Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Too many evil unicorns

Forlong

I can't be the only one who noticed this.  Most of the pony antagonists are unicorns.

Flim & Flam

Trixie

King Sombra

Sunset Shimmer

Well at least we have Lightning Dust as a pegusi antagonist, but what's with all the jerky unicorns?

• Brohoof 4

i guess it's just easyer to make them into villains, since they can practice magic and all. i don't really see a earth pony steal the elements of harmony or something. the poor thing wouldn't even get past the front guards without some kind of teleport spell

• Brohoof 4

Well don't forget Chrysalis. And Nightmare moon. But I guess thy weren't technically unicorns. Close enough if you ask me. But yea I agree with Repsol. There's not much you can do without magic. Although now that I've seen this, I want and earth pony villain in season 4. Not a normal antagonistic character like Lightning Dust. But someone like Sombra and Nightmare Moon. They were villains and it would be interesting to see an earth pony viilain.

• Brohoof 1

I can't be the only one who noticed this.  Most of the pony antagonists are unicorns.

Flim & Flam

Trixie

King Sombra

Sunset Shimmer

Well at least we have Lightning Dust as a pegusi antagonist, but what's with all the jerky unicorns?

That's not alot, heck I would say theres none at this point.

Flim and Flam were not really evil, they were just scam artist, which is not that evil.

Trixie has gone to the good side at the end of Magical Duel.

King Sombra is dead, or to be thought dead. Rumor is he's alive because his horn suvived.

Sunset Shimmer was reformed at the end of Equesria Girls.

No really anymore bad unicorns.:)

It would be cool if they made an Earth pony villain who was similar to Amon from Legend of Korra and make try to make Earth ponies a more feared race

• Brohoof 1

I guess a lot of people like to see evil unicorns since, they are usually corrupt with power or maybe just born evil. They might have a evil Earth Pony or Pegasus as antagonists.

• Brohoof 1

Hmm now that I think about it, you're right. Most of the villains in MLP are either unicorns or Alicorns. I suppose that magic is an invaluable asset to the antagonists, but at the same time some of the antagonist unicorn ponies didn't really use magic all that much (Sunset Shimmer, Flim & Flam). It'd be interesting if we got an Earth pony villain in one of the future episodes. It's hard to picture how that pony would be formidable though, since Earth ponies are so limited compared to Pegasi and unicorns.

• Brohoof 2

I like the idea of an Earth Pony villain!  I'm already imagining a huge, bulked-up armored warrior pony with a Percheron build, maybe with the power to stomp the ground and cause earthquakes.  If Flim and Flam can invent Steampunk gadgetry, then the EPV could have giant armored Trojan Horse-style tank/troop carriers, an Earth Pony horde, and clockwork dragonfly scorpion aircraft that shoot fire from their tails, perhaps with Earth Pony pilots aiming to seize the skies from the pegasi.

First of all, most of the unicorns in the original post aren't really evil.  Flim and Flam were basically just hucksters, and Trixie's biggest crime was arrogance and jealousy until she was corrupted by the Alicorn Amulet. 

And as long as we're counting non-unicorn antagonists, what about Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon? 

But I do agree with the idea that a genuinely threatening earth pony being rather difficult to pull off, especially with the abilities that pegasi and unicorns have associated with them.  What are they going to do, grow an "evil" garden?  :lol:

• Brohoof 3

Well, if we're going to throw out potential Earth Pony villains, it'd make sense to me for them to be a Batman-ish character who's skilled in misdirection, highly self-trained, and ultra-prepared. Having an alternate identity would certainly be handy; it's hard to fight someone who only really "exists" when they're in the process of carrying out the nefarious scheme du jour.

• Brohoof 1

"I know you think I'm no threat because I'm just an Earth pony, but I'm still gonna kick all your hindquarters.  You know why?  BECAUSE I'M BATMARE!"  I like it! :D

Another possibility would be an Earth pony Xanatos (probably somepony with lots of money) who is a brilliant chessmaster able to manipulate his opponents into doing what he wants even as they try to fight him.

• Brohoof 1

I guess it's just a coincidence, the writers happen to make them Unicorns, or maybe not.

I think it's because gifted Unicorns can perform magic; and if you're evil, an you're a Unicorn, you can perform dark magic.

• Brohoof 1

*Cough cough*

$T2eC16V,!y8E9s2fjtrRBQ-dmYEswg~~60_35.J

Okay, so he hasn't appeared in the show, but he is an Earth Pony, and I'd imagine he'd be a minor antagonist along the lines of Flim and Flam. So I don't think Earth Pony antagonists are completely off the table.

As far as major antagonists go, it is difficult to think of ways an Earth Pony could manage to threaten entire nations, so it would make more sense for things such as Unicorns or mythological creatures to threaten them, but eh, anything is possible I suppose.

I agree it's because unicorns seem more threatening with thier magic than anything else.A Pegasus could do some real damage to of they were really strong and fast like Lightning Dust.

Unfortunately, earth ponies just don't live up to being intimidating. The only way I see an Earth Pony villain is of they found some mystic weapon or if they had an army. Maybe even good political power too.

Friendship is magic, but so are very bad things too apparently.

The conundrum of figuring out how an Earth Pony can be an antagonist is fun. Pinkie is a valuable asset, for she has skills that no other pony seems to have [Pinkie speed, Pinkie sense, levitation, gravity manipulation to name a few]. A full-time Pinkamena is something very scary though. Would be interesting if one of her sisters has similar talents as her but uses them...FOR EEEEEVIL! Would make for a great episode if such a thing occurred.

• Brohoof 1

Well magic does give them the ability to do things considered impossible for the non unicorn to commit so the idea of having an advantage over others can corrupt you to an extent.

Plus little girls like unicorns the most.

• Brohoof 1

I just remembered an old OC of mine, Demented Hearts:

V6WBiVi.jpg

She had a special brand of magic that corrupted the hearts of ponies, even though she was an Earth Pony. So, the writers could probably do something like this, maybe with a magical artifact similar to the Alicorn Amulet or something. It would certainly be difficult to pull off an Earth Pony supervillain, but it's probably possible.

Well, with their powerful magic, it kind of makes sense. Their magic is usually the thing they use to gain power. I don't see an earth pony ruling over Equestria (sorry earth ponies.)

*Cough cough*

$T2eC16V,!y8E9s2fjtrRBQ-dmYEswg~~60_35.J

Okay, so he hasn't appeared in the show, but he is an Earth Pony, and I'd imagine he'd be a minor antagonist along the lines of Flim and Flam. So I don't think Earth Pony antagonists are completely off the table.

As far as major antagonists go, it is difficult to think of ways an Earth Pony could manage to threaten entire nations, so it would make more sense for things such as Unicorns or mythological creatures to threaten them, but eh, anything is possible I suppose.

Why do you think he's evil?  Is it the mustache?  Just because somepony has facial hair does mean they are evil.  Now if he makes this "scheming" face:

tumblr_mfsv1kWjKZ1ro9t2lo1_500.png

Then it would be perfectly reasonable to believe he's evil.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Two distinct TV Tropes come to mind here: Genius Bruiser (super-intelligent AND super-strong/agile/etc. (for example: Bane)) and Un-Sorcerer (able to negate magic somehow (for example: Amon)).

An Earth pony villain with those traits would be pretty unique, IMO; even if he/she couldn't do magic, others wouldn't be able to use magic against HIM/HER, effectively leveling the field in his/her favor of physicality.

Weaponized Poison Joke, perhaps?

Edited by Anti-Villain
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Why do you think he's evil?  Is it the mustache?  Just because somepony has facial hair does mean they are evil.  Now if he makes this "scheming" face:

Then it would be perfectly reasonable to believe he's evil.

The scheming face is the reason I think he's evil. Maybe it was difficult to see in my other post, so take a better look at his face: 674298923_tp.jpg

He's practically making the same face Pinkie was making. I know this doesn't for sure mean he's going to be a villain, but it's fun to speculate. Either way, I hope he appears in the show so that we get some sort of explanation as to why he has such a unique expression.

Edited by Spring Storm

I've also wondered how the Alicorn Amulet would affect an Earth pony or a pegasus. Would they be able to utilize dark magic like Trixie did, or would it just enhance their natural abilities to the point where magic really wouldn't make much of a difference against them?