Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

If you could live in the 1800's. would you?

StuffyCake123

Yeah, as a woman, I wouldn't have been treated too kindly back then. Add into the fact that I'm a minority despite not looking like one, I don't like my odds for living in the 1800's. I might as well put a target on my back.

Now, to visit, sure, I'd love to study some of their culture and mannerisms, maybe meeting someone like Emily Dickenson or Edgar Allen Poe, maybe even meeting a young H.P. Lovecraft. Visiting would be an enlightening experience I think, but living there, certainly not. 

• 2 weeks later...

Despite the fact that my family contains a Knight during that period; no. First of all: disease, there are deadly diseases back then that we aren't immune to, and there are diseases in the present that we are immune to, but to them they would be hyperlethal contagions. Secondly: I like technology. Thirdly: Victorian Britain has a questionable reputation.

Edited by FluffyGoat13

Sure, could be fun. I could work on steam engines for a living. :icwudt:  I think most people are making this era out to be far worse then it actually was. :muffins: 

Hey at least people talked to eachother in real life back then......................................-_-

So I would consider it but then I'd probably die instantly because my ethnicity will turn out to be like 0.5% of some race that is apparentally bad.

Edited by Rawzy

• 3 years later...

No, I like the internet too much and like to interact with people 12k miles away. Back in the 1800's itd take a year to get a response back if you ever did! 

• Brohoof 2

Not a chance! Not even for a second! Everything that I hold dear, technology, design, computers, lamps! Color photographs! Even my house which is a castle built in 1890 would still not be fun to live in! I can live in now, and feel the 1800 if I wanted to! But live in 1800, never!

• Oh and my life would probably be over already if I lived in the 1800, as you don't live for long.
  • Brohoof 1

Me time travel to the 1800s? One look at me and they’d think I’m some sort of witch/demoness and burn me alive. 

Although apart of me would find amusement out of the shocked expressions over my hair and piercings.

I would travel back to that time to explore. I would like to see how things worked/looked back then. I would never want to live in that time, though. No internet, diseases killing everyone, etc.

• Brohoof 1

Any time I think about what it would be like to travel back in time I can't help but think about all the things I'd have to live without!

Even if I could bring my closest friends and family members, there's no way I could keep up with my friends all around the world anymore. No more of my favorite TV shows, movies, video games, and websites either. Traveling somewhere like a national park would take days or even weeks, assuming I could get there at all. Most of the food probably tasted pretty bland and it was a lot harder to preserve.

On top of all that I'd probably end up working in some dirty smelly factory for 10 hours a day. Or breaking my back doing farm work with rudimentary tools. Really the more I think about it, the more 2020 seems like a pretty darned good time to be alive.