Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Rarity Takes Manehatten References

Tall_But_Short_37

In this latest episode, there were many, many, many references to things scattered throughout the multitudes of shots of the city and big crowds of ponies. So many in fact, that I doubt anyone caught every single one. There were obvious ones of course (Grumpy Cat), but myself and many others probably missed a lot. Therefore, I think it's appropriate to have a thread to post all the various references, cameos, and inside jokes you saw in this episode! Please add and discuss!

In front of the theater, there's a billboard showing a poster clearly referencing the musical Cats. Instead of yellow eyes with humans in them, the poster has green eyes with ponies. 

CatsMusicalLogo.jpg

There's also the obvious Sound of Music connection to Hinny of the Hills, but I caught another one that had to have been intentional. When Rarity is looking for fabric for a new collection and her eyes immediately flash to the curtains, I had to think of Maria making clothes from the curtains in SoM.

Sound-of-music-curtain.jpg

What other references and cameos did you catch in this episode?

Also, things that you feel as though they are referencing something, but aren't sure what. For example, this seconds-long office scene in the song.  It may just be there to build the big city atmosphere, but it wouldn't surprise me if it were something out of a scene from a movie or musical.

Manehatten_1.jpg

• Brohoof 2

Suri was, as a character, a reference to Mr. Mackey of South Park. This should be immediately obvious, since she, like him, ended many many sentences with "m'kay."

Edited by Kelario
  • Brohoof 1

Suri was, as a character, a reference to Mr. Mackey of South Park. This should be immediately obvious, since she, like him, ended many many sentences with "m'kay."

I thought of Mr. Mackey too, only Suri makes it sound less dorky somehow when she says it. Also, that's about the only thing she has in common with him

The Grumpy Cat pony, the pony voiced by Daniel Ingram (whoot!), the building modeled after the Chrysler Building, the Mad Men background ponies, Hinny in the Hills, of course Rarity on the lamp post, and my favorite, the assistant Coco Pommel is a play on Coco Chanel, fashion icon. 

• Brohoof 2

The Grumpy Cat pony, the pony voiced by Daniel Ingram (whoot!), the building modeled after the Chrysler Building, the Mad Men background ponies, Hinny in the Hills, of course Rarity on the lamp post, and my favorite, the assistant Coco Pommel is a play on Coco Chanel, fashion icon. 

Plus, the Coco Chanel logo being used multiple times but with horseshoes.

Spike_nervously_walking_towards_Rarity%2

• 2 weeks later...