Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What's your opinion on EqG so far?

MadPointer

Opinion on EqG  

159 users have voted

1. 1. What's your opinion on EqG so far?

• I love it
    • I like it so far
    • It looks cool
    • I'd like to see what they are going to do with it
    • I'm not interested
    • I withhold my judgement
    • I'm not sure about it
    • I don't like
    • I hate it
  2. 2. Has your opinion changed after watching the trailer?

• It's not as bad as I though it would.
    • It hasn't changed
    • It's worse than I expected

It so far doesnt seem that too good of a movie,i mean the show is a GREAT show,but the movie is just plain stupid,I'd rather watch the show than go see the movie.Sorry for all those who do like the new MLP movie :(

~MLPFan14

• Brohoof 1

Although I'm trying to give it a chance and everything, and being a brony is pretty much about being unjudgemental... I'm just going to complain for a moment.

TWILIGHT LOOKS LIKE A FREAKING PLUM.

FREAKING.

PLUM.

And let's not even mention that Spike is a dog guys. Seriously.

If Hasbro simply changed how they looked, I'd be so much more excited to see it.

IMHO, I'm perfectly fine with Equestria Girls.  All things considered, Hasbro isn't making MLP for grown men.  So with that in mind, I find it very interesting that they're willing to expand the brand of My Little Pony beyond ponies.  It's a calculated risk to be sure, and it's one Hasbro's willing to take.   Besides, from the looks of things "Friendship is Magic" isn't going anywhere anytime soon.  After all, it's still My Little Pony.

I still love my ponies, but I'm giving EQG a chance.

Having not seen it, I can't really judge too harshly,

but when it does come out, I doubt I will be rushing to the theater to see it.

I'm severely disappointed that the movie they make is a whole strange new concept of making the character's human...Like others have mentioned, if it was a full length movie about the Mane 6 and some amazingly epic adventure, I would certainly throw my money at the theaters to go see it. But even as a kid I HATED high school drama sort of cartoons/shows. It's so boring and cliched, and just plain annoying.

But perhaps they'll change it up. If they're smart, the boy would either be Shining Armor helping Twilight out, or another male pony that's more of a brotherly figure to her rather than a love interest. Twilight is certainly not the type to fall in love with a guy, and it would be completely out of character for her, I believe. It's one of the main reasons I love MLP: FiM, focus on romance is at a minimum (Mainly sticking with Rarity and Spike, which is a very adorable and believable relationship, Spike having a sort of puppy love for her while she doesn't really seem to realize his love for her, etc.). And speaking of which, poor Spike gets the shaft of being a dog...a purple...green...dog...

*cough* Anyway, the whole prom thing too doesn't sit well with me. I'm a lover of action/adventure. And what's so adventurous about trying to get a crown for a prom...boooooring...by the time the climactic moment comes, I'm sure I'd be snoring in the theater anyway.

So anyway, yeah, I'm not too excited about it, and I'm rather ticked. I'm sure if Lauren was in charge, she would've had a movie based on the Mane 6 as PONIES, not humans, and it would've been great :( Perhaps someday...T.T

Alright, here we go.

The first I heard of EqG, I thought it had something to do with actual ponies, and I love love loved it!

Then I found out about the humans, and I flat out hated it.

Then I watched the trailer, and I laughed and decided to give it a chance.

Then I sent the trailer to my friend along with the link to the wikia article, and we got into it, and now I'm back where I started:

I LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!

I can't wait to see it!

So, there you go.

• Brohoof 1

//My personal opinion: It won't be as bad as you think.

The same thing is happening here as with Alicorn Twilight. With Alicorn Twilight, people thought it would be such a horrible idea. Guess what? Hasbro released a great episode about her transformation, and bronies from then on thought on a general level, "This wasn't so bad. This gives MLP so many more opportunities to expand on their show!"

Although I don't know about expansion of their MLP:FiM series with Equestria Girls, I firmly believe that, just like Alicorn Twilight, it will not be as bad as a lot of bronies claim. Hasbro does good when it comes to giving viewers great content (although I'm sometimes questioning their copyright regulations. But hey... they must protect them.). And after seeing the trailer, I think it would be interesting to see how the ponies try to adapt to human life.

HOWEVER... I do hope this movie does not "suddenly go from kids to teens content". I hope Equestria girls will be appropriate for kids, just like the series. Otherwise, we may run into a few problems. I do agree though, that the mane 6 should be either teens or young adults as humans... because that's how they are in the show. But content wise, I hope kids can enjoy it just as much as teens and adults.

And let's not even mention that Spike is a dog guys. Seriously. If Hasbro simply changed how they looked, I'd be so much more excited to see it.

I hope Spike can at least talk as a dog. I'd hate to see him reduced to just being able to bark. That would be just horrible. Maybe he's one of those dogs who can only talk around Twilight as a talking dog would be weird. 

I can think of it now.......

Scenario One

Spike: Wow even as a human Rarity looks beautiful?

Rarity: Did your dog just talk?

Twilight: NO!

Spike: Uhhh Bark!

Scenario Two:

Twilight: Spike this world is so creepy.

Blue Haired guy: Uh Are you talking to your dog?

Twilight: Yeah,,,,,,,,,,

Blue Haired Guy: That's weird.

I think we can all agree that when there's a high school movie, it falls into a stereotypical fantasy instead of how real high school functions. I don't know what to think about this. 

As I've said before, I'll be waiting until Equestria Girls comes out and I'm able to see it and form an accurate opinion.  Once this happens, I'll be more than happy to give my thoughts on it.

I'm not so sure about it.....I'm worried it would mean the end of the show. Which is a great show, I really don't want this movie to end the series. All because Twilight decides to stay in the other dimension.

I don't really know how to judge something that I haven't seen yet. I'll go out on a speculation from the trailer, and say that they know what they are doing with the movie. We just have to see the movie to know for sure.

When I first saw it, my initial reaction was along the lines of "...Really? Why? Why change something that has done so, so well?"

Then I thought to myself... "Hang on, five years ago I would never have entertained the idea of giving My Little Pony a chance, and now I'm absolutely hooked!" So I thought it only fair to withhold judgement until I saw more.

As more images and trailers were released, my scepticism began to vanish. After seeing that second trailer and the leaked images, I can now say that I am genuinely excited for this. Really, really looking forward to it!

When I first saw the intro I immediately thought, "If there is an alternate of everyone else, why is there no Alternate-Twilight?" then I mulled it over a second and though that the main villain might actually be Alternate-Twilight.

For a brief moment I thought that we would actually get to see what Twilight would be like without her friends and that the plot would have, you know, depth and be about the power of friendship where Good-Twilight has to save Angry-Twilight from herself by teaching her about that whole friendship thing which has been the theme of the series.

Stupid me! Actual story in a production where Hasbro executives where involved? What was I thinking?!

No, it's a multi-million dollar commercial to sell little girls a new toy with the worst, most shallow script possible including a villain that was so poorly developed she was banned from the show by the shows creators recycled into a new "Evil Alicorn."

So the movie isn't even out yet and I'm disappointed in it. I'm just going to wait till it's on youtube. No reason to spend a lot of money on a hour long commercial.

Snip

Your thread has been merged with one that discusses opinions on the Equestria Girls movie, since I didn't feel that your post contained enough content to warrant an entire thread.

Initially I was rather skeptical of Equestria Girls, but after watching the second trailer and hearing Tara Strong endorse it at a Panel discussion I'm actually feeling fairly excited for it. :D Its still the same Production Team and Voice Cast so I trust whatever they do with it (regardless of personal taste) will be at the very least enjoyable. :) 

(edited)
When I first saw the intro I immediately thought, "If there is an alternate of everyone else, why is there no Alternate-Twilight?" then I mulled it over a second and though that the main villain might actually be Alternate-Twilight.

For a brief moment I thought that we would actually get to see what Twilight would be like without her friends and that the plot would have, you know, depth and be about the power of friendship where Good-Twilight has to save Angry-Twilight from herself by teaching her about that whole friendship thing which has been the theme of the series.

img-1545545-1-Something_New_For_You_To_B

Stupid me! Actual story in a production where Hasbro executives where involved? What was I thinking?!

No, it's a multi-million dollar commercial to sell little girls a new toy with the worst, most shallow script possible including a villain that was so poorly developed she was banned from the show by the shows creators recycled into a new "Evil Alicorn." or possibly even just a evil unicorn. 

Let me tell you what is going to happen if you go see the movie. You are going to go, you are going to watch it, you'll be impressed with the animation and the music and then you'll walk out of the theater thinking, "Meh, it wasn't as bad as I expected. " and Hasbro will have your money.

Hasbro will see that people who watch the show like simple plots about shallow, poorly developed characters and they will make more.

By giving them your money, you are telling them that vapid stupidity is what you want. 

From Hasbro:
“Learn all about the magical parallel universe with high schools instead of castles, where six pony friends become real girls with a love for fun and fashion.

This is what they think you want. Shows about girls playing dress-up. If you want even a hint of character that made the show great in the first place you will not reinforce this idea with your money. 

If you do, when season 4 comes out you will spend months of your life complaining because the new new villain is horrible, boring, shallow, and the plots on the show are even more stereo typically overly girly than ever before and it will be your own fault. 

Don't shoot yourselves in the foot by going to see this movie. Make Hasbro realize that they need to do better. 

Edited by Plowplot
  • Brohoof 1

Initially I was rather skeptical of Equestria Girls, but after watching the second trailer and hearing Tara Strong endorse it at a Panel discussion I'm actually feeling fairly excited for it. biggrin.png Its still the same Production Team and Voice Cast so I trust whatever they do with it (regardless of personal taste) will be at the very least enjoyable. smile.png

It's her job to endorse it. If she didn't she could be fired. That's like asking Bill Gates if you should buy a Macintosh or a PC. Of course she is going to say it's good. 

I respect your opinion but I don't think this is what Hasbro is trying to do. I think they say that we are getting bored with seasons one through three and they are releasing Equestria Girls as a filler. You have not seen the movie yet, you don't know if it will be good or bad yet. I dreaded to watch A Canterlot Wedding but ended up very mucch liking it because of the war, not wedding. It may look bad but until it comes out, people should stop the negativity towards it.

(edited)

Well, you do have a point. I was thinkin on waiting when its on Redbox or something. I don't know if they'd abuse the adult fans by making Season 4 more sterotypical and poorly charactered, but if so many adult bronies watch it, it just might backfire. I think they'd know bronies are seeing it in suport of the show and are expecting something great like the show, not going to see it for the plot. Hasbro does need to do better, on terms of EQG plot but at least its written by Megham McCartney, so it might not be so bad, perhaps better than we''d expect for such a plot.

Edited by Mikahlee

It's her job to endorse it. If she didn't she could be fired. That's like asking Bill Gates if you should buy a Macintosh or a PC. Of course she is going to say it's good. 

Very true, it is her job but I have a feeling that Tara Strong is the kind of woman who does what Tara Strong wants. At the end of the day she's a Brony too, one of us, so I have confidence that she wouldn't speak highly of something she didn't believe in. :) 

"I don't want to see this movie, and you shouldn't because it's against my opinion!"

Who cares if it is for money. Hasbro is a company that makes money off of kids. Hasbro is a CHILDREN'S production agency. Not a lapdog for bronies. If you don't like it, tough. Little girls will. They're not out to make you happy.

• Brohoof 9

(edited)

I respect your opinion but I don't think this is what Hasbro is trying to do. I think they say that we are getting bored with seasons one through three and they are releasing Equestria Girls as a filler. You have not seen the movie yet, you don't know if it will be good or bad yet. I dreaded to watch A Canterlot Wedding but ended up very mucch liking it because of the war, not wedding. It may look bad but until it comes out, people should stop the negativity towards it.

They have already said what the plot is. One of Princess Celestia's former students steals Twilight's crown and during the chase it, and there for she, has to go into the human world to escape. In the human world the crown somehow gets mistaking for the home coming crown and it becomes a POPULARITY CONTEST to win the crown which will allow either the villain or Twilight to return home. 

Literally, that is what the movie is about. It's teaching little girls the importance of being popular. It's teaching little girls that they can go on adventures and have imagination when they are young but when they go to high school they must conform, be popular and always fashion conscious.  

It's a load of social conditioning bull-crap. 

I don't need to see the movie to know that it will be a really well produced, hot, steaming, pony-pie.  

"I don't want to see this movie, and you shouldn't because it's against my opinion!"

Who cares if it is for money. Hasbro is a company that makes money off of kids. Hasbro is a CHILDREN'S production agency. Not a lapdog for bronies. If you don't like it, tough. Little girls will. They're not out to make you happy.

As someone who has a child, which is how I got into this fandom in the first place, I am appalled by this movie. My dislike of this film has nothing to do with being a brony and everything to do with the fact it is a horrible thing to expose your little girl to. 

Season one and two, I really liked because it taught girls that it was OK to be different kinds of girls. It was a good, wholesome message. Different is OK. 

Now it's just another Bratz and if they keep this crap up I'm going to be put in the position of saying my family won't be watching it any more. 

Edited by Plowplot

You know, I will tell you if I agree with your opinion after I see the movie. Then if you're right, your right. I just want to see some more MLP stuff. The only reason I will flat out hate the movie, is if Twilight and Cadance don't do their little dance when they meet.

I am just not interested in the movie. I would be cool with it if it was some kind of adventure (of the fantasy kind). Hell, the comics Return of Queen story would have been a good movie!

Instead we have a bunch of young adults, turned into young teenagers, going through bland high school bollocks.

The idea of the movie is just too stupid for me to give it a fair chance.

If the little girls like it, fair play to them. But I really don't get Hasbro's logic.

Your main problem here is that you assume the movie is going to have a shallow plot.

Wait... isn't that the same thing everyone thought about "A Canterlot Wedding"?

And - I want Hasbro to have my money. It's called supporting the franchise you love. :)

• Brohoof 7