Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Can "YOU" date/marry someone who is religious/atheist?

Miss

2 years later my answer remains similar. I can understand why people believe in religious things, though I do not share that view. If they want to have a personal faith, they can. I just will not be attending religious gatherings, church, etc. I'm not an Atheist, nor am I Christian. If someone has the mentality that I need to be "saved", than, I am not going to want to pursue any level of romance with that person. Also depends on the religion / faith they would follow. Certain political opinions cross my mind as religious, and there are many that would immediately disqualify someone from my radar, so to speak. 

It's worth saying I've never dated anyone. Nor do I know when that will change.

• Brohoof 1

6 hours ago, Steve Piranha said:

Depends, if religion or atheism is their whole identity and can’t stop talking about either: hell no >_>

Tbh as long as they aren't forcing it down your damn throat and forcing you to join the religion I don't see a problem with that /nbr

• Brohoof 1

If I was single and dating, I consider dating to be a prelude to marriage and not a casual thing for the fun of it. That being said, if I was dating, with an eye toward the long haul, the candidate would have to have the basic fundamental attributes that I value. I would encourage the same point of view to anyone interested in me, because if two people are opposed on the most basic levels they won’t last as a couple. “A house divided against itself cannot stand.”

But also consider the actual meaning of athiesm and secularism. Athiesm is a lack of religious belief although it’s more often twisted into something less un-religious and more anti-religious. If I was involved with someone who simply had no religious beliefs I’d offer them the opportunity to know what they’re missing. It’s possible they simply don’t have enough information to make a decision on the matter and would be open to it if inclined. But someone who is against religion would be of no interest to me as a potential partner.

Secularism is simply a worldly view of things that doesn’t involve religion. It has no standpoint for or against it; it’s simply separate. Again, someone brought up in a strictly secular environment may simply be unqualified to make an informed decision about something they have no knowledge about. Once informed, they may or may not be open to it. This is a deciding factor. Someone possessing all the facts but with their mind closed to religion would not be suitable for me. So no, I would not date someone on that basis.

• Brohoof 1
  • Hugs 1

I don't mind as long as they don't try to shove their religion down your throat and make it their whole personality.

But if they do: hell no.

• Brohoof 1

Yes. In fact, I’m quite compatible with atheists since.. as a theist I’m already very enthusiastic about my beliefs.. dating another theist would probably be chaotic so I’m glad my soulmate is an atheist for the sake of grounding and balance. :laugh:  

• Brohoof 2

I’m lean more towards theistic ideals but actually I would definitely mind if that person is either a Christian who studies the Bible and/or a part of Jehovah witness.  They’re pretty fixated on their own beliefs that they couldn’t care less about relationships. I hate to generalize, but the ones I met so far.. (not in a dating terms) I didn’t have any pleasant experiences with them as most are very pesky. 

I don’t mind anyone with a religious background in general, but I won’t attend any religious gatherings so I would appreciate it if they don’t force me. My mom would be the one and only and the last woman I go to church for willingly. :proud:

• Brohoof 2

I do not know if I would even fit into this question because I consider myself a very spiritual person but not a religious person.

The difference being things like my belief for the spiritual isn't something set in stone it's far more flexible in nature.

My "church" is the earth, God "speaks"through the wind, the animal, the children and so forth.

So I suppose if I were to be considered on the religious aspect of this question I'd be willing to give whoever a chance but realistically we probably just won't have lasting chemistry.

I mean over all it would depend on how hardcore of atheist we are talking because if we are talking the super anti -theist plus "skeptic"combination then absolutely not but if they're a little open minded then we could probably get along pretty well.

Ultimately, it's going to be how well we can get along that determines any of this.

Let.me put it this way...

If Id find her in a bar: :lie: :okiedokieloki:

If I'd fine her in a bookstore on the other hoof: :pinkie: :wub:

• Brohoof 1

9 hours ago, Ice Princess Silky said:

Yes. In fact, I’m quite compatible with atheists since.. as a theist I’m already very enthusiastic about my beliefs.. dating another theist would probably be chaotic so I’m glad my soulmate is an atheist for the sake of grounding and balance. :laugh:  

And I do enjoy company of my beloved theist here as her perception of the world not only enriches my own, scientific mindset and gives me more depth to explore, but also fascinates me <3 

So, in short, my answer also is a "yes" :fluttershy:

• Hugs 1

I will say that I cannot be in armony someone too religious in general nor do I imagine dating or marrying someone who is religious. I can be friends and even date anyone, but if religion is gonna be a huge factor then nope

• 3 weeks later...

I have dated people who are religious and others that were atheist/agnostic before. We usually did not have issues because I believe if you love someone, you love them for who they are and not their beliefs. Sure having the same things in common is great, but not everybody will be the same. That and if you are both adults that can actually communicate your thoughts, it really should not be a problem.

• Brohoof 1

I can and have done so before. I'm not religious, but of course, I would not force that on them. Naturally, I would expect the same thing in return. As long as that level of respect is there, I don't have an issue.

• Brohoof 1

Yes,  given my partner does believe there is something of a high power but won't put labels to what it can be.  As long as my partner respects my own personal choices and beliefs,  then yes I could.