Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

MLP Card Game

Fluttashy

Maybe there would be two sides, protaganists (Sombra, Nightmare Moon, Discord, Lightning Dust, ect.) and the other side be antagonists (Mane six, Celestia, Shining Armor, Cadance, ect.)

You do mean the opposite, correct? :huh:

I think that the cards were obviously not designed to be used in such a manner and I haven't heard of any such thing but if it can be done or has been confirmed already then perhaps it may receive positive reception.

Edited by ILetThePoniesIn

A card game about ponies sounds pretty sweet. Though I am a bit lost in concerns of actually gameplay concidering the focus of the show. would be it be who can assimlate the most into friendship than the other player

I was a little apprehensive at first, but the more I thought about it the more interesting of a concept that it becomes. Pretty much every popular is in a battling format, and that gets old. How is a card game supposed to thrive if it is just the same old same old? Pokemon, YGO, and Magic have all been around for more than a decade. Is there another CCG like it that has stood the test of time since those games became popular?

I am excited for this game. I am most excited for building a personalized deck and playing with my husband. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

This video popped up on EQD, so I thought I would share it.

http://youtu.be/4Uy9PbOrg5k

It seems that the game has a race to the finish style of gameplay and with players competing to solve "problems" to accumulate points until a set limit is reached. The game consists of 4 types of cards "Friend", "Resource", "Event" and "Troublemaker". There are also character cards for the Mane 6 that function as some kind of Deckmaster.

Hope this helps anyone.

• Brohoof 2

This video popped up on EQD, so I thought I would share it.

It seems that the game has a race to the finish style of gameplay and with players competing to solve "problems" to accumulate points until a set limit is reached. The game consists of 4 types of cards "Friend", "Resource", "Event" and "Troublemaker". There are also character cards for the Mane 6 that function as some kind of Deckmaster.

Hope this helps anyone.

Found this video and watched it before I came to this thread again. While it does seem a little rough around the edges, I really like the direction they are going with this. Luckily they have plenty of time to tweak things and make the rules clear. The problem solving aspect of it sounds great and well done within the theme of the show.

post-8308-0-89135500-1376703857_thumb.jpg

post-8308-0-25687600-1376703872_thumb.jpg

post-8308-0-83675400-1376703900_thumb.jpg

Gotta say, I am really excited for this. I hope to pre-order stuff for it soon, hopefully. I am limited on funds, but this sounds great.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't if anyone here has done this yet but I printed out the cards that someone scanned and played the game with some friends. I can say that this game is looking to be very interesting. The following is going to be just my opinion on the game based on the cards and rules that was used in the Gen Con demo. If your interested in how the game is played, I would suggest either watching this video and/or going to this link and reading up on the rules(just remember, these rules were used for the demo and will more than likely NOT be the final rules). The last link is a transcript of a video where someone got a copy of the rule book that one of the people forgot or dropped. If your also interested in printing these cards out for yourself, here's the EqD link to the scanned cards: LINK. I would suggest checking out the rules before you continue with the rest of this post. It's going to mainly talk about how the game is when you play it and such, which would be a bit confusing if you don't know anything about the game. 

Now, here's my opinion on the game:

The demo is a fairly fun game. Like I said before, I've played this multiple times with some friends and we all enjoy the game overall. There are some problems with it though.

1. The beginning of the game is fairly slow. 

In the beginning of the game, it feels pretty slow and somewhat boring. The entire beginning is just trying to set yourself up so then you can solve either your problem or your opponent's problem. The Twilight deck as a slight advantage in the beginning since the deck focuses on looking at top cards of either your deck or your opponent's deck and also being able to get rid of cards in your opponent's hand. What me and my friends have been doing as of recently is just collecting action tokens in the beginning and save them until you can solve a problem. It usually picks up when someone solves a problem or two. I'm interested in seeing how Enterplay fixes this(if they even do).

2. Whoever goes first is kind of screwed.

This is pretty much on a game by game basis but most of the time, the person going first is somewhat screwed. The person doesn't get to draw and they don't even get the extra token that the person going second gets. It becomes a bit better later in the game. The person going first will most of the time solve the problem first and will be at an advantage afterwards(being able to go first after a problem faceoff is pretty good. Especially when your playing the Rainbow Dash deck). So going first doesn't mean your entirely screwed but it does suck during the beginning of the game. 

3. There needs more cards!

I'm just impatient for this game. I would LOVE there to be more cards. I've personally found that the Rainbow Dash deck needed some fixing up and could have been better if there was more variety but I can't really complain too much about this...the demo was only for a convention.

Wow, this is a fairly big post. I'll try and keep the deck analysis short.

Twilight Sparkle 

The Twilight deck has three colors/elements in them: Magic(Twilight), Honesty(Applejack), and Laughter(Pinkie Pie). The deck's main focus is to:

1. Look at either of the draw decks and try and plan things out so then it benefits you. 

2. Get rid of cards in your opponent's hand(randomly though).

3. Remove cards from home.

I've personally play a LOT of Vanguard and this deck is the equivalent to the Oracle Think Tank decks(for anyone here that plays vanguard). This Twilight deck is pretty strategical. It really tires makes sure that your opponent never has a set plan. This deck is perfect to play against the Rainbow Dash deck

Rainbow Dash

This deck also has three colors/elements: Loyalty(Rainbow Dash), Kindness(Fluttershy), and Generosity(Rarity). The deck's main focus is to:

1. Solve problems as quickly as possible.

2. Have critters help you out(either being moved from home to a problem or being chosen from the deck to your hand).

3. Move your opponent's friends from a problem to either home or to their hand

I personally like this deck. I like how when either one or two problems are solved, this deck just pretty much makes the game go by a lot quicker. The main objective(in my opinion) with this deck is to have Mane Character Rainbow Dash be flipped over to her 20% cooler side and have has many critters as you can. This deck can solve problems very fast if your opponent allows you to. I've played a couple of games where I went from losing by 3-8 points to winning by 1-5 points just because I could solve both of the problems while my opponent could not even solve one of them. In my Rainbow Dash deck, I've removed Rarity(sorry Rarity fans) since i found her and the Generosity cards to be a bit annoying at most times. You could play this deck as it is but I personally think that this deck does much better when it has only 2 colors/elements. 

Overall, it's been said multiple times by multiple people. The game does need to be worked on and I get a bit worried that the game is going to be released fairly soon. I know two months isn't really considered super soon but they do have to print these out and such(which I don't know how long that would take but I imagine it taking a bit of time). As a person that likes to play card games, I really hope that this game improves when it comes out in November. 

Edited by aruigus808

It might improve simply by virtue of having more cards available. Demos seldom give you a full scope of a game and most of the time demo and starter rule sets only contain the rules pertinent to what is in the demo/starter set and nothing more. so yeah I'm really excited about this and I'm going to try n get a friend of mine to play ^_^.

It might improve simply by virtue of having more cards available. Demos seldom give you a full scope of a game and most of the time demo and starter rule sets only contain the rules pertinent to what is in the demo/starter set and nothing more. so yeah I'm really excited about this and I'm going to try n get a friend of mine to play ^_^.

I pretty much figured this when I first started to print out the cards to play this game. I will stick with what I said though, it's a fairly fun game to play regardless of the current flaws. It's nice to play this after playing a couple of games of Vanguard with my friends. 

I got my hooves on two demo decks from eBay, and I have to say I really love this card game! I've never played card games before, and I just started playing this and Pokemon at the same time. I can't wait for the full game to come out in November. Maybe once I get more comfortable, which may or may not happen by November, I can even attend meet ups and play the game with some others.

The game is rather complicated at first glance, but I watched a video on YouTube by Friendship is Card Games (or card games are magic... one or the other...) and they helped a lot.

I got my hooves on two demo decks from eBay, and I have to say I really love this card game! I've never played card games before, and I just started playing this and Pokemon at the same time. I can't wait for the full game to come out in November. Maybe once I get more comfortable, which may or may not happen by November, I can even attend meet ups and play the game with some others.

The game is rather complicated at first glance, but I watched a video on YouTube by Friendship is Card Games (or card games are magic... one or the other...) and they helped a lot.

Glad your liking it. I really hope that someone makes an online version of this game so then people can play this with other people on the internet. This same sort of thing is being done with the more popular games like Yu-Gi-Oh and Vanguard. I wish you the best of luck with everything though

I don't see a card game being much more than a cash-grab by Hasbro. It might be fun to collect cards, but I don't see the time and effort needed to create a good card game being invested into it. An unofficial brony-created gameplay might be better, but that would make standardization a challenge. Who knows, Hasbro might license it out or find a dedicated team internally, but I'm a wee bit cynical to believe that.

• 1 month later...

couple more weeks biggrin.png  can't wait. I just started getting in to Magic the Gathering so this is the BEST timing possible but I have friends in Australia, Hawaii, Finland etc. so I hope this game will spawn a digital version in the future. happy.png

but I have friends in Australia, Hawaii, Finland etc. so I hope this game will spawn a digital version in the future. img-1962659-2-happy.png

It might take a while for this(or not even at all) depending on how good/popular this gets. I hope it does get an online version so then people can play against each other. Here's to hoping that the game is just good by itself 

• Brohoof 1

Really looking forward to this Card Game.  Even though I'm terrible and no nothing about the rule system or whats been released so far, I'm still gonna buy a buttload of these things.  The only thing I don't like is that the single packs come with 59 cards.................wish it came with 60.  That would make me feels so much better.  Why did it have to be an uneven number KUbAnTY.png

I don't really see an online version of this game coming up unless it's a massive breakaway hit that is bringing serious competition against the BIG card games. And even then it would take them a few years to develop the program. Especially since it would be the first time Enterplay would be trying their hand at software.

I can see this game being popular, just not THAT popular.

I'm sure some fans will set up a way to play it on OCTGN or some other unofficial implementation though.

But  anyhow...

So from the Demo cards I've seen, the focus of each color is going to be something like this:

Blue (Rainbow Dash) being able to move your stuff around real easy and kicking ass during the "faceoffs". Which makes sense, as Rainbow Dash is all about speed and winning.

Purple (Twilight Sparkle) Is going to be about deck manipulation ie. making sure you draw good cards and your opponent draws bad cards. Which sort of makes sense with her academic and magical nature.

Pink (Pinkie Pie) is the one I find most amusing as she is all about removal effects. Essentially she's Black in M:tG. Though instead of killing your opponent's stuff, she makes them go wander off and PARTY! (Nobody "dies" in this game, they just get discarded.)

Orange (Applejack) is going to be about effects that lock down your opponent's stuff and getting resource cards out, 'cause I guess no one can work as hard as Applejack.

Yellow (Fluttershy) is going to be about synergy with "Critter" cards and getting them in to play faster. She loves animals.

White (Rarity) There aren't a lot of Rarity cards to go by yet, but it seems she's going to be about scoring extra points when you succeed at stuff, because she does things with STYLE.

• Brohoof 1

I found a review of the preview that took place at Gen Con here: http://news.everfree.net/2013/08/mlp-the-card-game-first-day-impressions-from-gen-con-and-video-preview/

I've also already pre-ordered the Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy starter set for me and my girlfriend here: http://www.toywiz.com/mlpfimcards.html

I am so excited about this and I am bugging every brony I can find on my college campus. This is going to be so much fun, I just know it.

MLP CCG Release Date Set, Loads of Information http://www.equestriadaily.com/2013/11/mlp-ccg-release-date-set-loads-of.html

It was posted on Enterplay's Facebook as well but Equestria Daily has this post for those who don't "like" Enterplay on Facebook.

December 13 is the new official release date.

I just pre-ordered from Toywiz both Theme Decks and the 2-player starter deck so that my husband and I can mix and match characters and themes to create our own decks. His favorite ponies are Applejack and Rainbow Dash and mine are Rarity and Fluttershy. So I guess we can have a spare Twilight and Pinkie Pie deck. :)

I am pretty excited about this.

• Brohoof 2

I just pre-ordered from Toywiz both Theme Decks and the 2-player starter deck

Made the same pre-order here. I did watch the game demo that was posted on-line and think that it could be really fun.

Placing my order now, I can't wait :3 Got the two theme decks, the starter pack, and a booster box.

Now we play the waiting game!

I see a Skype League in mlpforums' future tongue.png

In fact, that sounds like a good idea. Gonna make a post on that now.

Edited by skylights

MLP CCG Release Date Set, Loads of Information http://www.equestriadaily.com/2013/11/mlp-ccg-release-date-set-loads-of.html

It was posted on Enterplay's Facebook as well but Equestria Daily has this post for those who don't "like" Enterplay on Facebook.

December 13 is the new official release date.

Thanks for posting this. Pretty much made my day knowing when this comes out.

I did watch the game demo that was posted on-line and think that it could be really fun.

The videos and demos that we've seen is a rough version of what we will be seeing on Dec 13. I think it's still going to be fun but it will probably be different from what we've seen.

• 2 weeks later...

some places are having a pre-release event this weekend so you might want to call around to see if you can find one. I'm going to one on Saturday, entry comes with a theme deck, a special foil card, and other goodies.

I'm really hoping the theme deck isn't one of the same ones that ship next week.

Edited by skylights

some places are having a pre-release event this weekend so you might want to call around to see if you can find one. I'm going to one on Saturday, entry comes with a theme deck, a special foil card, and other goodies.

I'm really hoping the theme deck isn't one of the same ones that ship next week.

The finalized list can be found here: http://www.equestriadaily.com/2013/12/finalized-list-of-cities-for-ccg.html

Nearest one to me is Chicago, second-nearest is Toronto... neither are plausible to be at this weekend.

But if you live anywhere near these places, definitely come! You get the game early... and some door prizes! So jelly of you all who can make it but I have other responsibilities to do now anyways so I guess it's not a huge loss.

I did win a play mat during Enter play's Black Friday flash sale! So I guess that makes up for it.

• Brohoof 1