Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Is it wrong if I defend the Wii U, platformers, and Nintendo themselves?

SUPERFOX5

EDIT

...Maybe I should've made this a blog entry... X(

EDIT2

Thank you for your time to look and reply, apparently I was being kinda immature posting this, because I might get mad easily at times.

All of you have great valid points, and kinda help me see what's right and what's wrong about my statement!

I am not that great with arguments and conversations, so this kinda helps me think a bit.

Thank you! ;)

ORIGINAL

I kinda had an argument with my big bro.

He called my Wii U "garbage".
I try to say it is still good.
He asks me to name three games.
I say, "Super Mario 3D World, Nintendo Land, and New Super Mario Bros. U".
He exclaims that those are platformers, and then states that platformers are boring.

I like all these things.

He also thinks Nintendo will die out in 10 years.
I think they will live on forever.

What would you say?

Am I wrong for liking what became popular in the past that is still going on today?
Or should I just keep playing the same repetitive FPS games?

I still like all other game consoles like the Xbox 360 and PS3 (I own both, plus the Wii U), but I will still defend Nintendo.

Edited by SUPERFOX5
  • Brohoof 1

I would probably say something related to "Yeah, I'll play these, you go back to your garbage COD games".

You shouldn't feel bad for defending what you enjoy, hell I defend the hell out of Nintendo products, I love them. 

• Brohoof 5

There's nothing wrong with liking the Wii U and defending your purchase. Personally I don't understand why fanboys are hell bent on making other people feel bad about their purchase. Also platformers being boring is his opinion and he shouldn't try make it a fact.

Also you should get Wonderful 101

• Brohoof 8

My hubs and I decided to get a WiiU for Christmas over one of the two newer consoles, and we're having a blast with it. Super Mario 3D World was a brilliant re-imagining of classic Mario. Pikmin 3, while fiercely aggravating my OCD has been a blast. The fact of the matter is, even if the WiiU fails, 2013 was the best selling year for 3DS, and based on that alone, Nintendo isn't going anywhere. Your brother basically needs to do some research before opening his mouth. Especially because there basically isn't another hand held system that can compare. Vita is plagued with all kinds of nasty issues which Nintendo will never have, because they're just better built machines. I mean, my NES still works from 25 years ago, yet my PS2 crapped out relatively quickly comparably. 

• Brohoof 5

Don't feel bad to defend what you like. Play what you enjoy with no regrets, don't let this sort of thing pressure you into playing things you don't enjoy. What's the point of gaming then? I still play Mario and Pokemon games because they're fun to me. And evidently they're fun for many people in my class as well, I keep streetpassing around 10 people every day.

If you really need an offensive retaliation, you could say "Oh yeah, because having ten thousand first person shooters is obviously much better."

Edited by Celtore
  • Brohoof 1

If the mark of maturity for a game is having extreme amounts of blood and nightmare fuel, then maybe get a 3DS and play Phoenix Wright: Dual Destinies.

Honestly, I don't own a Wii U but I mildly support it; and I own a 3DS. I think the gamepad is a bit of a gimmick, but Nintendo still makes some great games.

Nah, if you like the Wii U, defend it. Personally, it seems like a lot of the time people that dislike Nintendo are gamers of COD and such. Just as well as Nintendo fans disliking COD and the other things that they play. Nintendo fans and the fans of Sony often argue, not gonna lie. :P But the point is is that they both defend what they like. I love the Wii U. I've never had a better console in my life. The games are always a beauty to look at and are often the funnest games I've played. I get bashed a little bit because everyone else is on their XBox and PS3, but I don't let their negativity stop me from liking what I like. :)

Edited by FeIix

"Platformers are boring" is a horrid generalization and he should feel bad. That said...

You listed three things. One is a sad Mario rehash. One is a big Nintendo ad masquerading as a party game. Not a great case you've made. And to top it off, you spat out the same lame Nintendo fanboy line about how repetitive the FPS genre is, meanwhile Nintendo mostly just rehashes old nostalgic favorites again and again. Double standards are nobody's friend.

Now, to business:

The Wii U is garbage. Even today, it fails to meet expectations. Even Nintendo basically considers it a failure already. Now, why did it fail? Four reasons:

1) Despite claiming otherwise, Nintendo still caters to the casual and kiddie crowd. The Wii U is a system for children, it's a system parents buy to keep their brats distracted. But most who would identify as gamers are not children. Now, some full-on gamers enjoy the Wii U. But...The pandering cannot be denied. The system suffers for it.

2) Little to no third-party support. Nintendo's image and reputation makes third parties hesitant, and Nintendo is stingy with who they let onto their consoles in the first place. This is a recipe for disaster, full stop. And this problem relates to the next reason...

3) Nintendo thrives primarily on beating dead horses. The same old franchises they've always had, endlessly rehashed and spit out at customers for the nostalgia profits. Repetition and dead horses are a fault in every gaming company but it's worse with Nintendo because these dead horses are basically their entire flagship. Nobody knows Sony or Microsoft just for Battlefield. Yet when someone asks what Nintendo is known for, they'll say "Mario". Flagships should never end up becoming dead horse franchises. They need to move on, period.

4) The Wii U is just a gimmick. "Look at this touchpad tablet! Isn't it so quirky and inventive?!" - No, it's a gimmick. A neat idea in theory that fails pretty hard in practice, much like the Wiimote before it. I know, I tried both. Nintendo is more about controller gimmicks than games now and it's terrible. Ever heard "Don't fix what isn't broken"? Lay off the gimmicks, focus on your PRODUCT.

In short: Platformers are often great but the Wii U is an undeniable failure and Nintendo itself is a dinosaur trapped in a tar pit of Mario and failed gimmicks.

Also, tell your bro to play Catherine. It's a great platformer.

• Brohoof 1

Hey, I sold 5 Wii U's in 10 minutes at my last job. Wii U's can't be that bad, ya know?

Plot Twist: I didn't even work in that section.

*aside glance to the Wii U's sales figures compared to expectations, and adjusted expectations caused by lousy sales, and lowered Nintendo stock* :huh: If you think five units means anything, you need to look into how this little industry works... :lol:

If the mark of maturity for a game is having extreme amounts of blood and nightmare fuel, then maybe get a 3DS and play Phoenix Wright: Dual Destinies.

Honestly, I don't own a Wii U but I mildly support it; and I own a 3DS. I think the gamepad is a bit of a gimmick, but Nintendo still makes some great games.

I would absolutely recommend a 3DS...Nintendo is bad consoles (stationary systems), great handhelds. And who can dislike a game where Santa runs a courtroom?

He exclaims that those are platformers, and then states that platformers are boring.

I like all these things.

What would you say?

Am I wrong for liking what became popular in the past that is still going on today?

I still like all other game consoles like the Xbox 360 and PS3 (I own both, plus the Wii U), but I will still defend Nintendo.

I would say that you are sort of raising my ire for saying that all games are either platformers or FPSs (As an avid RPG player, it always makes me angry when people pretend they don't exist), but you are entitled to your opinion. However, from a business perspective I have to say that Nintendo is having trouble. The combination of insisting on having a different processor architecture, meaning that ports are basically impossible, and not providing many high-tier games (To be honest, having 3 good games of one genre doesn't make the console sound that inviting) may be the death knell for nintendo's home console division. Unless they get their act together, they will cease to exist soon.

*slams guidebook on desk*

LET'S TALK NINTENDO AND PLATFORMERS

For starters, platformers. As with any video game genre, not the kind of genre for everyone. It's clearly not for your older brother, which is fine. However, to say platformers are, in general and by nature, boring, is completely unfair and downright false.

One of the things that make platformers so great is that they can be simple WITHOUT being boring. It's honestly more than getting from point A to point B, even if that IS the primary gist of it. Platformers, even early ones, focus around strategy and careful level exploration in order to reach your goal by means of getting past obstacles and coming through alive. Some can be fairly straightforward, like Super Mario, Sonic, and Klonoa, which are primarily focused on reaching the end of a stage before time runs out. Others are more complex with a wide array of exploration, like Super Mario 64 or Crash Twinsanity, which does mainly center around getting from point A to point B but also put a certain emphasis on exploration and freedom, allowing free range and safe exploration to get to the story at your own leisure. One factor that even platformer-defenders tend to set aside is the variety and options platformers can offer. Getting from point A to point B can be boring, so there needs to be ways to add challenge, or at least more variety. In games like Super Mario, Mario is constantly surrounded by enemies and pitfalls that can end him easily, but he's also given Fire Flowers and invincibility stars and whatnot to play through levels with different means of survival and opposition in order to make it to the goal either safely or with more risk and danger. In open-world games like Super Mario 64 the aspect of exploration and leisure is still emphasized by a set goal you need to achieve. A wider world means more obstacles in your way and more powerups to find to add more challenge. You can take advantage of your environment and whatever's scattered around it to travel the overworld or it's levels in different and unique ways. Platformers have both variety and challenge, so to call them "boring" is a completely shallow statement.

Onto the Wii U. Many note that the Wii U is a flop. This statement is false. The Wii U's only fault was that it did not meet expectations. Sales were expected to be much higher than they ended up being, and as a result, people assumed it had failed. I confess I have not played the console myself, but it appears to be a fine console, albeit not too innovative past the portable screen and whatnot. It has many new mechanics and can handle more than the Wii, allowing for new possibilities and new games to come. It may not be the best success of the new generation, but it is NOT a failure of a console, and it does NOT suck.

Now, onto Nintendo himself.

... Your brother is wrong.

Nintendo has been around since 1889, but more relevantly, have been making video games for eons, most notably making fun games everyone can enjoy since 1985. The NES was not only a success, but it saved the video game industry single-handedly. Consoles like the Xbox and Playstation owe their success to the popularity of the Nintendo Entertainment System of 1985. But of course, that console alone can't fully prove my point.

What I should note, however, is that Nintendo HAS had failures in the past. The Nintendo Virtual Boy, a revolutionary-but-incredibly-inconvenient 3D-style console, was a commercial flop in every way, and it costed Nintendo quite a bit. But here's the thing: Nintendo was still going strong as ever anyways. Why? Because Nintendo is still a great company. They make great games in Super Mario, Pokemon, Kirby, Legend of Zelda, Fire Emblem, and god knows how many others. Their consoles, when they're good, are REALLY, REALLY good. The 3DS proves this down to the wire, with amazing games such as Kid Icarus: Uprising and Pokemon X/Y.

Nintendo's been going on with video games for nearly 3 decades now. And it's nowhere NEAR done. While to say it will last forever, or even for a century, is perhaps too bold, Nintendo is a quality company that defines video gaming as a whole. And it is nowhere near gone.

... In the end, though, your brother's a jerk for forcing his opinion and calling it the truth like that.

Edited by SomariFeyWright

There is nothing wrong with liking the Wii U and Nintendo. Play the games that you personally enjoy. People shouldn't harp on someone because they enjoy certain games. I really don't like how gamers seem to argue over what games and systems are better and not just enjoy what they like.

it is NOT a failure of a console

Consoles like the Xbox and Playstation owe their success to the popularity of the Nintendo Entertainment System of 1985.

They make great games in Super Mario, Pokemon, Kirby, Legend of Zelda, Fire Emblem, and god knows how many others. Their consoles, when they're good, are REALLY, REALLY good.

Nintendo is a quality company that defines video gaming as a whole.

With all due respect to your opinion, everything quoted here is incorrect and here's why:

1) From an industry standpoint, money and company expectations and all that, the Wii U has already failed. Doesn't mean it can't be enjoyed but let's not kid ourselves: Where it matters, it failed. That's not an insult or even a negative statement so much as simple fact. It will make money, as systems are wont to do, but it will nonetheless struggle and flounder through the remainder of its life cycle. Success is not determined as simply as "Did it make a profit?" but by "What was the profit?" and the Wii U is simply not making enough. Now, if it gets some revolutionary upspike later on, that might change...But we all know that's not going to happen.

2) The Xbox and Playstation owe their success to THEMSELVES. However, they would not exist if Nintendo had not revitalized the industry so they do owe their basic existence to Nintendo. The Playstation in particular, as it was born out of a botched deal between Sony and Nintendo.  But "existence" and "success" are two different things. Please try not to overstate things. It's ignorant at best and plain old fan wank at worst.

3) Nintendo did not MAKE Pokemon, Kirby, or Fire Emblem. They only PUBLISH those titles  Do not give credit where it is not due. (Note: Game Freak of Pokemon game fame develops exclusively for Nintendo so that's an understandable oversight. The rest is just plain old didn't-do-the-research misinformation.)

4) You can say Nintendo is quality. You can say Nintendo is the best of the big names in gaming. But to say they "define video gaming as a whole" is the most asinine sort of hyperbole. I really can't bring myself to even bother explaining this one. Even if you're sleeping with Miyamoto, you just cannot be that blinded by Nintendo love. It's just not possible.

I like all these things.

What would you say?

I say you learn how to construct a proper argument and how to have an in depth discussion. You know you might be able to defend a point of some kind then.

A lot of people just rely on being the most popular opinion or the loudest to win an argument. Don't be that person.

No you're not wrong for liking it but you're wrong to defend something you don't know anything about or how to defend

:) but your big bro had no right to say that the Wii U sucks. It isn't a fact and it can't be proven. ;)

You can feel the bias oozing out.

(Don't do this)

I'm a big Nintendo fan. There handhelds mostly.

I feel Nintendo made some dumb decisions with the Wii U but I'm gonna come out and say it, it's library has more great games than it's competitors do. This is subject to change though.

I honestly feel that Nintendo is the last true gaming company making systems. Microsoft is mostly corporate and so was Sony, though I feel they are more in touch with the common gamer with PS4. Nintendo is traditional to a fault. I both respect and worry for them because of this.

Its not wrong in any way at all. We all have our preferences in genre, and yours happens to be platformers.

If thats wrong then an CoD player defending FPS games is wrong!