Drawing - A quest for advice

Iron Wing

Hello there!

I am a huge fan of MLP and the art of drawing and i have already commissioned some of my OC´s by several artists at deviantart. But since i was in search for a new hobby, i decided to learn drawing by myself. But not just normal pencil drawing, i wanted to learn digital art. I first tried to draw with a wacom tablet, but it was strange to draw on my table and to watch the change on the screen. It wasn´t... authentic and feeled strange. I´m used to draw directly on the picture. So i started to look around and found finally a hybrid computer with digitizer.

It took me several attempts, much advice and learning how to use the programms, but finally i was able to draw my first OC. I also captured a screen video how i draw her to learn from mistakes and so on. I will share the video link within a later update. But now to the final picture i was able to draw:

jpetye.jpg

I know i have to learn much more about digital painting and drawing, so here is my request to everyone who is drawing: Do you have any hints, tips and tricks for me? I would love to get some advice what i could do better because i really start to like the hobby of drawing digitaly. Should i try vector drawing? Is it better to sketch the pony on a normal paper and scan it before going digital? Are there special programms for colouring or shadowing?

Programms used: ArtRage 4 , Easy paint tool sai, Photoshop Elements 8,

• Brohoof 3

before fully moving onto digital drawing I recommend if you grabbed a sketchbook and a pencil and started drawing ponies, without manes and tails. With different poses and facial expressions. I don't know which style of drawing you prefer, I assume you want your work to look canon. There are plenty of pony tutorials on dA that you can use to work on your pony bodies.

Always sketch a skeleton, that way you would know what might look off before you flesh your character.

BTW, I like your OC she's cute :)

• Brohoof 2

@@Motion Spark,

Thank you very much for your advice. I will try to draw ponies with several emotions and poses. Also without manes and tails should be helpful since i don´t have to look for details if i just want to practice.

• Brohoof 1

before fully moving onto digital drawing I recommend if you grabbed a sketchbook and a pencil and started drawing ponies, without manes and tails. With different poses and facial expressions. I don't know which style of drawing you prefer, I assume you want your work to look canon. There are plenty of pony tutorials on dA that you can use to work on your pony bodies.

Always sketch a skeleton, that way you would know what might look off before you flesh your character.

BTW, I like your OC she's cute smile.png

Do you have a good poneh skeleton-ing tutorial for the-dumbest-visual-artist-who-have-no-bucking-talent-whatsoever-on-earth? I think I will need that.

I'm interested in learning how to draw as well, but the problem is that I don't have a scanner to draw punies and then digitize it. Is it possible to start with digital drawing with mouse (because I don't have a freaking tablet to save my life)? I'm pretty good at using mouse.

I will take any tutorial you recommend me to learn. :)

Do you have a good poneh skeleton-ing tutorial for the-dumbest-visual-artist-who-have-no-bucking-talent-whatsoever-on-earth? I think I will need that.

I'm interested in learning how to draw as well, but the problem is that I don't have a scanner to draw punies and then digitize it. Is it possible to start with digital drawing with mouse (because I don't have a freaking tablet to save my life)? I'm pretty good at using mouse.

I will take any tutorial you recommend me to learn. smile.png

sorry I don't and the major problem is that you don't want to do what I do. I usually skip the skeleton part and start just with the head and flesh the pony without doing the skeleton, the result is a horrible unclean sketch that I have to lineart after the mess lol...

it's a matter of skills, not everypony can do that.

sorry I don't and the major problem is that you don't want to do what I do. I usually skip the skeleton part and start just with the head and flesh the pony without doing the skeleton, the result is a horrible unclean sketch that I have to lineart after the mess lol...

it's a matter of skills, not everypony can do that.

Well, I do want to draw the skeleton. That will help me a lot with proportion. What I was asking is, is it okay to start with digital drawing with mouse?

So you don't have a link to any tutorial?

Well, I do want to draw the skeleton. That will help me a lot with proportion. What I was asking is, is it okay to start with digital drawing with mouse?

So you don't have a link to any tutorial?

yes it is ok, I've been drawing digitaly for many years using just my mousepad, so you can do the same and get use to it.

and no, I don't watch tutorials XD

yes it is ok, I've been drawing digitaly for many years using just my mousepad, so you can do the same and get use to it.

and no, I don't watch tutorials XD

post-10241-0-92682600-1358082258.jpg

I guess I will just continue making games.

Well, I will search for some. Drawing is always interesting. Still, game development is my main priority.

If only I could draw like this: :lol:

post-10241-0-60987600-1368076306_thumb.png