Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

SandmanTheTerrible

What is your favorite grimdark/horror Mlp fanfic? Explain why and what it is about. I am curious to how many and what type of grimdark/horror fics there are. I am also interested in your opinion about them as well as just plain bored.

(edited)

I admit that I've avoided grimdark as a genre in the past, due to getting more than enough despair and misery in other things I read, but of the few that I've read, Pegasus Device by Aurora Dawn was actually really good. It serves as a sequel to his earlier and more famous fic, Rainbow Factory, but in my opinion blows the other one out of the water entirely. It goes more into how messed up the Cloudsdale society is in that world by focusing much more on the perspective of the workers there, explained a few nagging details from the other story, and I can't even fully explain how amazing it is without giving away things.

Edited by DashForever

What is your favorite grimdark/horror Mlp fanfic? Explain why and what it is about. I am curious to how many and what type of grimdark/horror fics there are. I am also interested in your opinion about them as well as just plain bored.

I hate to sound like "that guy" but so far the only one i like is my own personal story called "Hello Trixie." The reason is, people tend not to understand what true grim-dark/horror is about. They think it's all blood, guts, cussing, and gore when it is supposed to be about suspense. you can have gore and all that delicious stuff too, but its about painting a picture in a person's head.

you can see many fan fic writers just throw as much gore or violence or disturbing stuff on the screen without real purpose.

There is a reason why I consider SAW better than HOSTEL

SAW is about the over-all story with the gore as a result of that story.

HOSTEL is just gore for the sake of gore.

• Brohoof 1

I tend to stay away from grimdark. It's a bit... Grim for me. Also dark. Very dark. Grim and dark. Yeah.

Rainbow factory I have read, and I must say it was well written, I was just kind traumatized by the many gruesome details put in. Cupcakes is the same thing. Gore x infinity. I would strongly recommend you listen more closely to the above poster. He seems to know what he's doing.

• Brohoof 1

I tend to stay away from grimdark. It's a bit... Grim for me. Also dark. Very dark. Grim and dark. Yeah.

Rainbow factory I have read, and I must say it was well written, I was just kind traumatized by the many gruesome details put in. Cupcakes is the same thing. Gore x infinity. I would strongly recommend you listen more closely to the above poster. He seems to know what he's doing.

I appreciate the kind words.

I'm a huge horror fanatic and I love gore to death. It's one of the last great art-forms in the movie industry that hasn't been butchered by CGI (yet).

The problem is when people decide to SHOCK rather than to tell a story. Movies like Human Centipede II, Siberin Film, I Spit On Your Grave - these are huge shock films to make people uncomfortable but that doesn't make them good in the long run.

I like using Texas Chainsaw Massacre in such discussions. The original 1974 masterpiece was considered one of the scariest films ever made during that time. It's about cannibalism, murder, grave-robbing, etc etc. However, if one were to actually look at it, there is very little gore in the overall film. The worst scene is when a guy is hit with a hammer and a girl put on meathooks but those are still tame in the grand scheme of things.

Even when the kid is killed with the chainsaw, very little actual gore is used. It is the overall Theme that makes the movie so scary. It is the whole idea, what they don't show you and when you do see something it is LEGITIMATELY creepy. 

More writers need to understand that with GrimDark, it is better to NOT show all the details. Let the readers' imagination sore and make sure that there is a real story, real psychological aspects for those will truly make a GrimDark story stick with someone and the best part is, it will because they actually LIKE IT as opposed to just remembering how badly Dashie gets gutted.

• Brohoof 2

I like using Texas Chainsaw Massacre in such discussions. The original 1974 masterpiece was considered one of the scariest films ever made during that time. It's about cannibalism, murder, grave-robbing, etc etc. However, if one were to actually look at it, there is very little gore in the overall film. The worst scene is when a guy is hit with a hammer and a girl put on meathooks but those are still tame in the grand scheme of things.

Even when the kid is killed with the chainsaw, very little actual gore is used.

Funny thing, Saving Private Ryan probably had more gore than that in the first scene, and that wasn't even horror.  Still was traumatizing the first time I saw it. Makes me hate the hell out of war.

• Brohoof 1

Funny thing, Saving Private Ryan probably had more gore than that in the first scene, and that wasn't even horror.  Still was traumatizing the first time I saw it. Makes me hate the hell out of war.

That is probably one of the most beautiful moments in cinematic gore in a mainstream movie. It was so real, so viscreal, and so damn emotional that it just rips you out of the comfort of your home and puts you in the battle.

I remember I was playing KZ2 and I went downstairs and saw my parents watching it on TV. I watched the entire D-day scene and just returned to my game and turned it off because I lost my interest in a war-based FPS at the moment. It was just too gut-punching.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

The most grimdark story I ever read is "The Conversion Bureau: The Other Side of the Spectrum." I love this story, but some parts are terrifying.

In short the story is about the genocide of Humans and where canon Ponies meet their evil counterparts.

Condering the Ponies are meant to being of love and kindness, not murdering monsters.

Edited by Rush

I've read a few. There's Cupcakes, Sweet Apple Massacre and Rainbow Factory. Just those three. I'm not big on fanfics, really. Cupcakes was more depressing than disturbing. SAM tried too hard and came off as stupid. I think Rainbow Factory left the biggest mark out of the three. The discrimination thing it went with really pushed certain buttons in me and the epilogue really hammered things through.

(edited)

It's not super grimdark as in pointless blood and gore, but it's definitely one of the darker ones I've read with an intriguing story. Loyalty's Vengeance, in which all of the mane 6 save for Rainbow Dash are killed in the battle with the Changelings, Discord and Chrysalis take over, and everything goes to shit. Meanwhile Rainbow gets revenge.

Another one I liked, in more of the traditional "grimdark" theme, is Seven Rooms. Based on a short story by Otsuichi, Rarity and Sweetie Belle are trapped in an empty room and faced with inevitable death that will come for them on the seventh day of their imprisonment.

Edited by TheSteampunkNinja (TSN)

To DiscordedAnarchy(sorry my phone won't quote): those are the type of comments I was looking for. As for the Texas chainsaw Massacre, I have never seen it but I have seen trailers and it really freaked me out. I was terrified of everything as a child and I am only just now getting into the horror genre. Suspense is definitely a key part. It builds up to that jumpscare which is, for lack of better words, quite exciting. Probably the only "scary movie" I've ever really seen was Halloween: Resurrection. As for things MLP related it was that dark gory side that actually got me into the show. My friend showed me the rainbow factory music video and I fell in love. After I watched the show it was a great comedic relief(comedy ironically being another favorite genre of mine). But it was really the violence and gore, not necessarily horror, that got me into this fandom. I did not really discover an interest in horror until recently.

Honestly, I'm not a fan of grimdark at all. I read a few paragraphs of Cupcakes (I skipped a lot of paragraphs because TL;DR). It honestly bored me and disgusted me. It wasn't that scary...it was just disturbing.

I have never read Rainbow Factory yet, it seems a bit interesting. But, I have no clue what the hay it's about.

And then there is Sweet Apple Massacre which is just..bleh. I mean gore really isn't that scary to me....it's the other stuff if you know what I mean.

I'm just talking about the stories I know. I'm aware that there are more. But, no favorites really.

Fallout:Equestria, definitely. I've never played any of the Fallout games (though I want to after reading that fic), but I nevertheless thoroughly enjoyed the story; it has some very good and inspirational messages, and a strong underlying theme about not simply looking the other way when evil and injustice occur. Compared to some other grimdark fics (I'm looking at you, Cupcakes and Rainbow Factory) it's not especially gory or shocking (though I've heard Project:Horizons is even more NSFW) but then it doesn't set out to be: it sets out to tell a good story and to make the reader think, and it certainly leaves a lasting impression.

Honestly, I'm not a fan of grimdark at all. I read a few paragraphs of Cupcakes (I skipped a lot of paragraphs because TL;DR). It honestly bored me and disgusted me. It wasn't that scary...it was just disturbing.

I have never read Rainbow Factory yet, it seems a bit interesting. But, I have no clue what the hay it's about.

And then there is Sweet Apple Massacre which is just..bleh. I mean gore really isn't that scary to me....it's the other stuff if you know what I mean.

I'm just talking about the stories I know. I'm aware that there are more. But, no favorites really.

I have to agree with you on Cupcakes: gore doesn't have much of an effect on me, so to be honest I found the story to be rather boring and a little OTT. In fact, as far as I'm concerned the only good thing to have come out of Cupcakes is the related jokes and parodies that have cropped up around it. I haven't read Sweet Apple Acres though.

Rainbow Factory has more of a plot than Cupcakes (its main gimmick is still the shock factor, but at least there's more action and suspense than Cupcakes, which was just Pinkie torturing Dash for pages)  and I'd say it's probably worth a read, though it's nothing spectacular in my opinion (apparently the sequel is a lot better, but I've yet to read it). Basically, Scootaloo and some other young pegasi fail their flight school entrance exam, and they get to learn how the Rainbow Factory really works as a reward!

Fallout:Equestria, definitely. I've never played any of the Fallout games (though I want to after reading that fic), but I nevertheless thoroughly enjoyed the story; it has some very good and inspirational messages, and a strong underlying theme about not simply looking the other way when evil and injustice occur. Compared to some other grimdark fics (I'm looking at you, Cupcakes and Rainbow Factory) it's not especially gory or shocking (though I've heard Project:Horizons is even more NSFW) but then it doesn't set out to be: it sets out to tell a good story and to make the reader think, and it certainly leaves a lasting impression.

I have to agree with you on Cupcakes: gore doesn't have much of an effect on me, so to be honest I found the story to be rather boring and a little OTT. In fact, as far as I'm concerned the only good thing to have come out of Cupcakes is the related jokes and parodies that have cropped up around it. I haven't read Sweet Apple Acres though.

Rainbow Factory has more of a plot than Cupcakes (its main gimmick is still the shock factor, but at least there's more action and suspense than Cupcakes, which was just Pinkie torturing Dash for pages)  and I'd say it's probably worth a read, though it's nothing spectacular in my opinion (apparently the sequel is a lot better, but I've yet to read it). Basically, Scootaloo and some other young pegasi fail their flight school entrance exam, and they get to learn how the Rainbow Factory really works as a reward!

I haven't exactly read Sweet Apple Massacre but I have read some of the fan-made sequels so I know what it's about. Big Mac brutally murders and umm....does other stuff to the Cutie Mark Crusaders. It's basically Killing/r34. I recomend you DON'T read it.

I'll have to check out Rainbow Factory.

I'm not typically into darker things unless it is just all out 'You're fucked' levels. For that reason I can say I was interested in that Lil miss Rarity blog/story that was around a while ago. And I've seen some stuff like the rainbow factory, cupcakes, and rocks but the fact it ties in with the show's initial happy tune just kind of off puts me.