*spoiler*Will Flutterbat be a permanent thing?

Mywas

So I just watched the "Bats" episode and I noticed that at the end Fluttershy's Vampire vangs were still there.

Will they play an effect in future episodes or will they be forgotten about?

• Brohoof 6

This is something I am very curious about as well. I mean, it could just be a random way to finish out the episode but they could have just done a simple view pan like they have done before. So, I am very intrigued. I really cannot say a definitive answer. They definitely got the cliffhanger right with that though.

• Brohoof 5

I doubt it. It's probably just one of those pointless little twists they used to finish off the episodes. Usually to get the viewers react with surprise and wonder just for the heck of it. 

But then again, who knows really?

For now it's just as much of a mystery as the shadow figure that appeared at the end of Castle-mania. 

• Brohoof 5

I seriously hope not.  It's a neat loose end on which to end an episode, but its otherwise a pointless derailment of the character and just doesn't really feel like its in the spirit of the show. 

• Brohoof 1

I doubt it, it was more than likely just a way to "surprise" the audience at the end of the episode. Sort of like that dark shadow at the ending of Castle Mane-ia.

• Brohoof 2

Definitely won't be forgotten about. Not sure if it'll be Flutterbat exactly, but I'm sure something similar if not exact will pop up again in the future, just like that creepy last scene in Castle Mane-ia. S4 definitely seems to have a dark theme to it (noticing a lot more action as well), and it'll be interesting to see how it all unfolds. But yeah, that last scene of this episode is pretty much Chekhov's gun: You don't show something like that and not have it appear again. It's gonna be relevant for the future.

• Brohoof 8

I personally hope it's not.  As far as I know, real life ponies don't have canine teeth.  But maybe cartoon ponies do and they look like fangs from the right angle?  ^^;

While I loved Bats! on the whole, it wasn't necessary for Fluttershy to become a batpony.  I would have preferred for it to be a simple case of Fluttershy being brainwashed into thinking she was a bat.  We've had several episodes end with the implication of ongoing subplots.  We're already seven episodes in and we haven't found a single key or addressed a loose end from an earlier episode yet.  Time to get cracking, guys!  :derp: 

• Brohoof 3

I hope so. If not, then the writers of the show are just trolling. Once or twice is good, but if these twists have no pay-off, people will be pissed. There will be certain camps of bronies who would just off and leave if we go the whole season without development. Everypony wants all of these cliffhangers to tie up nicely in an epic resolution. Seeing it just left there, while a good thrill for the moment, will result in people being displeased over the long-term.

We were promised epicness and a season-wide plot arc. So far, we have only been given cliffhangers, with nada in terms of a proper revisit. With every episode which fails to call back to earlier on, the displeasure with new episodes will increase. You don't want a frayed rope. You want a tight braid. The rope is fraying, but there is no braiding at all. They had better start working at these supposed epic plotlines, or people will be irritated at the unresolved tension they feel.

In terms of overall, we are 7 episodes in, and so far my fears have only increased. With the premiere, I was worried that trying something new with a new narrative style would result in it blowing up. I was afraid that they would do what they did in the past- have the premiere set the stage for something, then not visit again for the whole season, reulting in a resolution which is inadequate. Right now, it appears to be going that way. We are a third of the way done with the season, and all we have is two passing mentions of the box.

On top of that, there are many loose ends which have been created:

-The castle: Why is it being restored?

-The Pony of Shadows: What da hay? I like to climb back up after dangling off of a cliff

-The Fang: Same issue as the Pony of Shadows

And of course

-THE FREAKING BOX: We are a third of the way in, and no progress has been made on this point

The writers need to do something about these things. Nopony likes being trolled.

• Brohoof 5

Often those kinds of twists come up in cartoons just for the sake of being there. Although this kind of thing doesn't appear too often in MLP, it has a tendency of happening in other shows. I think that it was just a humorous way to end the episode that makes the viewers like us wonder if it will be elaborated on.

So, I'd have to say that I doubt it'll come up again or become a new episode, but it's possible that 'Flutterbat' could become a running gag of sorts; like her being seen sucking on apples in the background when the scene isn't focused on her. :derp:

I think we still have something in store, we've had multiple episodes this season that have ended on such similar circumstances, like the Season 4 opener with the Mysterious Magical Mystery Box of Mystery and the shadow figure in the castle in Castle-mane-ia. It might not be as major as this last episode, but we'll have to see what the writers have planned.

Personally, I liked Flutterbat. It was cute.

Edited by DeltaTangent
  • Brohoof 1

We were promised epicness and a season-wide plot arc

Were we? If thats the case I just lost all hope for the future of the series...

Season wide arcs and the like take away from the randomness that made the show good. And if not done well it also can ruin a series outright.

Most series cannot survive being linear and to a point. IMO its also probably why other shows seasons that have always had lengthy stories throughout their seasons (like anime) have widdled down from 30+ episodes a season into a piddly 10-13... :( Or worse.. only lasted one good season and then went POOF.... (like the Thundercats reboot.. ended without even being finished, and any plans to close with a short movie were also shot down!... TBH at least it didn't do a Duckman.. ugh.. I soo hate that shows maker.. Love the show.. just hate the SoB for that series ending...)

So far though we've seen some fairly random episodes, but with ending points that look like they may be building on something big.. hopefully thats all it is.. because one mass long story... thats not good...

Edited by GrimCW

If Fluttershy is not shown to revert back to her original form before she had fangs, then I will be very disappointed that a really kind pony and a well developed character had been desecrated. That being said, I do believe the show is taking a more darker approach than it did in previous seasons.

Often those kinds of twists come up in cartoons just for the sake of being there. Although this kind of thing doesn't appear too often in MLP, it has a tendency of happening in other shows. I think that it was just a humorous way to end the episode that makes the viewers like us wonder if it will be elaborated on.
So, I'd have to say that I doubt it'll come up again or become a new episode, but it's possible that 'Flutterbat' could become a running gag of sorts; like her being seen sucking on apples in the background when the scene isn't focused on her.  :derp:

No, just no. This is not Spongebob Squarepants or Looney Tunes. I enjoy randomness and practical jokes, but I also want to see character development and a proper storyline. That is what made MLP such a great show in the first place.
Edited by LED Dasher

I don't know. I took a different rather crazy theory of what they were trying to do there. Perhaps it's just wishful thinking, but maybe they were trying to show a future idea for Batponies in general? They have been in the show before. Only in five second clips in which they didn't say anything but it's a possibility. As others have said, as far as Fluttershy herself goes, it's possible it was just another random ending like in CastleMania, but then we don't really know for sure. Hasbro does strange things sometimes.

Maybe it's now a recessive part of her personality now. She won't go crazy like she did initially but she will crave apples.

I'm not sure if they are even going to bring it up again as they don't seem to do that often this season.

• Brohoof 2

I think it will factor into some kind of plot point later this season, probably towards the end, and then just be zapped away. It's just such a ridiculous thing to make a permanent aspect of her character, rather than a one off deal to help them deal with some problem in the future (or make one worse :P)

AJ'd better keep her eye on her orchard for the meantime in any case.

• Brohoof 2

If they're going to do story arcs, I wouldn't make it completely season wide. They should do it the same way Deep Space Nine (Star Trek) did it. Not totally episodic, but had different story arcs. These weren't two parters, but each episode had an ending at best, then a later episode would come back and continue that story arc. That was why I loved Deep Space Nine. The Ferengi specific arcs were good.

The show will still keep it's randomness, Pinkie Pie does enough of that, but this possible story arc would be a nice touch.

Or better yet, make MLP just like DS9. It would be glorious. /sarcasm

• Brohoof 2

As cute as Flutterbat is I kind of hope they just make it into a gag reference like she can be Flutterbat for Nightmare Night or something.

It would be pointless to see her because they already know how to neutralize her wild side.

It could either be just something to end the episode with your jaw open similar to how old shows used to end spooky episodes. Or it could be something for down the road. Either one I will be fine with.

Edited by VenomTrixie