Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

48/2(9+3)=?

Ashley

45 users have voted

1. 1. What is the answer?

• I was told there would be no math today

(edited)

So, what does 48/2(9+3) equal? Is it 2? Is it 288? Is it some other number?

Please rant explain below, with or without complicated math.

Edited by Megamare
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

It would be 2. I don't know how debateable it is. You do your parenthesis ( 9+3=12)  or you do your distribution (2*9 + 2*3) and you will always get 24, then you divide that into 48 which is two. 

Or am I missing something?

Edited by Meirno
  • Brohoof 2

The answer to this question is solved via the following

1.) 48/2(9+3) -> 48/2(12)

2.) 48/2(12) -> 24*12

3.)24*12 = 288

The answer would be 288, you have to start with the addition in the parenthesis, then go left to right

with the division/multiplication.

The answer is 42. The answer will always be 42. For every single math problem ever created in existence the answer will be 42.

• Brohoof 5

(edited)

it all depends on how you wanna break it down

you could do (48/2)(9+3) which would be (24)(12) being 288

you could do (48/(2(9+3))) ->(48/(2(12))) ->(48/24) and it turns into 2

48/2(9+3) is a poorly written expression. math is like any other language, poor syntax makes for ambiguous interpretations

Edited by silverreverb

People saying 288, wouldn't you distribute the 2 in the the 9 and 3 using the x(yz)=x*y+x*z formula? I haven't been to class in a while, but if I remember, you'd have to do the multiplication there first because of that formula.

• Brohoof 2

It's 288, easily.

First, you add the 9 and 3, since, after all, they are in the parentheses. This equals to 12.

Then, divide 48 by 2 to get 24.

Finally, multiply 24 and 12 to get 288.

Extremely easy math problem.

People saying 288, wouldn't you distribute the 2 in the the 9 and 3 using the x(yz)=x*y+x*z formula? I haven't been to class in a while, but if I remember, you'd have to do the multiplication there first because of that formula.

No.  That is used if there is a variable in the way of the problem within the parenthesis being able to solve itself.  Since it can solve itself without the use of 'outside help', you would simply add 9 and 3 to get 12 etc. etc.

Oder of operations is as follows: PEMDAS

Parentheses

Exponents

Multiplication

Division

Addition

Subtraction

In that order

So...

(9+3)=12

2(12)= 24

48÷24=2

(48/2(9+3))=2

• Brohoof 4

Remember PEMDAS (Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally).

1. Parentheses

2. Exponents

3. Multiplication

4. Division

5. Addition

6. Subtraction

Hope this helps. :)

• Brohoof 2

Oder of operations is as follows: PEMDAS

Parentheses

Exponents

Multiplication

Division

Addition

Subtraction

In that order

So...

(9+3)=12

2(12)= 24

48÷24=2

(48/2(9+3))=2

Yeah, I remember PEMDAS. I was trying to remember that. So you do multiply before you divide. So you have to break the order if you divide the 48 by 2 at the start. 

• Brohoof 1

So many people are putting 288. Every math teacher I have had since 7th grade would be throwing a fit right now.

I have been studying for my Trigonometry / Algebra II final for the past 3 weeks. All of the basics such as this are drilled into my mind The answer is 2.

• Brohoof 1

There is no reason to distribute the 2 into the 9 and 3. The Parenthesis part of PEMDAS states that any number that are INSIDE a set of parenthesis should be taken care of first. Since there are no variables inside the parenthesis then distribution would be pointless and would be screwing up the order.

So many people are putting 288. Every math teacher I have had since 7th grade would be throwing a fit right now.

I have been studying for my Trigonometry / Algebra II final for the past 3 weeks. All of the basics such as this are drilled into my mind The answer is 2.

The answer is 288. Consider the expression:

48/2(9+3)

Solve:

1. Simplify the expression within the parentheses. The expression is now 48/2(12).
  2. Division and multiplication have equal precendence; solve left to right. The expression is now 24(12).
  3. Multiply, thus reaching the solution. 48/2(9+3) = 288.

PEMDAS is flawed in that it creates confusion regarding operators of equal precedence. 

By order of precedence:

1. Parentheses
  2. Exponents and radicals
  3. Multiplication and division 
  4. Addition and subtraction

Each operator has the same precedence as its inverse. If two such operators exist, and have the highest precedence in the context of the expression, then solve from left to right.

• Brohoof 4

(edited)

Ugh.

The answer is 288 my dear sir.

48÷2(9+3)

48÷2(12)

48 ÷ 2 × 12

Parentheses outrank exponents, which outrank multiplication and division.

But multiplication and division are at the same rank

These outrank addition and subtraction (which also are together on the bottom rank.)

When you have more operations of the same rank, you just operate from left to right.

48 / 2 × 12 is not 48 ÷ 24, but 24 × 12, because, going from left to right, you get to the division first.

The answer is 288 stop arguing.

On another note, such simple math could be solved on a calculator. Either a physical one or this one (which I like the most) http://web2.0calc.com/ :)

Edited by Jokuc
  • Brohoof 4

It's 288.

Did it on a graphics calculator to prove it also, even though I did it in my head.

So if you can't see what it is, use a calculator program on your computer. Even though Jokuc summed it up pretty well.

I really don't have much to add to this conversation other than this:

Why didn't you just use a frickin' calculator?

There's one on your computer.

• Brohoof 3

I really don't have much to add to this conversation other than this:

Why didn't you just use a frickin' calculator?

There's one on your computer.

I get the feeling that the OP's true intentions are to test our arithmetic skills, seeing as how such questions are commonly used as tricks within social media (I'm looking at you, Facebook). Given the replies so far, I'm sure the OP got what she wanted. 

Also, Google says it's 288, so it must be right tongue.png

I see this math problem a lot and I like it every time, not for the math, but for all the people arguing about math, some of them very angrily, in the replies, many of them thinking themselves math wizards even when wrong.

It's 288, by the way.

Well, if you distribute, it's 2.

2(9+3) -> 18 + 6 which equals 24.

And then of course 48 over 24 equals 2.

I don't know how people got 288. As far as I'm concerned, it's 2.

• Brohoof 1

Guys, for the answer to be two, you'd need to include the 2 in another set of parentheses. Like this:

48/(2(9+3)) = 2

because we know that all of the mathematics following the / is for 48 to be divided by. But it's not; only the 2 is inclusive. The answer is 288.

(edited)

Well, if you distribute, it's 2.

2(9+3) -> 18 + 6 which equals 24.

And then of course 48 over 24 equals 2.

I don't know how people got 288. As far as I'm concerned, it's 2.

Actually, I suppose the problem is ambiguous.

If it is (48/2)(9+3), then 288.  If it is 48/(2(9+3)), then it is two.  I think that the first way is more parsimonious and that anyone intending the second way would put the correct parentheses.

Stickin' to 288.

Edited by Starswirl the Trixie
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

You know, this equation just goes to show you why it's important to be clear with your symbols, even at the risk of being stuck in bracket limbo. My casio calculator came out with 2 when I put in the entire string, probably because it used distributive law to come up with 48/(18+6). This question can also be interpreted as 6(48) to get 288.

Basically, add more brackets and make the question clearer; it can be interpreted both ways and it just gives people headaches trying to find the more logical answer. In this scenario, 2 seems a lot more of a sensible answer than 288 so I'm going with that one.

Edited by Celtore