Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What's your opinion on EqG so far?

MadPointer

Opinion on EqG  

159 users have voted

1. 1. What's your opinion on EqG so far?

• I love it
    • I like it so far
    • It looks cool
    • I'd like to see what they are going to do with it
    • I'm not interested
    • I withhold my judgement
    • I'm not sure about it
    • I don't like
    • I hate it
  2. 2. Has your opinion changed after watching the trailer?

• It's not as bad as I though it would.
    • It hasn't changed
    • It's worse than I expected

I just wanted to say that My Little Pony was meant to be girly and still is girly whether you realize it or not. The show has always been geared toward little girls and will continue to be because they're their target audience. I'm not trying to sound stereotypical but its the truth. My little pony has attracted many types of fans but don't get upset just because it isn't being catered to the adult male population. I'm going to see this movie and give it a shot besides prejudging it. I look for EG to be one of the best things to happen to the fandom. You people complain too much! If you don't like the show anymore then don't watch it! No one is making you but stop with your insistent bashing and get over yourselves! I'm not going to protest a cartoon when millions are starving to death daily.

• Brohoof 4

You know, I will tell you if I agree with your opinion after I see the movie. Then if you're right, your right. I just want to see some more MLP stuff. The only reason I will flat out hate the movie, is if Twilight and Cadance don't do their little dance when they meet.

Hasbro won't care if you have moral reservations about the movie. They will only see the fact that you gave them money for throwing a morally reprehensible, shallow load of horse turds on the screen and they will make season 4 all the more horrible because of it. 

Saying "I'll go see it even though I know it's bad." is like saying, "I don't support or condone gun violence, I just like buying assault rifles and grenades." 

(edited)

Your main problem here is that you assume the movie is going to have a shallow plot.

Wait... isn't that the same thing everyone thought about "A Canterlot Wedding"?

And - I want Hasbro to have my money. It's called supporting the franchise you love. smile.png

It won't be the franchise you love if you keep giving them money. It will just be the cheapest, easiest, most predictable version possible. I don't want my kids watching movies that teach them the most important thing in life is to be popular. 

Even as a children's show, this has gone completely down hill since Faust left and the more money you give them, the more Hasbro thinks that this crap is what you want. 

Edited by Plowplot

It won't be the franchise you love if you keep giving them money. It will just be the cheapest, easiest, most predictable version possible. 

I don't want my kids watching movies that teach them the most important thing in life is to be popular. 

Even as a children's show, this has gone completely down hill since Faust left and the more money you give them, the more Hasbro thinks that this crap is what you want. 

That's a laugh. Come back to me after the movie premiers and tell me it says "the most important thing in life is to be popular."

Your lack of faith is... disturbing.

• Brohoof 3

I just wanted to say that My Little Pony was meant to be girly and still is girly whether you realize it or not. The show has always been geared toward little girls and will continue to be because they're their target audience. I'm not trying to sound stereotypical but its the truth.

That is of course true but MLP has proven that just because something is slightly girly dosen't mean it has to suck by insulting its audience by bombarding them with hackneyed cliched tropes littered with a veritable who's who list of Mary Sue/Gary Stu's. Yes MLP is girly and I laugh when bronies deny that, but I have learned through the show that if something is good than it shouldn't matter who the "target audience" is. Don't get me wrong despite the cliche's in the trailer and the fact that it is likely to bomb I still could honestly care less about Equestria Girls because it will not affect the show and have never and will never join the panic party.

To the OP, you can of course choose not to see it if you don't want to I can understand that completely. Despite the fact that my expectations of the movie are fairly low I will still see it because I do want to at least see it before I rip it completely apart and plus there is the chance that it might actually be decent.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

And that's how facepalmingly stupid Equestria girls is.

As she said, we shouldn't watch that. The plot stinks, and WHAT?! HUMANS?! WHAT BLASPHEMY IS THIS?!

Sorry for caps.

But, Who gave power to lyra to get this idea to anybody?! IT'S RIDICOLOUS!

Edited by DainbowRash

You still don't realize that Twilight is not in it to be popular, she is in it to get her crown back then GTFO. Seriously, you need to slow down and stop all negativity that you are trying to force in.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Okay, here my two... or more cents.

First thing off. Right, it is a commercial for selling toys. Right, Hasbro played a (huge) role in its production. And right, buying tickets may encurage them to expand this new aspect of the franchise.

BUT...

No matter what, something like this movie would have happend anyway at some time. FiM will continue for now, but someday it will end. I don't await this day eagerly, but it will come.

And let's not talk about the actual quality. Yes some of the restrictions that Hasbro might have pulled of (Setting, Spike the dog... and whatever will there be else) are hard to deal with as a writer. But McCarthy is a good writer. Okay, not all parts of her episodes were flawless (Chrystal Empire, for example, just my opinion) and everybody makes mistakes, but I can also understand, that someone doesn't want to deal with exactly the same setting all the time. Who knows? Maybe she had to write it in order to work on season four? I guess we'll never know it.

I won't lie. I don't think that good writing can compansate a bad setting totally. And as you can guess, I don't like the setting. The movie will be funny, I think, but it won't be a satire on highschool-movies, and neither will it be absolute cliche.

And complaining about it won't help. Ignoring it won't help, too.

The only thing we can do to support FiM and "turn down" EqG - if it is really that bad and/or will replace FiM, if Hasbro will make that their next big move - is... nothing? I guess?

The only thing I can think of, is buying merch that is definitely FiM. Or send civic, constructive critic to the writers and Hasbro. And not watching the movie will cause nothing. Even if all bronies would boycott it, it would still be succesful due to the intended audience and their families. You can not really stop supporting it, because your support would be merely a drop in the ocean.

I will watch it, unless it costs me a ticket to the US and back. And if it really - what I don't expect in that way - has such bad morals and stuff, screw it. Hasbro is Hasbro.

And the writers are the writers.

I am so very sick of this. The movie ruins the fandom, FiM and itself even before it has shown its potential - only potential - bad quality. Because we allow our self to see it that way.

Edited by StatesTheOblivious

(edited)

You still don't realize that Twilight is not in it to be popular, she is in it to get her crown back then GTFO. Seriously, you need to slow down and stop all negativity that you are trying to force in.

Again, that's like saying, "I'm not teaching my children that violence is OK. I just wanted to show them how fun it is to shoot guns at living things." 

The entire movie is going to be about glorifying being the popular girl vs the selfish bully. We know this to be true and no child young enough to watch this movie and enjoy it for the simplicity is going to understand the difference.

You might as well take your kid out shopping for the most slutty outfit in their size if you teach them that doing anything to be popular is how you should act.

Ignoring the BLATANTLY OBVIOUS moral flaws with the actual plot. Lets look at what you think the children will see: 

You still don't realize that Twilight is not in it to be popular, she is in it to get her crown back then GTFO.

So your thoughts on the matter are that the kids won't learn the importance of popularity as the main plot of the film, but instead they will learn it's OK to use people to get what you want then abandon them? This is somehow a better lesson to be teaching our kids? 

Edited by Plowplot
  • Brohoof 1

You mean this movie was made to sell toys?  Just like the show!

You should give the movie a chance.  If you don't want to see it in theatres, that's fine.  It will be free to watch on TV a few months later.

• Brohoof 2

Sorry, but If I want to see the movie I am going to see it. You and everyone else can tell me how bad it will be, but I have to judge it for myself. I honestly don't think ticket sales are going to be a big factor here. I doubt this movie was made with high enough expectations to judge it by sales alone. If Hasbro is truly doing harm to the franchise like you said, then I fear that not supporting this movie won't be enough.The sales for the initial demographic will almost likely overtake any sales we could support.

• Brohoof 3

I guess that's one way to avoid the text requirement. Or are you trying to travel back in time to stop yourself from being wrong in the first place? That never works out. Time travel is just never worth it. 

Oh dear, that sounded ridiculously awful. He is not wrong, it's an opinion. Opinions are not right or wrong, facts can be, not opinions. I have high hopes for EQG and you make it sound bad that I am. I won't be able to go to the movies to see but I'm buying the DVD for sure. Let people have other opinions, that's all I'm trying to say. I apologize if this sounds rude, it's not meant to be.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

Please don't play that card, the show has matured and grown up a lot since season 1. It's gone from lessons about the golden rule, to aseops about finding your place in the world and finding out who you are. 

Edited by Shoboni
  • Brohoof 3

To be honest I never really intended on seeing the movie anyway. Maybe, if people say it's good, then I might check it out on YouTube, but other than that I'm probably gonna give it a miss. High school dramas will never be my thing, even if there is a demon in it (In fact, that tends to make them worse.)

Although I do agree with some of the points you make about people just throwing money at Hasbro. Sooner or later, they're going to realize we'll just put up with anything. I swear the 'omph' has left this fandom when it comes to lashing back at Hasbro's corporate advances.

Hasbro: We're making all the ponies Alicorns!

Bronies: Uhh, I guess that's OK. I trust the writers.

Anyway, I've kind of gotten off topic here, and I do partially agree with you. However, I don't think demanding that people give it a miss is the right way to go. If people want to watch it, then there's no problem with that.

Although I do agree with some of the points you make about people just throwing money at Hasbro. Sooner or later, they're going to realize we'll just put up with anything. I swear the 'omph' has left this fandom when it comes to lashing back at Hasbro's corporate advances.

What 'oomph'? When did this fandom ever have enough 'oomph' to sway Hasbro or Hub or Discovery or DHX? Yeah, we made some suggestions that they took on, but when did whining and screaming and whatever ever have any real *beneficial* effect? As far as I can tell, ranting about how awful everything is, and how it's all going into the toilet has been completely ignored by Hasbro right from day 1.

• Brohoof 2

Let me tell you what is going to happen if you go see the movie. You are going to go, you are going to watch it, you'll be impressed with the animation and the music and then you'll walk out of the theater thinking, "Meh, it wasn't as bad as I expected. " and Hasbro will have your money.

And then Hasbro will have my money. Yep, that's what I was going for! I want Hasbro to take my money. They've given me My Little Pony for three seasons, and even though I'm getting a bit tired of rewatching all the episodes, I still enjoy the show. In a few months, I'll be able to go back to it and watch it again and it'll be fresh and fun.

I think Hasbro knows that the movie won't be a huge success. But if $12 is all it takes to pat Hasbro on the back and say, "Y'know, good job. That wasn't an atrocious movie. Keep making ponies, okay?" then that's what I'll do.

• Brohoof 4

Also, you've seen all but two vague trailers and it think it will shallow, and not something that plays with the cliche tropes you talk about, or have a good message, remember this:

"The magic of friendship doesn't just exist in Equestria, it's everywhere."

That was the trailer's Arc Words. 

• Brohoof 1

I find it hard to believe for anyone to bitch, moan and complain about a movie.dry.png

I like the idea of a Pony to Human thing with a new villain that we have never seen before. None of us have seen this movie due to not it being out yet so stop making assumptions and conclusions. There's no reason for this topic to be here cause of a movie. I personally think that this movie is interesting and will be an awesome one! I don't know why you guys are complaining about it because this is before the new season comes out and I bet every single one of you is tired of waiting for new content. This is NEW! so appreciate that Hasbro is even giving us new content that is unique, interesting, bringing in a new villain with a original plot.

I will see this movie because I want to, I'm sorry if the rest of you disagree with me with any of the short, yet truthful get to the point response that I made.

If you agree with me, Please Brohoof /)*

~Chaotic Fluttershy~

• Brohoof 2

Please don't play that card, the show has matured and grown up a lot since season 1. It's gone from lessons about the golden rule, to aseops about finding your place in the world and finding out who you are. 

Finding out who you are through magical songs that alter the personality of everyone around you until you fix the problem then you grow wings and gain super-powers... Yeah.. that's so much more mature than learning about making friends and trusting them.. because becoming a magic princess is such a valuable lesson in life..????

OP is bitter and overreacting.

If you are making a thread about how we can't see this movie because you think that it will have a terrible message, then there is nothing rational and reasonable that I could say that will change your mind.

It just sounds like you have problems in your real life that you need to fix before you bitch about a movie that is reaching out to a niche audience. Get off the Internet and go back to your life. Thanks.

• Brohoof 1

Finding out who you are through magical songs that alter the personality of everyone around you until you fix the problem then you grow wings and gain super-powers... Yeah.. that's so much more mature than learning about making friends and trusting them.. because becoming a magic princess is such a valuable lesson in life..????

Not sure if you really know what your talking about.

For alot of people, they have been waiting to know what Twilight's Destiny was. Now? WE KNOW! She's a princess, I'm damn well proud of Twilight even though she's just a cartoon character cause she learned the true meaning of friendship and realized that nothing was important but her friends, and well her studies too but you know the deal.

Now I will say that it's not a valuable lesson in life however, What we can take from that lesson to reality is that, don't take advantage of your friends, trust them with your heart and love them with your heart, don't take them for granted, hold them dearly as if they were the only friends you had. What the outcome was is that your friends can help you achieve to what your heart desires in life because the people that you become friends with, help you achieve more in your life than you think.

In Twilight's situation, because of the friendships she made with them, Twilight was able to full fill her true destiny to become a princess of Equestria. 

In our situation, our friends help us achieve our goals in life and help us towards our dreams in life by care, love and support.

Take this into major thinking, and then go back to your statement because honestly, I think your statement is just flat out wrong to no agreement once so ever.

• Brohoof 2

@@Plowplot,

Hello there. Your thread was essentially dedicated to sharing your opinion on the upcoming Equestria Girls movie, so I have merged it with a topic that exists for the purpose of sharing our first impressions and opinions on it.

Yes, showing that no force can alter who you truly are deep down inside, and that trying to change who someone is causes nothing but problems is such a bad lesson. 

Also, you're missing point, that was Twilight's destiny, it didn't change who she was, and she earned it.