Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Music - Where to start?

Sidon Aldermane

I'll get right to the point. I absolutely love music, especially a lot of the work being produced by bronies. Music is one of the most important parts of my life, but I can't create it.

I dream of being able to make music and share it with my friends and the community, I just don't know where to begin.

I've started a bit by learning how to read music(still not quite there, though I'm getting the hang of it), but I don't really have a lot of money for software and I can't play an instrument(planning on taking piano soon). I need a kick in the right direction to show me what I must do first.

I don't want to do this to be popular or anything, I merely wish to be a part of the thing I love so much; music is too important to me to just sit on the sidelines and listen.

Thanks in advance for any help, you guys really are some of the coolest in the world. /)

• Brohoof 1

Well, what kind of music do you want to make? The first step is to figure out what you're gonna be doing.

Do you want to be a singer, play an instrument or both? Do you want to make remixes? Do you want to be a solo musician or part of a group? What genre of music?

Personally, I recommend learning to sing. You don't have to sing amazingly well, but it'll help a lot if you're a decent singer. If you want to be in a band, you should be able to at least provide some background vocals. Even if you're, say, the lead guitarist, being able to sing in the background helps so much.

(edited)

Whatever style it might be I think a good place to start would be listening and research:

Listen to the song's and music you like, break down what each instrument is doing and how it works in the track, and keep an eye on how the track builds up.

Watch people making music on YouTube for research, like tutorial video and anything like that

Edited by Asherdangerdash

I say start with piano. If you can learn piano, you can learn any instrument. Also, try and learn about music theory while you're at it. The certificate of Merit program is a great way to test your knowledge. It also depends on what kind of music you want to create which direction you go from there. Learning the basics takes time. I've been playing for 11 years and I still have a lot to learn.