Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Can "YOU" date/marry someone who is religious/atheist?

Miss

If you are a religious person could you see yourself dating/marrying someone who is atheist/secular? 

If you are an atheist/secular person could you see yourself dating/marrying someone who is religious/spiritual? 

This is obvious going to depend on many factors; namely, how religious/spiritual you are/the person you are dating is. And on the other end how actively irreligious the atheist/secular person is (negative feelings towards spatiality/religion). 

I'd personally say I wouldn't be able to marry someone very religious but spiritual maybe. Dating I could do, I feel that conversation between the two of us discussing reality etc. could be very interesting learning about how we see the universe. The main reason why I don't really see dating between myself and someone who is religious is because of the activities. I definitely would not want to do many religious activities; namely, going to church, prayer, religious events, religious holidays, etc. these things could possibly be very important for my significant other so me not being involved would definitely lead to feelings of separation, exclusion, etc. 

Edited by Miss
  • Brohoof 1

Religious affiliation is certainly not the only factor that would influence whether I'd date someone or not. I probably wouldn't mind so long as it didn't become an actual point of contention between us. Of course, I would ideally like for my spouse to share my religious views, but it wouldn't necessarily be a deal breaker if every other box were ticked.

• Brohoof 2

5 hours ago, Miss said:

If you are a religious person could you see yourself dating/marrying someone who is atheist/secular? 

If you are an atheist/secular person could you see yourself dating/marrying someone who is religious/spiritual? 

This is obvious going to depend on many factors; namely, how religious/spiritual you are/the person you are dating is. And on the other end how actively irreligious the atheist/secular person is (negative feelings towards spatiality/religion). 

I'd personally say I wouldn't be able to marry someone very religious but spiritual maybe. Dating I could do, I feel that conversation between the two of us discussing reality etc. could be very interesting learning about how we see the universe. The main reason why I don't really see dating between myself and someone who is religious is because of the activities. I definitely would not want to do many religious activities; namely, going to church, prayer, religious events, religious holidays, etc. these things could possibly be very important for my significant other so me not being involved would definitely lead to feelings of separation, exclusion, etc.

Well I've been wavering between Atheist and Agnostic for a while but I'm actually dating someone who's a Christian and it doesn't bother me too much. Of course, me and him like to joke around a lot so we'll pick on each other for our beliefs but it's just to be funny and we both know that. My main factor into dating or marrying a religious person is if they shove it down my throat and my boyfriend doesn't do that, though I was hesitant to date him at first since my family used to shove their religion down my throat constantly so I was worried he would be the same way. Thankfully, that isn't the case and I usually tell people to not let opinions affect your own beliefs since it's your life, not theirs. :eager:

I also understand the reason for not wanting to marry someone too religious since, while it doesn't also turn out bad, most of the time it does. The only things my boyfriend really does religious is praying and going to church which is fine but I'm not going with him for obvious reasons. I went to a church one time and just hearing one of the Baptists preach made me cringe since it annoys me to a degree and I'm not going into it here since this reply will go from 2,388 characters to 3,000 characters. :ButtercupLaugh:

• Brohoof 2

If you love someone, you love them because of the way they are, what they believe in, or not believe in. So of course, you can date/marry someone who has the opposite belief. Not everyone will though. There are always two in a relationship, not one accepting and another one not accepting the situation.

• Brohoof 3

I don't see how it matters either way, I'm Christian and I don't really see why it would matter as long as we have the same values I think we would be good. While it might matter when it comes to marriage, I don't see how it would in regards to dating then again I'm very, very picky and only really date 10/10 which usually involves having similar values.

• Brohoof 3

As an atheist, I have to say it would depend. Lets be serious, this is a large issue, not one to be taken lightly.

For me, personally, if someone believes that I will go to Hell for being non-religious, I don't think we're compatible, no matter what. Just give it a little thought. It can't end well. You end up with a dilemma. If they accept my non-belief and leave me alone, that would be worrisome on how much they care about me. They sincerely believe that I'd be going to Hell if they don't save me, right? On the other hand, if they do make a big deal about it, it's going to be a rough relationship.

Someone who is religious "lite" could perhaps be compatible, though. If they hold no such beliefs about needing to "save" me, then yeah. Even better if they hold no expectations or hopes for me to ever go to worship services, because I will not. It's a waste of time, unless they're performing some Renaissance choral works like Tallis or Palestrina, then that might be neat. But, that's not typically what you hear in churches nowadays.

Even the expectation for me to go to church with someone could be too much for me. I grew up being forced to do that and it was dreadful. I hated it so much. Go to church yourself, but it's not for me!

Also if you hold bigoted beliefs or if you think that "religious beliefs" are an excuse to get out of vaccinations, nope. Stay farrrrrr away from me. (especially if you're not vaccinated. Stay very far away!)

• Brohoof 5

I'm a spiritual person so I can't exclude or judge people too much, if you truly love someone you'll look beyond their beliefs. Beliefs and religions don't define what a person is and anyone with a sane mind won't let their belief system define them. I won't date anyone who had gotten three vaccines, I can tell you that. 

• Brohoof 1

Depends how militant they are about their views, I guess. I'm religious and while I'd prefer to date/marry somebody who is too, the only thing that'd really matter to me is that they'd respect my beliefs. If they don't share them that's fine, just don't insult me or others based on our faith and we're all good.

When it comes to raising children, I'd want to educate them about my faith but let them make their own choices about whether or not to follow it (I had religion pushed on me hard as a kid and it made me turn away from it entirely during adolescence, so I'm not repeating that with my kids) - if a partner was dead-set on raising atheist children that would probably be a deal-breaker, as I think giving children the freedom to choose what to associate with (or to disassociate from) is very important. Parents shouldn't ever try and control their child's identity.

• Brohoof 2

It’s complex. It’s very complex for me especially. At the least I think it would be best for my significant other to really respect God and WANT to go to heaven. Fundamentally. I know I’m on shaky ground right now and no real Christian would date me as is, as I’ve found out. I understand.

• Brohoof 2

I suppose I can date someone who is religious or who is not, but at this point in my life I don't care about getting a girlfriend, much less marrying someone. I gave up trying to do that a long time ago, it's pointless.

• Brohoof 2

I don't think it matters, as long as the contrasting beliefs don't get in the way of the relationship. If they do, I'm sorry to say, but it's not going to work.

• Brohoof 1

I mean, first thing first I gonna need to find a soulmate. Their beliefs background is the least of my worries. 

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have no problem with people who are religious or atheist. I do have a problem with people who try to force their religion, or lack of religion, on anyone else.

So yes, I'd happily date someone of any philosophy as long as they're not a jerk about it.

As long as their beliefs don’t consume them or cause them to be negative toward me. I wouldn’t want to be with someone constantly criticizing my decisions because they will “send me to hell”.

• 1 year later...

I mean it depends. Atheists/Agnostics ofc. I already went on a few dates with some people who were atheists before. Christians and Catholics are auto no as we wouldn’t be a good fit. You can believe what you want but we just wouldn’t get along very well. Friends? Sure. Dating? No. The people I tend to date are typically atheists,agnostic,pagan,wiccan or have some other sort of spiritual views. Those sort of people I typically get along with better. My complex personal beliefs just mesh well with theirs. 

I think it really depends on the religion that you or your intended partner are tbh. What I do know is that Muslims can't marry anyone outside of their religion because said religion goes against it, so ye (this might come off as inaccurate or offensive, if it does, I apologize, please correct me /gen)

I don’t really care, I’m Christian myself, but willing to date anyone regardless, the only real problem with it is raising your kids when you and your wife have two completely different beliefs, you’re not really sure what to teach them. Another thing is when they’re open to anything like being saved, I’ll be more than happy to take them in.