Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Cognitive Dissonance

Dark Moon

(edited)

Cognitive Dissonance: the discomfort experienced when simultaneously holding two or more conflicting beliefs.

Now with that in mind, lets play a little game. I'm going to post a scenario and you're going to have to choose. I'll change the topic when I feel enough has been said on said scenario.

Exact Scenario:

A situation arose where you had to choose between saving you brother/sister or your best friend, who would you choose? If you choose one, the other WILL die. (If you're an only child, this one isn't for you :3)

Edited by Dark Moon

(edited)

If I was offered all of the money and power in the world, I would NOT do it.  Human life must be valued as rare, sentient intelligent life.  Taking someones life is the ultimate evil, and I would not participate in it.  I would take my own life before being forced to take another person's.

Edited by John
  • Brohoof 5

Not a chance in hell. Consequence or no, no worldly value is worth that of a human life. So no, I would not kill the next person I saw for money.

• Brohoof 3

No, because I couldn't just kill anyone like that, they'd have to harm me.

I don't have that much value on money, i'd rather spare a life then kill someone, i'd never be able to live with myself.

• Brohoof 1

Yeah I figured not doing it would be most peoples decision on this one. I have some more difficult scenarios coming though. Here are my thoughts:

I honestly know I wouldn't, no matter how much money was offered, because there are always consequences, mental ones to be exact. I wouldn't be able to live with myself. It would kill me on the inside to the point that I would probably end up killing myself. 

Fuck no, I could never live with myself knowing I killed someone, especially if it was for a greedy purpose like that.

I can barely even hurt a fly, let alone take a human life.

• Brohoof 1

If you were given $500,000 if you killed the next stranger you saw and there were no consequences, would you?

I wouldn't do it. It would be impossible for me to live with myself if I took the life of someone else just for some cash. I'd rather take my own life instead.

• Brohoof 1

Nope. Consequence or no consequence, killing is plain wrong. No one, for any reason, has the right to judge another life as inferior to their own. Especially for money.

• Brohoof 1

Yeah, for me, the biggest consequence is having to live with the fact that you killed an innocent person.

I'll be honest with you, I could never live with that

Too many sleepless nights and an overabundance of guilt and depression would set in, followed by the sickness of seeing them die that way...

I really wouldn't be able to do it.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Sibling or best friend huh? I'm not by any means on good relations with my sister, it's in the job description of siblings to be at each other's throats, still I would never forgive myself if something happened to her. So as her big brother I would have to save my sibling. Besides, I think I can trust any of my best friends to get themselves out of sticky situations on their own.

Edited by TheSteampunkNinja (TSN)

Changing the original post is confusing.  I was reading the previous responses and didn't know what they were talking about.

Exact Scenario:

A situation arose where you had to choose between saving you brother/sister or your best friend, who would you choose? If you choose one, the other WILL die. (If you're an only child, this one isn't for you :3)

I would have to choose whichever of my siblings was in peril over my best friend.  Even though I tend to think of friendship as my post important relationship, the person that I consider my best friend has changed periodically over time.  My family is always going to be my family.  And if I didn't save my sibling, the rest of my family would hate me.  I can make new friends if I lose the ones I have now.  So I would do everything possible to avoid losing my family. 

Exact Scenario: A situation arose where you had to choose between saving you brother/sister or your best friend, who would you choose? If you choose one, the other WILL die. (If you're an only child, this one isn't for you :3)
My best friend.

In all my life, I've never really had friends, so I'd not want my best friend to be gone.

Also, all of my siblings are not promising individuals. They have a very low chance of making anything of themselves, and I simply don't like them or their way in life, in general. It would be both more beneficial to society and specifically myself if I were to save my best friend.

My sis IS my best friend ;) Guess the question isn't really for me, either then. Lol. 

This reminds me a bit of the Prisoner's Dilemma (we learned about it in one of my film classes) which is all about making tough decisions for the greater good. An example we talked about was the scene in The Dark Knight where the Joker gives a decision to passengers on two boats (one full of regular people, one with criminals) to either destroy the other boat or both get destroyed. Or something. I don't really remember that scene all that well.

No way in hell would I ever take somebodys life. It is the most horrid evil thing ever, besides abuse. 

I would kill myself before ever killing anybody else, because I believe that it's truly horrible D: 

You... you... you mean person lol.

Although I have a sister we're not related by blood. Still, making either choice will leave me completely broken. My sister is the only person I love as family and the only one who understands me. We both have been through hard times and we only had each other as support. So, despite the wonderful friends I have, I'd choose to save my sister.

Well... That's very very very hard for me to decide... I've spent most of my childhood alongside my older brother. He taught me everything I know today and always took care of me. But we drifted apart as I grew up, and he's off to live his own life now. Nowadays, my best friend and I are always together; travelling, sleeping over, playing games, etc. It took a very long time to find a friend like her in this world, I gotta say.

mlp-rd-ache.png ...

Man! You're evil! Um... I'd have to choose my brother in the end. He's an extremely nice and caring person, and I would hate myself if I chose anybody else over him. No friend in the world could ever replace him~

Let's see....I despise my sibling utterly, and I have no particularly good friends. I can't lose. I guess I'll just choose my friend to spite my brother.