Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Celestia: Princess or Queen?

Dark Qiviut

I think the reason she's a princess instead of a queen was so that little girls would relate to her better. All little girls want to be princesses. I think your highness would serve when addressing her.

• Brohoof 1

I somehow think that she is just like Ozma of Oz (from the Oz books). She's addressed as a princess most of the time, but we all know she's a queen. It just seems more appealing to address her as a princess, as that way she appears to be less power greedy, and silently closer to her subjects.

She was born a princess, most likely. That means that no one can take that title away from her. Once she starts to rule, she becomes ALSO a queen, but she still has the right to demand from people to keep calling her princess. Probably calling her Queen Celestia would make her feel uncomfortable mainly. We all saw how friendly she tends to be with her subjects.

Edited by KikiTwilight

The name was changed from Queen Celestia" to "Princess Celestia" during pre-production because reasons n stuff.

Actually, as some people here have already mentioned, in fairy tales, Disney films, and many other old myths and stories, the Queen tends to be the villain, whilst the Princess tends to be more of a protagonist. It's something that's kind of embedded in our culture now, particularly since Disney started creating their own versions of classic fairy tales.

Since MLP is a very fairy tale-esque story and primarily aimed at young girls, I would imagine that the production team figured that their audience would take to "Princess Celestia" better then "Queen Celestia". This might also be the reason why Chrysalis and Somber have the title "Queen" and "King".

Edited by Hansel

I think the reason could even be a more literal one. A Queen tends to hold more power than a princess, and before she became Nightmare Moon, Luna and Celestia shared their power equally. So they shared the same title.

Hasbro stepped in on that and made her have the title of Princess. In my mind she is Queen, and that's how I would address her. Luna, Cadence and Twilight are Princesses of various ranks after her. Twilight is the newest and the third, but in my opinion, she's number three with a bullet! The kid will go far!

(Yes, I LOVE Alicorn Twilight!)

Wouldn't Cadance be a queen too? Being that she rules the Crystal Empire and Shining Armor would be king? Twilight as far as we know now is still a princess due to not ruling anything (yet) Luna is honestly 2nd in command so she would still be a Princess.

• Brohoof 3

Wouldn't Cadance be a queen too? Being that she rules the Crystal Empire and Shining Armor would be king? Twilight as far as we know now is still a princess due to not ruling anything (yet) Luna is honestly 2nd in command so she would still be a Princess.

I can say one thing, the mordancy system in Equestria most be messy. But sure most be some kind ranking for princesses, With  Celestia and Lune at top. And there after Cadance and Twilight Sparkle. But then we have other  issue with Princes Blueblood i do wonder if hold any authority at all. Our his just Prince cause of his blood line, but in that case vise blood line? Is he Celestia's our Lune's of spring? Our are there other royal family member we do not know of?

I agree with cuteycindyhoney and AlicornPrincess! Celestia and Cadence should be queens, as they rule over entire kingdoms, Shining Armor should be Prince Consort, as he is royalty through marriage, and Luna and Twilight should remain princesses, as Luna is under her sister, and Twilight doesn't rule over anything as of yet.

We also need to see more protagonist queens in media in general. Get rid of the stereotype that all princesses are inherently good and all queens are inherently evil... If she's in charge, and there are no other rulers above her, then she should he a QUEEN!

• Brohoof 1

I'm actually not sure if Cadence would be a Queen. I think of it as she's ruling the Crystal Empire as sort of a late wedding gift from Celestia. It's more like Celestia appointed her as Governor General of a new (returned) colony. Am I over-thinking things again? Princess Luna is second in command (Vice Queen?) of Equestria, but I think someday Twilight will be running the whole show.

• Brohoof 1

The reason she has to be called 'princess' when she was originally supposed to be a queen is because of the preconceived notion that all queens are evil by default, like The Queen from Snow White, The Queen of Hearts from Alice in Wonderland, etc.

So Hasbro wanted her title to be changed to 'princess' because they are usually portrayed as good in most media.

In-universe, I can only assume that similar mentality exists and her subjects prefer to call her a princess because of her compassion.

(That's the only conclusion I've come to that makes any sense to me.)

I think Queen would have been a better title for Celestia because it makes sense. She and her sister are basically queens of the land. Hasbro didn't want it that way because Queens are usually associated with evil. They could have broken that stereotype, but didn't want to take the risk. Cowards. dry.png

Edited by SmartyPants
  • Brohoof 2

Also, if Cadence were queen, Shining Armor wouldn't necessarily be king, but more likely Prince Consort Shining Armor, because he wasn't born into the ruling family. Thus, he most likely wouldn't be in line for running the kingdom after Cadence, were something to happen to her.

This one comes up a lot.

Here's my response:

http://mlpforums.com/blog/844/entry-4983-equestria-and-the-crystal-empire-always-a-princess-never-a-queen/

http://mlpforums.com/blog/844/entry-4984-equestria-and-the-crystal-empire-king-of-crystal/

http://mlpforums.com/blog/844/entry-4985-equestria-and-the-crystal-empire-the-rise-of-equestria/

TL/DR; The title princess, like prince, doesn't mean what you think it means. Historically, prince is a generic title applied to any ruler regardless of their assumed title. Especially when multiple rulers are interacting. One nation's King, another nation's Sultan, and another nation's Malik and so on would collectively be called 'Princes'. This is due to Prince as a title predating King or any of the others as Prince as a title can be linguistically traced back to pre-Indo-European roots, while the other titles like King are all relatively recent. No matter what title of nobility you claim, it officially reverts to Prince in many situations.

Also, Celestia may in fact be a Queen, but in Equestrian society the title Princess may supersedes that as an indication of her being an alicorn, and therefore outranking a mere 'Queen', or some other position of authority that is considered to be of higher rank that uses the older title. Or it may be a conscious choice of hers to use a much older title reflecting that she originates in a similarly ancient culture.

Well heres one way to look at it. The Alicorns are the regal race or whatever you wanna call it and its more of an equality thing, if Celestia had the title Queen then Princess Luna, Cadence and Twilight will appear as ''not as powerfull'' or not seen as the rightfull rulers and Celestia is seen as ''above them''. While its true that Celestia probably rules more or is atleast seen as the supreme ruler, it looks less like a dictatorship if there are 4 leaders with the same title, again you wouldnt look at Luna Cadence or Twilight as equals to Celestia if she had the title queen because they would be the ''lesser'' rulers and not as powerful. 

How do we fix this? Make a Lauren Faust Pony that everyone calls by the name: Goddess Empress of Ponykind

Edited by SveciaDash
  • Brohoof 1

Well heres one way to look at it. The Alicorns are the regal race or whatever you wanna call it and its more of an equality thing, if Celestia had the title Queen then Princess Luna, Cadence and Twilight will appear as ''not as powerfull'' or not seen as the rightfull rulers and Celestia is seen as ''above them''. While its true that Celestia probably rules more or is atleast seen as the supreme ruler, it looks less like a dictatorship if there are 4 leaders with the same title, again you wouldnt look at Luna Cadence or Twilight as equals to Celestia if she had the title queen because they would be the ''lesser'' rulers and not as powerful. 

How do we fix this? Make a Lauren Faust Pony that everyone calls by the name: Goddess Empress of Ponykind

Oh, dear. Is Goddess Empress of Ponykind!

*Bow's greasfuly*

You finally returns to land of living, have you come the purge the universe of chaos my Empress?

Edited by Sig Hoovestrong

Oh, dear. Is Goddess Empress of Ponykind!

*Bow's greasfuly*

You finally returns to land of living, have you come the purge the universe of chaos my Empress?

Changeling heresy is a threat to Equestria and must be purged. Please report to the canterlot guard station to sign yourself up for the Equestrian guard.

To die for the Goddess Empress is the highest honor.

• Brohoof 1