Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

48/2(9+3)=?

Ashley

45 users have voted

1. 1. What is the answer?

• I was told there would be no math today

This thread appears to be some manner of random (but strangely enjoyable) nonsense, or something spammy of the sort. Thus, it has been sentenced to the Forum Lounge section of Cloudsdale Colosseum. This is an automatically generated message, by the way.

I got 2. When you add 9 + 3, the sum is still in parenthesis. So you must multiply 2 by 12 first in order to get 24 as your divisor. 48 divided by 24 is 2.

At least, this is what my math class taught me.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Guys really it's actually 23. Cause 2+2=Fish.

img-1495027-1-V9OoIev.gif

And guys it's not 2. It is 288.

Empty spoiler.

img-1495027-2-STEPHEN%20HAWKING%20FAVOUR

Edited by Jokuc
  • Brohoof 1

I got 2. When you add 9 + 3, the sum is still in parenthesis. So you must multiply 2 by 12 first in order to get 24 as your divisor. 48 divided by 24 is 2.

At least, this is what my math class taught me.

Unfortunately, math class, at least in the US, fails to account for ambiguities in the process. The primary source of confusion in this scenario is whether you divide 48 by 2 or multiply 2 by 12, first. Both division and multiplication have equal precedence; therefore, you would revert to the default order of operations, and divide before multiplying. In this case, you would first divide 48 by 2, and then multiply the quotient by 12.

(edited)

Unfortunately, math class, at least in the US, fails to account for ambiguities in the process. The primary source of confusion in this scenario is whether you divide 48 by 2 or multiply 2 by 12, first. Both division and multiplication have equal precedence; therefore, you would revert to the default order of operations, and divide before multiplying. In this case, you would first divide 48 by 2, and then multiply the quotient by 12.

I knew that, however, the multiplication in parenthesis has priority over everything else, does it not? Which means you would multiply the 2 by 12 in order to get 24 as the divisor.

Granted if it were 48 / 2 x 12 you would "sweep" it from left to right, dividing first and then multiplying by 12 to get 288. You have to read the operators carefully.

Edited by Kirlia

By the way, you have to be extra careful taking into consideration of fractions. Are you dealing with 48 divided by 2 OR are you dealing with 48 over 2 (which is 24)? This is where the confusing ambiguity arises. You must read the signs carefully.

(edited)

Let me clear this out

This one on the top can also be written as 48/(2(9+3))

iWAHHFl.png

OK?

Edited by Jokuc
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

I get the feeling that the OP's true intentions are to test our arithmetic skills, seeing as how such questions are commonly used as tricks within social media (I'm looking at you, Facebook). Given the replies so far, I'm sure the OP got what she wanted.

Also, Google says it's 288, so it must be right img-1494924-1-tongue.png

My true intentions were to screw with everyone's minds.

WiqmPTl.jpg

Edited by Megamare

I knew that, however, the multiplication in parenthesis has priority over everything else, does it not? Which means you would multiply the 2 by 12 in order to get 24 as the divisor.

Granted if it were 48 / 2 x 12 you would "sweep" it from left to right, dividing first and then multiplying by 12 to get 288. You have to read the operators carefully.

Parentheses have precedence over other operators only when dealing with their contents. You would, for example, simplify 9+3 before everything else. However, everything outside is subject to standard order of operations. 

In dealing with the expression, 48/2(9+3), we would take the highest order of precedence, 9+3, to achieve the sum of 12. The expression becomes 48/2(12). The parentheses are irrelevant in this scenario, because there is nothing inside to be simplified. Thus, you treat it as multiplication, and so you solve left to right.

My true intentions were to screw with everyone's minds.

WiqmPTl.jpg

Thought so ;)

• Brohoof 1

Well, follow the basic principle: BODMAS

Bracket Operation

Division

Multiplication

Addition

Subtraction

So, the final answer is 42 2, since that we calculate the one in the bracket first (9+3), followed by any numbers that must be either:

1. divided with the total obtained from the bracket operation
  2. multiplied  with the total obtained from the bracket operation
  3. added with the total obtained from the bracket operation
  4. subtracted with the total obtained from the bracket operation

And then, that answer from that stage to be calculated with the next precedence, which is that division.

Owait, somepony already told you, right? RIGHT?? RIGHT????

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

It depends on what calculator you are using/how you calculate by yourself. Division before multiplication, or the other way around. This question was discussed by many mathematicians. There are at least five ways you can calculate it. If you go for the classical school-mathematics, you get 2. Otherwise 288.

Edited by StatesTheOblivious
  • Brohoof 1

*sighs*

You'll realize the final and exact answer when you get into university or any other tertiary-level studies if you don't want to acknowledge the true answer to the equation (note the precedence of Maths operators including the brackets, okay).

Class ends now, EVERYPONY! sleep.png

(edited)

Brackets come first yes, but that's only inside it. You must then go from left to right in the operations of multiplication and division.

Coming from a student who does calculus at a high level, I know it's 288.

Just saying.

Edited by Azaxx