Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What's your opinion on EqG so far?

MadPointer

Opinion on EqG  

159 users have voted

1. 1. What's your opinion on EqG so far?

• I love it
    • I like it so far
    • It looks cool
    • I'd like to see what they are going to do with it
    • I'm not interested
    • I withhold my judgement
    • I'm not sure about it
    • I don't like
    • I hate it
  2. 2. Has your opinion changed after watching the trailer?

• It's not as bad as I though it would.
    • It hasn't changed
    • It's worse than I expected

My opinion? *Throws up*

Not really. My reaction is more this:

img-1460938-1-soniamdisappoint.jpg

Thank you, rarity.

1. The animation is sub-par. Clearly done on a budget, and rushed, the animation is relatable to most other shows on Nickelodeon. Compared to MLP, it is pathetic.

2. There is little graphical appeal. Lauren Faust put tons of time into making the ponies look cute and adorable. The EQ Girls look... weird. Their cheekbones extend too far, the legs are reminiscent of barbie dolls (way too long), the shoes, even the tennis shoes, look like knee high mud boots.

3. The plot line looks to be similar to most high school chick flicks, with a tad of emphasis on friendship, a villain, and some girl with lava-colored hair. So basically Kim Possible.

4. Rainbow dash toe kicked that soccer ball. No, she is no athlete  You don't do that. Plus, the soccer ball spun in a way that it would have if it was correctly kicked, not toe kicked. 

5. Spike is a dog. What.

6. They go into the human world, and no one looks normal. Weird colored hair? Makes sense, with hair dye, and the fact that this is high school, but the skin? ._.

I know I have to wait until it comes out to know, but I'm not wasting money on it, I'm not hiding my breath, and I certainly do not have High Expectations.

The animation looks that way because MLP is made in Adobe Flash, and animation movies like that don't even use Adobe Flash.

In fact, they don't use a computer at all, except Pixar.

I'll probably be going to see this in theatres. Gather up my Brony friends and just chill in there, if it sucks then it sucks. If it rocks, then it rocks. Only one way to find out:P run into the theatre screaming, "LEROOOOOY JJJJJENKIIIIINSSSS!!!!"

I was sceptical at first, but after I watched the trailer, I thought that it actually looked quite good. I'll probably watch it when it comes out, because from what I gathered from the trailer it might be pretty good!

Well on the plus side Meghan McCarthy is doing the writing and she did good episodes like Dragonshy A Canterlot Wedding and The Crystal Empire. Dainel Ingram is doing the music plus the original voice cast is there. With all these I think Equestria Girls will at least be tolerable but there's still a few things that bug me from watching the trailer.

I don't mind the human designs. I think they could have been better because it looks like it takes place in that 90's cartoon Doug.

One: Why isn't Twilight's pony friends going with her? Is there a plot device that keeps them from going? I doubt it because in the trailer you can see Spike going with her for some reason. Why he's a dog is beyond my reasoning but it wasn't a good move.

I'm not a fan of the high school theme and the possible love interest for Twilight but remember it is Meghan who is writing and I know she knows better than to make stuff like this so stereotypical. Looking back at Canterlot Wedding I think some fans thought it would suck but surprisingly it was dark, humorous and awesome.

Possibly she will be doing the same thing in EQG so don't pack your bags and leave the fandom just yet. I'm still somewhat neutral on the movie but I will give it a chance.

The animation looks that way because MLP is made in Adobe Flash, and animation movies like that don't even use Adobe Flash.

In fact, they don't use a computer at all, except Pixar.

Dude, everything uses a computer now. Literally everything. It's easier. They're not going to use outdated techniques that take longer. They even use computers in making coffee at starbucks.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I'm willing to give it a chance, and think this could be good, but this whole thing is seriously.......just........odd. I mean, we go from a tv show about talking young adult ponies in a magical fantasy world learning valuable life lessons, to......a human high school setting? What? I just.....it's just kinda jarring, it doesn't seem like a logical direction for a spin-off, it feels so out of place. I mean, it can work, I think it can definitely work, it can still be about life lessons, but......the setting change is just so....odd. Basically I just don't feel like this makes sense as a spin-off, at all. It's just so out of nowhere......it seriously reeks of hasbro wanting new toys to sell, and not something the writers would have done without their influence.

And finally, I hope to the same that we're wrong and Twilight doesn't have a crush on this "Soarin' guy". Because she has to return to Equestria and leave him. I don't want to see THIS drama because Twilight is a pony and that guy is not a pony.It is something Twilight NEVER saw before and thus should not be hammered into having romantic feelings for him.

Why is that a reason to do do the romance thing? Other than the potential angry letters to hasbro accusing them of being pro-beastiality or something idiotic like that.

Honestly, I never thought I'd say this, but after seeing the trailer, it's somewhat piqued my curiosity.  It sort of fixed three of the issues I had with the character designs- the cutie marks on the cheek and the wings aren't there, and the skin color issue has been addressed by giving everyone weird skin colors (reminded me a little of the show Doug in that sense). 

They could have just made them whatever races they wanted, and not have cared what people thought about it. I can see people saying it'd be racist to have them like, all or mostly be one race, but how is that racist? Like, at all? I'd prefer they have normal human skin colors than look like weirdly colored people.

Edited by Mr. Jaguar

It's not as bad as i thought it would be. It just reminds me a little of winx club, and the characterss look better then they did it first.

And since it's wirtten by Megan McCarthy, i have high hopes for the movie.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I don't think I'll like it for a few reasons, but the funny thing is, now I really want it to be good so that all the people who HAAAAATE it will shut up.

Edited by IronPonyApplejack

1. The animation is sub-par. Clearly done on a budget, and rushed, the animation is relatable to most other shows on Nickelodeon. Compared to MLP, it is pathetic.

2. There is little graphical appeal. Lauren Faust put tons of time into making the ponies look cute and adorable. The EQ Girls look... weird. Their cheekbones extend too far, the legs are reminiscent of barbie dolls (way too long), the shoes, even the tennis shoes, look like knee high mud boots.

3. The plot line looks to be similar to most high school chick flicks, with a tad of emphasis on friendship, a villain, and some girl with lava-colored hair. So basically Kim Possible.

4. Rainbow dash toe kicked that soccer ball. No, she is no athlete  You don't do that. Plus, the soccer ball spun in a way that it would have if it was correctly kicked, not toe kicked. 

5. Spike is a dog. What.

6. They go into the human world, and no one looks normal. Weird colored hair? Makes sense, with hair dye, and the fact that this is high school, but the skin? ._.

I know I have to wait until it comes out to know, but I'm not wasting money on it, I'm not hiding my breath, and I certainly do not have High Expectations.

I'm just gonna nitpick a bit here:

1. Not really. It's about as fluid as FiM is- not quite, but I'm suspecting that is more due to not being as used to this style as the show's than anything.

4. Wrist kick, not toe. Rewatch the trailer, because that is not a toe kick. I'm a former soccer player myself, and I can see the difference. It's not a perfectly animated wrist kick(her foot should angle a lot more), but it's passable.

6. Gives a bit more flair. In my poinion. Heh.

before  the trailer i was 100% against the idea of EG. i didnt want to hear anything about it. but i kept on hoping for a trailer of some kind or footage. when i found out that it was going to be in theaters i went crazy. at first i thought it was a joke EQD was playing on us. then i checked my local coming soon list and sure enough it was there. when i saw the trailer everything changed. it does look interesting and im willing to give it a chance, just like the whole Princess Twilight / Alicorn business. we paniced before we even saw it. but once we did we were cool about it. i belive the same will happen here.

Though I'm curious as to why the Crystal Empire again... Why not Canterlot?

That's actually an interesting question. It could have been just as easily a mirror in the basement of Canterlot. In fact if this tiara that is stolen is the Element of Magic, it would have been *easier* plot-wise if the mirror was in Canterlot. But it isn't, so there had to be a reason the writers put the mirror in the Crystal Empire, something they wanted to spend time on in the movie.

Interesting...

That's actually an interesting question. It could have been just as easily a mirror in the basement of Canterlot. In fact if this tiara that is stolen is the Element of Magic, it would have been *easier* plot-wise if the mirror was in Canterlot. But it isn't, so there had to be a reason the writers put the mirror in the Crystal Empire, something they wanted to spend time on in the movie.   Interesting...

The stolen tiara isn't the Element of Magic. It was another tiara which was worn by Twilicorn only during the coronation ceremony.

(edited)

The stolen tiara isn't the Element of Magic. It was another tiara which was worn by Twilicorn only during the coronation ceremony.

Still would be easier story-wise for the writers to have the thief run to Canterlot, rather than the Crystal Empire.

The only thing I'm coming up with is that it's in Hasbro's list of requirements, that the Crystal Empire is mentioned somewhere. Or the writers wanted to include Cadance and/or Shining Armor cameos for some reason.

Providing that this is even supposed to fit into current continuity, even if it isn't canonical.

EDIT: I just checked. The tiara Twilight is crowned with at the end of in the Magical Mystery Cure episode looks the same as the Element of Magic as shown at the beginning of the episode, and is the same tiara thrown around at the end of the EqG trailer. Unless there are two tiaras that have the same filigree and purple star center gem, we're all dealing with the same one.

Edited by Fhaolan

After examining what I had found and recuperating from the initial disbelief that Hasbro suddenly made a wierd out move about the MLP series, I have come to the conclusion, albeit just my opinion, that Equestria Girls goes mostly against what Lauren Faust envisioned when she introduced her vision with Friendship is Magic.

How so you may ask?  After all, EG still has the message of friendship with female characters being the front heroes instead of a male protagonist, and hey, they are the same characters but human shaped!  Nothing wrong with that.

Well, no, there are many things wrong with this.

While the theme of friendship is clearly what Hasbro has used to concieve this movie, it has set it to a Demographic I believe even bronies (the fanbase around MLP nowadays) could be in favor of.  Now I know many are teenagers, and most of course, female students that go to High School, since this is the setting Twilight Sparkle will be facing in a new world and a new form.  However, whereas Friendship is Magic shown us in a marvelous ways the antics, references, and of course, the magic of being someone's friend via a herd of colorful cute ponies, Equestria Girls would have to remind you of the awful times you had in High School aimed mostly at teens rather than anyone else of varied ages.  You could say that you may relate more to a pony version of Twilight Sparkle who is also been stated as a fully grown adult with her own home and proffesion takling said issues than a human version being a teenaged kid in High School and said problems to be talking are if she will have a date for a dance (said dance being shown in the trailer, with a humanized Vinyl Scratch at he turntable and the CMC dancing along).

Also, I must say that such representation of this is a blatant sterotypical way on how movie companies see the life of a student during their High School years.  When I was arund that age and spent four of my worst years of my life at such school, not being popular was the least of my worries, in fact, not having the grades to pass a class was also the least of my concerns when I had to face bullying not only from other students, but also from teachers who knew I could not fight back in any way that would give them an excuse to have me expelled.  Of course Equestria Girls has a bully in Shimmer, who is implied to be the reason why Twilight has to go into such dimension/world in the first place, but it seems that she is the sole thing that is wrong in an otherwise such PERFECT High School life that she is going to endure, while having to pick up manner as a human such as eating with her hands instead of diving her mouth into a plate.

Now, did I said this is what, in my opinion, not what Lauren Faust has shown us when Friendship is Magic premiered and when she was around during its first season?  Maybe she had a hand in EG, maybe not, but this blatant sterotypical story may not seem as something she even remotely wanted to be part of, at least not to my knowledge.

Basically, the main six characters representing girl power to all of use fans old and new have now turned into barbie dolls wanting to have fun in High School because that is exactly what a teen student only thinks of when they are at a age where their feelings are a hurricane of moods and growing to know how to make important decisions in their lives, all the while tackling problems such as graduating and even living in rough neighborhoods where even their lives are at risk everyday.

Yes, Equestria Girls will definetaly be a success with its demographic which is aimed at, why are if anyone else who is an adult and an avid fan of what MLP used to be from the 80s all the way to FiM thinks?  Friendship is still shown here people, let's just deal with it.

Not me however, when said movie appears in the theaters where I may watch something else like The Wolverine and such, I will keept it to myself and then lay low until the smoke clears.  Perhaps you may be satisfied with the result, but I have already stated my opinion about it, even if the story might have a revelation of FiM overall.  

Of course I will be curious about Shimmer, but her role as antagonist pales in comparison with what CMC faces whenever Diamond Tiara and Silverspoon are around to ruin their moment.  Simply put, Shimmer Dazzle does not hold a candle to the might of the marked marauders (their name I heard someone mentioned once).

But hey, can't hate me for stating my opinion.  Maybe.

I hate Equestria Girls with all of my heart, it's horrible in my opinion. I hope the up-coming psychic torture... er, "animated film" is all we're going to see from it and this franchise will become abadonned by Hasbro as soon as possible.

I love it.  The character designs are great, and I do like how they kept the colors of the characters.  The music is going to be awesome, because Daniel never has let us down yet.  

I can't wait for this movie. not because i think it will be the best thing ever, but because my brony greaser friends and i will all go to the theater with brony pride and greasy hair. but this isnt about what we're gonna do at the movie, its about my opinion. in my opinion its gonna be an interesting experiance. i'm not sure how i feel about that guy who i think might be a love interest because twilight just got to that world and why would she quickly become attracted to a different being to her. and what really makes me confused is if they are humans why are they still multi-coloured? but even if it looks alittle wierd but i'm still going to see it

It looks interesting.

Way better than the teaser art and posters that they kept showing.

After the trailer, I was surprised and shocked, but mostly glad that at least it looks okay.

I can't wait to see this, who knows, maybe we will like it...  

At first I was a bit skeptical about it, but now I'm interested in it. I'll check it out (I'll probably torrent it overnight) and watch it for myelf.

In all honesty when I first heard about it I thought it was a joke, but once Hasbro posted the actual ok, I was like -_- You've gotta be kidding me. 

Now that I've seen the trailer a few times I've kinda just accepted it as a separate series in itself that I'm not to thrilled about.  

There still is some potential to me seeing it if its near me.

Mainly because I'm curious about it going from ponies to human to ponies.... But... I'll defiantly be wearing my PONIES FOREVER shirt  just to be ironic. XD

It honestly looks like whoever Hasbro is using as a distributer has no idea what to do with it, especially when I look at the line-up of theatres showing it in Washington State (where I'm currently living). All the theatres are pretty distant from the major population centers.

Why do a theatrical release, and then stick it in three small towns on the outside edges of the entire state? Not one theatre in Seattle? Not even Bellevue or Redmond? Tacoma? The three theatres are about three hours drive from any major city. It's just a really weird choice.

It honestly looks like whoever Hasbro is using as a distributer has no idea what to do with it, especially when I look at the line-up of theatres showing it in Washington State (where I'm currently living). All the theatres are pretty distant from the major population centers.

Why do a theatrical release, and then stick it in three small towns on the outside edges of the entire state? Not one theatre in Seattle? Not even Bellevue or Redmond? Tacoma? The three theatres are about three hours drive from any major city. It's just a really weird choice.

It will be playing at a theater in Vancouver.  It is not as major as Seattle, but it is still a quasi-major city in Washington state.  

It will be playing at a theater in Vancouver.  It is not as major as Seattle, but it is still a quasi-major city in Washington state.  

I guess so, but it's the only theater on this side of the Cascade Mountain range, and Vancouver is right on the south border with Oregon, making it pretty far for most people in the state. I would have thought they'd play it in Tacoma at least, or even Bellevue, as they are far more central.

Heck, one group of bronies I know that work at Boeing jokingly talked about 'borrowing' a plane to get Vancouver for the movie. wink.png

Well I cant say anything about the movie yet. There too much unknown for me to form an solid opinion yet. All I can say about the trailer is that the human designs lend themselves to the animation the show is known for better than I anticipated. 

Though I will say those toy prototypes are ugly. Man ewwww.