Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Princess Luna's Developments (possible spoilers)

PissyPie

Has anyone else noticed that Princess Luna's mane is the more matured, flowing mane style in the past, as shown in the Season 4 premiere? Remember in the first episodes of MLP FIM how she appeared juvenile after being separated from Nightmare Moon? Why has she gone from mature, to premature, and back to mature again? Well, I do have one theory that I heard while I was reading Past Sins. It was something like this, when Twilight and the rest of the mane 6 used the Elements of Harmony to free Luna from he corrupted self, Nightmare Moon, they stripped her of some of her magic.Tying Past Sins into this, the cult attempted to resurrect Nightmare Moon from her remains which clearly still withheld some magic, whether it still contained part of Luna's original magic was unknown. The theory mentions that the amount of magic an alicorn contains may have something to do with how mature they are. I think this theory makes sense but I'd like to see what you think. smile.png

Edited by Laurynn

My original theory was that the EoH were like a giant, magic reset button, and brought her back to a period of time in which she was innocent and could make the right choice this time with support from Celestia and the Mane 6.

• Brohoof 1

I've heard that the explanation the writer's had for Luna's mane in her first appearance was that the EoH had drained her magic when it forced NMM out. That caused her mane to be all not flowy for while afterwards. The real-life decision to change Luna's mane was made when Faust thought it made Luna look too weak. :)

• Brohoof 1

I've kinda thought of it to some extent in that way. That it left her weakend. I don't know if i think the Mane is a sign of how mature or powerful they are nessarily, as thats not quite how my headcannon is, but still i think her mane not flowing was part of her power being drained.

Her being lesser in size, well i'm not entirely sure about. Maybe similar reasons..

There is also the theory someone else had about this, that the only reason they looked like this in the I guess it would be called flashback that Twilight had, was because that was the way that she had seen and known Celestia and Luna, and thus thats how they appeared to her in the flashback.

However that theory has some holes to, as does the one I mentioned first.

So, who knows for sure, it is a bit confusing. I've always for the most part thought of it like the first theory i mentioned though, but maybe S4 will reveal more on Alicorns and help clear up things, who knows.

• Brohoof 1

I think being weakened by the EOH is the canon reason, but the production reason is the staff (apparently) didn't like how she looked and wanted her to be more dramatic looking.

I think the bigger issue is that they looked exactly the same in the past, including Luna being smaller, so it begs the question were they always princesses?

Edited by Nature's Spell

My original theory was that the EoH were like a giant, magic reset button, and brought her back to a period of time in which she was innocent and could make the right choice this time with support from Celestia and the Mane 6.

This is basically confirmed by the Elements of Harmony guide book. If I remember correctly, Lauren Faust stated the elements removed the wickedness of Night Mare Moon from Luna long enough for her to reconcile with Celestia. Such a process would imply the Elements of Harmony were instrumental causes in Luna's reform, but neither prime nor final causes.

One wonders how things would have proceeded if Luna had instead rejected Celestia's offer of friendship...

• Brohoof 2

I think every one of you have valid points that can be taken into consideration and for the most part all have the same general idea. I do suppose the Elements of Harmony bringing Luna back to a time when she was more innocent and less powerful makes some sense, though I think about how she said "I missed you so much" and how she can still remember everything that happened. If that's how you veiwed it Dark Horn I'm not sure

I think every one of you have valid points that can be taken into consideration and for the most part all have the same general idea. I do suppose the Elements of Harmony bringing Luna back to a time when she was more innocent and less powerful makes some sense, though I think about how she said "I missed you so much" and how she can still remember everything that happened. If that's how you veiwed it Dark Horn I'm not sure

She remembers, I'd think, because being on the moon was like being in suspended animation. When she was brought back she "rebooted". It was like It's a Wonderful Life in an instant.

The other idea is she was aware of what happened and came to see her life differently and Luna Eclipsed would imply that she changed but she had doubts.

Edited by Nature's Spell