Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Celestia making Twilight read TWELVE books over a weekend. Slave driver much?

Never2muchpinkie

I rewatched Spike at your service recently, and it occurred to me that DAMN that's a lot of books. Now, yes Twilight is a big bookworm and she herself says it's not that many, but I have to say that few people would want to read 12 books over 2 days, even if it was for entertainment purposes, like say, reading the 7 book Harry Potter series, the 4- book Eragon series, then finishing up with the Lord of the Rings. My brain would break.

I know it was a convenient way to have Spike be the focus of the episode as well as having Twilight occupied so she didn't hear Spike say he was going to be Applejacks servant, but seriously!

well, twilight is kind of a door mat  in the right circum stance.

Do you think we'll ever see Twilight tell celestial no?

cause if the answer is no,

I'd love to see A changeling take over for Celestial and watch the train wreck insue.

or discord replace Celestial.

It was without a doubt a cop-out, the writers had to keep Twilight occupied and they though "Books! She likes books right?". But then again, Twilight isn't like most people (or ponies for that matter), I wouldn't be surprised if she enjoyed that many books in such a short time period. She did grow up reading books almost all of her time, after all.

Edited by Noazark
  • Brohoof 1

Well she does have Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, you know. That, along with her love of books and knowledge, explains how she would read 12 books in 2 days. Most people/ponies wouldn't read that many books over a course of two days, but you have to look at it from Twilight's perspective.

Edited by Rough Pathway

As Noazark mentioned, it's probably a cop-out by the writers to keep Twilight sufficiently busy during the episode. But her behavior is justified by her OCD (which crops up visibly when AJ visits) and drive to please Princess Celestia. While 12 books -- very likely academic in nature -- are indeed a lot to read, Twilight is also prone to do committing herself to otherwise comical tasks for little other reason than she feels compelled to complete them.

My main beef is that it ultimately doesn't matter: Twilight reacts to the Noble Dragon Code as if it is serious business, despite the fact it has no mention in any previous episodes. Had Twilight responded by telling AJ that the Noble Dragon Code was ultimately a farce, her preoccupation with the reading assignments might have been more meaningful. This is one of several reasons why I dislike "Spike at Your Service."

Well, Twilight is a student. She has to do what her teacher makes her do. Obviously, in that very episode, Twilight was nervous about reading so much (it is a lot, quite), but she said that Celestia wouldn't make her do it if she didn't believe in her. So she decided to keep up with her work, which I find great about her.

She is a bookworm, egghead, a nerd, and any other kind of "crazy-about-books-and-studying-kid". Plus, she's a very devoted student. She would never disobey a direct order from the princess who's her teacher, mentor, the most respected person in the world, and also a friend. It's also quite likely that The Princess did this as another kind of "test" of responsibility, to see if Twilight's ready to become a princess (it's episode 9, quite close to MMC).

There might be many explanations, but I personally don't think that's the worst or toughest assignment Twilight had to go through during her studies. I actually got the feeling that she had to study even more while she was still in Canterlot, living as a typical student, so maybe reading about 10 books a week was a part her daily routine. We all know that Twilight reads very fast, she must have developed these abilities somehow. The only way to lean to read fast is to read, and to read a lot.

So, I don't blame Celestia. Twily doesn't seem to blame her either.

As an avid book reader myself, I can say that reading twelve books in two days would be fairly easy for me. But then, I read quickly. Twilight does have magic to help her, which speeds things along.

reading the 7 book Harry Potter series, the 4- book Eragon series, then finishing up with the Lord of the Rings. 

Lord of the Rings is actually six books, originally published in three volumes. Just saying. Oh, and I have read them all in two days.

It depends on the books. I have read ten books a day before, when I was in university and needing to grind through various treatise to write papers on. It was a chore, but it was well within the realm of the 'possible'.

You know being Magic and all couldn't twilight use some sort of uber speed reading spell. You know one that would allow you to read several books at once and be able to retain its information.

For someone like Twilight, reading is her strong point so Celestia thought it would be a fair task for her compared to anyone else it would've been a much more difficult task.

Also I think Celestia is where Twilight gets her "Slave Abuse" she directs towards Spike.

We all know that Twilight reads very fast, she must have developed these abilities somehow. The only way to lean to read fast is to read, and to read a lot.

I agree here, ther is a trick to read fast, and I do it often. Just follow the lines with your eyes, fast, and detect the key words. This way, you can know what it talks about without reading all the useless words. It takes less time to finish a book. (But don't read stories this way, it sux, only theoric books)

But anyway, back on topic. 12 books is indeed a lot for one weekend. She have the ability to read fast, but well, she couldn't focus on "real world" because she was too busy with her books. It can be done, easily, but I would just procrastinate personally lol.

I'm sure it was purely for exaggeration. Twilight is known for being the nerdy bookworm of the Mane 6, and with that said, giving her 12 books to read in 2 days is basically an exaggeration by the animators of just the kind of character Twilight is. She is a nerdy bookworm, and she could be so much of a nerdy bookworm that she would be prepared to read 12 whole books in just 2 days.