Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

SkyBound's Scratches, Scribbles and Sketches

SkyBound

So, it was suggested to me that I should throw all of my sketches and such into a single thread rather than creating several for each piece.  This certainly makes sense and I am not quite sure why I did not do this from the beginning.

Anyway, this is where I will be placing all of my 'artwork' for all to see and criticize (which I strongly encourage; go nuts).  To be honest, most of what I will be posting here will probably be nothing more than unfinished sketches and other such garbage, though I do hope this will not be the case all the time.  Either way, if anyone has any thoughts or ways something can be improved, please do not hesitate to say so!  

Random sketches

post-3181-0-06432800-1377054811_thumb.png 

More random sketches!

post-3181-0-41317700-1377054532_thumb.png

Head angle and expressions practice (oh, the horror)

post-3181-0-17284400-1377054573_thumb.png

Some random pony (Yay color!)

post-3181-0-55010400-1377058984_thumb.png

And lastly for now, Flufflepuff and Chrysalis (though this was already posted)

post-3181-0-88881100-1377054646_thumb.png

As I said before, it anyone has any critiques or advice, I will greatly appreciate it.  Thank you!

Last on for tonight (wow, I am actually productive today).  These last ones are still quite rough and need a lot of work, with expressions and refinement on the facial structure on top of the list.  But, I feel as though I am making strides forward, even if they are baby steps.

post-3181-0-79137800-1377066988_thumb.png

I also need to stop drawing them bald.

Edited by SkyBound
  • Brohoof 34

Awesome movement! I love your expresion sketches and especialy that one screaming on the bottom of paper :D

Also... Flufflepuff <3 i was thinking about drawing her just yesterday, i think i will do it :D

Are you drawing digitaly too?

• Brohoof 2

Awesome movement! I love your expresion sketches and especialy that one screaming on the bottom of paper :D

Also... Flufflepuff <3 i was thinking about drawing her just yesterday, i think i will do it :D

Are you drawing digitaly too?

First of all, thank you for your kind words.  Convincing movement and expression are two things I feel need more work but I am glad to see that I am moving in a positive direction.

If you do draw Flufflepuff, you will have to be sure to post it.  I would definitely love to see it!

And, no, I do not have the means to drawing digitally so everything you see is done with pencil.  Which is one reason why everything is a so messy.

• Brohoof 1

I love your art!

You are really amazing with expressions, wonderful talent you have there, keep up the great work and I can't wait to see more!

• Brohoof 1

So, it was suggested to me that I should throw all of my sketches and such into a single thread rather than creating several for each piece. This certainly makes sense and I am not quite sure why I did not do this from the beginning.

Anyway, this is where I will be placing all of my 'artwork' for all to see and criticize (which I strongly encourage; go nuts). To be honest, most of what I will be posting here will probably be nothing more than unfinished sketches and other such garbage, though I do hope this will not be the case all the time. Either way, if anyone has any thoughts or ways something can be improved, please do not hesitate to say so!

Random sketches

More random sketches!

Head angle and expressions practice (oh, the horror)

Some random pony (Yay color!)

And lastly for now, Flufflepuff and Chrysalis (though this was already posted)

As I said before, it anyone has any critiques or advice, I will greatly appreciate it. Thank you!

Last on for tonight (wow, I am actually productive today). These last ones are still quite rough and need a lot of work, with expressions and refinement on the facial structure on top of the list. But, I feel as though I am making strides forward, even if they are baby steps.

I also need to stop drawing them bald.

Simply lovely as always. I love the facial expressions and how the movements look so fluid. But as a bit of friendly critique I would say that the wings in the second picture should be bigger, especially with the realistic style you have going on. But if you want to leave them rather small, as the show has them, it would be fine as well. Still can't wait to see more. :3 Your art is fasinating. Edited by Bronyette
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Thank you so much!  Though I still have a long way to go with expressions, it is encouraging that they are indeed...well expressive.

@Bronyette

Thank you for the compliment as it means a lot; never had my drawings called 'fascinating' before.  And thank you for the critique.  I kind of drew myself into a corner, literally, as I was not planning on drawing a pegasus with that one.  But, I threw wings on anyway, just for fun.  Anyway, thank you again and I will try to keep it up!

@Silverwisp the Bard

Yeah, thanks to your suggestion I  finally have one!

Thank you, as always, for your kind words.  As for the awkward one, I am assuming you mean in the last picture.  Yes, I will agree that one is a bit strange to look at, mostly due to my lack of knowledge and drawing of the back.  Honestly, I was experimenting with anatomy since our little marshmallow equine friends could not move as they do with standard horse physiology.  In other words, over thinking.  And couple that with this being done at about 2 am, nothing good can come of it.  Something I have to work one.

(Wow, this turned out longer than I thought)

Edited by SkyBound
  • Brohoof 1

@@SkyBound,

I really like them! To me, they seem simply adorable :3

Just keep on practising, and eventually you'll get better and better. 

A random question, which image hosting site do you use? 

That is the only way to get better, and I have no intention of stopping!  Thank you very much for your vote of confidence.

And I really do not use any image hosting site.  I just made a DA account, but there is hardly anything on there.

Woo hoo, another set of small sketches!  I am actually quite surprised that I am getting as many as I am out recently.  Normally I stare at a blank page for ages before I draw anything.

Anyway, all I have today are a few sketches of the CMC.  Obviously, I still need work on posing and other such details (darn wings!), but I am somewhat pleased with these for what they are.  And for some reason, I think Apple Bloom looks cute with a ponytail.  So...yeah, not much else to say.

As always, any thoughts, suggestions and critiques are always welcome and appreciated.  Thank you!

post-3181-0-18775700-1377136099_thumb.png

• Brohoof 5

Dude these are perfect I hate how people say they suck when there drawing Mona Lisa's when I say sorry for drawing a 10 minute circle and line drawing

Thank you for your compliment!  I never said that I sucked though, so to speak, but I simply have a very high personal standard for myself and my work that I feel I rarely demonstrate.  But, that is what practice is for!

Anyway, I only have one sketch here that I started at work during my break.  I drew it after the request I was working on was ruined and that I would have to start again.  So, who better to represent my dismay than the devious Discord?  This is certainly now perfect and nothing extraordinary, but if nothing else, this shows that I need  to work on drawing hands (claws, paws?) and other features.  As always, let me know what you think.

post-3181-0-82023800-1377536033_thumb.png

Hmm...feels like it is missing something...

• Brohoof 5

Man, your art is beautiful! Everything looks so dynamic here.

Out of curiosity, how long have you been drawing?

By the way I love how you draw character expressions. I think it has a very "Disney" feel to it.

Thank you very much!  I think I have been drawing consistently for almost two years, I think.  Though I feel I should be much further along with that much time, that is what practice is for.  

You are not the first say my drawings are reminenscent of 'Disney', so I will certainly take that as a compliment.  Thank you again!

Since I have just been working on requests recently, I thought I would post them here and see if I anyone has any tips to help me in the future since I know there are things that  could use adjusting

post-3181-0-33182900-1377815617_thumb.png 

post-3181-0-82812700-1377815648_thumb.png 

post-3181-0-99837000-1377815693_thumb.png 

The last one, I think, turned out worst of all due to several factors.  My first mistake was using colored pencil on sketch paper.  My second mistake was actually using colored pencils since I have minimal experience with them.  And then there is the shading and shadows...definitely needs some TLC in that department.

As always, any tips, critiques or thoughts you may have, please feel free to say so.  Thank you!

• Brohoof 3

Stop, just stop.

The amazing ness is overloading.

There so realistic and awsome.

I need to learn to draw like that.

Holy god its amazing!

Help, I am dieing of awsomeness *Drowns in the awsomeness*

Discord?

Looks great, maybe add extend the haircrest  a into the forehead to avoid having him look balding. neck looks a bit thick.

I have just been working on requests recently...

1st. right hindhoof looks a bit too bend.

2nd: neck is a bit short.

3rd right hindlegs seems to have broken off at the pelvis, shadows don't match

I wanted to wait until I had something new to post, but seeing as how things are progressing, that may never happen.  And you will have to forgive my possibly curt replies to these, as I am simply not it the best of moods.  Poor excuse, but I have no other.

Stop, just stop.

The amazing ness is overloading.

There so realistic and awsome.

I need to learn to draw like that.

Holy god its amazing!

Help, I am dieing of awsomeness *Drowns in the awsomeness*

You are far too kind. You really are.   If I was actually any good, I would be glad to give you tips on drawing but there are others far more experienced and skilled that can.  Thank you again.

WOW,your works are AMAZING really,your style is soo good,it reminds me of the film called "Balto",in some way.

Hope to see more of your amazing drawings!!

Thank you, kindly.  I have not seen that movie in ages.  As for more drawings...that remains to be seen.  Thank you again!

Looks great, maybe add extend the haircrest  a into the forehead to avoid having him look balding. neck looks a bit thick.

1st. right hindhoof looks a bit too bend.

2nd: neck is a bit short.

3rd right hindlegs seems to have broken off at the pelvis, shadows don't match

Thank you, as always, for your comments and critiques as they are a valuable insight to me.  Seeing as you have noticed such blatant flaws and I did not just shows that much more of my failure and shortcomings.  At least I have conformation.  I will have to be more alert in the future.  Again, thank you very much.

• Brohoof 1

Here is another one that I will probably never finish, and it is messy to boot.  Added a cruddy background too.  Just a random pony, on a mountain, gazing at what is 'supposed' to be migrating phoenixes.  But, since I did not add them, I guess he is just taking in the splendid view...?  Anyway, let me know what you think.

post-3181-0-08329400-1378524695_thumb.png

• Brohoof 5

Those expressions are adorable and very neat looking....Gosh. I'm so jealous...My top favorite out of the sketches would be the face expression one, and the other is that colored one. Very lovely. Make sure to keep practicing and..addmorepictures.

:catface:

Really love the style your interperting with the pony franchise and ya I can totally tell you put movement in your work both in physical and facial expressions! Very nice!

Thank you very much!  I have been trying to improve with movement and emotions, so it is gratifying to hear that it has not been in vain.

Those expressions are adorable and very neat looking....Gosh. I'm so jealous...My top favorite out of the sketches would be the face expression one, and the other is that colored one. Very lovely. Make sure to keep practicing and..addmorepictures.

:catface:

I can assure that I am nothing to be jealous of, but thank you most sincerely for the compliments!  Expressions, to me, are still one of my weaker areas along with hair.  I have been meaning to do more expressions practice so hopefully I will have more to show soon and I have no intention to stop practicing.

I have a question; you're a disney fan aren't you? Somehow I can't help but think that these style remind me of disney cartoon feel.

Though I do indeed enjoy Disney movies in general, I would not consider myself any type of fan of the company but rather more of an animation fan.  Though you may be on to something as several others have made similar comments before.  I suppose whether or not that is an appealing trait in my work, that would be debatable.  Still, I will take it as a compliment for now.  So, thank you!

Anyway, not much to show right now except for a couple sketches.  I have heard numerous times that working with ink is a great way to improve drawing skills since you lack the ability to erase.  So, here are my feeble attempts at drawing with only pen.  I must say, it was quite a fun learning experience, even if they came out very sloppy (I can hardly shade with a pencil, so why in the world would I try shading with a pen?).

post-3181-0-66877300-1378586910_thumb.png

• Brohoof 4

Oh wow these are amazing!  :o

I think my pony art is good but, it comes nowhere close to yours, you gave them such grate facile expressions.

Thats something I have a really hard time with unfortunately. :P

Also, do you have a DeviantArt account, Id love to follow you on there if you do. 

Im really looking forward to seeing more of these if you decide to post more.  ;)