Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Can someone explain pony genetics to me?

sparklecake

Mrs and Mr cake are earth ponies but had a baby pegasus and unicorn pony. How? Did I miss something in the episode? And if it is one of those things were traits are passed down the line or luck of the draw, couldn't there be a family of pegasus ponies but they have an earth pony as a baby? What would happen then? Would that pony ever be able to step on cloudsdale without a spell?

I know pony genetics sounds confusing, but we will try to explain it. I didn't exactly understood Mr. and Mrs.Cake explanation on how they have a baby and a unicorn foal but, there would have to be something in their family tree that could shed some light on genetics to make it a bit more clearer. If a family of pegasi had a earth pony as a baby, their baby wouldn't be able to step on Cloudsdale if they are not a pegasus unless they had the spell performed on them.

• Brohoof 1

Sorry if this doesnt help but here. good luck! 

Baby unicorn magic180px-Pumpkin_Cake_chewing_the_toy_1_S02Pumpkin Cake using magic.

The episode Baby Cakes features a little baby unicorn named Pumpkin Cake, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Cake, who uses her magic unexpectedly when Pinkie babysits her and her Pegasus twin brother,Pound CakeRarity cautions the other ponies at the beginning of the episode that "baby unicorns get strange magic surges that come and go", and Pumpkin Cake experiences these surges when she's able to use her magic to teleport, walk through solid objects, levitate herself and other objects, and break the locks and chains that Pinkie put around the toy chest.

Considering that they are both earth ponies that have a mixed background down the line, think of it as the recessive genes that exist in our world; they were carriers of the genetic traits that belong to pegasi and unicorns (although distantly), and were just the extremely off-hand chance of having no earth pony children.

I guess as long as one of the pegasi had earth pony ancestry, yes that sounds possible, however, they would not be able to walk on clouds, as already mentioned, and would probably end up with the parents just moving to some other grounded residence and flying to their jobs, should they move somewhere close enough; pretty much a normal life on both sides, although the child may have some identity issues because of it.

That or, one could argue, Mrs. Cake isn't being completely honest with Mr. Cake.

Edited by Gordon Freeman
  • Brohoof 1

Considering that they are both earth ponies that have a mixed background down the line, think of it as the recessive genes that exist in our world; they were carriers of the genetic traits that belong to pegasi and unicorns (although distantly), and were just the extremely off-hand chance of having no earth pony children.

I guess as long as one of the pegasi had earth pony ancestry, yes that sounds possible, however, they would not be able to walk on clouds, as already mentioned, and would probably end up with the parents just moving to some other grounded residence and flying to their jobs, should they move somewhere close enough; pretty much a normal life on both sides, although the child may have some identity issues because of it.

That or, one could argue, Mrs. Cake isn't being completely honest with Mr. Cake.

Not gonna lie, I laughed way too hard at that last line