Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Is it wrong if I defend the Wii U, platformers, and Nintendo themselves?

SUPERFOX5

Now, I get the hate for Call of Duty, I really do, but to say that it flushed out the industry is incredibly dumb. Let's look at some stats since 2007, since it was when CoD got popular. For simple purposes, I'll only use sales numbers from the years they come out.

2007:

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (3rd)

Halo 3 (1st)

2008:

Call of Duty: World At War (6th)

2009:

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (2nd)

2010:

Call of Duty: Black Ops (1st)

Halo: Reach (3rd)

2011:

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (4th)

2012:

Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 (1st)

Halo 4 (3rd)

Borderlands 2 (7th)

2013:

Call of Duty: Ghosts (2nd)

Bioshock Infinite (10

As you can see, FPS games haven't been "obliterating" the scene for consoles since their major popularity came to be. We see 2-3 major titles a year, and the rest is populated with various other titles, so the argument that "CoD is killing all creativity" is farfetched at best.

That wasn't my point. My point was that CoD is a large part of the reason that video games aren't taken seriously as an art form or a hobby. When you say you play an FPS (from CoD, to Counter Strike, to ArmA, to Metro) people immediately assume you're talking about Call of Duty. They then proceed to talk about the fact that Call of Duty is a mindless glorification of war no matter what game you're talking about.

That wasn't my point. My point was that CoD is a large part of the reason that video games aren't taken seriously as an art form or a hobby. When you say you play an FPS (from CoD, to Counter Strike, to ArmA, to Metro) people immediately assume you're talking about Call of Duty. They then proceed to talk about the fact that Call of Duty is a mindless glorification of war no matter what game you're talking about.

Okay, I understand your point, and in short, here's what I think of those people.

People are stupid.

Edited by OpTic Lunar

Okay, I understand your point, and in short, here's what I think of those people.

People are stupid.

I agree wholeheartedly. May I ask where you got your name? OpTic is a rather prestigious clan if my knowledge of FPS lingo is correct.

IMO the Wii U is awesome and you have all rights to defend it. But everyone has their opinions. Some people will hate things and others will love those things. In the end it comes down to what you think. I recently bought a Wii U and I'm enjoying it so far.

I agree wholeheartedly. May I ask where you got your name? OpTic is a rather prestigious clan if my knowledge of FPS lingo is correct.

Competitive Call of Duty. OpTic is one of the most prestigious teams in MLG, and also my favorite. Think of them as the Yankees of MLG, very popular, but not great in terms of talent.

Edited by OpTic Lunar

Competitive Call of Duty. OpTic is one of the most prestigious teams in MLG, and also my favorite. Think of them as the Yankees of MLG, very popular, but not great in terms of talent.

But the Yankees used to be really great... Or at least able to buy the best talent... I've always wanted to see Call of Duty players take on Counter Strike players... Just to see what happens.

But the Yankees used to be really great... Or at least able to buy the best talent... I've always wanted to see Call of Duty players take on Counter Strike players... Just to see what happens.

Same thing with OpTic. They easily were the best team before Black Ops 2, then fell off with countless team changes. I'm hoping their new roster makes things better, though.

Edited by OpTic Lunar

Same thing with OpTic. They easily were the best team before Black Ops 2, then fell off with countless team changes. I'm hoping their new roster makes things better, though.

Have you ever watched any pro Halo or CS? It gets quite intense.

Have you ever watched any pro Halo or CS? It gets quite intense.

I only started watching last year, so by that time Halo and CS were long gone.

Though, I remember watching this live, and it was pretty intense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbqSC5Sg6w0

I was so scared Killa would end up bringing it in, and I probably jumped from my seat watching it live.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_UG56B3LhU

I only started watching last year, so by that time Halo and CS were long gone.

Though, I remember watching this live, and it was pretty intense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbqSC5Sg6w0

I was so scared Killa would end up bringing it in, and I probably jumped from my seat watching it live.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_UG56B3LhU

CS isn't gone... CS: GO is still pretty big... Try this, you may like it:

http://youtu.be/nJvkFdrKgZE

You really dont have to be a little rude about this, for pretty much Nintendo is the highest rated. It get sold FAST.

Still didn't explain what you meant by highest rated. Nintendo haven't sold their company I don't know what you're talking about.

And yes, it did used to be a card compant in Japan in like the 1800s or something like that.

I didn't deny this I was asking so what? As it was rather random.

And What does Xbox owe? Really, they were the 3rd system installment. So, maybe I was a little wrong, so frankly it took after Play station too.

"And what does the Xbox owe?" Followed by you not answering the question and talking to yourself. Thanks.

And really? Was this really an arguement to offended ANYONE? I was pointing out the positive to help out this fellow Brony to prove Nintendo is NOT a bad thing to defend.

Yes I was saying your argument was biased and made no sense therefore being bad (despite being positive) advice.

Man, people totally get butthurt over people's help xD this post wasn't even towards you, thanks?

Yeah but it was stupid and I had to point it out or else he would've took the advice on board.

Oh, and how did they copy Nintendo, Playstation did come out with a REMOTE? (Insert PS Move)  And Playstation with PERMISSION did also do this (Insert Playstation All Stars)

You said "If it wasn't for Nintendo, then there probably would not be any Play stations or Xboxs. They basically, got their ideas from Nintendo, considering, they have copied Nintendo a little, with permission, obviously."

Those two examples have nothing to do with Playstation or Xbox not existing. If those two ideas didn't exist I'm sure there would still be a Playstation and an Xbox.

Now, how about to go bug someone else by being an ass.

Reported.

Okay, you could have explained that Nintendo Land isn't a platformer.  It's a party game.  And, even if he wants to disregard that (he will), there are also these games for the Wii U:

ZombiU (survival horror)

Lego City Undercover (sandbox)

Pikmin 3 (real-time strategy)

The Wonderful 101 (action)

There are games for everyone on the Wii U.  Also, it's the cheapest console with two rewards programs, free trials and demos, and excellent internet service.  The only reason to talk smack about the Wii U is to confirm to the rest of the world what an idiot you are.

There is a console that is sh*t on the market: the Xbox One.  It has the highest price tag, the worst library (which won't be updated this year), and absolutely no rewards programs.  In true poetic justice, it has failed to match the "poor" sales of the Wii U.  So...when Microsoft is trying their hardest to advertize their product, to make sure everyone knows they have it out and what it can do; but they still can't match Nintendo's sales when they weren't even trying.  Hilarious.  The only console company that could drop out of the market is Microsoft, and even that's a stretch.

• Brohoof 1

Okay, you could have explained that Nintendo Land isn't a platformer.  It's a party game.  And, even if he wants to disregard that (he will), there are also these games for the Wii U:

ZombiU (survival horror)

Lego City Undercover (sandbox)

Pikmin 3 (real-time strategy)

The Wonderful 101 (action)

There are games for everyone on the Wii U.  Also, it's the cheapest console with two rewards programs, free trials and demos, and excellent internet service.  The only reason to talk smack about the Wii U is to confirm to the rest of the world what an idiot you are.

There is a console that is sh*t on the market: the Xbox One.  It has the highest price tag, the worst library (which won't be updated this year), and absolutely no rewards programs.  In true poetic justice, it has failed to match the "poor" sales of the Wii U.  So...when Microsoft is trying their hardest to advertize their product, to make sure everyone knows they have it out and what it can do; but they still can't match Nintendo's sales when they weren't even trying.  Hilarious.  The only console company that could drop out of the market is Microsoft, and even that's a stretch.

They haven't dropped out of the market, and they won't. They've sunk their only other access point into the gaming market (Windows8 says 'Hi!') and they will do fine the moment that their games library starts being a thing. And they don't have games for everyone, name one RTS or RPG (that isn't monster hunter or Mass effect) for the WiiU. 

I kinda had an argument with my big bro.

He called my Wii U "garbage".

I try to say it is still good.

He asks me to name three games.

I say, "Super Mario 3D World, Nintendo Land, and New Super Mario Bros. U".

He exclaims that those are platformers, and then states that platformers are boring.

I like all these things.

He also thinks Nintendo will die out in 10 years.

I think they will live on forever.

What would you say?

Am I wrong for liking what became popular in the past that is still going on today?

Or should I just keep playing the same repetitive FPS games?

I still like all other game consoles like the Xbox 360 and PS3 (I own both, plus the Wii U), but I will still defend Nintendo.

It isn't wrong at all if you like Nintendo, everypony has their own opinions, I think that you should just hold onto your opinions and don't let others influence you too much. But in my honest opinion, I think that your brother is right all the way, except for the platformer part, platformers are still fun. However, I believe that Nintendo will eventually die out one day or another. Their 3DS only was a moderate success and their Wii U kind of like a dead pony walking. However, it doesn't mean their games are bad.

It's rather funny to note that OUYA were beating Xbone in sales (it might have been beating the WiiU too, mind).

No one seems to know, because Ouya is so secretive with their sales figures.

They haven't dropped out of the market, and they won't. They've sunk their only other access point into the gaming market (Windows8 says 'Hi!') and they will do fine the moment that their games library starts being a thing. And they don't have games for everyone, name one RTS or RPG (that isn't monster hunter or Mass effect) for the WiiU. 

You're probably right.

Not at all Nintendo is a huge factor in the gaming community. The fact that anyone feels the need to bash any game or console is pretty sad. We need to take a look at the pros and cons of each bit and try to learn from them. Of course there will be games and systems you don't like and that is totally fine. State your opinion, don't just say something sucks and it needs to go away. The gaming community is a giant circle.

3) Nintendo did not MAKE Pokemon, Kirby, or Fire Emblem. They only PUBLISH those titles  Do not give credit where it is not due. (Note: Game Freak of Pokemon game fame develops exclusively for Nintendo so that's an understandable oversight. The rest is just plain old didn't-do-the-research misinformation.)

Gunpei Yokoi, the brains behind the Gameboy, happened to be the producer of Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light for the Famicom Disk System.

Shigeru Miyamoto was one of Pokemon Red and Green's producers.

Shigeru Miyamoto and Satoru Iwata, though uncredited, helped with Kirby's Dream Land for the Gameboy.

All three of these titles were the first in their series.

Please give credit where it's due.

Still didn't explain what you meant by highest rated. Nintendo haven't sold their company I don't know what you're talking about.

I didn't deny this I was asking so what? As it was rather random.

"And what does the Xbox owe?" Followed by you not answering the question and talking to yourself. Thanks.

Yes I was saying your argument was biased and made no sense therefore being bad (despite being positive) advice.

Yeah but it was stupid and I had to point it out or else he would've took the advice on board.

You said "If it wasn't for Nintendo, then there probably would not be any Play stations or Xboxs. They basically, got their ideas from Nintendo, considering, they have copied Nintendo a little, with permission, obviously."

Those two examples have nothing to do with Playstation or Xbox not existing. If those two ideas didn't exist I'm sure there would still be a Playstation and an Xbox.

Reported.

Dude, just drop this. This was directed towards the person who made this topic. Nothing to get asshurt over.

Like seriously, this is so funny. Im pretty sure I was just pointing out to this Brony about how Nintendo is awesome and stuff and dont to be ashamed over fighting for it. Its one thing is THIS was directed to YOU. Then, please keep your comments to yourself, maaaaan. 

Goodbye. Have a pleasant tomorrow. Farewell. This convo is DONE.

Gunpei Yokoi, the brains behind the Gameboy, happened to be the producer of Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light for the Famicom Disk System.

Shigeru Miyamoto was one of Pokemon Red and Green's producers.

Shigeru Miyamoto and Satoru Iwata, though uncredited, helped with Kirby's Dream Land for the Gameboy.

All three of these titles were the first in their series.

Please give credit where it's due.

Gunpei Yokoi alone is not Nintendo. Neither is Shigeru or Iwata. And 'producer' is not 'developer'. A producer facilitates and oversees coordination between devs, publishers and other parties to, as the job title suggests, get the game produced as efficiently as possible. A developer actually creates the game.

I give credit where it's due. Just not when it's irrelevant to the point.

With all due respect to your opinion, everything quoted here is incorrect and here's why:

1) From an industry standpoint, money and company expectations and all that, the Wii U has already failed. Doesn't mean it can't be enjoyed but let's not kid ourselves: Where it matters, it failed. That's not an insult or even a negative statement so much as simple fact. It will make money, as systems are wont to do, but it will nonetheless struggle and flounder through the remainder of its life cycle. Success is not determined as simply as "Did it make a profit?" but by "What was the profit?" and the Wii U is simply not making enough. Now, if it gets some revolutionary upspike later on, that might change...But we all know that's not going to happen.

2) The Xbox and Playstation owe their success to THEMSELVES. However, they would not exist if Nintendo had not revitalized the industry so they do owe their basic existence to Nintendo. The Playstation in particular, as it was born out of a botched deal between Sony and Nintendo.  But "existence" and "success" are two different things. Please try not to overstate things. It's ignorant at best and plain old fan wank at worst.

3) Nintendo did not MAKE Pokemon, Kirby, or Fire Emblem. They only PUBLISH those titles  Do not give credit where it is not due. (Note: Game Freak of Pokemon game fame develops exclusively for Nintendo so that's an understandable oversight. The rest is just plain old didn't-do-the-research misinformation.)

4) You can say Nintendo is quality. You can say Nintendo is the best of the big names in gaming. But to say they "define video gaming as a whole" is the most asinine sort of hyperbole. I really can't bring myself to even bother explaining this one. Even if you're sleeping with Miyamoto, you just cannot be that blinded by Nintendo love. It's just not possible.

I love the irony of you telling someone what they said was incorrect, and then you say something like this. You clearly have no idea what you're talking about. Fire Emblem was made by Intelligent Systems, an in-house first party Nintendo dev. 

Nintendo are awesome, still got a snes and 4 gameboys. then i have a ds, ds lite, 3ds and wii. just some examples of awesome consoles from nintentdo that i have.