Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

open 'Neath the Chestnut Tree (Mature)

HigurSan

@, @, @, @@Toxic Widow, @@Pripyat Pony, @@Psych Ward,

((OOC: Gottfluch! I look away for a day and there's already three pages of responses! I though I probably spent more time on this site then most, but I seem to have been proven wrong.))

Steeleye's Speech:

Having finished all necessary niceties and talking to more government officials than he really felt worthwhile, Steeleye was ready to speak to the gathered crowd. He had to force some of the irritation that had built up from dealing with patronizing flunkies into his gut so that he could put on a convincing smile. "Bitte, bitte, quiet now," he urged those gathered as he mounted the podium, his voice projected by magic. "I can hardly hear Monumental Granite grumbling with so many voices." This brought a soft chuckle from many. Monumental Granite was the head stone mason and quarry foreman of Germaneigh and was famous for complaining loudly about anything and everything. The stallion in question shifted a bit nervously, squirming in his seat on the stage. Though for now he didn't put up a fuss.

With the noise dying off, Steeleye continued. "Welcome, all of you, to the annual celebration of our nation's founding. Thankfully the sky is bright and sunny, unlike last year where it rained so hard I was emptying buckets of water out of my house for a week. Now then, this year in particular is special in many ways, as it marks the five hundred fifteenth anniversary of Germaneigh's birth. While perhaps, it the significance of this number is not as apparent as say: the fifth centennial celebration, it does hold the honor of proving a powerful enemy of our distant past wrong. I don't want to bore you with history, so I'll keep it short."

"At the gathering of warriors and clansmen that turned into the founding of Germaneigh, a vastly skilled and very insane warlock by the name of Vicegrip the Demented proclaimed to all gathered to all present that on midnight, the day before our nation's five hundred and fifteenth anniversary, disaster would befall us and utterly destroy our nation. As you may know from when you went to school, Vicegrip the Demented was later defeated by our nation's first ruler, Steelmane the Resourceful. Now, here on the morning -after- when the warlock's prophecy declared we would be destroyed, I'm still standing here and giving you this speech. So I can say with absolute assurance that he was just a crazy old fool, just as Steelmane said he was."

"Now then, I haven't a reason to hold you up much longer. Enjoy our annual Founder's Day. Sergeant, set off the fireworks if you would." Steeleye stepped down from his post as a nearby pegasus lit a match and sent rockets flying into the sky. While typically fireworks were to be displayed at night, Germaneigh had developed a type that actually made the sky darker where the rocket exploded, providing an excellent contrast for the displays. As he walked off the stage, Steeleye looked back at the sky, watching the beautiful colors bloom across his vision. Something was making his stomache a little sour and his wits frayed, but he put it down to the earlier irritation.

• Brohoof 1

Nightshade glanced out her window.  She could see the fireworks erupt throughout the sky.  She smiled to herself as she went about making some potions.  She was waiting for the multi personality pony to make her decision.  Today was a wonderful day.  But it all felt off.

@,

Novella heard a pony enter the library and trotted towards her desk.

"Yes? I'm right here you know. No need to be,well, shy.." She answered quietly. The last part was mainly to herself, for reassurance that she could deal with ponies efficiently. She flipped open the small log she kept on the desk to record the history and happenings at the library. She levitated a quill and started to write. "Not much activity today. Few ponies came in for books on Germaneigh history, potions, and one strange pony came in for a book on hypnosis..How odd! As I write this, another pony came in. He seems a bit...Odd...I'm sensing some extreme cloaking magic that he's using though. Whoever or Whatever he is, he's doing a very good job of hiding it...I wonder what he's come in for." She puts the quill down and flips the book shut with a resounding thud.

She hears the blast from the first firework and lets out a small squeak. She blushed, and then realizes its the fireworks.

"Oh I do love fireworks!" She exclaims. She teleports to a large bay window on the second floor of the library, the perfect viewing spot for fireworks. She stares at the fireworks for a while, before feeling that something was off...Feeling that today wasn't all that it's supposed to be. Feeling that more than just the pony down on the main floor was odd about the day. The pony down on the main floor! She had become so entranced by her own thoughts and the fireworks that she completely forgot about him.

She teleported back down to her desk and quickly started blushing again.

She pointed her head towards the ground a bit so that most of her hair fell forward to cover her face.

"I'm so so so so so sorry! This only happens occasionally and I already missed the Chancellor's speech...I hope you can forgive me! You're free to wander the library at your leisure and if you need help with anything just ask me. Just don't go in the back...Please." She apologized quietly.

She hated when she made social mistakes like this, it's almost cost her her job a few times. Not that she'd let that happen to her.

Forest looked over Vesper's wings, a little surprised but it didn't show. He casually sipped his tea. "A pony with bat wings..." He smiled. "I think that makes you look badass." He said, sipping his tea as he absentmindedly thought of his own "problem"...

He would much rather have bat wings than kill anypony he comes into contact with. He quickly pushed those thoughts out of his mind. "More tea?" He asked, gesturing to the tea kettle.

He blinked at Forest, confused. "Y-you...you don't have a problem with them? Y-you didn't even look surprised...I...badass....you..." He stuttered, facing this reaction. "You don't care?" he asked, hoofing his cup in the direction of the tea kettle to get more. He folded up his wings, still dumbstruck.

• Brohoof 1

He blinked at Forest, confused. "Y-you...you don't have a problem with them? Y-you didn't even look surprised...I...badass....you..." He stuttered, facing this reaction. "You don't care?" he asked, hoofing his cup in the direction of the tea kettle to get more. He folded up his wings, still dumbstruck.

Forest stood up and grabbed the tea kettle.

He poured some more tea into Vesper's mug before sitting down again and shaking his head. "In all the years I've been living...I've learnt not to judge anypony...for many reasons." He muttered, puffing on his pipe as there was a loud bang.

He stood up and walked out to where the roof of the small forge ended, to look up at the sky.

He walked back over and sat down. "Fireworks." He muttered.

"I'm so so so so so sorry! This only happens occasionally and I already missed the Chancellor's speech...I hope you can forgive me! You're free to wander the library at your leisure and if you need help with anything just ask me. Just don't go in the back...Please."

"It's no problem..." Memento began. "A pretty mare such as yourself should not be burdened to stay in one place... So I would encourage you to enjoy the show." Memento wasn't a fan of fireworks. There was nothing entertaining about bright lights filling the skies for a few seconds. No matter, if he could get this mare out for a second, he could find out what she was hiding. With that, he gave a half bow to the mare, and turned around to begin wandering the aisles. But before heading off, he waited and asked "Uhm... I don't have appeared to have gotten your name, Miss?"

• Brohoof 1

"Eight bits," Nightshade said with a small smile.  She noted it was the last of its kind she had.  She wrote the name of the potion down so she could make some more that night.  "How did your second half come to be, exactly?" Nightshade asked, popping the cork off the bottle.  She plucked a hair from the mare's mane and dropped it into the bottle.  She put the cork back on and shook it.

Jay paid over the money, gladly. "I was bullied as a filly," she said. "I was singled out by a gang of pegasus colts, and one day they threw me from the top of the climbing frame. I hit my head. When I woke up, the bullies had been hurled thru the playground fence and there was a voice in my head." Jay shivered. "Thank you for your help," she said, politely. "I think I can attend the celebrations after all, thanks to you. Goodbye."

Jay left the shop, raising a hoof in farewell to Nightshade. Once she was away, she quickly drank the potion, feeling that it was best to do so now when she knew that Jinx was asleep. She didn't feel any different, but somehow she could sense that Jinx would remain asleep for some time, but not forever. Jay knew that she'd have to go back to Nightshade's shop for another potion when this one wore off. She got to the site of the celebrations in time to catch some of the fireworks, which had brightened her passage to the site.

Nightshade pocketed the bits, listening to her story.  As the mare left her shop she waved goodbye, going into the back room.  She would make it to the celebration eventually, but first she had work to do.  She had several potions that stock was empty on and a couple that had to brew for a few hours before they were ready.

Forest stood up and grabbed the tea kettle.

He poured some more tea into Vesper's mug before sitting down again and shaking his head. "In all the years I've been living...I've learnt not to judge anypony...for many reasons." He muttered, puffing on his pipe as there was a loud bang.

He stood up and walked out to where the roof of the small forge ended, to look up at the sky.

He walked back over and sat down. "Fireworks." He muttered.

Vesper took back his mug with a giant smile. It was okay! Somepony actually didn't care about his wings! He didn't need any potion. He just needed nice ponies like this one. Suddenly there was a loud bang, and Vesper jumped out of his seat in fear and surprise, falling down and spilling his drink.

Vesper took back his mug with a giant smile. It was okay! Somepony actually didn't care about his wings! He didn't need any potion. He just needed nice ponies like this one. Suddenly there was a loud bang, and Vesper jumped out of his seat in fear and surprise, falling down and spilling his drink.

Forest caught the mug before it smashed and placed it on the table before helping Vesper back up onto his chair...by that I mean he just kinda picked Vesper up and put him down again. "Just Fireworks...nothin' t'be scared of." He said, standing up and refilling Vesper's mug.

@, "My name..?" Novella blushed. "It's Novella."

She started blushing once again and trotted back to the back. She closed the door behind her, but kept the windows facing the library open. She really didn't feel like fireworks anymore. It was odd, but she just didn't feel herself. She opened her spell book once more.

"I wonder what's going on today....Something is very, very wrong..." She reflected aloud, forgetting she left the windows open so anyone in the library could hear her. She looked through the book and noticed a new spell.

"Mind control!? Well that could be quite useful sometime in the future I guess.." She exclaimed. After looking over the spell a few more times, she closed the book. "Now what did I come in here for...Oh yes!" She grabbed the book she took off the shelves earlier and went

back out to her desk.

"Binding's all busted up..." She murmured to herself as she started repairing the book.

Forest caught the mug before it smashed and placed it on the table before helping Vesper back up onto his chair...by that I mean he just kinda picked Vesper up and put him down again. "Just Fireworks...nothin' t'be scared of." He said, standing up and refilling Vesper's mug.

"F-fireworks? What are fireworks?" he asked, embarrassed of his own ignorance, but when it came to a noise like that, it was important to know where it's coming from. He got comfortable again, holding his empty cup for comfort. He folded his wings up neatly and waited for an answer.

@, "My name..?" Novella blushed. "It's Novella."

She started blushing once again and trotted back to the back. She closed the door behind her, but kept the windows facing the library open. She really didn't feel like fireworks anymore. It was odd, but she just didn't feel herself. She opened her spell book once more.

"I wonder what's going on today....Something is very, very wrong..." She reflected aloud, forgetting she left the windows open so anyone in the library could hear her. She looked through the book and noticed a new spell.

"Mind control!? Well that could be quite useful sometime in the future I guess.." She exclaimed. After looking over the spell a few more times, she closed the book. "Now what did I come in here for...Oh yes!" She grabbed the book she took off the shelves earlier and went

back out to her desk.

"Binding's all busted up..." She murmured to herself as she started repairing the book.

Memento clearly heard every word Novella had said. Now, three things were apparent. 1. Novella was hiding something. He would have to sneak in to that back room later. How fun that could be. 2. Something wrong was going on today. He would have to check that out as well. And 3. Ponies just didn't know how to take proper care of books anymore.

Instead of bothering the mare, and therefore acknowledging the fact he had been eavesdropping, Memento casually browsed the aisles. 

• Brohoof 1

Dark could feel something here. Something drew him here. Dark was far stronger then he was before, but something about this place scared him.

"Stupid images" Dark said under his breath. Still the display of fireworks kept his mind off of those thoughts and images. Walking out of shadows he casted a spell that made him look like his former self before his stupid quest to that wretched place. Dark made it a point to never bring it up, still something about this place drew him in. It was almost like being in that other place. He shivered at the thought.

"I should check the library" Dark was next to it anyways. He opened the door and saw other inside.

Dark said nothing and began to look for a book about this town's history.

• Brohoof 1

@, Novella's horn started glowing faintly and the book levitated into the air. A small blast of power hit it and the book glowed for a few seconds. Novella brought the book back down to her desk and looked it over once more! "There...All fixed!" She murmured to herself. "Are you finding everything alright sir?" She asked Momento as he strolled throughout the library.

@@Snowy Storm, Novella turned towards the door right as an odd looking pony walked through the door of the library.

"Excuse me sir? Do you need help finding anything?" She asked quietly. She didn't appear fazed by his appearance, though in truth, she was fascinated by it. She was too shy to ask anything about how he got that way, but she had heard of ponies who looked similar. She'd never seen a pony who'd looked that way in person before, but she'd read about them. She blushed at thinking about it, not wanting to offend him, even though she knew he didn't know that's what she was thinking about.

(edited)

@@Toxic Widow,

"Yeah, I was looking for a book about this town's history. I need to see something" Dark could feel something, but he could place his hoof on it.

"I am Re... I mean I... I am Dark" Dark had to remind himself that he wasn't Regal anymore. Regal died in that place, Dark was his replacement and the only thing that survived that place.

"What is you name, miss?" Dark said to the mare as he bowed to her. He still retained a little of his noble blood.

Edited by Snowy Storm
  • Brohoof 1

"F-fireworks? What are fireworks?" he asked, embarrassed of his own ignorance, but when it came to a noise like that, it was important to know where it's coming from. He got comfortable again, holding his empty cup for comfort. He folded his wings up neatly and waited for an answer.

Forest gave him a quizzical look before standing up again and gesturing for him to follow with a grunt.

He trotted over to the edge of the roofed off area and pointed up at the sky. "Loud rockets that explode in the sky." He said. "Seen em too many times to find em interesting."

Forest gave him a quizzical look before standing up again and gesturing for him to follow with a grunt.

He trotted over to the edge of the roofed off area and pointed up at the sky. "Loud rockets that explode in the sky." He said. "Seen em too many times to find em interesting."

Vesper gasped and stared at the beautiful colors in the sky. He watched the rockets fly up high, exploding, and painting the sky with an amazing show. He watched wide eyed, amazed by this new experience. He didn't even care that everypony could see his wings.

Vesper gasped and stared at the beautiful colors in the sky. He watched the rockets fly up high, exploding, and painting the sky with an amazing show. He watched wide eyed, amazed by this new experience. He didn't even care that everypony could see his wings.

Forest chuckled and gave Vesper a hard pat on the back...which felt pretty normal to Forest. "Yep...when I first saw 'em I couldn't look away...I was only six...was with me sister." He smiled, which was something he rarely did.

He watched the fireworks for a moment before walking back below the roof, sitting down on his chair and puffing on his pipe.

Jay watched the fireworks with wonder and amazement. She had never been able to attend any of the city celebrations before; if she did, then Jinx would inevitably emerge and cause chaos, hurting ponies for no reason and using her violent magic to destroy all before her. Jay had only escaped punishment simply cuz nopony ever equated the damage done with the nervous shy pony that Jay was.

@@Snowy Storm,

Novella blushed. "I..I'm Novella." She bowed as well.

"If you'd like I can show you where that is...Is there any specific point in the city's history you would like to see, or is just a general overview fine?" She asked.

"Such odd characters that come in libraries these days...At least they like books!" She thought to herself. The library had a wide section on history, though most of the books state the same facts, and there were a few books that only contained silly myths and folk tales that weren't even true! Only a few books were actually good for anything...But most of them were always checked out.

"If you don't mind me asking...Why aren't you at the fifth centennial celebration?" She asked with a blush.

@@Toxic Widow

"Any book on this towns history or folklore would be good" Dark was opening a book and skimmed over it quickly before returning it to where he found it.

"I could ask the same of you. Here you are in a library surrounded by books, when there is beauty to behold outside. Not that you aren't yourself" Dark cursed himself mentally, That sounded like what Regal would say.

"But to answer your question such things have lot their sense of beauty to me, after seeing what I have seen I few things still hold for me" Dark pulled out another book and skimmed over this as well. Then he noticed Novella blushing

"What's wrong, did I do something or are you ill?"

• Brohoof 1

@@Snowy Storm,

"Books are a thing of beauty as well though, and I can see the fireworks from here. Plus I don't go out much...Not any more.... If you want folklore go in the back in the non-fiction section and take a left around the corner. History section is next to folklore." She informed him.

"Wait...I'm...I'm blushing!?" She stammered. "Oh I'm sorry it's just a... annoying habit." She blushed more with the last remark.

"What is up with everyone in this bucking library calling me pretty today!?" She thought as she went over her conversations she'd had that day.

@@Toxic Widow

"Thank you" Dark returned the book to its place. Dark began to wonder if he would really find anything of any use in theses books.

"I didn't know blushing could be a habit" Dark smiled as mare before him was turning even more red.

"So may I ask why you don't get out much?" dark said Raising one eyebrow

@@Snowy Storm,

"...I don't really like ponies...I'd much rather stay inside with my-I mean the library's-books. Plus I...I don't really do well...socially... And I never know what to talk about! Or I talk too much...There's other reasons too but, I don't want to bore you with it." She explained.

'Do you need anything else?" She asked.