: Um. That’s a good question. I don’t know if we went into it knowing what he thought that the end result was he was sorta working... what he was working towards... Um... But.. Yeah...